Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Am I a Christian when I don't believe in God?

TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 10:37:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Before you bash me for my apparent imbecility, I am attempting to explain that while I do not believe that God actually ever existed, nor do I believe Jesus was literally the son of God, I still idolize Jesus.

I don't listen to anything else in the Bible or Christianity unless if they are paraphrasing what Jesus had said.

I'm like Holden Caulfield. I, like him, believe he truly was an all-loving man that he was supposed to be, and that countless deranged Christians have twisted his words to mean the exact opposite of what he meant.

So if you believe Christnanity is evil, don't blame Jesus. Blame all of the lunatic Christians who are nothing like the person they claim to follow.

But should I still be considered a Christian?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 11:02:04 PM
At 3/16/2015 10:37:01 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
Before you bash me for my apparent imbecility, I am attempting to explain that while I do not believe that God actually ever existed, nor do I believe Jesus was literally the son of God, I still idolize Jesus.

I don't listen to anything else in the Bible or Christianity unless if they are paraphrasing what Jesus had said.

I'm like Holden Caulfield. I, like him, believe he truly was an all-loving man that he was supposed to be, and that countless deranged Christians have twisted his words to mean the exact opposite of what he meant.

So if you believe Christnanity is evil, don't blame Jesus. Blame all of the lunatic Christians who are nothing like the person they claim to follow.

Call yourself a human being who likes the words that Jesus supposedly said. You don't have to say you're a believer or a Christian.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 5:53:07 AM

If you accepted Jesus you are a Christian. If you reject Jesus like Brad aka BoG you are antichrist.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 6:09:11 AM

This is the best thing I've heard all year! I love it but why can't you believe in God!? If you naturally are drawn to Jesus then you MUST listen to what Jesus is drawing you to, that's God my friend. Jesus was bad-a$$.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 9:23:28 AM

I think you are being far more sensible than you may realize.

Firstly, no one can know for certain that their conception of God is accurate because God is by definition beyond our human comprehension. We can conceive of such an infinite being/condition/etc., but we cannot actually comprehend it, because we are not infinite, ourselves. So that in that sense, if we are being honest and logical about it, we are all agnostics.

So by that reasoning we can say that your doubts do not exclude you from being 'a Christian'. They merely reflect your honesty and intelligence.

As to Jesus and his teachings, specifically, it is a matter of how we interpret the story of him that we've left to us, whether or not we believe he is a deity of some sort or not. But I personally don't see how that really matters. Because even if Jesus performed miracles and rose from the dead and ascended into heaven, I still cannot. And neither can you. So the "fact" of these events, if that they be, don't have much relevance to me and you, except as metaphors, or symbolic acts, intended to teach us something. And we can take them that way WITHOUT believing them to be factual. So in either case, the factuality of these bits of the story are irrelevant.

In the end I believe what Jesus was telling us: that "God's" love and forgiveness acting in us and through us; to each other, can heal us and save us from ourselves. And I don't have to know what "God" is, or that "God" exists, to believe this message because I have experienced it for myself. And I can continue to experience it by simply living, accordingly. God or no God.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 10:55:21 AM

That sounds like the view of Christian atheism.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:37:32 AM

To tackle your question, I personally don't think you should consider yourself a Christian. I also don't think other Christians would consider you a Christian. I think it is fine to say "Jesus had some good teaching and I admire his perspective." There is nothing wrong with holding that position, while saying I'm not technically a Christian. I find some of Buddha's teachings very good. But, I feel no obligation to call myself a Buddhist. I think it is fine to find value in the message, yet still reject the supernatural claims that are part of the larger narrative.
madera
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:46:51 AM
Sound like one to me. Intellectually you don't believe in God,, but, the mind can deceive.
Seeing through the false Christians I say you are a Christian. You have insight.

I don't believe the so called Christian blowhards either.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:05:14 PM

Because most Christians are deranged lunatics. Absolutely.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:46:09 PM

Christian meant originally disciple of Jesus. And Jesus defined them by this:

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

If you do so, you are disciple of Jesus ("Christian").