Jump to topic:

Objective truth vs Subjective truth

GainWisdom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 12:18:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Objective truth is another word for Absolute truth. Subjective truth is another word for relativism,(I think).... For example: Chocolate ice cream is the best ice cream flavor ever. Objective truth is a statement like this: "George Washington was the first President of the U.S.A. You can't argue that. However, you can argue something that is subjectively true.

What I can't understand is how people refuse to believe in moral absolutes, another word for moral truths.

As human beings, we have the capacity to feel with moral implications, to exercise the gift of imagination, and to think in paradigms. We make judgments according to the way we each individually view or interpret the world around us. Even if we do not agree with each other on what ought to be, we recognize that there must be"and that there is"an "ought." For example, we all ought to behave in certain ways or else we cannot get along, which is why we have laws. In short, we ascribe to ourselves freedom with boundaries.

How do you view Absolute truths? Are you in favor of it? Why or why not.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 4:38:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/9/2015 12:18:49 PM, GainWisdom wrote:
Objective truth is a statement like this: "George Washington was the first President of the U.S.A.

If I would want, I could do that and you couldn"t really prove it absolutely true, you could only give evidence that I should believe because someone claims it is true.