Jump to topic:

How does Christianity base itself?

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 7:06:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
By saying the OT is an outdated piece of sh*t, and then backpedalling and saying some parts like the 10 commandments and homosexuality is wrong is a-okay.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 8:39:09 AM
At 7/25/2010 6:58:32 AM, acritic wrote:
How does Christianity face the fact that in the OT it says that the laws given weren't meant to be replaced?

Oh the Old Testament was for the JEWS... we don't need to pay attention to it at all. We just like some parts of it...
sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 11:35:34 AM
At 7/25/2010 8:39:09 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
How does Christianity face the fact that in the OT it says that the laws given weren't meant to be replaced?

Oh the Old Testament was for the JEWS... we don't need to pay attention to it at all. We just like some parts of it...

who is we I thought you were atheist.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 11:45:45 AM
At 7/25/2010 7:33:20 AM, acritic wrote:
A more detailed and logical response please.

Christians take parts of the OT, but leave some parts out, which is hypocritical. However, they don't think it's hypocritical for some reason. Ask a Christian.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 11:48:13 AM
At 7/25/2010 11:35:34 AM, sal wrote:
At 7/25/2010 8:39:09 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

who is we I thought you were atheist.

He's making fun of it. Your prolly new here, so I'll just tell you, get used to it.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 2:31:07 PM
At 7/25/2010 7:06:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
By saying the OT is an outdated piece of sh*t, and then backpedalling and saying some parts like the 10 commandments and homosexuality is wrong is a-okay.

Is that what we say, now? Hmm....
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 2:36:41 PM
At 7/25/2010 2:31:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Some do.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 2:48:16 PM

replace outdated piece of sh*t with "product of its time" or "embedded within an even further inferior culture" or simply "a primitive corruption of true christian ethics"; replace backpedalling with cherry-picking based on modern values. and then yes.... thats pretty much what christians say :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:17:21 PM
At 7/25/2010 2:48:16 PM, belle wrote:

replace outdated piece of sh*t with "product of its time" or "embedded within an even further inferior culture" or simply "a primitive corruption of true christian ethics"; replace backpedalling with cherry-picking based on modern values. and then yes.... thats pretty much what christians say :P

Never have heard any Christians say or imply any of that except the first one. This makes me wonder what kind of Christians you guys interact with.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:21:11 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:17:21 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Never have heard any Christians say or imply any of that except the first one. This makes me wonder what kind of Christians you guys interact with.

Come on, you know that most Christians, including yourself say the OT is irrelevant and replaced by the NT. If you still believe the OT, then go outside on Sunday and stone your neighbor to death for mowing the lawn.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:26:04 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:21:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/25/2010 3:17:21 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Come on, you know that most Christians, including yourself say the OT is irrelevant and replaced by the NT. If you still believe the OT, then go outside on Sunday and stone your neighbor to death for mowing the lawn.

I'm pretty sure you're either lying, severely ignorant, or have massive amnesia if you think I think the OT is "irrelevant". You know - since we ALREADY have had an exchange on this and the "death penalty" laws in the OT.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:29:00 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:26:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're either lying, severely ignorant, or have massive amnesia if you think I think the OT is "irrelevant".

You don't follow any of the OT laws. That's my point.

You know - since we ALREADY have had an exchange on this and the "death penalty" laws in the OT.

And we didn't get anywhere. I didn't understand your explanation and still don't.

So put it simply, why are the 10 Commandments still to be followed, but not the rest of the OT laws.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:31:46 PM
I have a c/p for the trinity and Problem of evil but now it looks like I have one of Christian doctrine too.

Jesus changed rules notably the majority of Mosaic Law, it's a major biblical contradiction. If you know the story of the Crucifixion and Parsees, this is the main reason as to why he was killed. The ministry of Jesus is very different of the Law and codes of Moses, David and Isaiah. The simple fact is because Jesus is GOD, the messiah, his word overrules previous sayings by Prophets or Apostles.

Why do we allow gentiles to be Christian, eat pork, not kill? Because Jesus said so. It's really that simple.

Anything in the four cannon Gospels overrules everything else in the Bible. Anything in one Gospel overrules another Gospel given the subject Gospel has the message recited or held to greater esteem.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:36:41 PM
This is the distinction 'skeptics' don't get. There's a difference between lesser regard and irrelevance.

We follow the Old Testament(and mosaic law, which you're refering to) unless Jesus says otherwise. Adultery is still a sin we just can't kill them for it.

Easy, elementary RE.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:37:53 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:31:46 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
I have a c/p for the trinity and Problem of evil but now it looks like I have one of Christian doctrine too.

Jesus changed rules notably the majority of Mosaic Law, it's a major biblical contradiction. If you know the story of the Crucifixion and Parsees, this is the main reason as to why he was killed. The ministry of Jesus is very different of the Law and codes of Moses, David and Isaiah. The simple fact is because Jesus is GOD, the messiah, his word overrules previous sayings by Prophets or Apostles.

Why do we allow gentiles to be Christian, eat pork, not kill? Because Jesus said so. It's really that simple.

Anything in the four cannon Gospels overrules everything else in the Bible. Anything in one Gospel overrules another Gospel given the subject Gospel has the message recited or held to greater esteem.

So he changed his mind
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:39:56 PM
Geo,

let us try this directy, give me a law and I'll tell you why we don't follow it. Hopefully, after a while you'll see a trend and then you should get the message.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:44:23 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:37:53 PM, sal wrote:

So he changed his mind

Possibly, but they may have been misheard or changed. As Jesus puts it "because of the hardness of your heart he wrote you this commandment."
'sup DDO -- july 2013
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:45:57 PM
Anything in one Gospel overrules another Gospel given the subject Gospel has the message recited or held to greater esteem.

all the gospels overrule each other? lol
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:46:33 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:44:23 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

So he changed his mind

Possibly, but they may have been misheard or changed. As Jesus puts it "because of the hardness of your heart he wrote you this commandment."

All knowing and changed his mind?
acritic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:47:45 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:39:56 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
Geo,

let us try this directy, give me a law and I'll tell you why we don't follow it. Hopefully, after a while you'll see a trend and then you should get the message.

tzitzit.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:49:08 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:29:00 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/25/2010 3:26:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're either lying, severely ignorant, or have massive amnesia if you think I think the OT is "irrelevant".

Even if that were true it (which it isn't) it doesn't follow that I think the OT is "irrelevant".

You know - since we ALREADY have had an exchange on this and the "death penalty" laws in the OT.

And we didn't get anywhere. I didn't understand your explanation and still don't.

I don't understand why you didn't get it. The laws were hyperbole.

So put it simply, why are the 10 Commandments still to be followed, but not the rest of the OT laws.

Because there is a difference between moral and ceremonial law.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:51:18 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:47:45 PM, acritic wrote:
Geo,

tzitzit.

Lama atta misvakeach im hanotzrim
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 3:58:09 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:45:57 PM, belle wrote:
Anything in one Gospel overrules another Gospel given the subject Gospel has the message recited or held to greater esteem.

all the gospels overrule each other? lol

Yeah.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 4:00:10 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:49:08 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/25/2010 3:29:00 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Even if that were true it (which it isn't) it doesn't follow that I think the OT is "irrelevant".

That's besides the point. I want to know why the laws of OT don't apply. I'm pretty sure you don't stone people for working on the sabbath.

"anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death." (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

I don't understand why you didn't get it. The laws were hyperbole.

You're case wasn't convincing. When God said that people should be put to death, he didn't mean slap their wrist.

Because there is a difference between moral and ceremonial law.

Why does he have laws that aren't for moral purposes?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 4:00:41 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:46:33 PM, sal wrote:
At 7/25/2010 3:44:23 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

So he changed his mind

All knowing and changed his mind?

omniscience =//= Inability to change ones mind.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 4:18:00 PM
At 7/25/2010 3:47:45 PM, acritic wrote:
Geo,

tzitzit.

G2g, I swear the "tzitzit" was a suggestion, but see ritual purity If I'm wrong.
'sup DDO -- july 2013