Total Posts:94|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Agnosticism

InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 1:50:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ok, so I've been thinking the past few days. I'm beginning to think that maybe people are right, maybe there isn't really enough evidence to prove the existence or non-existence of God. So yea, I could be agnostic? Sorry if this seems like an attention seeking thread. I just want feedback.
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 1:52:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 1:50:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Ok, so I've been thinking the past few days. I'm beginning to think that maybe people are right, maybe there isn't really enough evidence to prove the existence or non-existence of God. So yea, I could be agnostic? Sorry if this seems like an attention seeking thread. I just want feedback.

Agnostic? What s that?
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 1:55:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 1:52:03 PM, cjl wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:50:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Ok, so I've been thinking the past few days. I'm beginning to think that maybe people are right, maybe there isn't really enough evidence to prove the existence or non-existence of God. So yea, I could be agnostic? Sorry if this seems like an attention seeking thread. I just want feedback.

Agnostic? What s that?

Didn't somebody already explain to you? Oh well, here it goes. http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 1:56:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either.

I read that on a car somewhere...

But BTW, you can still be a Muslim if you don't think you can demonstrate God's existence. You can believe something is true without knowing it to be true. You can be an agnostic-theist.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 1:57:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 1:56:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either.

I read that on a car somewhere...

But BTW, you can still be a Muslim if you don't think you can demonstrate God's existence. You can believe something is true without knowing it to be true. You can be an agnostic-theist.

Yea, I know I'm not an atheist. I just know I can't prove God's existence.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 1:57:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 1:50:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Ok, so I've been thinking the past few days. I'm beginning to think that maybe people are right, maybe there isn't really enough evidence to prove the existence or non-existence of God. So yea, I could be agnostic? Sorry if this seems like an attention seeking thread. I just want feedback.

Not that my opinion means all that much, but i always considered agnosticism to be the most reasonable stance. To simply say "i don't know" is a more logical position, and that was my position for a long time. They were the most unhappy years of my life, but logically it made sense to me. The affirmation of no God, seemed a little...reckless to me.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 1:58:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 1:57:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:56:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either.

I read that on a car somewhere...

But BTW, you can still be a Muslim if you don't think you can demonstrate God's existence. You can believe something is true without knowing it to be true. You can be an agnostic-theist.

Yea, I know I'm not an atheist. I just know I can't prove God's existence.

Sounds like you're in the middle then. Come over to the wimpy side that can't make up its mind. :D
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 1:59:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 1:58:16 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:57:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:56:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either.

I read that on a car somewhere...

But BTW, you can still be a Muslim if you don't think you can demonstrate God's existence. You can believe something is true without knowing it to be true. You can be an agnostic-theist.

Yea, I know I'm not an atheist. I just know I can't prove God's existence.

Sounds like you're in the middle then. Come over to the wimpy side that can't make up its mind. :D

Well not quite the middle. I'm still leaning towards the theist side.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:01:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 1:59:41 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:58:16 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:57:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:56:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either.

I read that on a car somewhere...

But BTW, you can still be a Muslim if you don't think you can demonstrate God's existence. You can believe something is true without knowing it to be true. You can be an agnostic-theist.

Yea, I know I'm not an atheist. I just know I can't prove God's existence.

Sounds like you're in the middle then. Come over to the wimpy side that can't make up its mind. :D

Well not quite the middle. I'm still leaning towards the theist side.

Say on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is convinced atheist and 10 is convinced theist. Where are you?
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:02:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:01:16 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:59:41 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:58:16 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:57:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:56:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either.

I read that on a car somewhere...

But BTW, you can still be a Muslim if you don't think you can demonstrate God's existence. You can believe something is true without knowing it to be true. You can be an agnostic-theist.

Yea, I know I'm not an atheist. I just know I can't prove God's existence.

Sounds like you're in the middle then. Come over to the wimpy side that can't make up its mind. :D

Well not quite the middle. I'm still leaning towards the theist side.

Say on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is convinced atheist and 10 is convinced theist. Where are you?

Hmm...I would probably say 6 or 7.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:07:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I will tell you that trying to find the answers from a book never did much to help me and my faith or my lack of faith. The holy books, the doctrines, the ologies, the whatever never really went beyond my brain. Looking at myself and where i fit was what helped me, and finding purpose in existence.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:10:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:07:58 PM, innomen wrote:
I will tell you that trying to find the answers from a book never did much to help me and my faith or my lack of faith. The holy books, the doctrines, the ologies, the whatever never really went beyond my brain. Looking at myself and where i fit was what helped me, and finding purpose in existence.

Well I try to reject doctrine and just follow my own path, but then I get accused of being a hypocrite and a cherry-picker.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:12:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 1:57:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:56:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either.

I read that on a car somewhere...

But BTW, you can still be a Muslim if you don't think you can demonstrate God's existence. You can believe something is true without knowing it to be true. You can be an agnostic-theist.

Yea, I know I'm not an atheist. I just know I can't prove God's existence.

Agnosticism is a form of Atheism.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:14:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Welcome to the club insert. I think we're all agnostic because now one really knows, anyone who claims certainty is arrogant, deluded or both.

I'm an atheist in the sense that I'm not remotely religious, but as this has so many connotations of certainty, I think it's a more rational and honest choice to label myself by my agnosticism first, rather than my atheism.

At 7/27/2010 1:56:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either.

I like that.
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:16:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:12:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:57:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:56:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either.

I read that on a car somewhere...

But BTW, you can still be a Muslim if you don't think you can demonstrate God's existence. You can believe something is true without knowing it to be true. You can be an agnostic-theist.

Yea, I know I'm not an atheist. I just know I can't prove God's existence.

Agnosticism is a form of Atheism.

No it's not. Atheists think that there is no possible way a god could/does exist, agnostics believe there's no way to know for sure either way.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:19:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Use the Dawkins scale:

1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'
3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'
5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'
6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

You seem to be a 3.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:21:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:16:09 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 7/27/2010 2:12:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:57:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:56:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Militant agnostic: I don't know and you don't either.

I read that on a car somewhere...

But BTW, you can still be a Muslim if you don't think you can demonstrate God's existence. You can believe something is true without knowing it to be true. You can be an agnostic-theist.

Yea, I know I'm not an atheist. I just know I can't prove God's existence.

Agnosticism is a form of Atheism.

No it's not. Atheists think that there is no possible way a god could/does exist, agnostics believe there's no way to know for sure either way.

No, Atheism is not believing in God. Which includes two groups "Strong-Atheists" who asserts that there is no God, and Agnostics who don't believe in God but don't assert that he doesn't exist.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:23:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:16:09 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
Atheists think that there is no possible way a god could/does exist, agnostics believe there's no way to know for sure either way.

I know where you're coming from as this is a common interpretation, however the literal meaning of atheism is simply non-belief in a god. The prefix "a" signifies an abscence of something, theism is belief in god(s).

Agnostic simply means without knowledge.

I think most rational people who call themselves atheists are actually agnostic atheists or de-facto atheists (same thing really).
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:23:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:16:34 PM, feverish wrote:
* no one really knows

I think there are many who believe in doctrine because they want to believe and it offers great comfort, and there are those who have a gift of faith...and that there is a difference.

Knows versus believes, even strongly believes with all they have inside them, yeah you are correct.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:25:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 1:50:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Ok, so I've been thinking the past few days. I'm beginning to think that maybe people are right, maybe there isn't really enough evidence to prove the existence or non-existence of God. So yea, I could be agnostic? Sorry if this seems like an attention seeking thread. I just want feedback.

Do you believe that God exists? Yes or not yes?
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:27:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:25:00 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:50:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Ok, so I've been thinking the past few days. I'm beginning to think that maybe people are right, maybe there isn't really enough evidence to prove the existence or non-existence of God. So yea, I could be agnostic? Sorry if this seems like an attention seeking thread. I just want feedback.

Do you believe that God exists? Yes or not yes?

That's the problem, I don't really know...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:30:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:27:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 2:25:00 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:50:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Ok, so I've been thinking the past few days. I'm beginning to think that maybe people are right, maybe there isn't really enough evidence to prove the existence or non-existence of God. So yea, I could be agnostic? Sorry if this seems like an attention seeking thread. I just want feedback.

Do you believe that God exists? Yes or not yes?

That's the problem, I don't really know...

Well you see, there's actually is a difference between Agnostic and confused. Agnostics do not believe in God, but they also don't believe that he doesn't.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:32:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:30:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/27/2010 2:27:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 2:25:00 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 7/27/2010 1:50:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Ok, so I've been thinking the past few days. I'm beginning to think that maybe people are right, maybe there isn't really enough evidence to prove the existence or non-existence of God. So yea, I could be agnostic? Sorry if this seems like an attention seeking thread. I just want feedback.

Do you believe that God exists? Yes or not yes?

That's the problem, I don't really know...

Well you see, there's actually is a difference between Agnostic and confused. Agnostics do not believe in God, but they also don't believe that he doesn't.

I'm not really sure where I could classify myself then.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:35:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:27:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 2:25:00 PM, tkubok wrote:
Do you believe that God exists? Yes or not yes?

That's the problem, I don't really know...

And that is why you get accused of cherry picking or being a hypocrite...because you claim to be a Muslim.

Now ask yourself, can you really be a Muslim if you don't know if Allah exists? Answer: no.

So be agnostic...there's nothing wrong with that. Many of my best friends are agnostics; 1 family member is a godless atheist...he's the black sheep!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:38:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:35:24 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 7/27/2010 2:27:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/27/2010 2:25:00 PM, tkubok wrote:
Do you believe that God exists? Yes or not yes?

That's the problem, I don't really know...

And that is why you get accused of cherry picking or being a hypocrite...because you claim to be a Muslim.

Now ask yourself, can you really be a Muslim if you don't know if Allah exists? Answer: no.

So be agnostic...there's nothing wrong with that. Many of my best friends are agnostics; 1 family member is a godless atheist...he's the black sheep!

Well I thought I was a muslim, but I have been coming to the realization that I'm probably not. Oh, and most of my family is non-religious so tbh, it would be alot easier to be agnostic around them than muslim.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:39:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/27/2010 2:38:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well I thought I was a muslim, but I have been coming to the realization that I'm probably not. Oh, and most of my family is non-religious so tbh, it would be alot easier to be agnostic around them than muslim.

As long as you're not a godless atheist!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.