Jump to topic:

How "old" is the earth?

Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 9:31:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
From what I have read, even so called science can't figure out "how old" the earth is.

Some say that the earth is newer then others that say that the earth is much older.

It seems that when we do the total scientific maths that the dinosaurs are much older then the earth.

So maybe the earth was created by the dinosaur God.

In the beginning was the dinosaurs, and the dinosaurs said let us become the coal of the earth with the flowers and the trees and it was good as then from another dimension where mankind always existed as invisible vibrations, mankind made their existence known as they raped the earth and anything else that they could try and destroy and pollute in the name of earthly riches and worldly fame.

Out of the vomit of mankind came forth the One Truth that was always there, hidden, rejected, denied and hated by the superstitious children of mankind.

This One Truth that was always there and always will be teases the confused minds of the many superstitious making them feel judged, guilty and childish.

So what do those of the many confused do?

They try and confuse others more so then they are confused as that will make them less confused.

Sounds like a kids game to me.

So if the dinosaurs and a boy scout camp fire are carbon dated at billions of years ago and the earth is dated at millions or less. Then that would prove that the dinosaurs and the boy scouts came before the earth where the EVIL invisible demons live.

I can sorta kinds understand why those of the many like their make believe and pretend. Fantasy and fiction is so easy to dream up, but the downside is that Truth and Reality get in the Way of the deceptions and lies called good and must be crucified and disposed of so that the FUN can go on..

Now if I could only get myself to have blind faith and be saved from the evils of being a grown up.

Any ideas from the pros?

Now if this post is considered "flame bait" then that just proves that children run things, as any mature grown adult wouldn't get upset over the idea that growing up and maturing in thought and responsibility was a GOOD thing.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 9:38:58 AM
From what you've read? I can only advise you read more extensively and carefully, in that case. The scientific literature is basically unanimous on it and has plenty of evidence supporting that consensus.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 9:55:25 AM
I have read over and through the many scientific cheeze theories just as I have read the religious side of the coin.

The science of science is just as messed up as the religion of religion.

It's ALL superstitious based.

It's all about what people choose to believe and not believe.

I won't "argue" with the day dreaming BIG heads anymore then I would argue with the religious fanatics.

It is much the same as arguing with those that choose to believe in santa and such popular concepts.

Was just pointing out that no one can know how old the earth or anything else is as TIME is mostly a ILLUSION.

HOW do you try and support illusions? With more and better scientific illusions and better more faithful religious convictions and popular money making church doctrines.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 10:00:29 AM
Have you watched Cosmos? Tyson explains how we know the age of the Earth in episode 7. Science DOES have an answer.
http://www.techtimes.com...
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 10:04:17 AM
At 4/1/2015 9:31:19 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
From what I have read, even so called science can't figure out "how old" the earth is.

Some say that the earth is newer then others that say that the earth is much older.

It seems that when we do the total scientific maths that the dinosaurs are much older then the earth.

In the beginning was the dinosaurs, and the dinosaurs said let us become the coal of the earth with the flowers and the trees and it was good as then from another dimension where mankind always existed as invisible vibrations, mankind made their existence known as they raped the earth and anything else that they could try and destroy and pollute in the name of earthly riches and worldly fame.

Out of the vomit of mankind came forth the One Truth that was always there, hidden, rejected, denied and hated by the superstitious children of mankind.

This One Truth that was always there and always will be teases the confused minds of the many superstitious making them feel judged, guilty and childish.

They try and confuse others more so then they are confused as that will make them less confused.

So if the dinosaurs and a boy scout camp fire are carbon dated at billions of years ago and the earth is dated at millions or less. Then that would prove that the dinosaurs and the boy scouts came before the earth where the EVIL invisible demons live.

I can sorta kinds understand why those of the many like their make believe and pretend. Fantasy and fiction is so easy to dream up, but the downside is that Truth and Reality get in the Way of the deceptions and lies called good and must be crucified and disposed of so that the FUN can go on..

Now if I could only get myself to have blind faith and be saved from the evils of being a grown up.

Any ideas from the pros?

Now if this post is considered "flame bait" then that just proves that children run things, as any mature grown adult wouldn't get upset over the idea that growing up and maturing in thought and responsibility was a GOOD thing. : :

If you knew Me, you would understand that the earth only exists because it is observed by God's created beings. There is no age to the earth because it's only an illusion that isn't real. The universe is all created in the Mind of our Creator before He spoke it all into existence as a virtual reality called Eternal Life.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 10:41:35 AM
At 4/1/2015 10:01:57 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
*crams face full of shrooms*

Yeaaaaah man, like, totally.

What he said ^
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 2:29:06 AM
When people cannot find a date for the beginning of something they just make one up.
When people do not know how to measure something they make up a new measuring device or a new way of measuring and weighing something and compare all their measurements with the device. They simply ignore the fact that all their devices are subject to human imaginations and perceptions.

A day and a thousand years are all the same in the big picture of eternity where time is irrelevant due to being an illusion created by movement.
Some things in life simply have no beginning or end. They are eternal. Eternal things cannot be measured or weighed due to being infinite.

Sadly most people cannot comprehend the concept of eternity and infinity. They are stuck in the rut of finite thinking patterns where they seem to believe that all things must have a beginning and end. They do not seem to want to accept that some things can be eternal, self sustaining, self sufficient and have always existed.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 2:49:49 AM

When one facepalm is not enough.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 5:50:18 AM
About 4.6 billion years according to the best scientific data that has been gathered to this point in time.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 8:25:04 AM
At 4/2/2015 5:50:18 AM, Gentorev wrote:
About 4.6 billion years according to the best scientific data that has been gathered to this point in time. : :

Why don't you listen to My Voice and obey ALL My commandments to learn how old the earth is?
Molzahn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 8:56:54 AM
Considering modern advancements with particle collision (CERN) are making us question the Big Bang and the age of the universe, I can understand the concern that perhaps our current estimation of the age of the Earth is liable to be incorrect.

There are current theories which best fit current and help interpolate to predict new data. Are any of these correct? Will any theory hold true centuries down the road? Who knows. It is perfectly acceptable to be skeptical especially if it leads to constructive scrutiny and re-evaluation.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:15:31 AM
At 4/2/2015 8:25:04 AM, bornofgod wrote:
About 4.6 billion years according to the best scientific data that has been gathered to this point in time. : :

Why don't you listen to My Voice and obey ALL My commandments to learn how old the earth is?

LOL!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:55:41 AM
At 4/2/2015 9:15:31 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 4/2/2015 8:25:04 AM, bornofgod wrote:

LOL! : :

You will remain in the dark about how everything was created. None of God's people knows how we were created but if you listen to His Voice and obey ALL His commandments. you will be told how. If you believe His story about how He created you, then you will understand Him. If you reject His story, then you won't understand Him.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:56:17 AM
At 4/2/2015 8:56:54 AM, Molzahn wrote:
Considering modern advancements with particle collision (CERN) are making us question the Big Bang and the age of the universe, I can understand the concern that perhaps our current estimation of the age of the Earth is liable to be incorrect.

There are current theories which best fit current and help interpolate to predict new data. Are any of these correct? Will any theory hold true centuries down the road? Who knows. It is perfectly acceptable to be skeptical especially if it leads to constructive scrutiny and re-evaluation.

We must accept those theories, which all the available data that has been accumulated by man up until this point in time, as being correct according to that data. As new evidence is discovered these theories will continue to evolve. ,

I believe that one of the greatest losses ever suffered by humanity occurred about 390 AD, when Theophilos, the Bishop of Alexandria, an anti-science fanatic, ordered one of the destructions of one of the Seven Wonders of the World. The great library in which one of the most comprehensive collections of the accumulated knowledge of man had been gathered, with departments on Astronomy, Astrology, History, Mathematics, Medicine, poetry and all the arts, etc, etc.

This most evil action, which was an attempt to stop the truth of God from being known, was the introduction to one of the darkest ages of man.

Afraid of the terrible persecution by the universal church against any and all who would indulge in the Pagan practice of the scientific study into the workings of the universe, which results of that unholy act of heresy challenged the authority of the church and brought into disrepute their infallible sacred teachings, such as, the fact that their flat earth which was the centre around which revolved the entire universe that was created only some ten thousand years ago and was created in six literal 24 hour days etc.

It was only when he was on his death- bed that Nicolaus Copernicus dared to publish his sun-centred model of the universe, and Galileo Galilei, who was constantly in conflict with the church, skilfully arguing with the church authorities for Copernicus views, finally died under house arrest as a prisoner of the Inquisition.

In those days, there were they who rejected Copernicus' theory out of hand, remaining true to the sun centred model of the universe, then there were the sceptics who, like many on this forum, refused to accept either theory, but having nothing constructive to add one way or another. Then there were those like Galileo Galilei, who accepted his theory as the best model according to the accumulated data of that time.

These people took Copernicus' theory and ran with it, and it has continued to evolve to this day, growing on all the new evidence that is being gathered each and every day. There can be no absolute truth, until the entire boundless and eternal Cosmos, with its infinite number of universes that exist in space-time, is understood, which will be never. The only truth that we have today, is the truth that the evidence of today proves to be true in this day.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 10:09:21 AM
At 4/2/2015 8:56:54 AM, Molzahn wrote:
Considering modern advancements with particle collision (CERN) are making us question the Big Bang and the age of the universe, ...

Really? I would be very interested if you could cite something I could read on this, because it is news to me.

I can understand the concern that perhaps our current estimation of the age of the Earth is liable to be incorrect.

Do you have a source please?

There are current theories which best fit current and help interpolate to predict new data. Are any of these correct?

They fit all the current evidence, so yes they are correct. That's what a correct theory is - one which matches observations and makes testable predictions.

Will any theory hold true centuries down the road? Who knows. It is perfectly acceptable to be skeptical especially if it leads to constructive scrutiny and re-evaluation.

It is perfectly acceptable to be skeptical if there are reasons for skepticism. You seem to be saying that we should be skeptical about everything regardless. Do you apply that to every facet of your life?
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 1:41:00 PM
WHY does it really matter "How old the earth is?"

So that science and religion can figure out a expiration date?
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 1:47:14 PM
Thought of this after I posted that.

It seems that science and religion are paying more attention to the expiration date of the container more so then what is contained in it.

A bit like trying to figure out what someone ate by scientific examination of the turd or praying to the turd to enlighten you.

I myself would just ask the turn layer what they ate.

What came first?
The human or the turd with a brain?
Molzahn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 2:07:42 PM
Considering modern advancements with particle collision (CERN) are making us question the Big Bang and the age of the universe, ...
Really? I would be very interested if you could cite something I could read on this, because it is news to me.
Will any theory hold true centuries down the road? Who knows. It is perfectly acceptable to be skeptical especially if it leads to constructive scrutiny and re-evaluation.
It is perfectly acceptable to be skeptical if there are reasons for skepticism. You seem to be saying that we should be skeptical about everything regardless. Do you apply that to every facet of your life?

Some links are difficult to find because of that show with the same name, but the LHC is firing back up after a refit, here's a link. I'll see if I can find something a little better than a newspaper article later: http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

There are certainly different flavours of skepticism. Just as much as our solar system isn't actually heliocentric and the Bohr-Rutherford atomic model isn't quite right, there is still a certain level of utility we can appreciate and put to work from obsolete models. That said, we can still be skeptical of whether we've reached the final answer about how something works or how old something is, etc.

Are we in the Matrix and dinosaur bones were just programmed into the ground a few decades ago? Could be. The only thing stopping us from throwing out our current ideas in favour of fantasy is the limited utility we derive from them. But not everyone is a palaeontologist or geologist, which is why you find people that do completely discard current theories (they offer them no personal utility). We could suddenly discover that we are actually in the Matrix and suddenly that concept might offer superior conceptual utility over our current theories. Maybe some people are just gambling in favour of how useful they believe their ideas will be (or how useless other ideas might be).

One of the largest hurdles is when there is money involved with something; politics follow and truth often becomes the first casualty. The fact that some people are skeptical about the age of the Earth, or climate change doesn't surprise me and frankly I think a bit of cultural heterogeneity is a great thing. It forces more research and better education to get the message across... and sometimes the message changes along the way when new rocks are unturned.

Epistemological pluralism is the other route you can take if you're uncertain about something and skepticism isn't your cup of tea.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 5:19:49 PM
At 4/2/2015 1:47:14 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
Thought of this after I posted that.

It seems that science and religion are paying more attention to the expiration date of the container more so then what is contained in it.

The OP is about how old the earth is and not when it is going to expire. You should have phrased it better if you wanted to know what was in the container or its expiration date.

A bit like trying to figure out what someone ate by scientific examination of the turd or praying to the turd to enlighten you.

Science would take the stomach contents rather than wait for the turd. Obviously science is not your strong subject. Turd art looks more like your speciality.

I myself would just ask the turn layer what they ate.

Not sure what you were trying to say here.

What came first?
The human or the turd with a brain?
Adam the first human came first. The turds with a brain followed. The turds then dropped the brain and continued. Now you want to trace your path back and wondering how far back you have to go and hence your question. How old is the earth?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 5:43:10 PM

Any ideas from the pros?

Now if this post is considered "flame bait" then that just proves that children run things, as any mature grown adult wouldn't get upset over the idea that growing up and maturing in thought and responsibility was a GOOD thing.

Does it actually matter?

The important thing is that it is here, and over the millennia has withstood everything but man, since we are now slowly or maybe not so slowly destroying its ability to support life.

Just as well the creator is going to step in to stop us but will you be part of the solution or stay part of the problem?

Because the problem will be completely done away with, along with all those who cling to the things causing it.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:12:12 PM
At 4/2/2015 2:07:42 PM, Molzahn wrote:

Some links are difficult to find because of that show with the same name, but the LHC is firing back up after a refit, here's a link. I'll see if I can find something a little better than a newspaper article later: http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Thank you. I was hoping you had something more rigorous than (informed) speculation about what the LHC might find. I don't see anything there that questions the current estimate for the age of the universe, where 'age' is reckoned from Planck time onwards. What 'preceded' Planck time has always been a thorny problem. If the LHC experimentation with miniature black holes sheds some light on that (pun intended), that would be awesome. However, I don't see that changing anything about our understanding of the evolution of the universe from the Big Bang onwards. That there might not have been any real 'bang' has always been a possibility - in fact, the accepted paradigm by many cosmologists.

There are certainly different flavours of skepticism. Just as much as our solar system isn't actually heliocentric and the Bohr-Rutherford atomic model isn't quite right, there is still a certain level of utility we can appreciate and put to work from obsolete models. That said, we can still be skeptical of whether we've reached the final answer about how something works or how old something is, etc.

Are we in the Matrix and dinosaur bones were just programmed into the ground a few decades ago? Could be. The only thing stopping us from throwing out our current ideas in favour of fantasy is the limited utility we derive from them. But not everyone is a palaeontologist or geologist, which is why you find people that do completely discard current theories (they offer them no personal utility). We could suddenly discover that we are actually in the Matrix and suddenly that concept might offer superior conceptual utility over our current theories. Maybe some people are just gambling in favour of how useful they believe their ideas will be (or how useless other ideas might be).

I don't disagree in principle. Having an open mind is a good thing. I was just making the point that skepticism without some basis for being skeptical comes across as more like denialism. We could be in the Matrix or we could subscribe to Last Thursdayism. Neither of these extreme philosophical skepticism positions are useful though.

One of the largest hurdles is when there is money involved with something; politics follow and truth often becomes the first casualty. The fact that some people are skeptical about the age of the Earth, or climate change doesn't surprise me and frankly I think a bit of cultural heterogeneity is a great thing. It forces more research and better education to get the message across... and sometimes the message changes along the way when new rocks are unturned.

As I said, healthy skepticism is a good thing. When it becomes extreme and turns into denialism, that is when I have a problem.

Epistemological pluralism is the other route you can take if you're uncertain about something and skepticism isn't your cup of tea.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2015 9:29:26 PM
At 4/2/2015 1:41:00 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:

Well it must matter to you, Dumb, Dumb, otherwise you would not have asked the question in the first place.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 4:21:04 AM
At 4/2/2015 9:29:26 PM, Gentorev wrote:

Well it must matter to you, Dumb, Dumb, otherwise you would not have asked the question in the first place.

That doesn't make sense.

It was me that asked why it matters.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 4:30:27 AM

You just confused everyone by including my question without making it known it was me who asked it.

However, to answer your point, the earth, and humanity, don't have an expiry date. As scripture says the earth will stand forever, with humanity living on it.

Ecclesiastes 1:4
ASV(i) 4 One generation goeth, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth for ever.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 5:41:59 AM
How long is a piece of string?

The religious answer would be that it was as long as God wanted it to be and you just have to have faith and conviction that God knows how long a piece of string is and if you know God, then you will learn how long the piece of string is when you meet up with God at some future time that is soon. Might be around noon. Then again it might not, Just need faith. Cause you gotta have faith, as if you don't have faith you have nothing and you will never learn how long a piece of string is.

Want the scientific view point? I ask as it's a whole lot longer as science don't have invisible magic Gods and such for their made up stuff so they have to do like the professor from Gilligan's Island and use 10 words for every regular word that a everyday person would use. Science does their deceptions and lies called good in a scientific way that creates the same circle of confusion only that it is longer. Science still doesn't know how long the piece of string is or even if such a piece of string exists for sure as it's mostly based on make believe and pretend just as the religious nonsense is.

What does my teasing have to do with anything?

Just pointing out that most people would rather chase and believe in make believe and pretend then seek the Truth that would set them free from the deceptions and lies called good that is normal everyday ?life? for most.

I myself choose wisely in that I would rather LIVE in the Reality and Truth that most hate and reject then argue over old bones and peter pan land.

That makes me feel a bit like rejoicing in the Lord.I found the Lord, oh I found the Lord

I was looking for crawdads and I found the Lord

Give me that old time religion, give me that old time religion, give me that old time religion as it's old enough for me

EE the most overly wonderful and then some

Amen