Jump to topic:

Christianity: is it plausible?

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 9:25:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If one accepts the main stream arguments for God's existence this would lead them to become a non-denomination theist. Not a Christian.

I've heard an argument from "religious experience" that basically says it's nearly impossible for billions of human beings to claim having an experience with some religious affiliation and have all of that be false. Maybe I'm getting that argument wrong.

Christians, particularly ones well-versed in logic, I want to know what sets you apart from a non-denominational theist.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 9:27:43 AM
At 4/3/2015 9:25:03 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
If one accepts the main stream arguments for God's existence this would lead them to become a non-denomination theist. Not a Christian.

I've heard an argument from "religious experience" that basically says it's nearly impossible for billions of human beings to claim having an experience with some religious affiliation and have all of that be false. Maybe I'm getting that argument wrong.

Christians, particularly ones well-versed in logic, I want to know what sets you apart from a non-denominational theist.

How about the tens of thousands of registered Christian denominations?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 9:32:14 AM
At 4/3/2015 9:27:43 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Essentially, you're asking "what variety of Christian?" because only one "variety", even if just for the sake of agument, is true, it means that all other varieties of Christianity is falsified. That's not how I understand what it means to be a "Christian". A Christian is anyone who believes that Jesus is Christ. Period.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 9:34:25 AM
At 4/3/2015 9:32:14 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Essentially, you're asking "what variety of Christian?" because only one "variety", even if just for the sake of agument, is true, it means that all other varieties of Christianity is falsified. That's not how I understand what it means to be a "Christian". A Christian is anyone who believes that Jesus is Christ. Period.

Then, there should only be one denomination. How do we explain this contradiction?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 9:35:06 AM
At 4/3/2015 9:34:25 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Then, there should only be one denomination. How do we explain this contradiction?

Possibly different interpretations of evidence?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 9:38:59 AM
At 4/3/2015 9:35:06 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Ah, so it's all about interpretation of evidence. What evidence, specifically is being interpreted such that tens of thousands of variations have come about on the simple concept that Jesus is Christ?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 9:39:27 AM

Tell that to all of the so-called Christians who claim that they are the only 'true' Christians while all the others, who also believe the Jesus is their Lord and Savior, are wrong. Too many people trying to be 'right' and make everyone else follow their 'right' way in direct opposition to that example of their so-called lord and savior.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 9:57:34 AM
At 4/3/2015 9:38:59 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Ah, so it's all about interpretation of evidence. What evidence, specifically is being interpreted such that tens of thousands of variations have come about on the simple concept that Jesus is Christ?

I don't think that the different denominations are over whether Jesus is Christ.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 9:58:38 AM
At 4/3/2015 9:39:27 AM, dhardage wrote:

Tell that to all of the so-called Christians who claim that they are the only 'true' Christians while all the others, who also believe the Jesus is their Lord and Savior, are wrong. Too many people trying to be 'right' and make everyone else follow their 'right' way in direct opposition to that example of their so-called lord and savior.

Ok I will.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:06:28 AM
At 4/3/2015 9:58:38 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Ok I will.

Let me know how that works out for you. Particularly with the Westboro Baptist Church and its ilk.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:08:36 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:06:28 AM, dhardage wrote:

Ok I will.

Let me know how that works out for you. Particularly with the Westboro Baptist Church and its ilk.

It would make no difference in truth value.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:12:05 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:08:36 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Ok I will.

That was not my point. You are saying that just believing that Christ is your lord and savior is all that you need to be a Christian. My point is that there are millions of self-identified Christians who will disagree. My point is that they will not listen to anyone who has a message that differs from theirs. My point is that a divine, self-evident truth would not be subject to various interpretations and would not result in all the varying and often conflicting dogmas present in the Christian faith as a whole.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:15:04 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:12:05 AM, dhardage wrote:

Ok I will.

That was not my point. You are saying that just believing that Christ is your lord and savior is all that you need to be a Christian. My point is that there are millions of self-identified Christians who will disagree. My point is that they will not listen to anyone who has a message that differs from theirs. My point is that a divine, self-evident truth would not be subject to various interpretations and would not result in all the varying and often conflicting dogmas present in the Christian faith as a whole.

Well IF there is a truth about Christianity I don't see why it is necessarily self-evident.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:19:21 AM
At 4/3/2015 9:57:34 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

I don't think that the different denominations are over whether Jesus is Christ.

But, I would suspect that would be something you should know considering you yourself have chosen a specific denomination amongst the tens of thousands available.

Let's look at the evidence. There are 929 chapters in the Old Testament and 260 chapters in the New Testament. This gives a total of 1,189 chapters (on average, 18 per book). There are currently at least 41,000 denominations.

Let's do the math:

41,000 / 1189 = about 35. Hence, there are 35 different denominations for every chapter in the Old Testament and New Testament combined.

If we just use the New Testament:

41,000 / 260 = about 158. This number is even more staggering; 158 different denominations for every chapter of the New Testament.

This isn't a problem of interpretation, obviously.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:19:52 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:15:04 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Ok I will.

Well IF there is a truth about Christianity I don't see why it is necessarily self-evident.

Nor do I, but there are lots of Christians who claim it is and claim that every atheist is simply denying this self-evident fact.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:22:16 AM

If Christianity or some version of was more plausibility you wouldn't need faith now you would ?

Whats more plausible, that the miracle claims in the gospel are true ? or man made bullsh*t ?

Whats more plausible, that Jesus fulfilled bible prophecy or that people aware of the prophecies reversed engineered claims about him to make him fulfill such prophecy ?

Whats more plausible, that am invisible person who exists beyond this universe takes an interest in human affairs and has created a place of eternal fire for punishment BUT you can avoid such punishment if you believe that although all other human sacrifices to appease a God were in vain and based on primitive human reasoning of how the worlds works, never the less there has being at least one successful human sacrifice that happend about 2000 years which actually did work to appease a God.

What more plausible, that peoples personal relationship with Jesus is the product of a divine communication or the result of religious indoctrination where they are told ad nausem what to believe and what to think.

What more plausible that the existence of a heaven after death is an actual state of affairs or a wishful thinking ?

I mean it goes on and on like this............

I don't hold it against anyone for being a skeptic on such matters
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:23:06 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:19:21 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

But, I would suspect that would be something you should know considering you yourself have chosen a specific denomination amongst the tens of thousands available.

Let's look at the evidence. There are 929 chapters in the Old Testament and 260 chapters in the New Testament. This gives a total of 1,189 chapters (on average, 18 per book). There are currently at least 41,000 denominations.

Let's do the math:

41,000 / 1189 = about 35. Hence, there are 35 different denominations for every chapter in the Old Testament and New Testament combined.

41,000 / 260 = about 158. This number is even more staggering; 158 different denominations for every chapter of the New Testament.

Are these interpretations over whether Jesus is Christ?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:24:02 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:19:52 AM, dhardage wrote:

Ok I will.

Nor do I, but there are lots of Christians who claim it is and claim that every atheist is simply denying this self-evident fact.

Well it wouldn't matter what the Christians said in that instance if it isn't necessarily true.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:25:28 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:24:02 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Ok I will.

Well it wouldn't matter what the Christians said in that instance if it isn't necessarily true.

I'm fully aware of that but I'm confronted with it every time I try to discuss religion in general and my complete lack of it with a Christian.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:25:31 AM

Christians, particularly ones well-versed in logic, I want to know what sets you apart from a non-denominational theist. : :

In order to understand why Christianity exists in the first place, you need to understand God's plan called the beast. If you don't know what the beast is, then you won't understand anything that is happening in this visible world and why we have the modern technology today.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:26:19 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:23:06 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Let's do the math:

That's the question posed to you. What seems to be the contradiction here?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:29:08 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:22:16 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

If Christianity or some version of was more plausibility you wouldn't need faith now you would ?

It depends on what "faith" means.

Whats more plausible, that the miracle claims in the gospel are true ? or man made bullsh*t ?

More likely false, but not necessarily.

Whats more plausible, that Jesus fulfilled bible prophecy or that people aware of the prophecies reversed engineered claims about him to make him fulfill such prophecy ?

I don't know. There's evidence for and against.

Whats more plausible, that am invisible person who exists beyond this universe takes an interest in human affairs and has created a place of eternal fire for punishment BUT you can avoid such punishment if you believe that although all other human sacrifices to appease a God were in vain and based on primitive human reasoning of how the worlds works, never the less there has being at least one successful human sacrifice that happend about 2000 years which actually did work to appease a God.

It depends on interpretation of scripture. Some Christians believe that hell isn't a place of eternal torment.

What more plausible, that peoples personal relationship with Jesus is the product of a divine communication or the result of religious indoctrination where they are told ad nausem what to believe and what to think.

I don't know.

What more plausible that the existence of a heaven after death is an actual state of affairs or a wishful thinking ?

There is considerable evidence of an afterlife with near death experiences. It's more plausible that it's an actual affair rather than wishful thinking.

I mean it goes on and on like this............

I don't hold it against anyone for being a skeptic on such matters

I do remain skeptical and always will. That doesn't mean that I'm *against* anything either.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:30:21 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:26:19 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Let's do the math:

It doesn't seem to be over whether Jesus is Christ. Catholics and Christians are both "Christians" yet disagree on a large number of things.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:31:57 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:30:21 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Let's do the math:

It doesn't seem to be over whether Jesus is Christ. Catholics and Christians are both "Christians" yet disagree on a large number of things.

Okay, and why is that? Please explain this contradiction? You should know, you yourself have chosen a specific denomination, hence you MUST know why?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:32:31 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:25:28 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 4/3/2015 10:24:02 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Ok I will.

I'm fully aware of that but I'm confronted with it every time I try to discuss religion in general and my complete lack of it with a Christian.

My condolences.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:33:49 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:31:57 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Let's do the math:

Okay, and why is that? Please explain this contradiction? You should know, you yourself have chosen a specific denomination, hence you MUST know why?

Different interpretations of scripture and/or evidence. I myself am a non-denomination theist. I haven't chosen any religion.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:36:21 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:33:49 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Let's do the math:

Different interpretations of scripture and/or evidence. I myself am a non-denomination theist. I haven't chosen any religion.

Okay, so you're just going to dance around the issue and not explain anything. As suspected.

And yes, you are a denominational theist, by definition.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:37:51 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:36:21 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Let's do the math:

Okay, so you're just going to dance around the issue and not explain anything. As suspected.

Explain.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:50:04 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:37:51 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Let's do the math:

Explain.

So, you want explanations but will not offer any yourself? On a thread YOU created?

You have therefore answered your own question. No, Christianity is obviously not plausible, by your own lack of explanations.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 10:52:09 AM
At 4/3/2015 10:50:04 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 4/3/2015 10:37:51 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Let's do the math:

Explain.

So, you want explanations but will not offer any yourself? On a thread YOU created?

You have therefore answered your own question. No, Christianity is obviously not plausible, by your own lack of explanations.

So you're just going to dance around the issue and not explain anything. As suspected.

And yes, you've avoided answering the question, by definition.