Jump to topic:

Athesist Basis on moral value

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 12:20:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Okay so I'm not the brightest on this topic since I'm Christian, but I've been currious. Upon what moral code of ethics do athesists place their morals on? Note that I'm not one of those "You can't have morals without being religious" people, but I'm currious.

Please enlighten me on the subject.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 12:31:06 PM
At 3/24/2015 12:20:22 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Okay so I'm not the brightest on this topic since I'm Christian, but I've been currious. Upon what moral code of ethics do athesists place their morals on? Note that I'm not one of those "You can't have morals without being religious" people, but I'm currious.

First and foremost, there is no one 'atheist' moral code or code of ethics. Atheism is a singular attribute of an individual's personality, a lack of belief in an god or gods. One cannot lump all atheists together as a group and ask such a question honestly.

As with most people, I got my basis for morals from my parents and those adults around me when I was growing up. I was raised in a Baptist home so I received that type of religious teaching, much of which I have discarded as I have matured. Some of it was quite good and I strive to live by it today. Most prominent is the scripture that admonishes believers to 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you". That's a simple but profound rule that easily form the basis for my personal morality. If I know something is unpleasant or painful to me, I do not visit it on another person without reason.

Did I borrow from the so-called Christian worldview? In one sense, yes, but that philosophy was not confined to Jesus and Christianity. Most religions have much the same stricture in their systems as well so I see it as a nearly universally shared virtue. It is from this virtue and all its implications that I draw my personal morality. It's a matter of empathy and respect for the lives of other human beings.

Once again, this is my story and my answer. I don't claim to speak for anyone else, atheist or otherwise.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 12:33:39 PM

Since atheism is simply a lack of belief in the claims of theism, it cannot offer moral codes.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 12:34:23 PM
At 3/24/2015 12:33:39 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Since atheism is simply a lack of belief in the claims of theism, it cannot offer moral codes.

Well then, I know this might be a rediculaous question, but what do you base your moral codes on?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:05:35 PM
Curiosity is good, it makes you ask questions and if you ask the right questions you may become an atheist.
In my perception, happiness, contentment, morality, etc., is within us. When people give credit and/or responsibility for these qualities to an outside source, they give up both their individual choices AND responsibility for those choices. We are the keeper of our own conscience
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:08:21 PM
At 3/24/2015 12:34:23 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Well then, I know this might be a rediculaous question, but what do you base your moral codes on?

Logic, reason and rationale.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:08:39 PM
At 3/24/2015 1:05:35 PM, missmedic wrote:
Curiosity is good, it makes you ask questions and if you ask the right questions you may become an atheist.
In my perception, happiness, contentment, morality, etc., is within us. When people give credit and/or responsibility for these qualities to an outside source, they give up both their individual choices AND responsibility for those choices. We are the keeper of our own conscience

Ah so an individualistic type approach. Does this mean that everything that does not directly or indirectly affects us in a positive mannar meaningless?

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:09:11 PM
At 3/24/2015 1:08:21 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

No, I'm refurring to things like Utilitarianism, Nihilism, etc...

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:20:58 PM
At 3/24/2015 1:09:11 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I don't think there is just one source for basing one's morals considering there are way too many scenarios.

For example, if you were walking down a street in Austria back in the early 30's, would you consider it immoral and unethical if you witnessed me putting a bullet in the head of Hitler as he walked out of his art school to join politics? Would you make the same consideration today or would you be willing to take my place if you knew what he was going to do?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:24:10 PM
At 3/24/2015 1:20:58 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I don't think there is just one source for basing one's morals considering there are way too many scenarios.

For example, if you were walking down a street in Austria back in the early 30's, would you consider it immoral and unethical if you witnessed me putting a bullet in the head of Hitler as he walked out of his art school to join politics? Would you make the same consideration today or would you be willing to take my place if you knew what he was going to do?

True.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 1:33:41 PM
At 3/24/2015 1:24:10 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/24/2015 1:20:58 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

True.

I suspect we need to glean our morals and ethics from a number of sources, even some religious sources that offer gems of wisdom. Of course, most religious sources are merely snapshots of the times they were written, hence people were already behaving that way.

For example, we can see the changes from the OT to the NT, where the OT stated, "an eye for eye, tooth for a tooth" and then the NT stated to, "offer the other cheek". This is a complete 180 degree turnabout for moral behavior back then.