Jump to topic:

Religion And Slavery

POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:11:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
There is another religion than Islam that encourages its followers to free slaves? i know the bible is for establishment of slavery... funny enough people condemn ISIS for its brutality and treatment of its slaves... the Quran the only one i know who instruct to free slaves... so what Vedas say about it? or Mormon guys?
Never fart near dog
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:15:14 AM
At 3/18/2015 6:11:10 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
There is another religion than Islam that encourages its followers to free slaves? i know the bible is for establishment of slavery... funny enough people condemn ISIS for its brutality and treatment of its slaves... the Quran the only one i know who instruct to free slaves... so what Vedas say about it? or Mormon guys?

That guy Paul in the Bible, who had literary diarrhoea, urged slaves to honour their masters.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:29:50 AM
At 3/18/2015 6:15:14 AM, JJ50 wrote:

That guy Paul in the Bible, who had literary diarrhoea, urged slaves to honour their masters.

lolllll now christains will be mad at you :P
Never fart near dog
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:35:11 AM
At 3/18/2015 6:29:50 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

lolllll now christains will be mad at you :P

I am so scared, NOT, lol!
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:44:28 PM

Jainism? Buddhism? Etc?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:46:51 PM

Also Baha'a comes to mind, their holy text is explicitly against slavery.

Also if islam is against slavery, then why is there such a thing as Islamic Slavery in Islamic Law lol.....
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 1:27:44 PM
At 3/18/2015 12:44:28 PM, Envisage wrote:

Jainism? Buddhism? Etc?

yeah their point of view.... do you know any religion beside Islam that encourges its worshpers to free slaves?
Never fart near dog
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 1:34:33 PM
At 3/18/2015 12:46:51 PM, Envisage wrote:

Baha'a is recently a new religion to our modern life compare to other religions more anceint that this one... so its not so surprising that it against slavery becasue it came out of that environment...

Also if islam is against slavery, then why is there such a thing as Islamic Slavery in Islamic Law lol.....

im not saying there is no Islamic Slavery..good muslims following the Quran they should also obey the Quran yep? the Quran encourages to eradicate slavery...
Never fart near dog
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 1:51:37 PM
At 3/18/2015 1:34:33 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

Baha'a is recently a new religion to our modern life compare to other religions more anceint that this one... so its not so surprising that it against slavery becasue it came out of that environment..

Moving the goalposts?? I just listed 3 religions which do not tolerate slavery. Why release slaves when you don't have them in the first place? I could list hundreds more.

im not saying there is no Islamic Slavery..good muslims following the Quran they should also obey the Quran yep? the Quran encourages to eradicate slavery...
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 2:00:27 PM

- The Baha'i Faith was founded practically 'yesterday', & its almost entirely inspired by Islam, like the other 200 religions that came before it, of which most have gone extinct.

- It's just called -technically- Slavery, it's nothing like common Slavery, the content is entirely opposed to the notion of Slavery. In Shari'a, slaves have, for the most part, equal rights as non-slaves, sometimes even better rights. I mean, a slave has the right to even become the Head of State!

- Slavery in Shari'a is a Sponsorial Relationship (Ri'ayah), & it has a Contractual form & a Non-Contractual form, like many other Sponsorial Relationships ( Guardian/Orphan , Husband/Wife . . .).

- & yes, Islam is explicitly against Slavery as the cruel practice it is.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:48:42 PM
At 3/18/2015 2:00:27 PM, YassineB wrote:

- The Baha'i Faith was founded practically 'yesterday', & its almost entirely inspired by Islam, like the other 200 religions that came before it, of which most have gone extinct.

- It's just called -technically- Slavery, it's nothing like common Slavery, the content is entirely opposed to the notion of Slavery. In Shari'a, slaves have, for the most part, equal rights as non-slaves, sometimes even better rights. I mean, a slave has the right to even become the Head of State!

- Slavery in Shari'a is a Sponsorial Relationship (Ri'ayah), & it has a Contractual form & a Non-Contractual form, like many other Sponsorial Relationships ( Guardian/Orphan , Husband/Wife . . .).

no body debated you about Slavery in Islam? i cant find it in your account anymore....
Never fart near dog
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:49:57 PM
At 3/18/2015 4:48:42 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 3/18/2015 2:00:27 PM, YassineB wrote:

no body debated you about Slavery in Islam? i cant find it in your account anymore....

- Yeah, & other debates too. I'll probably be reinstigating the debate soon.

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:58:57 PM

The Bible is not for the "establishment" of slavery, it just didn't contradict the establishment at the time. Plus Roman slavery is nothing even remotely similar to chattel slavery of the 17-19th centuries. Furthermore, the abolitionist movement in the US was almost entirely driven by Christians.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 11:31:26 PM

Only our Creator can free His people when He kills their flesh. In the next age, we'll all be slaves to our true Master.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 9:25:39 AM
At 3/18/2015 1:27:44 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

Jainism? Buddhism? Etc?

yeah their point of view.... do you know any religion beside Islam that encourges its worshpers to free slaves?

Sikhism.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 9:38:09 AM
At 3/19/2015 9:25:39 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Jainism? Buddhism? Etc?

Sikhism.

you have verses from their scriptures saying that or there is no such thing slavery at all mentioning in what they reading?
Never fart near dog
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 10:16:29 AM
At 3/19/2015 9:38:09 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

Jainism? Buddhism? Etc?

Sikhism.

you have verses from their scriptures saying that or there is no such thing slavery at all mentioning in what they reading?

I don't know of english translations and I don't know if slavery is explicitly mentioned in their holy text. It more just says things like all humans should be seen as equals and that Sikhs are not special and not the chosen people of god, so should never put themselves above others. My understanding is that in Sikhism, it is the responsibility of Sikhs to fight for oppressed people, which would include freeing slaves. That is also corroborated by their history with Sikhs being known for freeing slaves. This is part of how and why Sikhism was founded in the first place.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 10:19:19 AM

Depends what you class as slavery.

What scripture describes as slavery amongst the Israelites is something which is practised legally in many countries today, including the USA and UK.

The most common examples of such slavery today are in the household servant types of role.

I can use my Imelda as a perfect example of such "slavery".

She worked as a maid for a General in the Lebanon for 5 years. As part of this role she was treated as part of the household, was on call 24/7/365.

Her only holidays were with the family, though she was able to have days off to visit friends etc..

I have no idea how well paid it was, and I have never asked, nor will I.

The worst result of that employment for her was not seeing her young daughter for 5 years between the ages of 5 and 10.

In fact that is the main reason I got her to leave her job, and am now supporting her, her daughter, and her 15 year old Sister back home in the Philippines, even though I am in the UK, haven't seen her for over a year, and look like not seeing her for another years.

However, I digress.

That was very much the equivalent of slavery under the Mosaic law, the main difference being the length of contract.

Modern day "slaves" are under an annual contract, whereas in Israel the legal contract length was 7 years, and Israelites sold themselves into slavery for precisely the same reason my Imelda did, to support their families during hard times.

That is the only form of slavery that the bible endorses, and today we would simply call it "employment".

It has been misused to support slavery in the form I suspect that you mean by people who wanted to see the word "slavery" but didn't care what it actually represented.

It is also abused by people who insist that this is the sort of slavery it endorses purely as a "stick to beat it with".
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 10:38:05 AM
At 3/19/2015 10:16:29 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Jainism? Buddhism? Etc?

Sikhism.

I don't know of english translations and I don't know if slavery is explicitly mentioned in their holy text. It more just says things like all humans should be seen as equals and that Sikhs are not special and not the chosen people of god, so should never put themselves above others. My understanding is that in Sikhism, it is the responsibility of Sikhs to fight for oppressed people, which would include freeing slaves. That is also corroborated by their history with Sikhs being known for freeing slaves. This is part of how and why Sikhism was founded in the first place.

but the problem with that is fighting for the oppressed people is general thing, maybe slavery is allowed and specifically mentioned..i dont know almost anything about Sikhism and its history... quite often you would hear from poeple the sentence "all humans should be seen as equals" also from muslims jews chrisitans....
Never fart near dog
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 10:41:55 AM
At 3/19/2015 10:19:19 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

What scripture describes as slavery amongst the Israelites is something which is practised legally in many countries today, including the USA and UK.

The most common examples of such slavery today are in the household servant types of role.

She worked as a maid for a General in the Lebanon for 5 years. As part of this role she was treated as part of the household, was on call 24/7/365.

Her only holidays were with the family, though she was able to have days off to visit friends etc..

The worst result of that employment for her was not seeing her young daughter for 5 years between the ages of 5 and 10.

In fact that is the main reason I got her to leave her job, and am now supporting her, her daughter, and her 15 year old Sister back home in the Philippines, even though I am in the UK, haven't seen her for over a year, and look like not seeing her for another years.

However, I digress.

That was very much the equivalent of slavery under the Mosaic law, the main difference being the length of contract.

Modern day "slaves" are under an annual contract, whereas in Israel the legal contract length was 7 years, and Israelites sold themselves into slavery for precisely the same reason my Imelda did, to support their families during hard times.

That is the only form of slavery that the bible endorses, and today we would simply call it "employment".

It has been misused to support slavery in the form I suspect that you mean by people who wanted to see the word "slavery" but didn't care what it actually represented.

It is also abused by people who insist that this is the sort of slavery it endorses purely as a "stick to beat it with".

i absolutely love your responses everytime.... you trying to interpret the Bible to fit what suits you. the Bible is specifically talks about slavery and there is no 1 word about freeing them. thats the reality buddy.
Never fart near dog
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 10:43:55 AM
At 3/19/2015 10:38:05 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

Jainism? Buddhism? Etc?

Sikhism.

but the problem with that is fighting for the oppressed people is general thing, maybe slavery is allowed and specifically mentioned..i dont know almost anything about Sikhism and its history... quite often you would hear from poeple the sentence "all humans should be seen as equals" also from muslims jews chrisitans....

Except then their books have instructions for keeping slaves. I haven't been able to find anything like that in the Sikh text. I'm not sure if it mentions slavery explicitly at all. The issue with some of the other texts is that even if they have statements which suggest treating others as equals, they are contradicted by instructions to kill and enslave, and they are contradicted by verses describing women and people of other faiths as inferior. As far as I know, the Sikh text doesn't have these extreme contradictions in their basic principles. How Sikhs behave in the real world is a different story, as is the case with any group.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 11:22:13 AM
At 3/19/2015 10:41:55 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

However, I digress.

i absolutely love your responses everytime.... you trying to interpret the Bible to fit what suits you. the Bible is specifically talks about slavery and there is no 1 word about freeing them. thats the reality buddy.

Completely wrong.

I am given my understanding of scripture through holy spirit, so I can be 100% sure that it is god's understanding not that of any man.

Sorry but that is how it is.

Any who want the same assistance can have it. All they have to do is ask God for it, in the right frame of mind and with the right motivation.

I long ago realise that the only opinion that has any value is that of God himself.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 11:34:05 AM
At 3/19/2015 10:41:55 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 3/18/2015 6:11:10 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:. the Bible is specifically talks about slavery and there is no 1 word about freeing them. thats the reality buddy.

Sorry missed a bit.

It is far from the reality.

In fact, according to the bible I am a slave of God, but I can get out any time I wish. If I wish, which I never will. He treats his slaves well.

Slavery was introduced into the Mosaic law as a sort of welfare state, giving hard up Israelites a way of getting help without the helper losing out either. The 7 year contract simply meant that his employer knew he had a stable work force for at least 7 years.

Exodus 21:2.

Admittedly it was different for those conquered in warfare, but then it was that or die, and even foreign slaves had to be well treated under the law, so ti was rarely much of a hardship in those days

The Gibeonites in fact willingly sold themselves into slavery to Israel, and trick the Israelites into accepting them. I am sure that they would not have gone to such great lengths to become slaves unless Israel had a good reputation for how it treated them.

Even a foreign slave could be given his freedom, by mutual agreement.

You need to read the law on slavery then, because you are very wrong in what you say, an Israelite slave can gain their freedom after 7 years.

Maybe you should try reading this.

Oh, and the word usually translated as "slave" also means "servant".
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 12:35:45 PM
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 12:37:34 PM

Only so that they wouldn't die.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 2:39:20 PM
At 3/19/2015 12:37:34 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Only so that they wouldn't die.

Again we come back to the word used for Slavery being the same as Servant.

However if you read what Paul said properly the reason you give is wrong.

Interestingly the American Standard Version translates that word as Servants rather than Slaves.

Ephesians 6:5
ASV(i) 5 Servants, be obedient unto them that according to the flesh are your masters, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

As does the Youngs Literal Translation

YLT(i) 5 The servants! obey the masters according to the flesh with fear and trembling, in the simplicity of your heart, as to the Christ;

Whereas the Analytical Literal Translation

ALT(i) 5 The slaves, be obeying the masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in sincerity of your heart, as to Christ,.

However, the reason for such obedience is not to save their lives, but to be as obedient as Christ.

That is because those who follow Christ are to be obedient to all those having authority over them, as Christ was, in any way that does not go against God's laws and principles.

After all, we are supposed to be imitating him, and as long as the slavery, or servitude, was not illegal, it should not be seen as a problem.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 6:21:56 PM
At 3/19/2015 12:49:03 PM, Philocat wrote:
Catholicism officially condemns slavery (Catechism 2414)

2414:
The seventh commandment forbids acts or enterprises that for any reason - selfish or ideological, commercial, or totalitarian - lead to the enslavement of human beings, to their being bought, sold and exchanged like merchandise, in disregard for their personal dignity. It is a sin against the dignity of persons and their fundamental rights to reduce them by violence to their productive value or to a source of profit. St. Paul directed a Christian master to treat his Christian slave "no longer as a slave but more than a slave, as a beloved brother, . . . both in the flesh and in the Lord."194

it says something and the Bible says something else, 2414 say its forbidden but in the Bible its permissible. and they quote how to treat a slave notice that Paul first and foremost didnt ban slavery but what they do is they took 1 verse of the 25 verses book of Philemon. read it yourself, it about a slave that had departed his master Philemon and in the letter Paul says only to treat him like a brother. what it has to do with slavery... who wrote this 2414 didnt read the Bible he making up things. and its not a secret that you have slavery in the christian history.
Never fart near dog
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 9:26:36 PM

Jainism? Buddhism? Etc?

Sikhism.

- You can literally replace 'Sikhs' with 'Muslims', & everything fits.