Jump to topic:

A Call to Atheists and Agnostics

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 6:36:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have just seen another promising thread (Pauline Epistles) derailed by the likes of BoG and MCB and the people responding to them. If we are ever going to get any serious discussion happening in this forum, we have to start ignoring these kooks. When I see a series of pointless exchanges involving them, I quickly lose interest in the thread. I notice we already do it with rant and Bendido. Pretty much everyone just avoids their threads. We should treat BoG and MCB the same way, unless a miracle happens and they actually contribute something interesting and worthwhile.

Now before you call me a hypocrite, I admit I have been guilty of engaging with BoG and MCB too. Mea culpa. However, that will now stop. I can see that any exchange with them is an exercise in futility. BoG is going to continue with his delusions of being a saint forever and MCB is just here as an apologist for the JW cult, hoping that his good deeds will get him back in the fold. They rarely, if ever, have anything new to add to any discussion. For example, MCB has confessed that he has absolutely no imagination!

Posters like BoG and MCB need an audience, BoG because he is an attention seeker and MCB because he needs to be seen as doing good work as an evangelist for the JWs. If we ignore them, surely they will lose interest or be forced into doing what this site is here for - actually engaging in meaningful debate.

What do people think?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 7:15:52 PM
At 3/8/2015 6:36:03 PM, dee-em wrote:
I have just seen another promising thread (Pauline Epistles) derailed by the likes of BoG and MCB and the people responding to them. If we are ever going to get any serious discussion happening in this forum, we have to start ignoring these kooks. When I see a series of pointless exchanges involving them, I quickly lose interest in the thread. I notice we already do it with rant and Bendido. Pretty much everyone just avoids their threads. We should treat BoG and MCB the same way, unless a miracle happens and they actually contribute something interesting and worthwhile.

Now before you call me a hypocrite, I admit I have been guilty of engaging with BoG and MCB too. Mea culpa. However, that will now stop. I can see that any exchange with them is an exercise in futility. BoG is going to continue with his delusions of being a saint forever and MCB is just here as an apologist for the JW cult, hoping that his good deeds will get him back in the fold. They rarely, if ever, have anything new to add to any discussion. For example, MCB has confessed that he has absolutely no imagination!

Posters like BoG and MCB need an audience, BoG because he is an attention seeker and MCB because he needs to be seen as doing good work as an evangelist for the JWs. If we ignore them, surely they will lose interest or be forced into doing what this site is here for - actually engaging in meaningful debate.

What do people think?

I agree, we should avoid off topic discussion with attention seekers. They are rewarded and we suffer with the never ending same ol' discussions.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 7:17:14 PM
At 3/8/2015 7:11:33 PM, Wylted wrote:
Don't feed the trolls. Easy as that.

Succinctly put. You and bulproof have that knack.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 7:25:15 PM

What do people think?

I agree that they get way more attention than they deserve and I don't know why anyone bothers with them. Most theists out there talk to God, but when you find yourself arguing with a theist who claims that God talks back you can forget about rational discussion. Just move on.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 4:42:24 PM
... unless a miracle happens and they actually contribute something interesting and worthwhile.

Maybe we should also ignore you until you contribute something interesting and worthwhile?
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 4:52:37 PM

What do people think?

I had a pretty long, and for me, fairly enjoyable exchange with BOG. Of course this exchange was prompted by my question "is it fair to reject all human claims regarding gods?" This offered me a good way not to even engage on their religious claims. This shifted the discussion away from BOG's religious claims, and forced BOG to argue why I should listen to humans. In the end, he just tapped out and gave up. So there may be places where a discussion is fruitful with these evangelizers. But, you have to frame the discussion careful to actually get to some substance.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 7:30:29 PM
At 3/9/2015 4:42:24 PM, 12_13 wrote:
... unless a miracle happens and they actually contribute something interesting and worthwhile.

Maybe we should also ignore you until you contribute something interesting and worthwhile?

Do you mean like this thread which has generated 212 posts and counting?

http://www.debate.org...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 7:39:46 PM
At 3/9/2015 4:52:37 PM, NoMagic wrote:

What do people think?

I had a pretty long, and for me, fairly enjoyable exchange with BOG. Of course this exchange was prompted by my question "is it fair to reject all human claims regarding gods?" This offered me a good way not to even engage on their religious claims. This shifted the discussion away from BOG's religious claims, and forced BOG to argue why I should listen to humans. In the end, he just tapped out and gave up. So there may be places where a discussion is fruitful with these evangelizers. But, you have to frame the discussion careful to actually get to some substance.

I haven't seen that thread but I don't doubt it. I have no personal animosity towards either BoG or MCB. BoG is harmless and MCB has such a positive vibe that it's almost infectious. He doesn't retaliate no matter what insults he receives. I just find it annoying when they pollute serious threads. That is my point. Once some atheist bites and the predictable exchanges begin it ruins the thread for everyone. By all means, if they start a thread and you want to participate, please do so. Just don't get into the monotonous argy bargy that we're all heartily sick of. /end_rant
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 8:14:15 PM
At 3/9/2015 7:39:46 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 3/9/2015 4:52:37 PM, NoMagic wrote:

What do people think?

I haven't seen that thread but I don't doubt it. I have no personal animosity towards either BoG or MCB. BoG is harmless and MCB has such a positive vibe that it's almost infectious. He doesn't retaliate no matter what insults he receives. I just find it annoying when they pollute serious threads. That is my point. Once some atheist bites and the predictable exchanges begin it ruins the thread for everyone. By all means, if they start a thread and you want to participate, please do so. Just don't get into the monotonous argy bargy that we're all heartily sick of. /end_rant

Don't get me wrong, I'm in general agreement with you. Endless "witnessing" and their reluctance to answer questions is a conversation stopper. Celestialteacher is another one. Seems as though he merely wants to witness and won't answer any of my questions. Makes claims that atheism isn't rational and then won't support the claims when asked.
vampiress
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 8:43:49 PM

What do people think?
Sensible. We can test this out once one of them awakens, and comments below.
I'm willing to bet someone's gonna reply lol.