Jump to topic:

Ask About Christianity

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:06:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I want to answer questions about Christianity. This is directed mostly at nonbelievers, skeptics or people who feel something but aren't sure about religion in general. I don't really want to debate the finer points of theology at this moment (as I know there are lots and lots of really theological minded folks on here) but I will field questions in that department if I am able.

I just want to have some casual conversations, answer some questions that people have about Christianity.

This could be a train wreck but... all aboard.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:13:24 PM
What do you believe to be the ultimate fate of those who fail to accept Christ?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:17:59 PM
At 3/17/2015 11:06:01 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I want to answer questions about Christianity. This is directed mostly at nonbelievers, skeptics or people who feel something but aren't sure about religion in general. I don't really want to debate the finer points of theology at this moment (as I know there are lots and lots of really theological minded folks on here) but I will field questions in that department if I am able.

I just want to have some casual conversations, answer some questions that people have about Christianity.

Why don't Christians listen to the Voice of the Lord and obey His commandments like our Creator has been telling His people from the very beginning of this first age?

What's the difference between the symbolic names such as Christ, Son of God, Word of God, Voice of the Lord, Word of the Lord, Kingdom of God, Kingdom of Heaven, Kingdom of the Spirit, Messiah, Holy Spirit, Breath of Life, Tree of Life, Book of Life, Zion, Jacob, Light of men, and Eternal Life?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:20:04 PM
At 3/17/2015 11:13:24 PM, thett3 wrote:

I believe that the notion of hell as it is most widely taught is incorrect. The traditional view of hell, which is what most people believe is the ultimate fate of those who fail to accept Christ, is that God maliciously sends people to hell as punishment for not accepting Christ and that people burn in hell for an eternity.

This turns a lot of people off and I think is incorrect.

Hell is a complete separation from God. Jesus illustrates this in Matthew 22 with the Parable of the Wedding Feast. People are invited to commune with God in eternal life but many "pay no attention" and go their own way. Therefore, you are not invited to the feast. You are left out in the dark alone.

That is hell. Eternal separation from God. But you are not sent there. You choose to be there. God does not send you because you are sought, invited, you have to accept something being offered to you. This is also shown in the Parable of the Lost Sheep. Those who are not with God are lost in the wilderness. But when you accept Jesus Christ you are found.

So the ultimate fate of those who do not accept Christ is being lost in the dark. Separate from the source of life and goodness in the universe.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:37:30 PM

Which form of christianity are you referring to? The Great prostitute who sits on the seven hills who believes that she has a kingship over the temporal kings of the earth, that mother of her denominational harlot daughters, who were spawned from her false teachings before breaking away from their mother body to established families of their own.

Or those who still hold true to the teachings of the apostolic church that was founded in Jerusalem some three hundred years before Emperor Constantine established the Roman universal church in 325 AD?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:40:33 PM
At 3/17/2015 11:37:30 PM, Gentorev wrote:

Which form of christianity are you referring to? The Great prostitute who sits on the seven hills who believes that she has a kingship over the temporal kings of the earth, that mother of her denominational harlot daughters, who were spawned from her false teachings before breaking away from their mother body to established families of their own.

Or those who still hold true to the teachings of the apostolic church that was founded in Jerusalem some three hundred years before Emperor Constantine established the Roman universal church in 325 AD?

I'm slightly confused as to what you're asking.

I am referring merely to the teachings of Jesus Christ as denoted in the New Testament of the Bible. Christianity is simply a movement of those who follow the teachings of Jesus and accept him as Lord and Savior.

If you're referring to the Church established by Christ and continued in Acts then yes I believe that church is the Body of Christ.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:49:59 PM

What are your thoughts on orthodoxy and heterodoxy? Is one to be preferred over the other? Do you support, for example, the historical suppression of teachings like Arianism, Adoptionism, Catharism, and Gnosticism? Do you think that a cohesive form of Christianity would have been able to survive without these suppressions and the requisite politicization of Christianity?

What are your views on the monastic traditions?

What are your views on those strains of Christian philosophy which are heavily influenced by Averroism and Aristotelianism?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:52:58 PM
At 3/17/2015 11:20:04 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I believe that the notion of hell as it is most widely taught is incorrect. The traditional view of hell, which is what most people believe is the ultimate fate of those who fail to accept Christ, is that God maliciously sends people to hell as punishment for not accepting Christ and that people burn in hell for an eternity.

Hell is a complete separation from God. Jesus illustrates this in Matthew 22 with the Parable of the Wedding Feast. People are invited to commune with God in eternal life but many "pay no attention" and go their own way. Therefore, you are not invited to the feast. You are left out in the dark alone.

That is hell. Eternal separation from God. But you are not sent there. You choose to be there. God does not send you because you are sought, invited, you have to accept something being offered to you. This is also shown in the Parable of the Lost Sheep. Those who are not with God are lost in the wilderness. But when you accept Jesus Christ you are found.

So the ultimate fate of those who do not accept Christ is being lost in the dark. Separate from the source of life and goodness in the universe.

What about those who accept God but not Christ?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:57:44 PM
At 3/17/2015 11:49:59 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

What are your thoughts on orthodoxy and heterodoxy? Is one to be preferred over the other? Do you support, for example, the historical suppression of teachings like Arianism, Adoptionism, Catharism, and Gnosticism? Do you think that a cohesive form of Christianity would have been able to survive without these suppressions and the requisite politicization of Christianity?

What are your views on those strains of Christian philosophy which are heavily influenced by Averroism and Aristotelianism?

To answer the first part. I think orthodoxy is good for an organized religion as a whole. Though I don't believe that Christianity should be such a highly institutionalized religion. Many Christians reside in their faith within the constructs of these organized religious institutions when it is not necessary to do so. The very basics of Christianity call for only three things: admit you are a sinner and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior & follow the teachings of Christ & engage in fellowship with others. That's it.

So on the one hand, if you want to build a strong religious institution Orthodoxy is good. Though I do not think such things are necessary. Therefore, heterodoxy is not inherently dangerous to Christianity unless it expressly contradicts those vital tenants and I think that Christianity could have survived with those other schools of thought. Though, I admit I am not familiar with many of them.

As for the other two parts I am less clear.
What monastic traditions? In general? The idea of those types of lives in general?

The last part I am not familiar on in the slightest. If you would like to lay out the basics and point me in a direction to inform myself I can get back to you on that.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:59:01 PM

Why can't you just follow the Rule of Chalcedon instead of making a bunch of Bibles?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:59:15 PM
At 3/17/2015 11:52:58 PM, WillYouMarryMe wrote:

What do you mean by "accept"? You believe in God? What God? Any God?

And it is very clear that accepting God, while an important first step, cannot win you salvation. We are all inherently flawed, we mess up on a daily basis and cannot by our own power overcome our shortfalls. We need Jesus and His sacrifice for that.

So while it is a good thing to accept a higher power as a stepping stone to Christianity is cannot be the end all be all.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:00:14 AM
At 3/17/2015 11:59:01 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Why can't you just follow the Rule of Chalcedon instead of making a bunch of Bibles?

I am not familiar with this Rule. And what bunch of Bibles? Are you referring to different translations?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:02:58 AM
At 3/17/2015 11:57:44 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

To answer the first part. I think orthodoxy is good for an organized religion as a whole. Though I don't believe that Christianity should be such a highly institutionalized religion. Many Christians reside in their faith within the constructs of these organized religious institutions when it is not necessary to do so. The very basics of Christianity call for only three things: admit you are a sinner and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior & follow the teachings of Christ & engage in fellowship with others. That's it.

So on the one hand, if you want to build a strong religious institution Orthodoxy is good. Though I do not think such things are necessary. Therefore, heterodoxy is not inherently dangerous to Christianity unless it expressly contradicts those vital tenants and I think that Christianity could have survived with those other schools of thought. Though, I admit I am not familiar with many of them.

What monastic traditions? In general? The idea of those types of lives in general?

Just the idea in general.

The last part I am not familiar on in the slightest. If you would like to lay out the basics and point me in a direction to inform myself I can get back to you on that.

Probably the most famous would be Thomas Aquinas, who reconciled Averroism with Christianity, forming the bedrock of Catholic Scholasticism. Averroes (Or Ibn Rushd) was an immensely influential Cordoban Muslim philosopher and polymath, largely credited, along with the Jewish Cordoban Maimonaides, with reintroducing a lot of classical works to the West.

Another question: which horn of the Euthyphro Dilemma do you support?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:03:10 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:00:14 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I am not familiar with this Rule. And what bunch of Bibles? Are you referring to different translations?

Chalcedonianism (if I spelt that correctly) is possibly the first branch of Christianity.Yes, and scriptures in general. It's a wonder why you can't find common ground.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:09:18 AM
At 3/17/2015 11:59:15 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Yeah, I believe in a single, tri-omni God-- the same one described in the NT.

And it is very clear that accepting God, while an important first step, cannot win you salvation. We are all inherently flawed, we mess up on a daily basis and cannot by our own power overcome our shortfalls. We need Jesus and His sacrifice for that.

I agree that we're all inherently flawed, but what about the pathways all those other religions offer to overcoming our shortcomings?
How is it fair for devout followers of the same God to be separated from him simply for not accepting Jesus? Especially when they had no say in which religion they were born into?

So while it is a good thing to accept a higher power as a stepping stone to Christianity is cannot be the end all be all.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:10:19 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:03:10 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Chalcedonianism (if I spelt that correctly) is possibly the first branch of Christianity.Yes, and scriptures in general. It's a wonder why you can't find common ground.

Common ground in what sense? All of Cristendom believes that Jesus Christ was the Son of God and the Savior of Mankind. That is pretty universally common.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:12:16 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:10:19 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Common ground in what sense? All of Cristendom believes that Jesus Christ was the Son of God and the Savior of Mankind. That is pretty universally common.

Umm, there's like hundreds of different branches and a 30-year war emerged because of it.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:14:24 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:02:58 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/17/2015 11:57:44 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Just the idea in general.

Probably the most famous would be Thomas Aquinas, who reconciled Averroism with Christianity, forming the bedrock of Catholic Scholasticism. Averroes (Or Ibn Rushd) was an immensely influential Cordoban Muslim philosopher and polymath, largely credited, along with the Jewish Cordoban Maimonaides, with reintroducing a lot of classical works to the West.

Another question: which horn of the Euthyphro Dilemma do you support?

I will definitely look into that area of study. Sounds interesting to say the least.

I think a monastic life in its more extreme forms are not necessary but I do not find them detrimental. I think that many Christians (including myself) should live closer to an impoverished life than we do so I think that they were hitting on something with their teachings.

Ahh Euthyphro. I had an Ancient Philosophy class last semester in which we discussed this in great detail.

Honestly, I find myself torn on the issue. On the one hand if God is truly omnipotent and omniscient than I would say that Divine Command Theory is the one we must abide by (the Second Horn). On the other hand that has a whole host of issues that make me think that things are good because God finds them good as well but that raises questions about goodness being separate from God and if that's the case, where do morals reside and how can they be separate from God. Are they ultimate? Can God be bad then? Things like that. It's an interesting debate but I lean towards DCT usually.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:17:49 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:09:18 AM, WillYouMarryMe wrote:

I agree that we're all inherently flawed, but what about the pathways all those other religions offer to overcoming our shortcomings?
How is it fair for devout followers of the same God to be separated from him simply for not accepting Jesus? Especially when they had no say in which religion they were born into?

Other religions give you pathways to overcome our shortcomings yes, but none of them are viable because we can never achieve perfection or enlightenment or 100% adherence to religious laws. Those religions set you up for failure. Christianity admits that we can never be that good. All fall short of the Glory of God. God knows that which is why he gave us a gift.

It's not about fairness, its about reality. The reality is we can never be perfect but to be in communion with a perfect God and to pay the debts of our wrongdoings we must pay a price. Without Jesus we have to pay that price on our own.

I can't say what, if any, special consideration those without knowledge of Jesus get but I would think they'd be judged on their actions without the Grace of Christ.

As for the "you can't pick the religion you're born into" comment, I think that's a cop out. People can explore ideas for themselves. Search for truths on their own. People leave religions and differ from their upbringing all the time. It's not an excuse to not explore Christianity.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:24:41 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:12:16 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Umm, there's like hundreds of different branches and a 30-year war emerged because of it.

I know but does that damage the historical accuracy of the earliest church or the teachings of Christ and the doctrines that establish the basis of Christianity as a whole?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:26:28 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:24:41 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I know but does that damage the historical accuracy of the earliest church or the teachings of Christ and the doctrines that establish the basis of Christianity as a whole?

Maybe? I mean, history is decided by the winners.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:28:08 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:26:28 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean.

The central tenants of Christianity are to simply accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, follow His teachings and commune with one another in a loving way. Those are universally agreed upon across all sects of Christianity.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:31:02 AM

2 questions:

1) Was Jesus the final messenger from God?

2) Why don't Christians understand that it's unconstitutional to use the government to impose their religious values?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:32:00 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:28:08 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

The central tenants of Christianity are to simply accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, follow His teachings and commune with one another in a loving way. Those are universally agreed upon across all sects of Christianity.

What makes you think your interpretation is correct? You talk about the basis of Christianity and I'm fairly certain Martin Luther came around hundreds of years after Christ. The Mormons think they're right too, and Smith came around even later.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:36:51 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:32:00 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

What makes you think your interpretation is correct? You talk about the basis of Christianity and I'm fairly certain Martin Luther came around hundreds of years after Christ. The Mormons think they're right too, and Smith came around even later.

I know... they all believe those three basic things.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:37:23 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:31:02 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

2 questions:

1) Was Jesus the final messenger from God?

2) Why don't Christians understand that it's unconstitutional to use the government to impose their religious values?

Messenger in what sense?

And I can't speak for all Christians.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:38:32 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:36:51 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Mormonism is non-trinitarian. Arianism embellished the Father more than the Son.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:39:40 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:17:49 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/18/2015 12:09:18 AM, WillYouMarryMe wrote:

Other religions give you pathways to overcome our shortcomings yes, but none of them are viable because we can never achieve perfection or enlightenment or 100% adherence to religious laws. Those religions set you up for failure. Christianity admits that we can never be that good. All fall short of the Glory of God. God knows that which is why he gave us a gift.

It's not about fairness, its about reality. The reality is we can never be perfect but to be in communion with a perfect God and to pay the debts of our wrongdoings we must pay a price. Without Jesus we have to pay that price on our own.

I can't say what, if any, special consideration those without knowledge of Jesus get but I would think they'd be judged on their actions without the Grace of Christ.

As for the "you can't pick the religion you're born into" comment, I think that's a cop out. People can explore ideas for themselves. Search for truths on their own. People leave religions and differ from their upbringing all the time. It's not an excuse to not explore Christianity.

I guess the problem I have with that is that if all of what you said were true (i.e. Jesus being the only way and all other religions leading to failure), then we would expect to see some sort of clear and easily-discernible advantage that Christianity has over other religions. If that were the case, then I can assure you there would be many more people converting than there are now. I *have* explored Christianity, and I just don't see any obviously superior quality in it which would prompt me to adopt it and leave the religion I was raised to believe.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:42:13 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:38:32 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Mormonism is non-trinitarian. Arianism embellished the Father more than the Son.

While most don't feel this way, I believe these things to be trivial to the purpose and goals of Christianity as a whole. It's a relationship first, not a religion in the traditional sense.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:44:33 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:42:13 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/18/2015 12:38:32 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

While most don't feel this way, I believe these things to be trivial to the purpose and goals of Christianity as a whole. It's a relationship first, not a religion in the traditional sense.

And why are you right? Some prefer orthodoxy compared to orthopraxy.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln