Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Your God is real ?

Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 9:54:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There is no shortage of people claiming that their God is real. But they also have no problem talking about other Gods or other peoples Gods are mere fiction.

So what I would like to know is why anyone should accept your God as "real" as opposed to just another imagery God.

Can your God belief stand up to scrutiny It should be noted that any reason you give for justification for you God that can also be used to justify a God of fiction means you don't have a good justifications. I will give some examples..........

My God has claims made about what it done or has not done written down a long time ago.

Yeah so do many other Gods, not a good argument.

Prayer to my God worked, once I prayer to God for such and such

Yes, confirmation bias works on all Gods, count the hits and ignore the misses, not a good argument.

I have a religious experience of my GOd

Yes, and so do other people of other Gods. I would note the high correlation of prior religious indoctrination and the God one finds/experiences.

I belong to a group where we claim we are Gods chosen and live in Gods truth of the one true God and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do is evil.

Justification by circle jerk ? not a good argument.............

I hope it would go without saying that you not let your own pride get in the way of such objective analysis, no no no, my God is real, it has to be. I can't be wrong.

So what is your reason for thinking your God is real and not just another imaginary God ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
frbnsn
Posts: 353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 4:20:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 9:54:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There is no shortage of people claiming that their God is real. But they also have no problem talking about other Gods or other peoples Gods are mere fiction.

So what I would like to know is why anyone should accept your God as "real" as opposed to just another imagery God.

Can your God belief stand up to scrutiny It should be noted that any reason you give for justification for you God that can also be used to justify a God of fiction means you don't have a good justifications. I will give some examples..........

My God has claims made about what it done or has not done written down a long time ago.

Yeah so do many other Gods, not a good argument.

Prayer to my God worked, once I prayer to God for such and such

Yes, confirmation bias works on all Gods, count the hits and ignore the misses, not a good argument.

I have a religious experience of my GOd

Yes, and so do other people of other Gods. I would note the high correlation of prior religious indoctrination and the God one finds/experiences.

I belong to a group where we claim we are Gods chosen and live in Gods truth of the one true God and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do is evil.

Justification by circle jerk ? not a good argument.............

I hope it would go without saying that you not let your own pride get in the way of such objective analysis, no no no, my God is real, it has to be. I can't be wrong.

So what is your reason for thinking your God is real and not just another imaginary God ?

Dear Illegalcombanant,
There is only one God.
People want to try to show his god biggest. as if many gods were.
ethang5
Posts: 4,117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 9:58:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 9:54:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There is no shortage of people claiming that their God is real. But they also have no problem talking about other Gods or other peoples Gods are mere fiction.

So what I would like to know is why anyone should accept your God as "real" as opposed to just another imagery God.

Can your God belief stand up to scrutiny It should be noted that any reason you give for justification for you God that can also be used to justify a God of fiction means you don't have a good justifications. I will give some examples..........

My God has claims made about what it done or has not done written down a long time ago.

Yeah so do many other Gods, not a good argument.

But were the authors equally credible? Are they equally trustworthy? Were the circumstances of the passing down of the book equally credible? Are the facts within the book dependable? Did the books all equally impress the world? See, if you dispense with the details, even a sea cow will look like a mermaid.

Prayer to my God worked, once I prayer to God for such and such

Yes, confirmation bias works on all Gods, count the hits and ignore the misses, not a good argument.

I agree.

I have a religious experience of my GOd

Yes, and so do other people of other Gods. I would note the high correlation of prior religious indoctrination and the God one finds/experiences.

Yet one can see a clear difference in the world between believers of the different religions. In Africa where I currently live, there are thousands of hospitals, schools, and missions for the poor and needy built and sustained by private people of one religion. Some dating back to more than 300 years.

The opposition to slavery in America was almost exclusively by one religion. The opposition to tyranny in South America has almost exclusively been by one religion.

I belong to a group where we claim we are Gods chosen and live in Gods truth of the one true God and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do is evil.

Justification by circle jerk ? not a good argument.............

See, if you dispense with the details, even a sea cow will look like a mermaid. Watch,
"I belong to a group where we claim we are democratic and live by the rule of law of true human rights and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do are despotic and totalitarian states."
Do you know any country which denies this of themselves? Yet there are good and bad countries.

See?

I hope it would go without saying that you not let your own pride get in the way of such objective analysis, no no no, my God is real, it has to be. I can't be wrong.

If you think your post was "objective" then you don't know what objective means. Your post was too general to draw any useful information from it. But that is the point isn't it? Without the details, girls look like boys. All color looks gray. All music sounds like noise. You don't want that color to stand out, so you dim the lights and then claim that everything is gray.

So what is your reason for thinking your God is real and not just another imaginary God ?

The details.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 2:32:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 9:54:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There is no shortage of people claiming that their God is real. But they also have no problem talking about other Gods or other peoples Gods are mere fiction.

So what I would like to know is why anyone should accept your God as "real" as opposed to just another imagery God.

Can your God belief stand up to scrutiny It should be noted that any reason you give for justification for you God that can also be used to justify a God of fiction means you don't have a good justifications. I will give some examples..........

My God has claims made about what it done or has not done written down a long time ago.

Yeah so do many other Gods, not a good argument.

Prayer to my God worked, once I prayer to God for such and such

Yes, confirmation bias works on all Gods, count the hits and ignore the misses, not a good argument.

I have a religious experience of my GOd

Yes, and so do other people of other Gods. I would note the high correlation of prior religious indoctrination and the God one finds/experiences.

I belong to a group where we claim we are Gods chosen and live in Gods truth of the one true God and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do is evil.

Justification by circle jerk ? not a good argument.............

I hope it would go without saying that you not let your own pride get in the way of such objective analysis, no no no, my God is real, it has to be. I can't be wrong.

So what is your reason for thinking your God is real and not just another imaginary God ?

Because it's simple,

God is to be defined as follows. Supreme.

Supreme means the first in rank or the highest authority.

That's who God is.

So you don't have to know which God it is, all you have to know is that is who God is. The highest authority.

Now, Secondly.

If at least one God exists,

Then,

He can bring all other Gods into existence, simply by expanding plenary portions of Himself, a bit like self replication,

God can either make the replications of Himself exactly identical in attributes or He could emanate a God who is not exactly identical but would still be a god, lower capital. Meaning His replica would still be extremely powerful in potency and attributes but just not as powerful.

So in essence, If at east one God exists, He could expand plenary portions of Himself, and bring every other god into existence.

simple, after all He is God.
12_13
Posts: 1,365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 3:13:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 9:54:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
So what is your reason for thinking your God is real and not just another imaginary God ?

Actually I have no difficulty to accept that many gods may exist. For example some kept golden calf as their God and today we can found one on Wall Street. Obviously it can exist, however I wouldn"t keep it as my God. Same is with all other so called gods. Even if they would exist, I wouldn"t keep them as my God.

Reason is that they have caused nothing that could be compared to Bible"s wisdom and knowledge.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 6:42:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 9:58:14 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:54:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There is no shortage of people claiming that their God is real. But they also have no problem talking about other Gods or other peoples Gods are mere fiction.

So what I would like to know is why anyone should accept your God as "real" as opposed to just another imagery God.

Can your God belief stand up to scrutiny It should be noted that any reason you give for justification for you God that can also be used to justify a God of fiction means you don't have a good justifications. I will give some examples..........

My God has claims made about what it done or has not done written down a long time ago.

Yeah so do many other Gods, not a good argument.

But were the authors equally credible? Are they equally trustworthy? Were the circumstances of the passing down of the book equally credible? Are the facts within the book dependable? Did the books all equally impress the world? See, if you dispense with the details, even a sea cow will look like a mermaid.

Prayer to my God worked, once I prayer to God for such and such

Yes, confirmation bias works on all Gods, count the hits and ignore the misses, not a good argument.

I agree.

I have a religious experience of my GOd

Yes, and so do other people of other Gods. I would note the high correlation of prior religious indoctrination and the God one finds/experiences.

Yet one can see a clear difference in the world between believers of the different religions. In Africa where I currently live, there are thousands of hospitals, schools, and missions for the poor and needy built and sustained by private people of one religion. Some dating back to more than 300 years.

The opposition to slavery in America was almost exclusively by one religion. The opposition to tyranny in South America has almost exclusively been by one religion.

I belong to a group where we claim we are Gods chosen and live in Gods truth of the one true God and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do is evil.

Justification by circle jerk ? not a good argument.............

See, if you dispense with the details, even a sea cow will look like a mermaid. Watch,
"I belong to a group where we claim we are democratic and live by the rule of law of true human rights and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do are despotic and totalitarian states."
Do you know any country which denies this of themselves? Yet there are good and bad countries.

See?

I hope it would go without saying that you not let your own pride get in the way of such objective analysis, no no no, my God is real, it has to be. I can't be wrong.

If you think your post was "objective" then you don't know what objective means. Your post was too general to draw any useful information from it. But that is the point isn't it? Without the details, girls look like boys. All color looks gray. All music sounds like noise. You don't want that color to stand out, so you dim the lights and then claim that everything is gray.

So what is your reason for thinking your God is real and not just another imaginary God ?

The details.

I accept that Ethan these are generalizations, BUt often you move from the general to the specific.

So maybe we can agree at least in GENERAL my points are applicable. And if we can agree to that I would agree that it MIGHT be the case that there is something specific to make the justifiable demarcation of a real God vs an imaginary God.

Now it's sounds like you are of the mind set that there are some things that if you go into more detail on there is such a significant difference to justify the God you believe in is not just another imagery God.

So I would ask you for what you consider to be such a specific difference to justify that your God is real........BUT before you answer, I would ask that you examine your justification as if you were a non believer in your God and think whether as a non believer it has merit to be considered.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 7:08:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 9:54:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There is no shortage of people claiming that their God is real. But they also have no problem talking about other Gods or other peoples Gods are mere fiction.

So what I would like to know is why anyone should accept your God as "real" as opposed to just another imagery God.

Can your God belief stand up to scrutiny It should be noted that any reason you give for justification for you God that can also be used to justify a God of fiction means you don't have a good justifications. I will give some examples..........

My God has claims made about what it done or has not done written down a long time ago.

Yeah so do many other Gods, not a good argument.

Prayer to my God worked, once I prayer to God for such and such

Yes, confirmation bias works on all Gods, count the hits and ignore the misses, not a good argument.

I have a religious experience of my GOd

Yes, and so do other people of other Gods. I would note the high correlation of prior religious indoctrination and the God one finds/experiences.

I belong to a group where we claim we are Gods chosen and live in Gods truth of the one true God and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do is evil.

Justification by circle jerk ? not a good argument.............

I hope it would go without saying that you not let your own pride get in the way of such objective analysis, no no no, my God is real, it has to be. I can't be wrong.

So what is your reason for thinking your God is real and not just another imaginary God ?

The God/gods of the bible are as real as Mother Nature and Father Time.
He/they are also just a personification of reality.
The characters are mythical but the concepts which they represents are very real to those who understand them.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 2:16:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 7:08:36 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:54:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There is no shortage of people claiming that their God is real. But they also have no problem talking about other Gods or other peoples Gods are mere fiction.

So what I would like to know is why anyone should accept your God as "real" as opposed to just another imagery God.

Can your God belief stand up to scrutiny It should be noted that any reason you give for justification for you God that can also be used to justify a God of fiction means you don't have a good justifications. I will give some examples..........

My God has claims made about what it done or has not done written down a long time ago.

Yeah so do many other Gods, not a good argument.

Prayer to my God worked, once I prayer to God for such and such

Yes, confirmation bias works on all Gods, count the hits and ignore the misses, not a good argument.

I have a religious experience of my GOd

Yes, and so do other people of other Gods. I would note the high correlation of prior religious indoctrination and the God one finds/experiences.

I belong to a group where we claim we are Gods chosen and live in Gods truth of the one true God and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do is evil.

Justification by circle jerk ? not a good argument.............

I hope it would go without saying that you not let your own pride get in the way of such objective analysis, no no no, my God is real, it has to be. I can't be wrong.

So what is your reason for thinking your God is real and not just another imaginary God ?

The God/gods of the bible are as real as Mother Nature and Father Time.
He/they are also just a personification of reality.
The characters are mythical but the concepts which they represents are very real to those who understand them.

Since you don't understand any of the prophecies, it's impossible that you know the Truth. Your truth is visible and will be destroyed soon.
ethang5
Posts: 4,117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 2:27:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 6:42:44 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 3/16/2015 9:58:14 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:54:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There is no shortage of people claiming that their God is real. But they also have no problem talking about other Gods or other peoples Gods are mere fiction.

So what I would like to know is why anyone should accept your God as "real" as opposed to just another imagery God.

Can your God belief stand up to scrutiny It should be noted that any reason you give for justification for you God that can also be used to justify a God of fiction means you don't have a good justifications. I will give some examples..........

My God has claims made about what it done or has not done written down a long time ago.

Yeah so do many other Gods, not a good argument.

But were the authors equally credible? Are they equally trustworthy? Were the circumstances of the passing down of the book equally credible? Are the facts within the book dependable? Did the books all equally impress the world? See, if you dispense with the details, even a sea cow will look like a mermaid.

Prayer to my God worked, once I prayer to God for such and such

Yes, confirmation bias works on all Gods, count the hits and ignore the misses, not a good argument.

I agree.

I have a religious experience of my GOd

Yes, and so do other people of other Gods. I would note the high correlation of prior religious indoctrination and the God one finds/experiences.

Yet one can see a clear difference in the world between believers of the different religions. In Africa where I currently live, there are thousands of hospitals, schools, and missions for the poor and needy built and sustained by private people of one religion. Some dating back to more than 300 years.

The opposition to slavery in America was almost exclusively by one religion. The opposition to tyranny in South America has almost exclusively been by one religion.

I belong to a group where we claim we are Gods chosen and live in Gods truth of the one true God and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do is evil.

Justification by circle jerk ? not a good argument.............

See, if you dispense with the details, even a sea cow will look like a mermaid. Watch,
"I belong to a group where we claim we are democratic and live by the rule of law of true human rights and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do are despotic and totalitarian states."
Do you know any country which denies this of themselves? Yet there are good and bad countries.

See?

I hope it would go without saying that you not let your own pride get in the way of such objective analysis, no no no, my God is real, it has to be. I can't be wrong.

If you think your post was "objective" then you don't know what objective means. Your post was too general to draw any useful information from it. But that is the point isn't it? Without the details, girls look like boys. All color looks gray. All music sounds like noise. You don't want that color to stand out, so you dim the lights and then claim that everything is gray.

So what is your reason for thinking your God is real and not just another imaginary God ?

The details.

I accept that Ethan these are generalizations, BUt often you move from the general to the specific.

So maybe we can agree at least in GENERAL my points are applicable.

General points are applicable to everything. But you have come to quite specific conclusions from your general points.

And if we can agree to that I would agree that it MIGHT be the case that there is something specific to make the justifiable demarcation of a real God vs an imaginary God.

Your generalizations are applicable to your points, but not applicable to your conclusions.

Now it's sounds like you are of the mind set that there are some things that if you go into more detail on there is such a significant difference to justify the God you believe in is not just another imagery God.

Even if there wasn't, it is still not reasonable to pretend as if all religions say the same thing and are all equally logical (or illogical as your bias goes)

So I would ask you for what you consider to be such a specific difference to justify that your God is real........BUT before you answer, I would ask that you examine your justification as if you were a non believer in your God and think whether as a non believer it has merit to be considered.

No need to. I was once an atheist. In fact, we are all born atheists. And I can still remember how I felt and how I thought when I was dead in sin.

What I want is to get the principle straight first.

I have met and talked with members of the group Boko-haram in Nigeria. According to them, "books were evil". They made no distinction between books. They showed me a video (1978) where Americans were burning books. To them, that proved that even American citizens knew books were evil. They asked me if I looked at kiddie porn books. I said no. They asked me if books like that should be burned. I said they shouldn't be made in the first place. They took that as proof that I agreed books were all evil.

Without making a distinction between the contents of books, it was easy to make any silly claim about books seem reasonable. So They challenged me to produce a "good" book. I had no interest in proving that one book was "good". I wanted them to see that taking a few books and using those few to condemn all books was illogical. I wanted them to see that the content of a book mattered to its 'goodness" or "badness".

And that if they did judge a book as evil, that judgement should be based on a logical evaluation of the book's contents, and not on some illogical idea that all books are evil. But I knew they weren't prepared to see this, so I declined to show them one "good" book and excused myself.

In Boko-haram's case, they shun the details because they are ignorant. They believe all books are evil because they distrust education and to them, books represent education. So their bias against western education makes them overlook, or not care about, the details.

What is it that makes you not care about the details? What bias makes you willing to condemn all religious doctrines? Even the ones you don't know? (Haven't read)

As long as that thing is operating inside of you unhindered, nothing I can say to you will reach you. So perhaps we can never see eye to eye as long as we each hold the positions we hold.

A pity.
debate_power
Posts: 726
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 2:48:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 9:54:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There is no shortage of people claiming that their God is real. But they also have no problem talking about other Gods or other peoples Gods are mere fiction.

So what I would like to know is why anyone should accept your God as "real" as opposed to just another imagery God.

Can your God belief stand up to scrutiny It should be noted that any reason you give for justification for you God that can also be used to justify a God of fiction means you don't have a good justifications. I will give some examples..........

My God has claims made about what it done or has not done written down a long time ago.

Yeah so do many other Gods, not a good argument.

Prayer to my God worked, once I prayer to God for such and such

Yes, confirmation bias works on all Gods, count the hits and ignore the misses, not a good argument.

I have a religious experience of my GOd

Yes, and so do other people of other Gods. I would note the high correlation of prior religious indoctrination and the God one finds/experiences.

I belong to a group where we claim we are Gods chosen and live in Gods truth of the one true God and everyone else who doesn't believe as we do is evil.

Justification by circle jerk ? not a good argument.............

I hope it would go without saying that you not let your own pride get in the way of such objective analysis, no no no, my God is real, it has to be. I can't be wrong.

So what is your reason for thinking your God is real and not just another imaginary God ?

Look, I'm debate_power (a god) and I'm saying debate_power-ism is legit. Peace.
You can call me Mark if you like.
celestialtorahteacher
Posts: 1,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 4:50:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Oh good grief, now we have two false prophets wasting Debate space in order to get attention. There's a simple test for true prophesy bearing. Your prophesies come true. Other people are affected by what you say. If they aren't, if what you predict doesn't happen, you're a phony. BOG prophesied that he would be killed last year or was it the year before and has now back-peddled on that prophesy to say he doesn't know but we know what he's doing. He predicted our world would be covered with lava and all of us burnt up. Isn't that precious! This new bozo thinks debate talk is the same as spiritual consciousness and so he doesn't even register on the spiritual awareness meter. Give these guys their fish and move on to real religious prophesy, coming from the authorized prophesy bearers, us Jews and not Gentiles trying to exploit Jewish religion.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:38:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
All deities worshipped by humans are created to suit people's views of the world, no doubt they seem very real to them, even though they don't exist outside the human mind.