Jump to topic:

Dawkin's Scale

Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:43:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I came across this in another forum and thought it would be interesting somewhat.
Use the Dawkins scale:

1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'
3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'
5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'
6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

So where do you rank yourself on the Dawkin's scale?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:45:18 PM
I think this has been posted before, but still good. I am a six, defacto atheist.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:46:34 PM
At 7/27/2010 2:43:33 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
I came across this in another forum and thought it would be interesting somewhat.
Use the Dawkins scale:

1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'
3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'
5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'
6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

It entirely depends upon the definition of God being used. I don't have a personal definition of God. But based on the conventional definition in most major religions I would be a 7 because I see the characteristics describing it to be contradictory and paradoxical.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:47:33 PM
De-facto, leaning towards strong.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:47:50 PM
At 7/27/2010 2:46:34 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Use the Dawkins scale:

It entirely depends upon the definition of God being used. I don't have a personal definition of God. But based on the conventional definition in most major religions I would be a 7 because I see the characteristics describing it to be contradictory and paradoxical.

If I were proved wrong I would immediately become a 4.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 2:48:03 PM
At 7/27/2010 2:47:33 PM, Korashk wrote:
De-facto, leaning towards strong.

Woops, atheist
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:02:31 PM
I think its a little too vague.

Whether or not you are an atheist, can be solved with a simple question. Do you believe that God exists? Yes, or not yes.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:05:20 PM
Why is everybody neglecting that it depends on what religion's definition of God we're going by?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:15:39 PM
At 7/27/2010 3:05:20 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Why is everybody neglecting that it depends on what religion's definition of God we're going by?

Because we don't have to over analyse everything to the point of foolishness. Language is a consensus, sometimes we can wing it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:17:35 PM

Would there be an alternate definition, or your own personal understanding of God, that would change your number?
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:18:12 PM

That wouldn't seem to matter. I assume that since it's just general 'theism', the person answering the question decides the religion. A Christian and a Jew could both be number two.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:19:07 PM
At 7/27/2010 3:15:39 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Because we don't have to over analyse everything to the point of foolishness. Language is a consensus, sometimes we can wing it.

Usually you would be right. But the definition of God has very little consensus.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:19:58 PM
At 7/27/2010 3:17:35 PM, innomen wrote:

Would there be an alternate definition, or your own personal understanding of God, that would change your number?

Possibly. If not for me, than for someone else certainly.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:22:02 PM
At 7/27/2010 3:11:31 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Exactly 5.8.

He he. Haven't calculated to such an extensive degree myself but I reckon I'm in a similar area.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:22:12 PM
At 7/27/2010 3:18:12 PM, Denote wrote:

That wouldn't seem to matter. I assume that since it's just general 'theism', the person answering the question decides the religion. A Christian and a Jew could both be number two.

But that makes the whole thing fall apart. We need a definition that's relatively the same. If your definition of toast is..well, toast..and mine is a unicorn, we have a huge problem there in deciphering whether or not we believe in toast.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 3:36:24 PM
At 7/27/2010 3:22:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/27/2010 3:18:12 PM, Denote wrote:

But that makes the whole thing fall apart. We need a definition that's relatively the same. If your definition of toast is..well, toast..and mine is a unicorn, we have a huge problem there in deciphering whether or not we believe in toast.

It doesn't. There are many religions and as such, different ideas of God. The scale just so happens to be about personal conviction about "God", whatever religion they may be a part of.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 4:57:33 PM
At 7/27/2010 3:22:02 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/27/2010 3:11:31 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Exactly 5.8.

He he. Haven't calculated to such an extensive degree myself but I reckon I'm in a similar area.

me too. i'd say even closer to 5.
signature
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 5:04:38 PM
Use the Dawkins scale:

A "5" for me - Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical.'
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 7:55:04 PM
Use the Dawkins scale:

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 8:53:08 PM
I'm a 7.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 11:18:03 PM
Ten.

OK I know the scale goes to seven but I am off the scale as far as this matter is concerned.

Seven is inappropriate in my opinion because it draws a comparison with one, for me there is no comparison needed or of any value because my conviction is absolute, whereas there is no irrefutable evidence that Jung was as firm in his mind as I am in mine.

What does rankle me is the use of percentages when expressing probabilities. It's an irritation similar to people speaking of a thing that is unusual being "quite unique".