Jump to topic:

urinalysis

Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 10:42:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Job urinalyses are discrimination based on a person's body chemistry; are they not? Does this not open the door for further scrutiny? What if urinalyses start being used in other ways, like scrutinization of our genes or other biochemical attributes? What is the major distinction in why this is OK and lie-detectors aren't? Of course, lie-detectors may be arguably fair-game... Urinalyses used to be considered a violation of privacy, but because only drug users are currently disenfranchised there isn't any real complaint. But are drug users the canaries in the coal mine for other abuses to come? If you think it has always been this way (most of you are pretty young) and won't ever slide to something worse, you might be interested to know that about 20 years ago an airport security guard - we're talking about a guy who carries a gun every day - took a urinalysis discrimination case to the Supreme Court. He won the case based on the fact that it is rare that the guards have to use their weapons, and therefore there was not enough imminent justification for this blatant abuse of privacy. Fast forward to today, and I have to take a urinalysis to be a call center customer service representative. The legal trend here, as well as its cultural acceptance, is frightening.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 3:24:12 AM
At 7/19/2010 10:42:03 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
Job urinalyses are discrimination based on a person's body chemistry; are they not? Does this not open the door for further scrutiny? What if urinalyses start being used in other ways, like scrutinization of our genes or other biochemical attributes? What is the major distinction in why this is OK and lie-detectors aren't? Of course, lie-detectors may be arguably fair-game... Urinalyses used to be considered a violation of privacy, but because only drug users are currently disenfranchised there isn't any real complaint. But are drug users the canaries in the coal mine for other abuses to come? If you think it has always been this way (most of you are pretty young) and won't ever slide to something worse, you might be interested to know that about 20 years ago an airport security guard - we're talking about a guy who carries a gun every day - took a urinalysis discrimination case to the Supreme Court. He won the case based on the fact that it is rare that the guards have to use their weapons, and therefore there was not enough imminent justification for this blatant abuse of privacy. Fast forward to today, and I have to take a urinalysis to be a call center customer service representative. The legal trend here, as well as its cultural acceptance, is frightening.

Science Forum, Down the corridor, last door on the left
The Cross.. the Cross.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 7:17:31 PM
At 7/20/2010 7:03:10 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
lol I wrote this from my cellphone... whoops!

Lmao I watched a movie about something like that. Can't remember what it was called but it was biology related because they kept refering to and putting DNA referances throughout.

And lol I could even think about doing DDO on my phone. Actually I'd kinda like that but I can't get internet on my phone and if I did its crappy.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 7:28:55 PM
At 7/19/2010 10:42:03 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:

meh. blatant abuse of privacy? they're asking you to pee in a cup as a condition of employment. now, if they gave cops the power to randomly force urine tests on citizens and threatened them with arrest, that would be a different story. but since your relationship with your employer is voluntary, they should be able to ask you for whatever they want. you don't HAVE to work for them after all...

in general i think its dumb unless their drug use in affecting job performance, but if companies wanna be all uptight about it, thats their right....
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 7:29:17 PM
At 7/20/2010 7:17:31 PM, lovelife wrote:

Lmao I watched a movie about something like that. Can't remember what it was called but it was biology related because they kept refering to and putting DNA referances throughout.

And lol I could even think about doing DDO on my phone. Actually I'd kinda like that but I can't get internet on my phone and if I did its crappy.

gattica?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 8:29:56 PM
Don't want yer genes scrutinized? Lovely. Do business with people who don't require it.

Of course, I think the government might force some businesses to require it, that of course has to change.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 8:52:41 PM
At 7/20/2010 7:29:17 PM, belle wrote:
At 7/20/2010 7:17:31 PM, lovelife wrote:

gattica?

I belive so. All I know is this guy got burnt to a crisp XD
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 2:52:43 AM

The wonders of modern technology.. *sigh*
The Cross.. the Cross.