Jump to topic:

Its better to reform than get rid of religion

Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:18:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Lets start a discussion! In my opinion, I think it would be better to reform religion, rather than to try and get rid of it.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:56:07 PM
At 4/6/2015 8:18:04 PM, Pase66 wrote:
Lets start a discussion! In my opinion, I think it would be better to reform religion, rather than to try and get rid of it.

- If reform or removal are the two options, only the former is possible. Religion is irremovable, that's just a brute fact.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 9:01:11 PM

I'd rather just get rid of it were such a thing possible. Perhaps with enough time. However, it's becoming useless and a burden on progress and society as a whole. I'd rather see it go the way of witchcraft, fortune telling, etc.... a distant relic that we look at as a novelty rather than a functional system of believe.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 9:18:14 PM

Doesn't matter, religions will disappear entirely on their own probably over the next few hundred years.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 9:20:27 PM
So confused, you like most Abrahamic believers who very falsely think fortune telling has disappeared are unaware that the opposite case is modern reality. In fact, astrological forecasting is THEE MOST POPULAR Religiously held theological system in the whole world. No other organized religion but astrology has its tenets printed in most every major newspaper on earth. Astrological interest seems Never to die out, even though forbidden by the Abrahamic religions protecting their priesthoods from being exposed as total phonies. E.g. rabbis in the foundational religion of Judaism have no knowledge of where the root religious concept word "Torah" really originates. And yet rabbis claim all this "Torah" wisdom which is pure Hebrew religious propaganda.

There is no way to reform Abraham once believers realize Abraham was insane and his model of "righteousness" pure homocidal mental illness that would rightfully get Abe locked in prison today. With Abe exposed as a moral cretin and actually another rip off of pagan gods, and the Bible toast as real history of us Jews, that spells the End Times of Abrahamic religions for all who think for themselves and can see that reform is out of the question for Bad Religion.

I teach Celestial Torah Christianity which is a modern yet most ancient form of Gnosis of God because it's based on spiritual knowledge of God acquired in spiritual epiphanies and revelations of Meaning of religious symbolic events, not just scholarship although without scholarship you are prone to religious propaganda being accepted in place of historical or ethical truth.

Islam will go through an Islamic Reformation as there is a Key Idea contained in the word "islam" that makes it potentially able to override Muhammad idolatry that ruins old Islam, making it a fraud to the true potential of "Surrender to God as Peace", Muhammad left the Peace part out and produced a totalitarian monstrosity of a religion.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 9:42:23 PM
At 4/6/2015 9:20:27 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
So confused, you like most Abrahamic believers who very falsely think fortune telling has disappeared are unaware that the opposite case is modern reality. In fact, astrological forecasting is THEE MOST POPULAR Religiously held theological system in the whole world. No other organized religion but astrology has its tenets printed in most every major newspaper on earth. Astrological interest seems Never to die out, even though forbidden by the Abrahamic religions protecting their priesthoods from being exposed as total phonies. E.g. rabbis in the foundational religion of Judaism have no knowledge of where the root religious concept word "Torah" really originates. And yet rabbis claim all this "Torah" wisdom which is pure Hebrew religious propaganda.

There is no way to reform Abraham once believers realize Abraham was insane and his model of "righteousness" pure homocidal mental illness that would rightfully get Abe locked in prison today. With Abe exposed as a moral cretin and actually another rip off of pagan gods, and the Bible toast as real history of us Jews, that spells the End Times of Abrahamic religions for all who think for themselves and can see that reform is out of the question for Bad Religion.

I teach Celestial Torah Christianity which is a modern yet most ancient form of Gnosis of God because it's based on spiritual knowledge of God acquired in spiritual epiphanies and revelations of Meaning of religious symbolic events, not just scholarship although without scholarship you are prone to religious propaganda being accepted in place of historical or ethical truth.

Islam will go through an Islamic Reformation as there is a Key Idea contained in the word "islam" that makes it potentially able to override Muhammad idolatry that ruins old Islam, making it a fraud to the true potential of "Surrender to God as Peace", Muhammad left the Peace part out and produced a totalitarian monstrosity of a religion.

You poor little sick minded star gazer.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 10:15:15 PM
Lets start a discussion! In my opinion, I think it would be better to reform religion, rather than to try and get rid of it. : :

God planned on destroying all religions soon so be patient;

Daniel 2
44: And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed, nor shall its sovereignty be left to another people. It shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand for ever;
45: just as you saw that a stone was cut from a mountain by no human hand, and that it broke in pieces the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver, and the gold. A great God has made known to the king what shall be hereafter. The dream is certain, and its interpretation sure."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 10:16:42 PM
At 4/6/2015 10:15:15 PM, bornofgod wrote:
Lets start a discussion! In my opinion, I think it would be better to reform religion, rather than to try and get rid of it. : :

Daniel 2
44: And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed, nor shall its sovereignty be left to another people. It shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand for ever;
45: just as you saw that a stone was cut from a mountain by no human hand, and that it broke in pieces the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver, and the gold. A great God has made known to the king what shall be hereafter. The dream is certain, and its interpretation sure."

Back on here trying to interpret prophesy, eh? We noticed how well you did last time you delved off into it.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 10:21:27 PM
At 4/6/2015 10:16:42 PM, annanicole wrote:

Daniel 2

Back on here trying to interpret prophesy, eh? We noticed how well you did last time you delved off into it. : :

All us saints understood the prophecies about God's plan to destroy the visible universe we observe so we can wake up in new flesh in Paradise ( New Heaven and Earth ).

Not ONE CHRISTIAN understands the prophecies.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 10:25:33 PM
I assume then, you think religion is more than a little bad at the moment.

What do you think it would take to make it good?
Why hasn't religion done this already?
What would it take to make it do this?
How is that influence different from leveling criticism and encouraging people to abandon bad faiths?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 10:32:49 PM
At 4/6/2015 10:21:27 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Daniel 2

Back on here trying to interpret prophesy, eh? We noticed how well you did last time you delved off into it. : :

All us saints understood the prophecies about God's plan to destroy the visible universe we observe so we can wake up in new flesh in Paradise ( New Heaven and Earth ).

Apparently NOT ONE SAINT BRAD understands them very well, either, or else he wouldn't have made a fool of himself.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 11:43:59 PM
At 4/6/2015 10:32:49 PM, annanicole wrote:

Daniel 2

Apparently NOT ONE SAINT BRAD understands them very well, either, or else he wouldn't have made a fool of himself. : :

Antichrists were made by our Creator to reject His Voice that us saints testify to. They will use any excuse not to believe our Creator's thoughts.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 11:59:06 PM
At 4/6/2015 11:43:59 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Daniel 2

Apparently NOT ONE SAINT BRAD understands them very well, either, or else he wouldn't have made a fool of himself. : :

Antichrists were made by our Creator to reject His Voice that us saints testify to. They will use any excuse not to believe our Creator's thoughts.

Sticks and stone may break our bones, but ....

"Apparently NOT ONE SAINT BRAD understands them very well, either, or else he wouldn't have made a fool of himself."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 12:02:11 AM
At 4/6/2015 11:59:06 PM, annanicole wrote:

Daniel 2

"Apparently NOT ONE SAINT BRAD understands them very well, either, or else he wouldn't have made a fool of himself." : :

I AM the ONLY ONE who understands the prophecies and I've used Brad Holkesvig to write and speak My servant's knowledge until My servant is understood by him.

Brad Holkesvig is the fool that will be killed for testifying for Me but I will continue to live on forever.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 12:14:08 AM
At 4/6/2015 8:56:07 PM, Yassine wrote:

- If reform or removal are the two options, only the former is possible. Religion is irremovable, that's just a brute fact.

When facing a titan, if it can bleed it can be killed. When facing religion, if it can be reformed, it can be altered and bastardized into obscurity. Religion requires a slow death by a thousand cuts. We can at the very least reduce it to deism and build a secular state upon it.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 12:37:45 AM
At 4/7/2015 12:14:08 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
When facing a titan, if it can bleed it can be killed. When facing religion, if it can be reformed, it can be altered and bastardized into obscurity. Religion requires a slow death by a thousand cuts. We can at the very least reduce it to deism and build a secular state upon it.

- That might work against some, but not against the world's great religions. Good luck driving 30% of the world's population from Christianity & 25% of the world's population from Islam & the rest from Hinduism & Buddhism. . .
- For instance, Islamic Thought in its entirety is equivalent to Wester Thought, it's an encompassing comprehensive worldview, for private life, public life, political life, intellectual life, spiritual life. . . all this into one coherent system. It would be virtually impossible to reduce it to anything less!
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 12:44:02 AM
At 4/7/2015 12:02:11 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Daniel 2

"Apparently NOT ONE SAINT BRAD understands them very well, either, or else he wouldn't have made a fool of himself." : :

I AM the ONLY ONE who understands the prophecies and I've used Brad Holkesvig to write and speak My servant's knowledge until My servant is understood by him.

Brad Holkesvig is the fool that will be killed for testifying for Me but I will continue to live on forever.

Oooooops! "Saint Brad" is back to pretending that God is speaking thru him again.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 12:51:26 AM
At 4/7/2015 12:44:02 AM, annanicole wrote:

Daniel 2

Oooooops! "Saint Brad" is back to pretending that God is speaking thru him again. : :

I was the same Voice of the Lord that Moses wrote about.

John 5
37: And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen;
38: and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe him whom he has sent.
39: You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me;
40: yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
41: I do not receive glory from men.
42: But I know that you have not the love of God within you.
43: I have come in my Father's name, and you do not receive me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.
44: How can you believe, who receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?
45: Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; it is Moses who accuses you, on whom you set your hope.
46: If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote of me.
47: But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 1:18:48 AM
At 4/7/2015 12:37:45 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 4/7/2015 12:14:08 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

- That might work against some, but not against the world's great religions. Good luck driving 30% of the world's population from Christianity & 25% of the world's population from Islam & the rest from Hinduism & Buddhism. . .

Time and progress is all it takes. I can't say how much, but eventually when we test and test again the claims made by the religious and morality and God's will we'll find them incompatible with what humans desire as best for society. Gay marriage is a simple example, in the US and Europe we are quickly finding it morally acceptable with the new generation. Of course we still face conservative rebuttals. But time is on our side. Secularism does not need to wipe out religion 100% to win. There will always be fanatical cults on the fringe. But when governments can operate without superstition that is the victory I seek.

- For instance, Islamic Thought in its entirety is equivalent to Wester Thought, it's an encompassing comprehensive worldview, for private life, public life, political life, intellectual life, spiritual life. . . all this into one coherent system. It would be virtually impossible to reduce it to anything less!

There is one major difference between western and Islamic thought, western thought is without God, secular, and it's edicts can be traced back to thoughts and arguments that can be challenged by humans. Islamic thought is based on a God, in which questioning can be discarded as blasphemy.
Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 1:43:41 AM

I never said that fortune telling has disappeared, I said it is more of a novelty. While there still are some communities of active practitioners, the public as a whole doesn't give it much credence anymore. When was the last time you saw a political argument based on fortune telling? Now when was the last time you saw a political argument based on Judeo-Christian scriptures? That's what I mean by being a novelty. The sphere of influence is now so small that fortune telling no longer plays an important part in our political or social lives (aside from the few people that still practice this form of worship), it is now something people seek out for entertainment, not cosmological truth.

My hope is that religion will take on a similar role. A novelty that gives people peace of mind, etc.... but doesn't influence public discourse.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 5:35:03 AM

Jehovah is already doing that by means of his son.

Those who wish to accept his reformation become Jehovah's Witnesses.

Those who do not, will lose out on eternal life.

The True God needs no help from us other than to point out to people "where it's at".
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 9:35:43 AM
At 4/7/2015 1:43:41 AM, Sosoconfused wrote:

I never said that fortune telling has disappeared, I said it is more of a novelty. While there still are some communities of active practitioners, the public as a whole doesn't give it much credence anymore. When was the last time you saw a political argument based on fortune telling? Now when was the last time you saw a political argument based on Judeo-Christian scriptures? That's what I mean by being a novelty. The sphere of influence is now so small that fortune telling no longer plays an important part in our political or social lives (aside from the few people that still practice this form of worship), it is now something people seek out for entertainment, not cosmological truth.

My hope is that religion will take on a similar role. A novelty that gives people peace of mind, etc.... but doesn't influence public discourse.

There is one thing Yassine and I agree upon and that is the impossibility of ever getting rid of religion. Religions are the way in which human beings organize their Emotions which is why they are so strongly attached to human life, they organize community emotional priorities.

My point about astrology is that Abrahamics and athiests stalking Abrahamic believers are still narcissistically blind to the perpetual power of the astrological underpinning of most all ancient religions including the Abrahamic ones. All of Judaism's holidays copy their pagan neighbors celebrations of the seasonal breaks. The names and reasons are changed but the celebration times reveal their connection to astrological seasonal breaks. I have and I am certainly not the first to do so, have seen how astrological meanings of planetary and star systems underlie so many Biblical events, especially the astrological role of the Man Sign, the bearer of Living Waters, who shows up in pagan religions as either a Baptist type or a Psychopomp, a Guide for the Dead to reach heavenly afterlife and not the lake of fire which in Egyptian religion inspired Christian and Muslim hell scenarios.

The spiritual power of Christianity is in part due to its containing the clearest astrological information in its Gospels although that clarity can't be seen by regular biblical interpretation so Pauline Christians, never taught to read scriptures other than literally, miss the symbolic guidance and fall for the surface Story. Atheists of course only attack the surface reading Bible idolators as they are easy pickings. Atheists can't touch Gnosis of God intellectually or ethically and resort like their religious shadows, to using slander as their main argument.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 10:04:11 AM
If such a choice were indeed possible, I'd eliminate religion all together. Getting rid of such a deeply entrenched illogical and unreasoning mode of thinking would, in my opinion, open the way for progress social and technological that could relieve the misery of so many. I hasten to emphasize that this is strictly my opinion and has no basis in any hard research.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 1:47:04 PM
At 4/6/2015 9:01:11 PM, Sosoconfused wrote:

I'd rather just get rid of it were such a thing possible. Perhaps with enough time. However, it's becoming useless and a burden on progress and society as a whole. I'd rather see it go the way of witchcraft, fortune telling, etc.... a distant relic that we look at as a novelty rather than a functional system of believe.

Well, religion does mean something to a lot of people. I was thinking more along the lines of reducing religious violence and dogmatism, but I don't think we should try to reduce it to a "distant relic that we look at as a novelty".
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 1:47:28 PM
At 4/6/2015 9:18:14 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Doesn't matter, religions will disappear entirely on their own probably over the next few hundred years.

I would beg to differ...
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 1:48:46 PM

Well, Muhammad did find the religion of Islam, and also I don't subscribe to the Abrahamic faiths. Not any faith really.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 3:15:37 PM
At 4/7/2015 1:47:04 PM, Pase66 wrote:

Well, religion does mean something to a lot of people. I was thinking more along the lines of reducing religious violence and dogmatism, but I don't think we should try to reduce it to a "distant relic that we look at as a novelty".

Jehovah has that one in hand as well. He doesn't like it any more than you do.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 3:36:23 PM
At 4/7/2015 1:47:28 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 4/6/2015 9:18:14 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I would beg to differ...

Please do. Non-belief is taking over the world, slowly, but surely. We see Christian kids growing up and rejecting their parents ideologies in droves. We see Muslims leaving the ME for the West in droves. Their childrens children will grow up in the West, they too will begin to reject their parents ideologies.

Of course, with the internet and the massive amounts of information available to everyone, many will get self-educated.

It's just a matter of time. :)
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 3:59:06 PM
At 4/7/2015 12:44:02 AM, annanicole wrote:

Daniel 2

Oooooops! "Saint Brad" is back to pretending that God is speaking thru him again.

Actually BoG is using Brad Holkesvig to write and speak his servants message until Brad understands his servant. So we have a trinity here. The I AM , Brad Holkesvig and the servant. How the three manage to sleep in one sleeping bag outside the church has yet to be explained.but one of them is definitely the homeless beggar, alcoholic with the mental problems and the saint wannabe. The other two might be the illusions he writes about.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 4:08:05 PM
At 4/7/2015 3:15:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/7/2015 1:47:04 PM, Pase66 wrote:

Jehovah has that one in hand as well. He doesn't like it any more than you do.

I like religion. I think it plays an important role in many people's lives. But religion should be the only dictating force in people's lives. Also, what up with Jehovah? If he wanted to get rid of religion, why didn't he?