Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Whats the benefit of thinking you are Sinful?

drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 12:08:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
In my set of beliefs we are all a divine manifestation of a perfect God. Each an individual subset of that larger perfection. I see people as divine in nature but often misguided in practice. The judeo, muslim, christian idea that people are sinful and that sin is somehow passed on from generation to generation (Original Sin) is simply absurd. i fee bad for the people who see themselves as defective in this way. I simply do not understand it.
RyryMase
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 12:39:40 AM
I don't understand it either and there can't be benefit, it seems it could only cause stress and anxiety.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 3:14:58 AM
At 3/31/2015 12:08:22 AM, drpiek wrote:
In my set of beliefs we are all a divine manifestation of a perfect God. Each an individual subset of that larger perfection. I see people as divine in nature but often misguided in practice. The judeo, muslim, christian idea that people are sinful and that sin is somehow passed on from generation to generation (Original Sin) is simply absurd. i fee bad for the people who see themselves as defective in this way. I simply do not understand it.

- Why am I not surprised! There is no Original Sin in Islam.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 3:31:54 AM

There is nothing perfect about the deity featured in the Bible, it is all that is evil!

Of course 'original sin' is absurd, just as the word 'sin' is very silly. 'Sin' covers stuff that no reasonable person would think wrong like homosexuality and adult sex before marriage! We all do wrong things from time to time, and should apologise to anyone we have wronged and try to make amends.
Excalibur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 6:57:03 AM

In the Christian belief it is because of human nature (sin) that we are misguided.

Ephesians 4:18 "Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:"

Who is to say what perfection is? And if you perceived something to be perfect, surely you would want guidance from it: That viewpoint is not absurd, but rather rational. To humble oneself is not to think yourself defective; to think one is perfect in their imperfection is defective, as anyone with a deranged mindset:

pedophiles,
murderers,
thieves

Can also claim flawlessness. Who of those, in your faith, is to say they are not compared to you? Though it is true that God sees all the sin the same thus we are equal; offering no real reason to find guidance, (no damnation) as it is clear your belief does not, is the real absurdity.

If sin had no beginning (original sin), and cannot be passed down as you believe, then how can one claim what another does is evil (sin), as it apparently does not exist? Each person would, theoretically, be constructing their own moral values. If we all receive the Kingdom of God while creating our own morals, who then would not follow human nature rather than subjecting themselves?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 7:29:36 AM
At 3/31/2015 3:14:58 AM, Yassine wrote:

But you are unworthy of your god.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 7:33:11 AM
At 3/31/2015 6:57:03 AM, Excalibur wrote:

In the Christian belief it is because of human nature (sin) that we are misguided.

Ephesians 4:18 "Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:"

Who is to say what perfection is? And if you perceived something to be perfect, surely you would want guidance from it: That viewpoint is not absurd, but rather rational. To humble oneself is not to think yourself defective; to think one is perfect in their imperfection is defective, as anyone with a deranged mindset:

pedophiles,
murderers,
thieves

Can also claim flawlessness. Who of those, in your faith, is to say they are not compared to you? Though it is true that God sees all the sin the same thus we are equal; offering no real reason to find guidance, (no damnation) as it is clear your belief does not, is the real absurdity.

If sin had no beginning (original sin), and cannot be passed down as you believe, then how can one claim what another does is evil (sin), as it apparently does not exist? Each person would, theoretically, be constructing their own moral values. If we all receive the Kingdom of God while creating our own morals, who then would not follow human nature rather than subjecting themselves?

It's much easier to control those you wish to control if you can convince them that they are worthless without the controller and his intermediaries.
Especially if the controller is fictional.
Excalibur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 7:49:25 AM
At 3/31/2015 7:33:11 AM, bulproof wrote:
It's much easier to control those you wish to control if you can convince them that they are worthless without the controller and his intermediaries.

What is the control?

Doing unto others as yourself,
Loving your neighbor,
Feeding the poor,
Helping the sick,
Keeping one self free from addiction,
or from not robbing or stabbing at will?

To which of those things are you referring? If, as the author perceives, there is no damnation, what would stop me from preforming the latter and neglecting the former? Prison? I would gladly rob a bank if there was no punishment for my sin in case I was shot by police during the attempt, as the chance that I might have to do 5-7 years in a prison is no comparison to the chance that I might make out with a retirement on a Mexican shoreline fund.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 7:52:47 AM
In my set of beliefs we are all a divine manifestation of a perfect God. Each an individual subset of that larger perfection. I see people as divine in nature but often misguided in practice. The judeo, muslim, christian idea that people are sinful and that sin is somehow passed on from generation to generation (Original Sin) is simply absurd. i fee bad for the people who see themselves as defective in this way. I simply do not understand it. : :

Believe what was given to you to believe in. It's impossible for you to change the thoughts that our Creator put in your mind.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 7:55:56 AM
At 3/31/2015 7:49:25 AM, Excalibur wrote:

What is the control?

Loving your neighbor,
Feeding the poor,
Helping the sick,

To which of those things are you referring? If, as the author perceives, there is no damnation, what would stop me from preforming the latter and neglecting the former? Prison? I would gladly rob a bank if there was no punishment for my sin in case I was shot by police during the attempt, as the chance that I might have to do 5-7 years in a prison is no comparison to the chance that I might make out with a retirement on a Mexican shoreline fund.

Thank you for proving yet again that christian morality is based solely on the fear of punishment, there is no inherent goodness or love for your fellow man, you are just sh1t scared of your god.
We atheists have far higher standards than that, in fact we have higher moral values than your infanticidal god.
You will never know that life is for living.
Excalibur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:02:38 AM
At 3/31/2015 7:55:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
Thank you for proving yet again that christian morality is based solely on the fear of punishment, there is no inherent goodness or love for your fellow man, you are just sh1t scared of your god.
We atheists have far higher standards than that, in fact we have higher moral values than your infanticidal god.

*sigh*
You missed the point entirely. We either do good things or or not do bad things not because of the punishment, we do it for the salvation. Hell does not keep me from robbing the bank. Not being able to make it to heaven does.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:05:12 AM
Original Sin is a Pauline Christian idea and only took hold of Christianity because it was the Age of Pisces and martyrdom, suffering, and sinful nature corrected by believing Jesus purified everyone by dying(????) hideously which actually was a popular pagan Mystery Religion idea (which Christianity really is--a Mystery Religion--a Jewish Egyptian Mystery Religion that spoke Greek. But Paul had his day and aimed his "Christianity" at Rome while us Gnostics kept the original Spirit of Truth alive. Paulist traded truth for "belief" meaning you had to believe The Story of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection to be considered a "Christian". Which is absurd as Christianity, real Christianity, is a Personal Choice, nobody else' business but yours and God's. Paul made it a Church Choice and Church rules applied to being called a "Christian". This still is the case as Pauline Christians don't recognize any other Christians even though to us Gnostic Christians, Paul is a complete sell out to Rome and ruined traditional Christianity by making it a slave to secular or religious governors without morality. Gnostics never sold out and thus were exiled out of the Roman Empire and many fled to Egypt's deserts to escape Pauline Christian persecution and death. Roman Catholics killed over a 100,000 Gnostic Christians in France and the Inquisition was begun in order to root out Gnosticism.

We have to wait now for the body of Pauline Christianity to die as it's head has been removed already by God's team of archeologists and historians exposing religious propaganda by revealing historical truth, e.g. the lost Gnostic Gospels have been resurrected now, and the whole Bible itself has been debunked by Israeli archeologists exposing the Hebrew authors as frauds creating myths of origin that never occurred, e.g. "Moses and the Exodus" which was the successful cover up of the real history of Israelites kicked out of Egypt along with the Hyksos invaders from Canaan. This humiliation was turned backwards in the Moses and Exodus Story to make Israelites look good and beating Egypt's pharaoh. These Bible stories being revealed as religious political propaganda are what has intellectually destroyed any belief rooted in believing the Bible events really occurred. Less smart people, all the fundamentalist Abrahamic believers like our Muhammadans will fight against historical truth that destroyed their worship of the Bible's fictitious characters, like Moses. The fundies need to believe the Bible events were real. But they weren't. And you cannot derive spiritual authority from believing in tall tales no matter how old they are or how many gullible believers believe in them. It's believing in Peter Pan and Neverland.

I teach Celestial Torah Christianity which is a modern yet ancient astrologically based religious belief system that uses the Bible and other ancient religious texts to show how God has always been three steps ahead of humankind and knowing one day the Abrahamic religious mythologies would be exposed as such, God is reaffirming the Celestial Torah Sign Language "written permanently in the movements of stars and planets in the heavens above. Men can't get their hands on those movements and their symbolic meanings haven't really changed all that much in thousands of years. They are still PURE of any religious group's ability to "own" them. Which makes Celestial Torah Christianity just about the only Way of believing in God without believing in man-made myths and man's political agendas hidden within mass religious movements, e.g. Muhammad's craziness to rule the world his way instead of God's Way: Sharia Law vs Unity in Diversity.

Our world will only see peace on earth, goodwill to all, when the Abrahamic religions are history and believers in God are free to establish their Personal Religious Pathways to God, not paths imposed upon them by force or traditions never scrutinized for truth or justice. Talk to me when you're ready to learn about Celestial Torah Christianity and the amazing Humanitarian Archetype being unfolded within the Messianic tradition that is far older than Judaism, the foundational Abrahamic religion Pauline Christians and Muhammadans used for their versions of the oft contradictory "Word(s) of God".
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:05:39 AM

What is the control?

Loving your neighbor,
Feeding the poor,
Helping the sick,

You will never know that life is for living.: :

"You will never know that life is for living"

Only God can give a man this kind of wisdom. This wisdom isn't known by most religious people who believe they have to practice being a good person by doing all the right things that other good people told them to do. All they had to do was enjoy life and let our Creator be concerned with His creation.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:07:05 AM
At 3/31/2015 8:02:38 AM, Excalibur wrote:

*sigh*
You missed the point entirely. We either do good things or or not do bad things not because of the punishment, we do it for the salvation. Hell does not keep me from robbing the bank. Not being able to make it to heaven does.
Same sh1t sherlock.
You're sh1t frightened of your god as he commands.
You already told us what stops you from robbing the bank
I would gladly rob a bank if there was no punishment for my sin in case I was shot by police during the attempt,

Tell your lies to someone stupid enough to believe them.
Excalibur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:11:06 AM
At 3/31/2015 8:07:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
Same sh1t sherlock.
I would gladly rob a bank if there was no punishment for my sin in case I was shot by police during the attempt,

Not the same. You are trying to make heaven into what it is not. It is not a place to hide or escape from hell. It is a place for eternal rest.

You are also completely misunderstanding the post. The author implies that only heaven exist, not hell. To make that claim that I would not want to work for my retirement fund but rather take it, but still make heaven, does not mean I am afraid of hell, as how could I be afraid of something that does not exist?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:16:48 AM
At 3/31/2015 8:11:06 AM, Excalibur wrote:
At 3/31/2015 8:07:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
Same sh1t sherlock.

Not the same. You are trying to make heaven into what it is not. It is not a place to hide or escape from hell. It is a place for eternal rest.

You are also completely misunderstanding the post. The author implies that only heaven exist, not hell. To make that claim that I would not want to work for my retirement fund but rather take it, but still make heaven, does not mean I am afraid of hell, as how could I be afraid of something that does not exist?

Allegedly 25yrs old and still telling kindergarten playground lies, that's what religion does to ya.
Come back when you've grown up, although I'm bettin' that won't happen.
Make sure you avoid your punishment little boy.
Excalibur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:25:15 AM
At 3/31/2015 8:16:48 AM, bulproof wrote:
Allegedly 25yrs old and still telling kindergarten playground lies, that's what religion does to ya.

What does religion do but show you how God loves humanity so much that He is willing to give it everlasting life by offering salvation? You should not fear hell. Hell should fear you, as God, if you allow Him, stands on your side.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:28:23 AM
At 3/31/2015 8:25:15 AM, Excalibur wrote:
At 3/31/2015 8:16:48 AM, bulproof wrote:

What does religion do but show you how God loves humanity so much that He is willing to give it everlasting life by offering salvation? You should not fear hell. Hell should fear you, as God, if you allow Him, stands on your side.
So now you want to claim that infanticide, genocide and mass rape are demonstrations of LOVE?
Please keep your unholy love to yourself.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 9:09:01 AM
At 3/31/2015 6:57:03 AM, Excalibur wrote:

pedophiles,
murderers,
thieves

I guess thats the big difference, I do not think our nature is sinful, I see it as divine at it's root. It is wrong to go against our divine nature.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 12:06:22 PM
At 3/31/2015 7:29:36 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 3/31/2015 3:14:58 AM, Yassine wrote:

But you are unworthy of your god.

- ? ? ? ! ! !
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 1:03:43 PM

What is the control?

Loving your neighbor,
Feeding the poor,
Helping the sick,

To which of those things are you referring? If, as the author perceives, there is no damnation, what would stop me from preforming the latter and neglecting the former? Prison? I would gladly rob a bank if there was no punishment for my sin

Which only proves that you are a danger to society, since it's only a religious myth that keeps you in check.

Really? Are you that foolish?

in case I was shot by police during the attempt, as the chance that I might have to do 5-7 years in a prison is no comparison to the chance that I might make out with a retirement on a Mexican shoreline fund.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 1:35:44 PM

You don't understand it because you have the wrong idea about it. We actually aren't supposed to be thinking we are sinful, we are supposed to be aware of the fact that we are capable of sin however this is not the focus of Christianity, I'm sorry you were fed that image but it is untrue.
Pure thinking and controlling the mind and it's content is a part of the spiritual lifestyle not polluting it, as a Christian I don't go around thinking I'm sinful but rather thinking what can be overcome, how can I stretch myself, what am I willing to do and what am I willing to let God do in me.
God is a refiner, continually challenging my spirit and my mind not condemning it.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 2:04:28 PM

What is the control?

Loving your neighbor,
Feeding the poor,
Helping the sick,

These might be valid arguments, if they had their origins in christianity. They obviously did not.

You seem to confuse "sin" with "crime," based on what I can only presume to be a secular set of laws. While law is an human attempt to legislate morality, you are not talking about sin, when you talk about bank robbery. You are talking about crime. The term "sin" only has any substantive significance within the context of a religious framework...
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 2:14:36 PM

What is the benefit for knowing the truth? You could make wiser decisions.

I think it is not important to constantly think "you are sinner", it is more reasonable to think what it means and is there something that you could do to be better.

In this case I think it would be good to understand what sin means. It can mean act against the Law, or rejecting God or living apart from God.

If you have done something against law, it is good to know, because then you could become better.

If you have rejected God, or live apart from God, it is good to know, because then you could do something for that, if you want.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 2:26:03 PM
The judeo, muslim, christian idea that people are sinful and that sin is somehow passed on from generation to generation (Original Sin) is simply absurd.

Not at all, Dr P. Doctrinal monotheism needs to view people as inherently sick; else its belligerent paternalism would be seen as oppressive, corrupt and evil instead of the peaceful, loving, tolerant ideal it really is.

You're right that people don't need to view themselves as born sick -- in fact, they might be happier and more empowered if they didn't! But bigoted, ignorant people need a bigoted, ignorant society to belong to, and that means YOU must be taught to loathe yourself.

So please, stop being so selfish and get in line! If you start looking too happy and liberated, you'll need to be demonised and persecuted before everyone wants the same.
Excalibur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:38:55 PM
At 3/31/2015 1:03:43 PM, dhardage wrote:
Which only proves that you are a danger to society, since it's only a religious myth that keeps you in check.

Anyone who is "in check" does so for a specific reason. Whether it be:

To be accepted by society
The law
Afraid of danger
To feel better about themselves

Religion is just one of many.
Excalibur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 8:39:41 PM
At 3/31/2015 2:04:28 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:
You seem to confuse "sin" with "crime," based on what I can only presume to be a secular set of laws. While law is an human attempt to legislate morality, you are not talking about sin, when you talk about bank robbery. You are talking about crime. The term "sin" only has any substantive significance within the context of a religious framework...

"Though shalt not steal."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 9:49:25 PM
At 3/31/2015 8:39:41 PM, Excalibur wrote:
At 3/31/2015 2:04:28 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:

"Though shalt not steal." : :

Christians have been stealing the Word that us saints testify to and using it for their selfish purposes.

Christians worship a god ( Jesus ) other than our Creator, "Thou shalt not have any other gods before me".

Christians covet they neighbors land and went to the America's to steal the land from the natives and their gold, silver and other materials to build their false gods with.

Christians reject and even kill other people who don't submit to their false gospels and water baptism.

Christians take they name of God in vain by practicing religion and using the name, "God" without knowing our true Creator who is totally invisible to His creation.

Christians build false gods with their human hands.

Christians lie when interpreting the prophecies of God.

Before you try take the speck out of your neighbors eye, you better get the log out of your own eye.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 8:15:21 AM
At 3/31/2015 8:38:55 PM, Excalibur wrote:
At 3/31/2015 1:03:43 PM, dhardage wrote:

Anyone who is "in check" does so for a specific reason. Whether it be:

To be accepted by society
The law
Afraid of danger
To feel better about themselves

Religion is just one of many.

Or they are advanced enough emotionally to realize that harming others is a bad thing and choose not to do it. On needn't have a punitive response in mind to know an act is not a good thing to do. The fact you say you do makes you dangerous, if that statement was in fact the truth. I personally don't think it was. I believe you're a better person than that and would not go on a bloody rampage if you didn't have your god telling you it was wrong.