Jump to topic:

What made you believe in God/any god?

Itani
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 8:39:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I had a personal experience that made me believe that there's something watching over us. Did you ever have an experience like that? If so, what was it?
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -Lord Acton

🔯`51; Has science gone to far? `51;🔯
Moroni23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 9:14:07 PM
At 3/7/2015 8:39:00 PM, Itani wrote:
I had a personal experience that made me believe that there's something watching over us. Did you ever have an experience like that? If so, what was it?

I have had may many experience that made me beleive without a doubt that there is in fact a living God that loves me. Many of my experiences are very sacrad and personal to me so I do not feel comfortable posting them on the internet.

When you get so close to God that you start to understand and know his will, you will feel his presence in your live. You will feel a fire burning in your heart and a peace and a comfort that is indescribable. This feeling is also known as the Holy Gohst. This to me is always and will always be the greatest evidence to me that God exists. I was an Atheist for about two years and during that time I made it my mission to search for those same feelings. There is nothing else in this world that can generate those feeligns besides the Holy Gohst. I can promise you that those feelings only come when you reach a certain level of love for God. As a formor Atheist who also saw the light once said "Twas grace that taught my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed."
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 9:29:59 PM

No. Mine was more about forgiveness. I was a perfectionist who didn't forgive those I labeled as imperfect or bad. I then would say they needed to die or be sheltered from the world. I claimed to be a Christian, but I never knew what it meant. When I understood the Christian celebration for easter and why Christ died on the cross, I actually started to change because I thought, if this guy can easily forgive, then I can. And when I took the dare, it changed my life.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 9:32:38 PM

God spoke into my mind these words, "I AM YOUR CREATOR". Ever since then, every time He came into my mind to give me commands to obey, I instantly knew it was our Creator.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 5:20:52 AM
At 3/7/2015 9:29:59 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

No. Mine was more about forgiveness. I was a perfectionist who didn't forgive those I labeled as imperfect or bad. I then would say they needed to die or be sheltered from the world. I claimed to be a Christian, but I never knew what it meant. When I understood the Christian celebration for easter and why Christ died on the cross, I actually started to change because I thought, if this guy can easily forgive, then I can. And when I took the dare, it changed my life.

its God committing suicide not forgiveness, if you want to forgive somebody u just forgive that easy. you dont have to kill somebody for all the rapists or psychopaths to forgive them, people had lost lifes and if Jesus would pay them just by "believing" what logic is that???? instead to punish the murdrers you kill innocent guy and they going to enjoy entire life in paradise.
Never fart near dog
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 5:53:57 AM

Even when I was a believer, as a young person, I never had any feeling of the presence of a deity.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 12:44:47 PM

Actually I feel that I have always believed (known) that God is real. But only after I begin to read the Bible I have started to know him.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 12:48:41 PM

I needed answers that current science couldn't solve for me, and are unlikely to be solved.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 1:40:38 PM
At 3/8/2015 5:20:52 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

its God committing suicide not forgiveness, if you want to forgive somebody u just forgive that easy. you dont have to kill somebody for all the rapists or psychopaths to forgive them, people had lost lifes and if Jesus would pay them just by "believing" what logic is that???? instead to punish the murdrers you kill innocent guy and they going to enjoy entire life in paradise.

Jesus let himself die so that there would be no need for rituals or repenting sacrifices. No need to have to lose a limb. According to some of Sharia, if your hand must be cut off, you can prevent it by asking for forgiveness. The sentence will be forgiven. Not only will you lose your hand when you don't forgive, but you'll be destined for hell (if I am correct.) With Christ, if you reject him, then you'll be alive and only be destined for hell without losing a limb. Then you can ask for forgiveness later and be accepted into the kingdom.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 2:42:33 PM
I believed in God because I was told he was real. As soon as I opened up my mind to the arguments for and against I realized that the arguments for had no substantiation, so I no longer believe.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 3:01:55 PM

I believed in God because I was brought up knowing no other way. I remember the first time I ever met an atheist - I could not fathom how he could disbelieve. The first question I asked him was what he believed would happen when he died. I attribute this question to my own need to have an explanation for death and beyond, and of course, "God" was my answer at the time.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 8:01:57 PM
At 3/8/2015 1:40:38 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Jesus let himself die so that there would be no need for rituals or repenting sacrifices. No need to have to lose a limb.

yeah great logic now murders and rapirsts enjoying life and will continue like this in paradise. amazing logic you christians have.

According to some of Sharia, if your hand must be cut off, you can prevent it by asking for forgiveness.

no.... Law is a Law if somebody ruined somebody's life he must be punished by the same evil that guy did if the victim dont forgive him, and in the hereafter God can do to him anything to that criminal. there is no escaping here by only believing easy way out, what do you think millions of people who died by american troops in Iraq would forgive them? go tell their family victims about Jesus forgiveness see how they would treat you.

The sentence will be forgiven. Not only will you lose your hand when you don't forgive, but you'll be destined for hell (if I am correct.)

its childish argument and emotional one... what you would do with robbers murdrers rapists like ISIS guys ha? you simply forgive them right? dude you are not living in paradise we are on earth get down here....

With Christ, if you reject him, then you'll be alive and only be destined for hell without losing a limb. Then you can ask for forgiveness later and be accepted into the kingdom.

you making things up. you really dont believe in your bible and what it says. according to your bible if i die not believing in Jesus i would go to hell forever, not only i will lose limb but also will burned alive forever. thats your bible, trying to create some guy called "Jesus" (not according to Islam) as a lovely guy who forgives all.. yeah sure same God of OT. the same God you call Jesus curses the any non-jews as swines and dogs. the same God who wil burn us alive forever.
Never fart near dog
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 8:43:40 PM
At 3/8/2015 8:01:57 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 3/8/2015 1:40:38 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Jesus let himself die so that there would be no need for rituals or repenting sacrifices. No need to have to lose a limb.

yeah great logic now murders and rapirsts enjoying life and will continue like this in paradise. amazing logic you christians have.

According to some of Sharia, if your hand must be cut off, you can prevent it by asking for forgiveness.

no.... Law is a Law if somebody ruined somebody's life he must be punished by the same evil that guy did if the victim dont forgive him, and in the hereafter God can do to him anything to that criminal. there is no escaping here by only believing easy way out, what do you think millions of people who died by american troops in Iraq would forgive them? go tell their family victims about Jesus forgiveness see how they would treat you.

The sentence will be forgiven. Not only will you lose your hand when you don't forgive, but you'll be destined for hell (if I am correct.)

its childish argument and emotional one... what you would do with robbers murdrers rapists like ISIS guys ha? you simply forgive them right? dude you are not living in paradise we are on earth get down here....

With Christ, if you reject him, then you'll be alive and only be destined for hell without losing a limb. Then you can ask for forgiveness later and be accepted into the kingdom.

you making things up. you really dont believe in your bible and what it says. according to your bible if i die not believing in Jesus i would go to hell forever, not only i will lose limb but also will burned alive forever. thats your bible, trying to create some guy called "Jesus" (not according to Islam) as a lovely guy who forgives all.. yeah sure same God of OT. the same God you call Jesus curses the any non-jews as swines and dogs. the same God who wil burn us alive forever.

So if somebody raped someone, no matter what Islamic thing the person does, Allah won't forgive that person?

Also, when we die without repentance, our SPIRITS go to hell, not our fleshy bodies.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 8:52:36 PM

Yes. I have had so many answered prayers I cannot count them all. There are too many I have had that there simply is no way that they are all coincidences. I have also felt the influence of the Holy Ghost, also known as the Spirit of God in my life. So yes, I believe.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 9:12:23 PM
And what of those people who have a spiritual encounter and it brings them closer to Vishnu, it gives them an understanding of his will?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Itani
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 9:50:22 PM
Thank you for all the answers! They show me how our faith can get us through tough times. My experience was a very hard period of time, and I hadn't ever preyed before and wasn't very religous. So, right when I preyed, it seems things began to get better. And it wasn't even for me (so you know it wasn't psychological or anything like that) but it was for another person. I never told them I preyed for them, since I never was religous before that
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -Lord Acton

🔯`51; Has science gone to far? `51;🔯