Jump to topic:

What is the bible?

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 5:33:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
OK, it's a book, or to be more accurate a collection of books on one theme written y many men over thousands of years.

But is it more than that?

Paul said, speaking of the Hebrew Scriptures: 2 Timothy 3:16-17
ASV(i) 16 Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness. 17 That the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work.

Think about that second verse. It can make you complete for every good work.

Not just for teaching and preaching, but every good work.

Peter also said: 2 Peter 1:21
ASV(i) 21 For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but men spake from God, being moved by the Holy Spirit.

To understand what that means to us we have to start by understanding what "inspiration" is.

Paul described it thus: Romans 8:16
ASV(i) 16 The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God:

Holy spirit and our spirit are closely related. Our spirit is what gives us power, energy, strength, but mental and physical, and affects our whole way of thinking.

Have you every heard someone being described as "he's in good spirits." Minutes before he may have been quite, sat thinking and then, just like in the cartoons, it's like someone switched on a light.

So it is with our spirit, and even more so when holy spirit is communication with us. It can truly be described as a "eureka moment".

Sometimes God will pant a thought in your mind, and just leave you to work on it, develop it, and that is how much of the bible was transmitted to men.

Sometimes Jehovah literally gave his prophets his exact words. You can tell where that is because you get an expression like "This is what Jehovah says". That is when Jehovah is passing his words down as he wants them repeated, written down. Otherwise he simply gives you the idea and trusts you to run with it.

Of course the same process can work in reverse, and for God's servants today does.

When we are granted holy spirit to help us n God's work, we are not told anything we didn't already know. No hoy spirit is used to do precisely what Jesus said it would be used to do. John 14:26
ASV(i) 26 But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.

If you haven't read it, and thought about it, there is nothing for holy spirit to bring back to your mind.

Hopefully that tells you something abut what I see the bible as, but to expand on that.

I see it as a record of the work to date, a report of what God has been doing, is doing and will do for humanity.

I don;t see it as a mere intellectual exercise as so many on here do see it. It isn't a collection of words, it is a collection of thoughts for which words are mere tools..

because scripture has been translated with various degrees of concern of accuracy the individual words may not be the best ones to convey the thoughts behind them, but the whole passage, read in context with the rest of scripture, will give you the true picture of what is meant.

That is why, as Paul said, we so baldy need holy spirit to guide us through it, bring back to the front of our minds things that may be buried in the back, to make connections we need to help in our understanding.

That is also why, as James said, we need to petition God for his wisdom.

1 Corinthians 2:11-16
ASV(i) 11 For who among men knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of the man, which is in him? even so the things of God none knoweth, save the Spirit of God. 12 But we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God; that we might know the things that were freely given to us of God. 13 Which things also we speak, not in words which mans wisdom teacheth, but which the Spirit teacheth; combining spiritual things with spiritual words. 14 Now the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged. 15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, and he himself is judged of no man. 16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he should instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

The first line of that passage is important, because that, since it is the spirit of God that knows the things of God, we need that spirit to understand what God wants us to take form it.

James 1:5-8
ASV(i) 5 But if any of you lacketh wisdom, let him ask of God, who giveth to all liberally and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing doubting: for he that doubteth is like the surge of the sea driven by the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive anything of the Lord; 8 a doubleminded man, unstable in all his ways.

None of us truly has the wisdom to understand the thoughts of God, but he will supply it to those who ask him in faith.

And thus, to people such as I the bible becomes so much more than a mere book. It contains, not the words of Jehovah, but the thoughts of Jehovah.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 6:58:48 AM
At 3/30/2015 5:47:53 AM, JJ50 wrote:
The Bible contains the thoughts of the authors, with no input from any deity!

Your usual negative, and completely inaccurate contribution, lol.

I know you want it to be so, but sorry truth won't change to fit in with what you want.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 7:54:15 AM
At 3/30/2015 6:58:48 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I know you want it to be so, but sorry truth won't change to fit in with what you want.

You haven't the slightest bit of verifiable proof any deity exists, let alone contributed to the Bible!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 8:01:50 AM
At 3/30/2015 7:54:15 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 3/30/2015 6:58:48 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

You haven't the slightest bit of verifiable proof any deity exists, let alone contributed to the Bible!

Oh it's there alright, if you cared, or dared, to admit it. But you don't want to know, so you won't, simple as that.

You're only on here to make a nuisance of yourself anyway, but that's OK with me because it often gives me a chance to put the truth out there anyway for others to read, lol.

You really are, simply defeating your own aims really.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 9:18:33 AM
At 3/30/2015 8:29:28 AM, JJ50 wrote:
There is NO verifiable proof a deity exits, and anyone claiming there is lies!

In fact it is those who choose to deny it who are lying, to themselves at the very least.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 9:24:56 AM
At 3/30/2015 9:18:33 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

In fact it is those who choose to deny it who are lying, to themselves at the very least.

Rubbish, you have never come up with any verifiable proof the deity exists! You might believe it does, but that is a far cry from having the evidence.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 9:31:22 AM
At 3/30/2015 9:24:56 AM, JJ50 wrote:

Rubbish, you have never come up with any verifiable proof the deity exists! You might believe it does, but that is a far cry from having the evidence.

Yes I have, you just refuse to recognise the fact that it is all around you in the creation you are a part of,.

As Jesus would say, you simply don;t have the eyes to see.

Still keep it up, the more you spread your lies the more chances you give me to put the truth out, lol.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 9:34:46 AM
At 3/30/2015 9:31:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Yes I have, you just refuse to recognise the fact that it is all around you in the creation you are a part of,.

Still keep it up, the more you spread your lies the more chances you give me to put the truth out, lol.

You don't see how crazy most of your posts are. But then if you are a JW it is par for the course!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 9:42:22 AM
At 3/30/2015 9:34:46 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 3/30/2015 9:31:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

You don't see how crazy most of your posts are. But then if you are a JW it is par for the course!

Oh I know they are crazy in the eyes of people like you, but that is because the wisdom of the world is foolishness to God and vice versa.

I would rather have the wisdom of God and look foolish than have your wisdom and be foolish.

And basically that is the difference.

I look foolish.

You are foolish.

You see it is God's judgement that matters not that of any human.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 1:00:02 PM
At 3/30/2015 5:33:07 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
OK, it's a book, or to be more accurate a collection of books on one theme written y many men over thousands of years.

But is it more than that?

Paul said, speaking of the Hebrew Scriptures: 2 Timothy 3:16-17
ASV(i) 16 Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness. 17 That the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work.

Think about that second verse. It can make you complete for every good work.

Not just for teaching and preaching, but every good work.

Peter also said: 2 Peter 1:21
ASV(i) 21 For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but men spake from God, being moved by the Holy Spirit.

To understand what that means to us we have to start by understanding what "inspiration" is.

Paul described it thus: Romans 8:16
ASV(i) 16 The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God:

Holy spirit and our spirit are closely related. Our spirit is what gives us power, energy, strength, but mental and physical, and affects our whole way of thinking.

Have you every heard someone being described as "he's in good spirits." Minutes before he may have been quite, sat thinking and then, just like in the cartoons, it's like someone switched on a light.

So it is with our spirit, and even more so when holy spirit is communication with us. It can truly be described as a "eureka moment".

Sometimes God will pant a thought in your mind, and just leave you to work on it, develop it, and that is how much of the bible was transmitted to men.

Sometimes Jehovah literally gave his prophets his exact words. You can tell where that is because you get an expression like "This is what Jehovah says". That is when Jehovah is passing his words down as he wants them repeated, written down. Otherwise he simply gives you the idea and trusts you to run with it.

Of course the same process can work in reverse, and for God's servants today does.

When we are granted holy spirit to help us n God's work, we are not told anything we didn't already know. No hoy spirit is used to do precisely what Jesus said it would be used to do. John 14:26
ASV(i) 26 But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.

If you haven't read it, and thought about it, there is nothing for holy spirit to bring back to your mind.

Hopefully that tells you something abut what I see the bible as, but to expand on that.

I see it as a record of the work to date, a report of what God has been doing, is doing and will do for humanity.

I don;t see it as a mere intellectual exercise as so many on here do see it. It isn't a collection of words, it is a collection of thoughts for which words are mere tools..

because scripture has been translated with various degrees of concern of accuracy the individual words may not be the best ones to convey the thoughts behind them, but the whole passage, read in context with the rest of scripture, will give you the true picture of what is meant.

That is why, as Paul said, we so baldy need holy spirit to guide us through it, bring back to the front of our minds things that may be buried in the back, to make connections we need to help in our understanding.

That is also why, as James said, we need to petition God for his wisdom.

1 Corinthians 2:11-16
ASV(i) 11 For who among men knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of the man, which is in him? even so the things of God none knoweth, save the Spirit of God. 12 But we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God; that we might know the things that were freely given to us of God. 13 Which things also we speak, not in words which mans wisdom teacheth, but which the Spirit teacheth; combining spiritual things with spiritual words. 14 Now the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged. 15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, and he himself is judged of no man. 16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he should instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

The first line of that passage is important, because that, since it is the spirit of God that knows the things of God, we need that spirit to understand what God wants us to take form it.

James 1:5-8
ASV(i) 5 But if any of you lacketh wisdom, let him ask of God, who giveth to all liberally and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing doubting: for he that doubteth is like the surge of the sea driven by the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive anything of the Lord; 8 a doubleminded man, unstable in all his ways.

None of us truly has the wisdom to understand the thoughts of God, but he will supply it to those who ask him in faith.

And thus, to people such as I the bible becomes so much more than a mere book. It contains, not the words of Jehovah, but the thoughts of Jehovah. : :

Antichrists have always stolen the words from God's saints to pretend they know something.

Why is it now that you're talking about the THOUGHTS OF GOD, MCB? You have been rejecting My Word the entire time I've been in this forum but now you're using My Word that was spoken to you.

You're nothing but a thief and liar, MCB.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2015 7:53:00 PM
At 3/30/2015 5:33:07 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

LOL. You don't even know what the Bible is. Hilarious.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth