Jump to topic:

Salvation

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 4:28:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Christians, is this comic an accurate summation of the nature of Christianity.

http://www.chick.com...

In addition what occurs when someone accepts Jesus but then loses their faith?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 4:28:57 AM
Or rather an accurate summation of the nature of salvation.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 5:40:24 AM
Yeah, Christianity doesn't require you to be good, just to believe in the unbelievable. So I can murder, rape and pillage to my hearts content, and then turn to Jesus and I'll go to Heaven, over a humanist who has donated billions to charities and has helped people in every way possible but is not a Christian.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 6:04:31 AM
Most Christians believe that if someone loses their faith they were never a true Christian to begin with. You can't go back after accepting Jesus into your life - it's a permanently transformative experience.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 8:35:48 AM
At 7/26/2010 5:40:24 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Yeah, Christianity doesn't require you to be good, just to believe in the unbelievable. So I can murder, rape and pillage to my hearts content, and then turn to Jesus and I'll go to Heaven, over a humanist who has donated billions to charities and has helped people in every way possible but is not a Christian.

Uh, no. That's Protestants and NOT all Christians. The majority of Christians (i.e. Catholics) certainly do not believe that "grace alone" nonsense; your actions speak louder than your words. Protestants have a subjective interpretation of things and it is no wonder that they fall short.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 8:57:52 AM
At 7/26/2010 6:04:31 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Most Christians believe that if someone loses their faith they were never a true Christian to begin with. You can't go back after accepting Jesus into your life - it's a permanently transformative experience.

That's way wrong. Most people of faith, not just Christians, acknowledge that there are times when one's faith runs a bit thin, and there are doubts and sometimes anger with belief in God. This often happens in the midst of tragedy, or just dry periods in life. They aren't looked at as not being a true Christian, not at all.
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 9:11:51 AM
At 7/26/2010 8:57:52 AM, innomen wrote:
At 7/26/2010 6:04:31 AM, Kinesis wrote:

That's way wrong. Most people of faith, not just Christians, acknowledge that there are times when one's faith runs a bit thin, and there are doubts and sometimes anger with belief in God. This often happens in the midst of tragedy, or just dry periods in life. They aren't looked at as not being a true Christian, not at all.

mhm
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 12:34:15 PM
there are two unpardonable sins Murder, and Denying the Spirit after having a sincere testimony of it. Apart from that if you come with a sincere heart and real intent desiring to repent and never again to do evil you can repent
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 12:49:14 PM
At 7/26/2010 12:34:15 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
there are two unpardonable sins Murder, and Denying the Spirit after having a sincere testimony of it. Apart from that if you come with a sincere heart and real intent desiring to repent and never again to do evil you can repent

In Christianity, murder is forgivable as well as denying God, so long as you repent and do not deny Him (or murder) anymore. but that's Christianity.
WOS
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 12:57:15 PM
At 7/26/2010 12:49:14 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

In Christianity, murder is forgivable as well as denying God, so long as you repent and do not deny Him (or murder) anymore. but that's Christianity.

Where in the scriptures does it say that.
Furthermore, if you have a sincere testimony of the Gospel of Christ and of the Holy Ghost and you know that it to be true, and then deny it, you are a son of perdition and will dwell forever with Satan and his angels. but it would be similar to denying that the sun exists at noon day when you are directly in it's light, that is how it becomes an unpardonable sin.
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:00:26 PM
At 7/26/2010 8:35:48 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 7/26/2010 5:40:24 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Uh, no. That's Protestants and NOT all Christians. The majority of Christians (i.e. Catholics) certainly do not believe that "grace alone" nonsense; your actions speak louder than your words. Protestants have a subjective interpretation of things and it is no wonder that they fall short.

Isn't it Catholics who can confess and get away with almost anything though?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:03:39 PM

Explain "a sincere testimony of it", and where did you get that?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:06:55 PM
At 7/26/2010 12:57:15 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

John 3:16. Where does it say Murder and denying the Lord are unpardonable?

Furthermore, if you have a sincere testimony of the Gospel of Christ and of the Holy Ghost and you know that it to be true, and then deny it, you are a son of perdition and will dwell forever with Satan and his angels. but it would be similar to denying that the sun exists at noon day when you are directly in it's light, that is how it becomes an unpardonable sin.

Source.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:09:56 PM
The same place where it says that all sins may be forgiven.

Furthermore, if you have a sincere testimony of the Gospel of Christ and of the Holy Ghost and you know that it to be true, and then deny it...
Yes, but this is a continual process. You need to die denying but if you repent and accept the Holy Spirit's mercy, you can be saved.

...you are a son of perdition and will dwell forever with Satan and his angels.
This bit I think is a quote from a false prophet.
WOS
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:10:53 PM
At 7/26/2010 1:06:55 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Source.

Might be a Mormon thing.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:12:42 PM
At 7/26/2010 1:03:39 PM, innomen wrote:

Hebrews 6:4-8
4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

"Those in this life who gain a perfect knowledge of the divinity of the gospel cause, a knowledge that comes only by revelation from the Holy Ghost, and who then link themselves with Lucifer and come out in open rebellion also become sons of perdition. Their destiny, following their resurrection is to be case out with the devil and his angles, to inherit the same kingdom in a state where "their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mormon Doctrine, Bruce R. McConkie, pg 746)

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:15:28 PM
At 7/26/2010 1:06:55 PM, wjmelements wrote:

John 3:16
16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If you have denied the Spirit after having a perfect knowledge then you wouldn't really believe on him would you?

Source.
Look at my previous post

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:16:15 PM
At 7/26/2010 1:09:56 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
The same place where it says that all sins may be forgiven.

Give me a verse refrence
Furthermore, if you have a sincere testimony of the Gospel of Christ and of the Holy Ghost and you know that it to be true, and then deny it...
Yes, but this is a continual process. You need to die denying but if you repent and accept the Holy Spirit's mercy, you can be saved.

Look at my previous post
...you are a son of perdition and will dwell forever with Satan and his angels.
Think as you will

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:20:10 PM
At 7/26/2010 1:12:42 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

"Those in this life who gain a perfect knowledge of the divinity of the gospel cause, a knowledge that comes only by revelation from the Holy Ghost, and who then link themselves with Lucifer and come out in open rebellion also become sons of perdition. Their destiny, following their resurrection is to be case out with the devil and his angles, to inherit the same kingdom in a state where "their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mormon Doctrine, Bruce R. McConkie, pg 746)

I'm looking for this passage, and it doesn't sound anything like this. What translation/version?
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:20:47 PM
At 7/26/2010 1:20:10 PM, innomen wrote:
At 7/26/2010 1:12:42 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

I'm looking for this passage, and it doesn't sound anything like this. What translation/version?

King James Version

Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 1:32:46 PM
At 7/26/2010 1:16:15 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
Give me a verse refrence
See your previous post.
(16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.-- John 3:16)

Look at my previous post
Look above.

Think as you will
Obviously, I wasn't duped by a charlatan:
"But the prophet who shall speak a word presumptuously in My name which I have not commanded him to speak, or which he shall speak in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.' 21 "And you may say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?' 22 "When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him," (Deut. 18:20-22).
WOS
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:53:01 AM
At 7/26/2010 4:28:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Matthew 13:17-23 (New International Version)
17For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

18"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:05:04 AM
At 7/27/2010 2:53:01 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

17For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

18"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

Thank you, that was utterly and completely unhelpful.
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:05:56 AM
"Twixt the saddle and the ground
Mercy was sought and mercy found".

The Shotts Docken

(A variant of Tam's Loup, Anon but the original by Jardine)

There lived in Shotts in olden days,
A drunkard quite devoid of grace.
Whom demon drink tried hard to damn,
The people called him ‘Drunken Tam'.

The only friend he had indeed,
Was his poor horse, his faithful steed.
When Tam was helpless full of drink,
The horse for him would work and think.

For when Tam couldn't cope with reins,
The horse itself had far more brains.
And often in the dead of night,
Would lead Tam home to cottage light.

He wasn't so bad a man at heart,
And often tried from drink to part.
But what some call "a social grace",
Had poor Tam held in death's embrace.

One night across the bleak Shotts Hill,
The mist came down and boded ill.
The horse, though faithful to the end,
Stumbling blindly, threw his friend.

When on the morn the mist did clear,
They found poor Tam's dead body near.
And then they made another find,
Which told Tam's change of heart and mind.

For on the ground where Tam lay sprawled,
On a docken leaf these words were scrawled.
"Twixt the saddle and the ground
Mercy was sought and mercy found".

That night Tam got his sudden call,
And only God who knoweth all.
Can tell what happened near the sod,
When Tam went out to meet his God.

This tale is vouched for very well,
Because the place where poor Tam fell.
Was called ‘Tam's Loup' you'll see it still,
Beside the quarry at Shotts Hill,
So even in that far off day,
Drunken driving did not pay.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:08:30 AM
At 7/27/2010 3:05:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

To you perhaps, but you do not speak for everyone do you?

IN FACT everything you say, especially to me, MUST be taken with an extra LARGE pinch of salt!
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:30:41 AM
At 7/27/2010 3:08:30 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

IN FACT everything you say, especially to me, MUST be taken with an extra LARGE pinch of salt!

Find me one person of average intellect that thought your reply was at all helpful.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 8:02:29 AM
At 7/27/2010 3:30:41 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 7/27/2010 3:08:30 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Find me one person of average intellect that thought your reply was at all helpful.

I'll let Jesus be the judge of my MOTIVES and INTENT!
The Cross.. the Cross.