Jump to topic:

How To: Ask for Unbiased Votes

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 4:49:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Step 1: Send a message to someone generally interested & knowledgeable about the debate topic
Step 2: Say nothing about the arguments in the debate
Step 3: Say nothing about your opponent

This ensures voters enter the debate with a clean slate.

Possible biases:
1. If asking someone you know to vote, reassure them that votes against you are OK (I myself do this when I ask whiteflame, mikecuber, Ajab, etc.)
2. Ask people not generally invested in the conclusion of the debate (hard to do on some topics)
3. If #3 is not possible, ask people with a voting history of voting for or against their pre-existing beliefs (the three people I listed are generally my go-to people for that, but most good voters indeed do this, if you have someone with 100 votes, and rarely if ever voting against their pre-existing beliefs, or only voting if a FF or something, then they are probably not a very good voter).

----------------------------------------------
Now NOT to Conduct Yourselves After a Vote:
1. Do NOT harass the voters in PM, voter harassment is not against the TOS, thus anyone being harassed in the PMs should report the conversation to airmax.
2. Further to #1, keep all questions within the comments section itself so your opponent is aware of them.
3. Do NOT make forum posts attacking your opponent/arguments and then linking to the debate itself - this is a form of poisoning the well since it implicitly demands "correct votes"

Your questions of the vote should never be to change the vote, but for clarification, since this allows for harrassment-bias. We don't want everyone harrassing every voter to get as many votes as possible. We have had multiple incidents on this already in the past, and all are severely frowned upon.

If the opponent's vote doesn't meet the criterea of sufficiency (which is rather low) then the vote should just be reported and it will be removed. No harassment needed.

That's my piece.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 7:15:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/9/2015 6:58:55 AM, IceCreamforBreakfast wrote:
That's it, I was going to vote for envisage, but now I have to switch sides. Reason: Conduct.

=p