Jump to topic:

Satan

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 12:00:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Does anyone know why Lucifer is frequently depicted as goat-like? Last time I checked he was the "Morning Star" and the most beautiful of angels. And then boom: goat, or am I missing something here? I'm also not "saying" he exists or not and blah blah, so don't debate me.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 12:11:48 PM
I have no idea, but actually it is a compliment, in my opinion. Goats are so much more intelligent and less likely to be led than sheep, (we used to keep a couple of goats over 20 years ago). I would much sooner be considered a goat than a sheep.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 12:25:57 PM
At 3/23/2015 12:00:03 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Does anyone know why Lucifer is frequently depicted as goat-like? Last time I checked he was the "Morning Star" and the most beautiful of angels. And then boom: goat, or am I missing something here? I'm also not "saying" he exists or not and blah blah, so don't debate me.: :

Goats are fun to watch versus sheep but sheep are much easier to lead to the slaughter house.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 12:45:54 PM
Does anyone know why Lucifer is frequently depicted as goat-like? Last time I checked he was the "Morning Star" and the most beautiful of angels. And then boom: goat, or am I missing something here? I'm also not "saying" he exists or not and blah blah, so don't debate me.

The Jews were a wandering tribe and would often take the God's of other cultures and make them their devil. The image was inspired by Pan, among other things.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 1:18:44 PM
You guys are just so helpful, really.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Excalibur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 1:42:04 PM

I always thought that was somewhat funny myself. Anytime I would debate someone on religion the question would always rear itself:

"You actually believe a red scaly pitched fork goat controls hell?"

No. Not even close.

As far as to how he came to be depicted as such, I'm not sure. I'd have to look into myself, but it's not really at the top of my list.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:45:42 PM
Judaism was at religious war with Greeks and so Judaism taught against homosexuality and pagan deities of which Pan was one of the most famous for the Greeks and many others. Goats have the weirdest eyes...I've seen them eat star thistles which have terrible spike thorns and the goats merely spit them out chomping away at the thistles. They are bad news for local eco-systems though as they eat everything plant-wise they can reach. I like goats all the same, silly creatures and usually nice, except billies..
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:54:19 PM
Why are we talking about Satan which comes from Setan, another cognate of the Egyptian (and Israelite) god Set, a quite scary creature known in mythology for cutting his brother Osiris into 14 parts and scattering them. Isis found the parts and put Osiris back together resurrecting him in an annual reenactment at the House of Anu (Anubis) .This story appears in the New Testament as the story of Lazarus which is Greek/Egyptian for EL Osiris and House of Anu became Hebrewized as "Beth-any". Origin said he tried to find Bethany in the second century and couldn't. But like Nazareth, Bethany exists today to shore up New Testament scriptures.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:02:48 PM

Well, goats are glorious beasts.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:19:26 PM
So, in sum, none of you know?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:27:26 PM

In Judaism, Satan by name is mentioned once, that is in job. Where the name means "Adversary" or "Accuser". Where Satan accuses Job of being unfaithful. This may be more a title than a proper name. Hence why Jesus called some people "Satan", one of his apostles Peter even.

The morning star reference comes from a bad history of translation from Isaiah 14:12-15. The terms were "light bearer". And because the question at the beginning of the chapter was "How are thou.." like a personification. this term was translated to the name: Lucifer.

But this is very different than the "morning star". They only recently became mixed up. See a light bearer, like the man carrying a torch, is responsible to protect the flame from the elements shelter it till coming to it's appointed time. It's a great dishonor to be carrying the torch and let it go out. But instead of protecting the light, Lucifer, decided to put his place above the throne of God. hence the fall.

Now as far as the imagery. Angels with bull heads, lion heads, wings, horns, hoofs ect.. are used in Judaism to represent God's loyal angels. Lucifer was a cherub, a type of angel that carried the seat of God or as a herald before God's coming.

But the depiction of Satan as a Satyr type character came about in the 1400 after the plague. If Satan in the artwork looked like the deities of Pagan religions, it further strengthened the idea that pagan religions were worshiping demons instead of the one true god. This is were the depiction of Baphomet comes about. And there are other representation of this same motif.

So the representation of Satan as a goat headed being is better understood in the context of medieval artwork as a modern amalgamation of pagan gods and pagan icons (icons like symbols ex. Neptune Pitchfork)

At the time the church was actually excavating and securing the greek and roman artifacts. Which is where these symbols came from.

But Satan's real form as a fallen angel is probably like other angels when spoken about on earth. Appears like a handsome human.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:38:14 PM

To make it even simpler. The way the devil looks is because an artist drew him that way. In the bible and other religious books around the world, when angels (fallen or not) are met in person they are handsome people. When Angels (fallen or not) are seen in dreams or vision they are described with animal parts to symbolize powers and qualities.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 12:53:20 AM

It is the sacrificial offering that God has prepared for us, (Not the man Jesus) who takes on the sins of the world, and when the Sons of God descended through time and taught the pre-flood humans the secrets that had been stored in heaven, which the Lord "Jahel" Jah=Lord, El=the creator, Jahel=Lord to the glory of the creator, said was only useless knowledge. one of those Sons of God, was Azazel.

When the sons of God who had abandoned their original habitat and descended through time and defiled themselves with the daughters of man, Azazel was punished separate from the rest, he was taken out into the wilderness to a place called Dudael, where he was cast into a pit, and covered with rough and Jagged rocks and all sin was ascribed to him.

This is why Moses, the adopted son of the Egyptian King, who was taught by the greatest teachers in Egypt, gave to his brother Aaron, the religious regulation, where he would choose a scape-goat, and placing his hand upon its head, he would symbolically transfer the sins of Israel to the goat, which was then sent out to Azazel in the wilderness.See Leviticus 16: 20-23.

It is from here that Lucifer the goat-like God to who all sin is ascribed, originated, Jesus, his chosen successor is "The bright morning star."

This is why Jesus, the man who was filled with the spirit of the Lord, the earthly "IMAGE" of the Lord, Had to be lifted up upon a pole in the same manner that Moses lifted up upon a pole the "IMAGE" of the serpent, in order that all who are dying from the accusing venom of the old serpent, now only have to turn their eyes to his perfected image that has been lifted up into the presence of the Holy angels once again.

From the book of Enoch the prophet. [Chapter 9] 1 And then Michael, Uriel, Raphael, and Gabriel looked down from heaven and saw much blood being shed upon the earth, and all lawlessness being wrought upon the earth. And they said to the Lord: "Thou seest what Azazel hath done, who hath taught all unrighteousness on earth and revealed the eternal secrets which were (preserved) in heaven, which 7 men were striving to learn: etc."

And Azazel taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all 2 colouring tinctures. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they 3 were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways.

Chapter 10: 4-8. And again the Lord said to Raphael: 'Bind Azazel hand and foot, and cast him into the darkness: and make an opening 5 in the desert, which is in Dudael, and cast him therein. And place upon him rough and jagged rocks, and cover him with darkness, and let him abide there for ever, and cover his face that he may 6,7 not see light. And on the day of the great judgement he shall be cast into the fire. And heal the earth which the angels have corrupted, and proclaim the healing of the earth, that they may heal the plague, and that all the children of men may not perish through all the secret things that the 8 Watchers=Observers have disclosed and have taught their sons.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 4:35:23 AM
The irony for those who believe that "Lucifer" refers to Satan is that the same title ('morning star' or 'light-bearer') is used to refer to Jesus, in 2 Peter 1:19, where the Greek text has exactly the same term: 'phos-phoros' 'light-bearer.' This is also the term used for Jesus in Revelation 22:16.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 5:04:24 AM
At 3/24/2015 4:35:23 AM, Composer wrote:
The irony for those who believe that "Lucifer" refers to Satan is that the same title ('morning star' or 'light-bearer') is used to refer to Jesus, in 2 Peter 1:19, where the Greek text has exactly the same term: 'phos-phoros' 'light-bearer.' This is also the term used for Jesus in Revelation 22:16.

Didn't I just point that out in my post #14? Or didn't you bother to read it?
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:24:28 AM
That's good research on the roots of the goat/devil imagery associated with Azazel. The Lucifer/Jesus connection goes back to Jesus representing his namesake Yahweh who priests of Judah did pull a Lucifer stunt with and have gotten away with hiding it for millennia from believers. In ancient Canaan before the advent of Hebrews (700 BC earliest known date for Hebrew artifacts making all their tales of earlier Hebrew history only fables) EL Elyon was top God Most High. He had sons and daughters and Yahweh was one of them as originally called Yamm. There is a Canaanite cuniform text showing where EL renames Yamm, Yahwe and one can trace Yahweh's war with Baal right back to Yamm's war with Baal for EL Elyon's position as top God. In Deuteronomy 32 in Hebrew one can still find this EL/Yahweh relation as EL designates Yahweh's people to be the Israelites. Psalms 82 and 86 also have this relationship. But in the Sinai Covenant EL is dethroned as top God and Yahweh is substituted, all gussied up as "YHWH", a sacred Name you're not supposed to speak. But there it is: the Lucifer stunt of replacing EL with Yahweh.

It could never work because EL was known for ruling all the gods through wisdom and compassion while Yahweh was a typical war god who used fear and force to rule his people and instructed them to do likewise, hence one is to fear God in order to believe the right way. One fears the commanding officer who issued commands that cannot be disobeyed without dire consequences--this is how obedience is obtained in military practice. Yahweh worshipers are in the same boat (so too Allah worshipers as Allah is essentially Yahweh of the Old Testament). You disobey the Commander, and you die or you are penalized severely. A wise man needs no such threats to impart wisdom.

This is why God wants a Christ Sage King for Messiah and not another Warrior King David type. Warrior kings bring war.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 12:04:23 PM

Humans seem to need some sort of physical reference point, most find it hard to deal with the idea of a God, or even a Satan who has no physical form whatever.

Hence Satan either goat-like or dressed in red with horns and a goatee beard, Death as a cloaked skeleton with a scythe etc..
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 6:08:19 PM
At 3/24/2015 7:24:28 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote.........This is why God wants a Christ Sage King for Messiah and not another Warrior King David type. Warrior kings bring war.

Gentorev...........You poor old Jew hating darling. As much as you would love to convince the people that the Hebrew history and their prophets are all lies, you will fail. All the Hebrew prophets point to the time when the warrior King who is to take the throne of David in Jerusalem and subdue all the surrounding Nations who wish to drive Israel into the sea, and out of the land that is their legal inheritance, will be conquered and brought into subjection.

The war to end all wars, is not between God and Satan, but between the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and the Nations of the world, who would drive Israel into the sea and into oblivion, if not for His intervention.

Concerning that war to end all wars; which is to be the salvation of the Nation of Israel in the great tribulation, when the Holy City will be surrounded by those nations who would attempt to drive God's chosen people into the sea.

"Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision. The sun and moon shall be darkened and the stars shall withdraw their shining. The Lord also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem, and the heavens and earth shall shake, but the Lord will be the hope of his people, and
"A King like a bright star, will arise in that Nation. Like a comet he will come from Israel. He will strike the leaders of Moab and beat down all the people of Seth. He will conquer his enemies in Edom and make their land his possession. While Israel continues victorious. The Nation of Israel will trample them down and wipe out the last survivors.

They shall look upon me, and see the one they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him as one mourns for an only child.

"Who is this coming from Bozrah in Edom? Who is this so splendidly dressed in red, marching along in power and strength?" It is the Lord powerful to save, coming to announce his victory. "Why is his clothing so red, like that of a man who tramples grapes to make wine?"

The Lord answers, "I have trampled the Nations like grapes and no one came to help me. I trampled them in my anger, and their blood has stained all my clothing. I decided that the time to save my people had come; it was time to punish their enemies. I was amazed when I looked and saw that there was no one to help me. But my anger made me strong, and I won the victory myself. In my anger I trampled whole Nations and shattered them. I poured out their life"s blood on the earth."

Zechariah speaks of the day in which the Lord will save his people. Chapter 14: "The Lord will come to fight for his people as he has fought in times past. He will fight the enemies of Israel; those Nation who surround Jerusalem in their attempt to drive God"s chosen people into the sea.

The Lord will throw them into a state of confusion, and the weapons of destruction, with which they would destroy Israel, He will cause them to turn upon their own allies, and they will suffer a terrible disease, the soft tissue, such as their eyes and tongues will melt in their sockets, and their radiated flesh, "cooked to the bone," will slide from their bodies while they are still standing.

Then all the surviving Nations, will send their representatives each year to Jerusalem in the land of Israel, to worship, and pay tribute to the Lord, who will rule the whole world with a rod of iron and woe betide those who refuse to do so.

Your disbelief in the Hebrew prophets, will not stop all that they forecast from happening.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 6:30:05 PM
The early Christians were Europeans known for their sheep shagging. The goat was a threat to their way of animal husbandry and therefore labeled satan. in truth Satan was an angel who had little to do with the sheep shaggers that are contamination the meat Europeans eat.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 6:49:21 PM
At 3/24/2015 6:30:05 PM, Harikrish wrote:
The early Christians were Europeans known for their sheep shagging. The goat was a threat to their way of animal husbandry and therefore labeled satan. in truth Satan was an angel who had little to do with the sheep shaggers that are contamination the meat Europeans eat.

Trust you to find that crude an explanation. Just your level I guess.

The truth is more likely that his anthropomorphism was based on the Greek God Pan.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 6:59:17 PM
At 3/24/2015 6:49:21 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

The truth is more likely that his anthropomorphism was based on the Greek God Pan.
Just another fancy name for a sheep shagger. Why do you think you live alone with animals? Lol!!!
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 12:38:34 AM
At 3/24/2015 6:59:17 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Just another fancy name for a sheep shagger. Why do you think you live alone with animals? Lol!!!

I think that you have your head stuck up a goat ars, and that's why you are continually spitting shyt.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 12:52:14 AM

At 3/24/2015 5:04:24 AM, Gentorev wrote:
I provided the Story book quotes you didn't!
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 1:47:15 AM
At 3/25/2015 12:52:14 AM, Composer wrote:

SOOO?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 5:06:06 AM

At 3/25/2015 1:47:15 AM, Gentorev wrote:
SOOO?
When one makes a claim it requires evidence/source!

YOU failed to support your claim with the evidence, I didn't!
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 1:13:40 PM
At 3/25/2015 12:38:34 AM, Gentorev wrote:

I think that you have your head stuck up a goat ars, and that's why you are continually spitting shyt.

Low birth rates in Europe and Australia are attributed to the consumption of contaminated pre-shagged meat . The same problem does not arise in Muslim countries or Muslim populations where meat are washed and blessed before eating. Muslims have the highest birth rate among western countries. Hard to deny the correlation between low birth rate and eating pre-shagged meat.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 1:55:17 PM

Not for the reasons you would like to think with your sick mind. Lol.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 5:09:26 PM
At 3/25/2015 5:06:06 AM, Composer wrote:

At 3/25/2015 1:47:15 AM, Gentorev wrote:
SOOO?
When one makes a claim it requires evidence/source!

YOU failed to support your claim with the evidence, I didn't!

Well, good for you, I was more interested in giving scriptural proof of the fact that the early Hebrew religious regulation, of transferring the sins of Israel to a scape-goat and sending it out into the wilderness to Azazel, originated from the writings of Enoch the righteous.

Genesis 5: 23; Enoch was 365 (In days---A calendar year the one year old sacrificial Lamb of God.) and had spent his life in fellowship with God when he disappeared because God had Taken him.

Hebrews 11: 5; "By faith Enoch was translated (To change from one form to another) so that he should not experience death; and he was not found, because God had Translated him.

The only man to have ascended to the ends of all time and was translated so as to never see death, and this man, plays absolutely no part in the belief of the universal church of Constantine: "The Stone that the builder's rejected, has turned out to be the most important stone of all."

The great and glorious one who, clothed and girded in fire was anointed to serve God before the body of Adam=Mankind into all eternity, the heavenly Simulacrum=blueprint, of the new species that comes from mankind (THE SON OF MAN) which is the sin offering that God has prepared for us.

Enoch was carried up in a whirlwind of fire and escorted to the tenth heaven which is called Aravoth, where the archangel Michael led Enoch to before the Lord"s face

"And I fell prone and bowed down to the Lord, and the Lord with his lips said to me: Have courage, Enoch, do not fear, arise and stand before my face into eternity.

And the archistratege. Or, "the commander of the armies of the nations, named Michael, lifted me up, and led me to before the Lord"s face. And the Lord said to his servants tempting them: Let Enoch stand before my face into eternity, and the glorious ones bowed down to the Lord, and said: Let Enoch go according to Your word.

And the Lord said to Michael: Go and take Enoch from out of his earthly garments, and anoint him with my sweet ointment, and put him into the garments of My glory. And Michael did thus, as the Lord told him. He anointed me, and dressed me, and the appearance of that ointment is more than the great light, and his ointment is like sweet dew, and its smell mild, shining like the sun"s ray, and I looked at myself, and I was like one of his glorious ones. Or one of the seven highest angels.

CHRIST= The Anointed One.

Sandalphon is an archangel in Jewish and Christian writings. Sandalphon figures prominently in the mystical literary traditions of Rabbinic Judaism and early Christianity, notably in the Midrash, Talmud, and Kabbalah.

Some of the earliest sources on Sandalphon refer to him as the prophet Elijah transfigured and elevated to angelic status. Other sources (mainly from the midrashic period) describe him as the "twin brother" of Metatron, whose human origin as Enoch was similar to the human origin of Sandalphon.[2]

Sandalphron and Metatron are post human angels, Metatron is the name that was given to Enoch after he had been translated from a body of corruptible matter into a glorious body of incorruptible light, and Sandalphron, who is erroneously thought by some to be Metatron"s twin, is in fact Elijah"s angelic name after he was carried up to stand before Enoch and was also transfigured.

Metatron is also mentioned in the Pseudepigrapha, most prominently in the Hebrew Book of Enoch (also called Third Enoch), in which his grand title, "the lesser YHVH" resurfaces. It is also believed that Enoch=Metatron was the angel "JHVH" that led the children of Israel through the 40 year wilderness.The one who said to Moses in Deuteronomy 18: 18; "I will send them a prophet like you from among their own people; I will tell him what to say, and he will tell the people all that I command. He will speak in my name, etc.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 5:20:18 PM

Because the idea in Western culture was that evil things had to look the part. Much like villains in modern fiction are often made to look the part.
You can call me Mark if you like.