Jump to topic:

Film Review: God's not dead

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 10:13:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I just watched a film called "God's not dead" which seemed fairly popular on Netflix. It started out pretty well with some good acting but soon descended into a propaganda piece. The basic premise is of an atheist college professor (Kevin Sorba) who demands that all students need to admit that god is dead in order to pass his class but a "brave" freshman student (Shane Harper) stands up to him and and for his beliefs. The professor then demands that he prove it by taking 20 minutes from the next three lectures to make his case.

Overall, I found the arguments against god to be ridiculous strawmen. For instance, at the climax, the freshmen asks "why do you hate god" repeatedly. Dramatic music. And then the professor admits that he hates god. (The real reason is discussed earlier - his mother died believing in god and god didn't save her). After the admission, the freshman asks in a low dramatic voice "how can you hate someone that doesn't exist" to resounding applause from the audience.

The atheist professor is then hit by a car and in the presence of a reverend (whose story we learn about in parallel), finally "finds" god before he dies.

This movie is the biggest pile of propaganda I've seen. 0 stars out of 100.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 10:29:53 PM
At 4/6/2015 10:13:33 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I just watched a film called "God's not dead" which seemed fairly popular on Netflix. It started out pretty well with some good acting but soon descended into a propaganda piece. The basic premise is of an atheist college professor (Kevin Sorba) who demands that all students need to admit that god is dead in order to pass his class but a "brave" freshman student (Shane Harper) stands up to him and and for his beliefs. The professor then demands that he prove it by taking 20 minutes from the next three lectures to make his case.

Overall, I found the arguments against god to be ridiculous strawmen. For instance, at the climax, the freshmen asks "why do you hate god" repeatedly. Dramatic music. And then the professor admits that he hates god. (The real reason is discussed earlier - his mother died believing in god and god didn't save her). After the admission, the freshman asks in a low dramatic voice "how can you hate someone that doesn't exist" to resounding applause from the audience.

The atheist professor is then hit by a car and in the presence of a reverend (whose story we learn about in parallel), finally "finds" god before he dies.

This movie is the biggest pile of propaganda I've seen. 0 stars out of 100. : :

Some of God's people find Him by watching movies and others learn to reject Him by watching movies. But everyone either believes or disbelieves He exists according to His plan.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 10:39:33 PM

Haha I love the idea of film reviews! Keep it up, if you can. TV used to do them and they were lots of fun.

When I saw the poster, I thought it was about the kid who claimed to have seen God while in a coma. I'm surprised to hear that it was just a scripted movie. Were there any good or funny moments?

Have you seen Jesus Camp?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 11:11:54 PM

This movie is the biggest pile of propaganda I've seen. 0 stars out of 100.

lol what did u expect?