Jump to topic:

Biological inference of deities

Mia_Iris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:31:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
If we consider the human body, if each cell could ask who their creator is what would be the answer?

However, it is not possible. Each cell in the human body has different, designated functions. Only the brain cells combined could acknowledge existence of the greater, whole self.

The answer and origin to the creation of all these random cells are the zygote from the union of parent cells.

Consider this as a microcosmic analogy of people. In that sense only, more intelligent people or those with specified intellectual functions could acknowledge existence and creationism.

Also, along this example, deities could be either similar in forms as each person like a zygote to a body cell. Or the conglomerate of a whole greater being making up all cells (aka humanity).

Thoughts?
Obscuris vera involvens (Truth is enveloped in obscurity). Sola fide.
Mason0612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:35:15 PM
At 7/27/2010 2:31:57 PM, Mia_Iris wrote:
If we consider the human body, if each cell could ask who their creator is what would be the answer?

However, it is not possible. Each cell in the human body has different, designated functions. Only the brain cells combined could acknowledge existence of the greater, whole self.

The answer and origin to the creation of all these random cells are the zygote from the union of parent cells.

Consider this as a microcosmic analogy of people. In that sense only, more intelligent people or those with specified intellectual functions could acknowledge existence and creationism.

Also, along this example, deities could be either similar in forms as each person like a zygote to a body cell. Or the conglomerate of a whole greater being making up all cells (aka humanity).

Thoughts?

Yes, I think you're right about the cells and zygotes. We can observe the anatomy and the functions of each part. No biologist has ever witnessed a presence of a deity in the body or the cause of the body, so as far as we know, the human anatomy just IS, not created by a deity.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:17:09 PM

Thoughts?

Yea, you could do with some.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mia_Iris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 4:14:44 PM
At 7/27/2010 3:17:09 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Thoughts?

Ad hominem is not the way to go unless you are referring to my inability to take a stance for science or religion. But my premise here is to show that science can correlate or complement with spirituality.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 4:30:16 PM

Thoughts?

Sure. The same way that people with specific mental diseases, can acknowledge the invisible lepricons that exist amongst us. Doesnt mean its true. Its possible for a large group of people to suffer from a shared delusion, which is none too obvious when looking at, for example, death cults. Jim Jones convinced over 900 people to a suicide pact. Clearly these people acknowledged something that the rest of us are oblivious to. Doesnt make it true, though.

If youre going to label Humanity as God, okay, go ahead. I dont find any use for it though, as we already ave a word for Humanity, that is, humanity. It is as useless as claiming that this coffee cup is God.

And by the way, there is a negative correlation between smart people and religious belief.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 4:31:54 PM
At 7/27/2010 4:14:44 PM, Mia_Iris wrote:
Ad hominem is not the way to go unless you are referring to my inability to take a stance for science or religion. But my premise here is to show that science can correlate or complement with spirituality.

First off, correlation does not prove causation. And secondly, science complements spirituality, just as cars compliment Venus. In other words, they dont.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 4:34:16 PM

Thoughts?

Your original post was an ad hominem wasn't it? And you failed to draw such a correlation.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mia_Iris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 4:47:42 PM
At 7/27/2010 4:30:16 PM, tkubok wrote:

Thoughts?

Sure. The same way that people with specific mental diseases, can acknowledge the invisible lepricons that exist amongst us. Doesnt mean its true. Its possible for a large group of people to suffer from a shared delusion, which is none too obvious when looking at, for example, death cults. Jim Jones convinced over 900 people to a suicide pact. Clearly these people acknowledged something that the rest of us are oblivious to. Doesnt make it true, though.

If youre going to label Humanity as God, okay, go ahead. I dont find any use for it though, as we already ave a word for Humanity, that is, humanity. It is as useless as claiming that this coffee cup is God.

And by the way, there is a negative correlation between smart people and religious belief.

That negative correlation is irrelevant to the reflection of intelligence since intelligence can encompass many other factors including education which requires a certain social-economical means.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com...

If you can derive that atheists tend to be more intelligent than those that follow a collective religion, perhaps that is more significant.

Also, if intelligent design could be an accepted concept, wouldn't that suggest some sort of intellectual hierarchy in regards to intelligence?
Mia_Iris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 4:49:17 PM
At 7/27/2010 4:34:16 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Thoughts?

Your original post was an ad hominem wasn't it? And you failed to draw such a correlation.

No, I simply thought of the microcosmic, metaphsyical structure of the human body.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 5:26:17 PM
At 7/27/2010 4:49:17 PM, Mia_Iris wrote:
At 7/27/2010 4:34:16 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Thoughts?

No, I simply thought of the microcosmic, metaphsyical structure of the human body.

No, you sort to draw a microcosm into a wider example of a totally diferent context. You have not shown a metaphysical structure of anything.

I perceived the stuf in bold as an attempted attack on atheists and such like but nevermind.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 5:30:46 PM
At 7/27/2010 4:47:42 PM, Mia_Iris wrote:
That negative correlation is irrelevant to the reflection of intelligence since intelligence can encompass many other factors including education which requires a certain social-economical means.
No no, its very relevant. People who disbelief the existance of the supernatural are those that are capable of applying reason and logic, and only those who have striven to learn this, can do so. Sure, education has something to do with this, but i wouldnt mind a bit if i were to say that someone who graduated university is more intelligent than a high school dropout.

If you can derive that atheists tend to be more intelligent than those that follow a collective religion, perhaps that is more significant.

Correlation implies a large group, though. You would never correlate individuals. Thats absurd.

Also, if intelligent design could be an accepted concept, wouldn't that suggest some sort of intellectual hierarchy in regards to intelligence?

Well, first off, there already exists a sort of intellectual heirarchy even without Intelligent design. I am more intelligent and capable of deep thought, than a cockroach.
Mia_Iris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 7:02:10 PM
First off, correlation does not prove causation. And secondly, science complements spirituality, just as cars compliment Venus. In other words, they dont.

That brings me to wonder why cars are named after planets, what's the correlation there?