Jump to topic:

CFZ Mormon Version of American History

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 8:49:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am aware that the Mormons believe a group of Hebrews migrated to the Americas in Bible times and established a nation called the "Nephites". But could a member of the Church of Latter Day Saints provide a comprehensive explanation of the Mormon version of American history as described in the various texts of the Book of Mormon?
Thanks in advance. :)
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Moroni23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 9:32:13 PM
At 3/5/2015 8:49:01 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I am aware that the Mormons believe a group of Hebrews migrated to the Americas in Bible times and established a nation called the "Nephites". But could a member of the Church of Latter Day Saints provide a comprehensive explanation of the Mormon version of American history as described in the various texts of the Book of Mormon?

Hello I'm LDS and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Are you asking for us to give you an account of the history of this contentent before it became America? When I hear 'American History' I think of 1776-Today.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 9:35:22 PM
At 3/5/2015 9:32:13 PM, Moroni23 wrote:

Hello I'm LDS and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Are you asking for us to give you an account of the history of this contentent before it became America? When I hear 'American History' I think of 1776-Today.

I'm referring to the history of the Americas as described in the Book of Mormon.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Moroni23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 10:03:07 PM
At 3/5/2015 9:35:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I'm referring to the history of the Americas as described in the Book of Mormon.

Well the Book of Mormon covers a period of about 3000 BC to 400 AD. We don't know exactly where they setteled in the Americans but the Book of Mormon states that there were other nations besides the Nephites and the Laminates. Meaing we don't claim that all native americans are desendents from Jerusalem, only this particular civilizations. Over the period of 3500 years the civilization grew very large and was involved in many wars and then eventually died out.

The Book of Mormons claim is a simple one, that God loved the whole earth and not just the Middle East. We know that there were people living on this side of the world and it makes absolutely perfect sense to believe that God loved them and wanted to communicate with them as well. The Book of Mormon is a record of the history of Gods people in the Americans.

Is there anything more specific I can elaborate on?
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 10:18:21 PM
At 3/5/2015 10:03:07 PM, Moroni23 wrote:

Well the Book of Mormon covers a period of about 3000 BC to 400 AD. We don't know exactly where they setteled in the Americans but the Book of Mormon states that there were other nations besides the Nephites and the Laminates. Meaing we don't claim that all native americans are desendents from Jerusalem, only this particular civilizations. Over the period of 3500 years the civilization grew very large and was involved in many wars and then eventually died out.

The Book of Mormons claim is a simple one, that God loved the whole earth and not just the Middle East. We know that there were people living on this side of the world and it makes absolutely perfect sense to believe that God loved them and wanted to communicate with them as well. The Book of Mormon is a record of the history of Gods people in the Americans.

Is there any trace of this civilization that existed up until 1500 years ago and then died out?
Moroni23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 10:24:16 PM
At 3/5/2015 10:18:21 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Is there any trace of this civilization that existed up until 1500 years ago and then died out?

Well there are many traces of civilizations exisiting on this contenet for thousands of years. We know that many native americans have genes relating themselfs to Western European civilizations. If you are asking if there is any evidence that they specifically wrote the book of mormon the answer is no, similar to the argument about God. No strong evidenc for it, or against. Just the lack thereof and the hope that you can have faith.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 10:28:27 PM
At 3/5/2015 10:24:16 PM, Moroni23 wrote:
At 3/5/2015 10:18:21 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Well there are many traces of civilizations exisiting on this contenet for thousands of years. We know that many native americans have genes relating themselfs to Western European civilizations. If you are asking if there is any evidence that they specifically wrote the book of mormon the answer is no, similar to the argument about God. No strong evidenc for it, or against. Just the lack thereof and the hope that you can have faith.

Okay, but what about the question that I asked? This civilization that existed for 3500 years and then died out. What remains of them are there?

Isn't the idea that the native Americans split from the Europeans quite some time ago? What's interesting or relevant about them having a recent genetic connection in the context of my question? Just not seeing the connection here.