Total Posts:82|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God is a very rude deity

brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 9:17:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
God has absolutely no manners whatsoever. For example, He goes about insulting people...

"God calls the atheist a FOOL. Many atheists spend much time and effort attempting to "disprove" that God exists. According to Romans chapter 1 they know that He exists, but they want to control their own lives and not submit to the Lord. They are actually rather tragic figures just like any other unsaved individual."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Also, he is a bully and like most bullies, he picks on people who are smarter than him...

"If you are a scoffer or an atheist, you have NOT defeated the word of God with your big words and ideas, you have condemned yourself! Repent while you have hope or you will perish. When you die, it will be everlasting too late."

Furthermore, God follows you about, pestering you all day - even when you are trying to have a private meal with friends - he'll even follow you on vacation...

"The wrath of God is hanging over your head like a storm cloud. It's there when you lay down, when you wake up, when you are working, having lunch with friends, going on a trip--everywhere you go, that wrath goes with you."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Blimey, no wonder nobody goes to church anymore!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Valtarov
Posts: 136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 9:34:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/21/2010 9:17:07 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
God has absolutely no manners whatsoever. For example, He goes about insulting people...

"God calls the atheist a FOOL. Many atheists spend much time and effort attempting to "disprove" that God exists. According to Romans chapter 1 they know that He exists, but they want to control their own lives and not submit to the Lord. They are actually rather tragic figures just like any other unsaved individual."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Also, he is a bully and like most bullies, he picks on people who are smarter than him...

"If you are a scoffer or an atheist, you have NOT defeated the word of God with your big words and ideas, you have condemned yourself! Repent while you have hope or you will perish. When you die, it will be everlasting too late."

Furthermore, God follows you about, pestering you all day - even when you are trying to have a private meal with friends - he'll even follow you on vacation...

"The wrath of God is hanging over your head like a storm cloud. It's there when you lay down, when you wake up, when you are working, having lunch with friends, going on a trip--everywhere you go, that wrath goes with you."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Blimey, no wonder nobody goes to church anymore!

Websites like this make me want to chew out the people that wrote them. Idiots write these things, pass them off as Christian, and do those of us who actually believe a huge disservice in the process.

Point 1: Paul calls them fools, not God. The other point is true cf. everyone from Confucius to Cicero.

Point 2: You can't be smarter than an omniscient being.

Point 3: Completely false under all Christian doctrine. It is not God's wrath but His grace that follows you. You can just never choose to accept it.
"We are half-hearted creatures,
fooling about with drink and sex and
ambition when infinite joy is offered us,
like an ignorant child who wants to go on
making mud pies in a slum because he
cannot imagine what is meant by the offer
of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily
pleased."—C.S. Lewis, "The Weight of Glory"
vivalayeo
Posts: 142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 9:51:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
These website's are laughable, because mainly their basic premise is completely false. When they say 'Atheist' they refer to everyone that does not believe in their God. Then they go on about 'Atheist values' in which they then refer to all non-believer's as follower's of a cult with it's belief's written in stone. But that's the problem, being atheist, is simply not believing in God. It doesn't mean that we all have the same value's and worship Dawkin's Darwin and Hitchen's. Give me a break.
Valtarov
Posts: 136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 10:05:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/21/2010 9:51:41 AM, vivalayeo wrote:
These website's are laughable, because mainly their basic premise is completely false. When they say 'Atheist' they refer to everyone that does not believe in their God. Then they go on about 'Atheist values' in which they then refer to all non-believer's as follower's of a cult with it's belief's written in stone. But that's the problem, being atheist, is simply not believing in God. It doesn't mean that we all have the same value's and worship Dawkin's Darwin and Hitchen's. Give me a break.

You forgot to include all the Christians who believe slightly different things than they do. This website has a grand time attacking Catholics as being heathen poly-theists and various other smears.
"We are half-hearted creatures,
fooling about with drink and sex and
ambition when infinite joy is offered us,
like an ignorant child who wants to go on
making mud pies in a slum because he
cannot imagine what is meant by the offer
of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily
pleased."—C.S. Lewis, "The Weight of Glory"
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 12:36:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/21/2010 11:28:32 AM, innomen wrote:
Albert Einstein:
"God is subtle but he is not malicious."

Wrong God. Einstein was a Pantheist, not a Christian.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 1:07:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/21/2010 12:36:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/21/2010 11:28:32 AM, innomen wrote:
Albert Einstein:
"God is subtle but he is not malicious."

Wrong God. Einstein was a Pantheist, not a Christian.

Einstein was a Jew, duh.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 3:50:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/21/2010 9:17:07 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
God has absolutely no manners whatsoever. For example, He goes about insulting people...

"God calls the atheist a FOOL. Many atheists spend much time and effort attempting to "disprove" that God exists. According to Romans chapter 1 they know that He exists, but they want to control their own lives and not submit to the Lord. They are actually rather tragic figures just like any other unsaved individual."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Also, he is a bully and like most bullies, he picks on people who are smarter than him...

"If you are a scoffer or an atheist, you have NOT defeated the word of God with your big words and ideas, you have condemned yourself! Repent while you have hope or you will perish. When you die, it will be everlasting too late."

Furthermore, God follows you about, pestering you all day - even when you are trying to have a private meal with friends - he'll even follow you on vacation...

"The wrath of God is hanging over your head like a storm cloud. It's there when you lay down, when you wake up, when you are working, having lunch with friends, going on a trip--everywhere you go, that wrath goes with you."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Blimey, no wonder nobody goes to church anymore!

Mmm.. God's such a bully that He became a Man and allowed His chosen people to falsely accuse Him, mock and spit on Him, and hand Him over to the Godless to be tortured and crucified.

SOME bully.

Satans ONLY plan since day one (or probably day 8 or 9) is to attack Gods character; YOU are doing the work of your own god/father!

The whole Bible, the gospels, the parables, the prophets and psalms etc etc can be condensed to three little words:

God is good.

THAT is the good news, the message!

GOD. IS. GOOD.
The Cross.. the Cross.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 5:15:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/22/2010 3:50:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Mmm.. God's such a bully that He became a Man and allowed His chosen people to falsely accuse Him, mock and spit on Him, and hand Him over to the Godless to be tortured and crucified.

SOME bully.

Satans ONLY plan since day one (or probably day 8 or 9) is to attack Gods character; YOU are doing the work of your own god/father!

The whole Bible, the gospels, the parables, the prophets and psalms etc etc can be condensed to three little words:

God is good.

THAT is the good news, the message!


He impregnated an unknowing virgin girl, had her carry the baby even though she was under attack the whole time.

Then he had his son be tortured and killed just to satisfy his anger. Plus he only ever gives one point of veiw. Not to mention how many times he viciously attacked people sometimes for no reason at all. Not to mention all the animals he killed, and all the sacrifices he forced people to make.

GOD. IS. GOOD.

Well I guess someone has to think so.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Mason0612
Posts: 160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 10:59:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/22/2010 3:50:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 7/21/2010 9:17:07 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
God has absolutely no manners whatsoever. For example, He goes about insulting people...

"God calls the atheist a FOOL. Many atheists spend much time and effort attempting to "disprove" that God exists. According to Romans chapter 1 they know that He exists, but they want to control their own lives and not submit to the Lord. They are actually rather tragic figures just like any other unsaved individual."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Also, he is a bully and like most bullies, he picks on people who are smarter than him...

"If you are a scoffer or an atheist, you have NOT defeated the word of God with your big words and ideas, you have condemned yourself! Repent while you have hope or you will perish. When you die, it will be everlasting too late."

Furthermore, God follows you about, pestering you all day - even when you are trying to have a private meal with friends - he'll even follow you on vacation...

"The wrath of God is hanging over your head like a storm cloud. It's there when you lay down, when you wake up, when you are working, having lunch with friends, going on a trip--everywhere you go, that wrath goes with you."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Blimey, no wonder nobody goes to church anymore!

Mmm.. God's such a bully that He became a Man and allowed His chosen people to falsely accuse Him, mock and spit on Him, and hand Him over to the Godless to be tortured and crucified.

SOME bully.

Satans ONLY plan since day one (or probably day 8 or 9) is to attack Gods character; YOU are doing the work of your own god/father!

The whole Bible, the gospels, the parables, the prophets and psalms etc etc can be condensed to three little words:

God is good.

THAT is the good news, the message!

GOD. IS. GOOD.

Ok, now prove that your "God" exists. If you can't touch him, feel him, see him, smell him, hear him, or taste him, then what is the basis for your argument? Our senses is how we interact with the world and come to conclusions. If you claim there is something out there that we can't use any of our senses to figure out, then how can you believe in it?
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 11:23:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/22/2010 10:59:43 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
At 7/22/2010 3:50:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 7/21/2010 9:17:07 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
God has absolutely no manners whatsoever. For example, He goes about insulting people...

"God calls the atheist a FOOL. Many atheists spend much time and effort attempting to "disprove" that God exists. According to Romans chapter 1 they know that He exists, but they want to control their own lives and not submit to the Lord. They are actually rather tragic figures just like any other unsaved individual."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Also, he is a bully and like most bullies, he picks on people who are smarter than him...

"If you are a scoffer or an atheist, you have NOT defeated the word of God with your big words and ideas, you have condemned yourself! Repent while you have hope or you will perish. When you die, it will be everlasting too late."

Furthermore, God follows you about, pestering you all day - even when you are trying to have a private meal with friends - he'll even follow you on vacation...

"The wrath of God is hanging over your head like a storm cloud. It's there when you lay down, when you wake up, when you are working, having lunch with friends, going on a trip--everywhere you go, that wrath goes with you."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Blimey, no wonder nobody goes to church anymore!

Mmm.. God's such a bully that He became a Man and allowed His chosen people to falsely accuse Him, mock and spit on Him, and hand Him over to the Godless to be tortured and crucified.

SOME bully.

Satans ONLY plan since day one (or probably day 8 or 9) is to attack Gods character; YOU are doing the work of your own god/father!

The whole Bible, the gospels, the parables, the prophets and psalms etc etc can be condensed to three little words:

God is good.

THAT is the good news, the message!

GOD. IS. GOOD.

Ok, now prove that your "God" exists. If you can't touch him, feel him, see him, smell him, hear him, or taste him, then what is the basis for your argument? Our senses is how we interact with the world and come to conclusions. If you claim there is something out there that we can't use any of our senses to figure out, then how can you believe in it?

Do you believe in the laws of logic? Can you touch, taste, see, smell, hear, or taste them?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 12:05:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/22/2010 11:23:53 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Ok, now prove that your "God" exists. If you can't touch him, feel him, see him, smell him, hear him, or taste him, then what is the basis for your argument? Our senses is how we interact with the world and come to conclusions. If you claim there is something out there that we can't use any of our senses to figure out, then how can you believe in it?

Do you believe in the laws of logic? Can you touch, taste, see, smell, hear, or taste them?

Hell, do you believe in gravity?
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 3:30:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/22/2010 5:15:06 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 7/22/2010 3:50:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Mmm.. God's such a bully that He became a Man and allowed His chosen people to falsely accuse Him, mock and spit on Him, and hand Him over to the Godless to be tortured and crucified.

SOME bully.

Satans ONLY plan since day one (or probably day 8 or 9) is to attack Gods character; YOU are doing the work of your own god/father!

The whole Bible, the gospels, the parables, the prophets and psalms etc etc can be condensed to three little words:

God is good.

THAT is the good news, the message!


He impregnated an unknowing virgin girl, had her carry the baby even though she was under attack the whole time.

Then he had his son be tortured and killed just to satisfy his anger. Plus he only ever gives one point of veiw. Not to mention how many times he viciously attacked people sometimes for no reason at all. Not to mention all the animals he killed, and all the sacrifices he forced people to make.

GOD. IS. GOOD.

Well I guess someone has to think so.

No, to satify JUSTICE!

God IS good!
The Cross.. the Cross.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 5:36:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 12:05:39 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/22/2010 11:23:53 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Ok, now prove that your "God" exists. If you can't touch him, feel him, see him, smell him, hear him, or taste him, then what is the basis for your argument? Our senses is how we interact with the world and come to conclusions. If you claim there is something out there that we can't use any of our senses to figure out, then how can you believe in it?

Do you believe in the laws of logic? Can you touch, taste, see, smell, hear, or taste them?

Hell, do you believe in gravity?

granted the original argument is shitty but we actually do feel the effects of gravity constantly in not flying away...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 5:55:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 3:30:02 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 7/22/2010 5:15:06 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 7/22/2010 3:50:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Mmm.. God's such a bully that He became a Man and allowed His chosen people to falsely accuse Him, mock and spit on Him, and hand Him over to the Godless to be tortured and crucified.

SOME bully.

Satans ONLY plan since day one (or probably day 8 or 9) is to attack Gods character; YOU are doing the work of your own god/father!

The whole Bible, the gospels, the parables, the prophets and psalms etc etc can be condensed to three little words:

God is good.

THAT is the good news, the message!


He impregnated an unknowing virgin girl, had her carry the baby even though she was under attack the whole time.

Then he had his son be tortured and killed just to satisfy his anger. Plus he only ever gives one point of veiw. Not to mention how many times he viciously attacked people sometimes for no reason at all. Not to mention all the animals he killed, and all the sacrifices he forced people to make.

GOD. IS. GOOD.

Well I guess someone has to think so.

No, to satify JUSTICE!

God IS good!

Lmao, are you seriously legit?

Last I checked sacrifice of life is not Justice. God repeatedly called for human and animal sacrifice. Therefore God is not justice, and therefore God is not good.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 6:23:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 3:30:02 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
God IS good!

Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
halu09
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 6:58:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
We didnt need to see...taste...hear...feel...or even smell to know f God is real!
we only need is a proof
it was base on my own experience that repeatedly experienced until now
when i have a problem i was prying w/ all my heart however it was hard still it was resolve
halu09
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 7:02:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
@Reasoning

whats the difference between this "Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?"

u said first:
-morally good commanded by God because it is morally good
-or is it morally good because it is commanded by God
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 7:23:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 7:02:27 AM, halu09 wrote:
@Reasoning

whats the difference between this "Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?"

u said first:
-morally good commanded by God because it is morally good
-or is it morally good because it is commanded by God

I'm thinking he wants to know if its only good cause God said so. Anyone can go around claiming their all good, but you judge from actions and intentions whether someone/something is good or not.

Honestly I don't see much difference in God and Kira other than God kills even good people for no real reason. I never saw Light kill anyone just for not believing in him. The closest is when he kills a rapist to prove to that one guy that he really is kira, but its not the same.

So in reality Kira is more moral then God. Thats kinda sad seeing how many "good guys" hate him and shot him like 5 times. But thats just my veiw. (okay yeah so I'm kinda obsessed with Death Note at the moment, but it still works)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
sal
Posts: 319
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 7:45:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 5:55:24 AM, lovelife wrote:

Last I checked sacrifice of life is not Justice. God repeatedly called for human and animal sacrifice. Therefore God is not justice, and therefore God is not good.

what about sacrificing yourself for someone you truly love.
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 8:09:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/21/2010 9:34:05 AM, Valtarov wrote:

Point 2: You can't be smarter than an omniscient being.

Just because he KNOWS everything doesn't mean he FIGURED IT OUT.
Mason0612
Posts: 160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 3:00:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/22/2010 11:23:53 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/22/2010 10:59:43 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
At 7/22/2010 3:50:17 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 7/21/2010 9:17:07 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
God has absolutely no manners whatsoever. For example, He goes about insulting people...

"God calls the atheist a FOOL. Many atheists spend much time and effort attempting to "disprove" that God exists. According to Romans chapter 1 they know that He exists, but they want to control their own lives and not submit to the Lord. They are actually rather tragic figures just like any other unsaved individual."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Also, he is a bully and like most bullies, he picks on people who are smarter than him...

"If you are a scoffer or an atheist, you have NOT defeated the word of God with your big words and ideas, you have condemned yourself! Repent while you have hope or you will perish. When you die, it will be everlasting too late."

Furthermore, God follows you about, pestering you all day - even when you are trying to have a private meal with friends - he'll even follow you on vacation...

"The wrath of God is hanging over your head like a storm cloud. It's there when you lay down, when you wake up, when you are working, having lunch with friends, going on a trip--everywhere you go, that wrath goes with you."

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Blimey, no wonder nobody goes to church anymore!

Mmm.. God's such a bully that He became a Man and allowed His chosen people to falsely accuse Him, mock and spit on Him, and hand Him over to the Godless to be tortured and crucified.

SOME bully.

Satans ONLY plan since day one (or probably day 8 or 9) is to attack Gods character; YOU are doing the work of your own god/father!

The whole Bible, the gospels, the parables, the prophets and psalms etc etc can be condensed to three little words:

God is good.

THAT is the good news, the message!

GOD. IS. GOOD.

Ok, now prove that your "God" exists. If you can't touch him, feel him, see him, smell him, hear him, or taste him, then what is the basis for your argument? Our senses is how we interact with the world and come to conclusions. If you claim there is something out there that we can't use any of our senses to figure out, then how can you believe in it?

Do you believe in the laws of logic? Can you touch, taste, see, smell, hear, or taste them?

The laws of logic come from our senses. When someone conducts an experiment, they are observing the results with their senses. It is logical to water your plants. Sure, there is no material law that we can touch, but we know through practice that if you don't water plants, they will die. We can see this. So yes, we have to use our senses with the laws of logic. Otherwise, it wouldn't be logic.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 3:12:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 3:00:55 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
The laws of logic come from our senses. When someone conducts an experiment, they are observing the results with their senses. It is logical to water your plants. Sure, there is no material law that we can touch, but we know through practice that if you don't water plants, they will die. We can see this. So yes, we have to use our senses with the laws of logic. Otherwise, it wouldn't be logic.

So logic or math is an abstraction of reality, right?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 3:13:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 3:12:07 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 7/23/2010 3:00:55 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
The laws of logic come from our senses. When someone conducts an experiment, they are observing the results with their senses. It is logical to water your plants. Sure, there is no material law that we can touch, but we know through practice that if you don't water plants, they will die. We can see this. So yes, we have to use our senses with the laws of logic. Otherwise, it wouldn't be logic.

So logic or math is an abstraction of reality, right?

ooh... Nietzsche has a really good quote for this I wish I knew by heart right now.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 3:14:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 7:45:32 AM, sal wrote:
At 7/23/2010 5:55:24 AM, lovelife wrote:

Last I checked sacrifice of life is not Justice. God repeatedly called for human and animal sacrifice. Therefore God is not justice, and therefore God is not good.

what about sacrificing yourself for someone you truly love.

That is not the same as coming home and being greated by your daughter and saying "oh too bad for you, I have to kill you now"
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 3:21:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 3:13:45 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
ooh... Nietzsche has a really good quote for this I wish I knew by heart right now.

here it is! :)

3. Having kept a sharp eye on philosophers, and having read between their lines long enough, I now say to myself that the greater part of conscious thinking must be counted among the instinctive functions, and it is so even in the case of philosophical thinking; one has here to learn anew, as one learned anew about heredity and "innateness." As little as the act of birth comes into consideration in the whole process and procedure of heredity, just as little is "being-conscious" OPPOSED to the instinctive in any decisive sense; the greater part of the conscious thinking of a philosopher is secretly influenced by his instincts, and forced into definite channels. And behind all logic and its seeming sovereignty of movement, there are valuations, or to speak more plainly, physiological demands, for the maintenance of a definite mode of life For example, that the certain is worth more than the uncertain, that illusion is less valuable than "truth" such valuations, in spite of their regulative importance for US, might notwithstanding be only superficial valuations, special kinds of maiserie, such as may be necessary for the maintenance of beings such as ourselves. Supposing, in effect, that man is not just the "measure of things."

4. The falseness of an opinion is not for us any objection to it: it is here, perhaps, that our new language sounds most strangely. The question is, how far an opinion is life-furthering, life- preserving, species-preserving, perhaps species-rearing, and we are fundamentally inclined to maintain that the falsest opinions (to which the synthetic judgments a priori belong), are the most indispensable to us, that without a recognition of logical fictions, without a comparison of reality with the purely IMAGINED world of the absolute and immutable, without a constant counterfeiting of the world by means of numbers, man could not live--that the renunciation of false opinions would be a renunciation of life, a negation of life. TO RECOGNISE UNTRUTH AS A CONDITION OF LIFE; that is certainly to impugn the traditional ideas of value in a dangerous manner, and a philosophy which ventures to do so, has thereby alone placed itself beyond good and evil.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 3:24:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
And the follow up!

5. That which causes philosophers to be regarded half- distrustfully and half-mockingly, is not the oft-repeated discovery how innocent they are--how often and easily they make mistakes and lose their way, in short, how childish and childlike they are,--but that there is not enough honest dealing with them, whereas they all raise a loud and virtuous outcry when the problem of truthfulness is even hinted at in the remotest manner. They all pose as though their real opinions had been discovered and attained through the self-evolving of a cold, pure, divinely indifferent dialectic (in contrast to all sorts of mystics, who, fairer and foolisher, talk of "inspiration"), whereas, in fact, a prejudiced proposition, idea, or "suggestion," which is generally their heart's desire abstracted and refined, is defended by them with arguments sought out after the event. They are all advocates who do not wish to be regarded as such, generally astute defenders, also, of their prejudices, which they dub "truths,"-- and VERY far from having the conscience which bravely admits this to itself, very far from having the good taste of the courage which goes so far as to let this be understood, perhaps to warn friend or foe, or in cheerful confidence and self-ridicule. The spectacle of the Tartuffery of old Kant, equally stiff and decent, with which he entices us into the dialectic by-ways that lead (more correctly mislead) to his "categorical imperative"-- makes us fastidious ones smile, we who find no small amusement in spying out the subtle tricks of old moralists and ethical preachers. Or, still more so, the hocus-pocus in mathematical form, by means of which Spinoza has, as it were, clad his philosophy in mail and mask--in fact, the "love of HIS wisdom," to translate the term fairly and squarely--in order thereby to strike terror at once into the heart of the assailant who should dare to cast a glance on that invincible maiden, that Pallas Athene:--how much of personal timidity and vulnerability does this masquerade of a sickly recluse betray!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Mason0612
Posts: 160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 3:24:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 3:12:07 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 7/23/2010 3:00:55 PM, Mason0612 wrote:
The laws of logic come from our senses. When someone conducts an experiment, they are observing the results with their senses. It is logical to water your plants. Sure, there is no material law that we can touch, but we know through practice that if you don't water plants, they will die. We can see this. So yes, we have to use our senses with the laws of logic. Otherwise, it wouldn't be logic.

So logic or math is an abstraction of reality, right?

Logic and math is reality.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 4:08:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 3:00:55 PM, Mason0612 wrote:

The laws of logic come from our senses. When someone conducts an experiment, they are observing the results with their senses. It is logical to water your plants. Sure, there is no material law that we can touch, but we know through practice that if you don't water plants, they will die. We can see this. So yes, we have to use our senses with the laws of logic. Otherwise, it wouldn't be logic.

Uh, no. First off, you're equivocating on the use of the word logic. I'm talking about the classical laws of logic. Things like the law of non-contradiction, identity, and excluded middle.

Second, it's impossible that that laws of logic be derived from sensory experience as they are are universal. We would have to observe every part of reality in order to ensure that they "work" universally.

Third, by making out the laws of logic to be derived from sensory experience you are making them contingent. What would it mean to say that the law of non-contradiction is contingent (possibly non-existent). The way we judge logical possibility is by the law of non-contradiction!
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Mason0612
Posts: 160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 4:24:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/23/2010 4:08:13 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/23/2010 3:00:55 PM, Mason0612 wrote:

The laws of logic come from our senses. When someone conducts an experiment, they are observing the results with their senses. It is logical to water your plants. Sure, there is no material law that we can touch, but we know through practice that if you don't water plants, they will die. We can see this. So yes, we have to use our senses with the laws of logic. Otherwise, it wouldn't be logic.

Uh, no. First off, you're equivocating on the use of the word logic. I'm talking about the classical laws of logic. Things like the law of non-contradiction, identity, and excluded middle.

Second, it's impossible that that laws of logic be derived from sensory experience as they are are universal. We would have to observe every part of reality in order to ensure that they "work" universally.

Third, by making out the laws of logic to be derived from sensory experience you are making them contingent. What would it mean to say that the law of non-contradiction is contingent (possibly non-existent). The way we judge logical possibility is by the law of non-contradiction!

If you don't think logic is derived from sensory, then where do you think it comes from? (And by the way, nice vocabulary. I had to look a few of those words up.)