Total Posts:49|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is God an Atheist?

dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?
Geogeer
Posts: 4,276
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 10:53:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

Lol... oh wait you're serious.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 11:01:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

God hasn't taught me anything beyond what we experience in this virtual reality program He designed and created. So I don't know His circumstances of where He came from.

However, it doesn't hurt at all to contemplate where He came from. I have done it quite a bit this past year even though I've known Him for over 35 years now.

Think of the movie, "The Wizard of Oz" when Dorothy's dog pulled open the curtain that was hiding the manipulator of a machine where all dreams were being made.

I met a chosen believer who told me that He began believing in a Creator after watching that movie.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 4:58:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

Hahaha! Are you technically an atheist if you think you are a god?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 6:37:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 4:58:08 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

Hahaha! Are you technically an atheist if you think you are a god?

Yep. That's not belief in a higher power. God is not a god to himself.
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 6:38:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 10:53:50 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

Lol... oh wait you're serious.

So ... no answer?
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 9:14:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM, TN05 wrote:
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.

That is not God speaking, so your 'evidence' is rejected.

God may think of himself as a god to humans but he himself does not have a god. That makes him an atheist.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 9:54:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 9:14:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM, TN05 wrote:
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.

That is not God speaking, so your 'evidence' is rejected.

Have you even read Exodus? Even the slightest bit of research - looking at the previous verse - would prove you false.

Exodus 20:1 - "And God spoke all these words".

As a brief explanation, Exodus 20 is no the giving of the tablets, but God directly giving the Ten Commandments to the people through his voice. However, the people are afraid, and do not hear him. God later gives the Ten Commandments again, this time on the two stone tablets.

God may think of himself as a god to humans but he himself does not have a god. That makes him an atheist.

Not according to the dictionary, no. What you've done is create an absurd definition, and then used it to attack something. That is absurd.
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 10:10:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 9:54:37 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:14:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM, TN05 wrote:
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.

That is not God speaking, so your 'evidence' is rejected.

Have you even read Exodus? Even the slightest bit of research - looking at the previous verse - would prove you false.

Exodus 20:1 - "And God spoke all these words".

Don't be silly. Since when does someone claiming something to be true make it true? Lol.

As a brief explanation, Exodus 20 is no the giving of the tablets, but God directly giving the Ten Commandments to the people through his voice. However, the people are afraid, and do not hear him. God later gives the Ten Commandments again, this time on the two stone tablets.

The whole of Exodus is a pack of lies. There is no historical support for 99% of it.

God may think of himself as a god to humans but he himself does not have a god. That makes him an atheist.

Not according to the dictionary, no. What you've done is create an absurd definition, and then used it to attack something. That is absurd.

Not at all. It's implicit in the definition of God that he is a greater being than his subjects who worship him. Therefore a god to God would have to be a higher power in order for God not to be classified as an atheist. He couldn't use his belief in himself to dodge the accusation.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 10:33:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 10:10:58 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:54:37 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:14:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM, TN05 wrote:
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.

That is not God speaking, so your 'evidence' is rejected.

Have you even read Exodus? Even the slightest bit of research - looking at the previous verse - would prove you false.

Exodus 20:1 - "And God spoke all these words".

Don't be silly. Since when does someone claiming something to be true make it true? Lol.

If we're assuming God exists, as your argument requires, his word would be assumed true, no?

As a brief explanation, Exodus 20 is no the giving of the tablets, but God directly giving the Ten Commandments to the people through his voice. However, the people are afraid, and do not hear him. God later gives the Ten Commandments again, this time on the two stone tablets.

The whole of Exodus is a pack of lies. There is no historical support for 99% of it.

Sure...

God may think of himself as a god to humans but he himself does not have a god. That makes him an atheist.

Not according to the dictionary, no. What you've done is create an absurd definition, and then used it to attack something. That is absurd.

Not at all. It's implicit in the definition of God that he is a greater being than his subjects who worship him. Therefore a god to God would have to be a higher power in order for God not to be classified as an atheist. He couldn't use his belief in himself to dodge the accusation.

Yes he could. Your 'logic' here makes no sense.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 10:34:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 10:16:26 PM, dee-em wrote:
I guess it is settled.

Christians worship an Atheist.

I guess it is settled.

Dee-em is a willfully ignorant bufoon.
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 11:28:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 10:33:39 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 10:10:58 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:54:37 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:14:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM, TN05 wrote:
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.

That is not God speaking, so your 'evidence' is rejected.

Have you even read Exodus? Even the slightest bit of research - looking at the previous verse - would prove you false.

Exodus 20:1 - "And God spoke all these words".

Don't be silly. Since when does someone claiming something to be true make it true? Lol.

If we're assuming God exists, as your argument requires, his word would be assumed true, no?

No. You would still have to prove that it was his word. I won't accept it on some anonymous goat herder's say-so.

As a brief explanation, Exodus 20 is no the giving of the tablets, but God directly giving the Ten Commandments to the people through his voice. However, the people are afraid, and do not hear him. God later gives the Ten Commandments again, this time on the two stone tablets.

The whole of Exodus is a pack of lies. There is no historical support for 99% of it.

Sure...

God may think of himself as a god to humans but he himself does not have a god. That makes him an atheist.

Not according to the dictionary, no. What you've done is create an absurd definition, and then used it to attack something. That is absurd.

Not at all. It's implicit in the definition of God that he is a greater being than his subjects who worship him. Therefore a god to God would have to be a higher power in order for God not to be classified as an atheist. He couldn't use his belief in himself to dodge the accusation.

Yes he could. Your 'logic' here makes no sense.

Then show me where I am wrong. You believe in yourself. Such a belief is not exceptional in any way. It's the same for God. Just believing in himself is nothing special. You can't attach a label of theism to that. It would be alarming if he didn't have a belief in his own existence!
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 12:29:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

If God exists, God is the greatest being. Surely God knows he exists, thus he knows that God exists. Such as follows, he would be a theist, as he knows that there exists a God.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 12:51:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 12:29:51 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

If God exists, God is the greatest being.

How does God know that? How is he sure there is no greater being?

Surely God knows he exists, thus he knows that God exists.

He knows he exists for sure, but he can't be certain there is no greater god.

Such as follows, he would be a theist, as he knows that there exists a God.

Your premises are flawed so the conclusion does not follow.
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 8:27:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 6:37:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 4:58:08 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

Hahaha! Are you technically an atheist if you think you are a god?

Yep. That's not belief in a higher power. God is not a god to himself.

I disagree, if god is all powerful he can be a god to himself.
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 8:29:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 8:27:11 AM, drpiek wrote:
At 4/10/2015 6:37:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 4:58:08 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

Hahaha! Are you technically an atheist if you think you are a god?

Yep. That's not belief in a higher power. God is not a god to himself.

I disagree, if god is all powerful he can be a god to himself.

How can god know that he is all powerful?
drpiek
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 8:32:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 8:29:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/11/2015 8:27:11 AM, drpiek wrote:
At 4/10/2015 6:37:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 4:58:08 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

Hahaha! Are you technically an atheist if you think you are a god?

Yep. That's not belief in a higher power. God is not a god to himself.

I disagree, if god is all powerful he can be a god to himself.

How can god know that he is all powerful?

Because God is the sum of all things, Nothing exists outside of God. Do you know who you are?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 8:36:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 9:54:37 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:14:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM, TN05 wrote:
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.

That is not God speaking, so your 'evidence' is rejected.

Have you even read Exodus? Even the slightest bit of research -

"Despite being regarded in Judaism as the primary factual historical narrative of the origin of the religion, culture and ethnicity, Exodus is now accepted by scholars as having been compiled in the 8th"7th centuries BCE from stories dating possibly as far back as the 13th century BCE, with further polishing in the 6th"5th centuries BCE, as a theological and political manifesto to unite the Israelites in the thenR08;current battle for territory against Egypt.[2]

Archaeologists from the 19th century onward were actually surprised not to find any evidence whatsoever for the events of Exodus. By the 1970s, archaeologists had largely given up regarding the Bible as any use at all as a field guide. "

http://rationalwiki.org...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 8:41:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

You're trolling, right? All that's needed to be to be a theist is:

"Theists believe that reality's ultimate principle is God"an omnipotent, omniscient, goodness that is the creative ground of everything other than itself. Monotheism is the view that there is only one such God"

http://plato.stanford.edu...

If God is omniscient and knows all truths then by definition all of his beliefs are true - including the belief that he is God where God means what is explicated up there.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 10:36:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 8:32:16 AM, drpiek wrote:
At 4/11/2015 8:29:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/11/2015 8:27:11 AM, drpiek wrote:
At 4/10/2015 6:37:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 4:58:08 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

Hahaha! Are you technically an atheist if you think you are a god?

Yep. That's not belief in a higher power. God is not a god to himself.

I disagree, if god is all powerful he can be a god to himself.

How can god know that he is all powerful?

Because God is the sum of all things, Nothing exists outside of God. Do you know who you are?

That's how you define god, but how does god know that nothing exists outside of him? You haven't answered my question.

I know who I am. How is that relevant?
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 10:41:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 8:41:26 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

You're trolling, right? All that's needed to be to be a theist is:

"Theists believe that reality's ultimate principle is God"an omnipotent, omniscient, goodness that is the creative ground of everything other than itself. Monotheism is the view that there is only one such God"

http://plato.stanford.edu...

If God is omniscient and knows all truths then by definition all of his beliefs are true - including the belief that he is God where God means what is explicated up there.

You're giving me human definitions of what god is imagined to be. I'm looking at it from god's point of view. How can god be certain of the attributes you assign to him?
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 11:12:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 8:43:04 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, this post should go in the hall of shame.

Why? Yes it started as a bit of whimsy but I'm really warming to this idea of God being an Atheist.

Btw, I'm going with this definition of God.

God,
noun
(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

I have no problem with God being supreme with respect to the universe and everything in it. My problem is how God could be certain of absolute supremacy. I fail to see it. There is, after all, the question and mystery of his own existence. God needs an explanation for that. If he can't explain it then he should be open to something greater than himself. Failing that, he must be described as an atheist.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 12:43:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 8:36:00 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:54:37 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:14:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM, TN05 wrote:
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.

That is not God speaking, so your 'evidence' is rejected.

Have you even read Exodus? Even the slightest bit of research -

"Despite being regarded in Judaism as the primary factual historical narrative of the origin of the religion, culture and ethnicity, Exodus is now accepted by scholars as having been compiled in the 8th"7th centuries BCE from stories dating possibly as far back as the 13th century BCE, with further polishing in the 6th"5th centuries BCE, as a theological and political manifesto to unite the Israelites in the thenR08;current battle for territory against Egypt.[2]

Archaeologists from the 19th century onward were actually surprised not to find any evidence whatsoever for the events of Exodus. By the 1970s, archaeologists had largely given up regarding the Bible as any use at all as a field guide. "

http://rationalwiki.org...

lol at you trying to us Rationalwiki as a source

There isn't a lot of evidence for Exodus, no, except we know that a people known as 'Israel were in Egypt sometime prior to 1000 BC and we know that the oldest passage in the Bible, the Song of the Sea in Exodus, dates back to the 9th or 10th century BC. The idea you can entirely discount the Bible is silly. I recommend an A&E series called 'Mysteries of the Bible'. It examines both the historical and spiritual context of Bible stories. There are many, many, many Bible passages and stories with firm historical context.

And the fact some scholars (not all, possibly not even a majority) hold to the JDEP hypothesis means nothing. There has not been a single shred of tangible, physical evidence supporting the hypothesis. Nobody has found any trace of the supposed J, D, E, or P documents.

But moreover this is dodging the point. In order for dee-em's argument to make any sort of sense, we have to assume the Christian God exists; we would also, then, logically assume that his word is accurate (it's very difficult to argue any other way). Accordingly, his argument can't hold up.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 12:49:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2015 11:28:47 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 10:33:39 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 10:10:58 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:54:37 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:14:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM, TN05 wrote:
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.

That is not God speaking, so your 'evidence' is rejected.

Have you even read Exodus? Even the slightest bit of research - looking at the previous verse - would prove you false.

Exodus 20:1 - "And God spoke all these words".

Don't be silly. Since when does someone claiming something to be true make it true? Lol.

If we're assuming God exists, as your argument requires, his word would be assumed true, no?

No. You would still have to prove that it was his word. I won't accept it on some anonymous goat herder's say-so.

I don't think any logical person can claim the Bible was written by goat herders.

As a brief explanation, Exodus 20 is no the giving of the tablets, but God directly giving the Ten Commandments to the people through his voice. However, the people are afraid, and do not hear him. God later gives the Ten Commandments again, this time on the two stone tablets.

The whole of Exodus is a pack of lies. There is no historical support for 99% of it.

Sure...

God may think of himself as a god to humans but he himself does not have a god. That makes him an atheist.

Not according to the dictionary, no. What you've done is create an absurd definition, and then used it to attack something. That is absurd.

Not at all. It's implicit in the definition of God that he is a greater being than his subjects who worship him. Therefore a god to God would have to be a higher power in order for God not to be classified as an atheist. He couldn't use his belief in himself to dodge the accusation.

Yes he could. Your 'logic' here makes no sense.

Then show me where I am wrong. You believe in yourself. Such a belief is not exceptional in any way. It's the same for God. Just believing in himself is nothing special. You can't attach a label of theism to that. It would be alarming if he didn't have a belief in his own existence!

You are wrong because your argument requires you to invent a definition of 'atheist' that makes no sense. Hardly a logical thing to do.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 1:37:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 12:43:41 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/11/2015 8:36:00 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:54:37 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:14:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM, TN05 wrote:
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.

That is not God speaking, so your 'evidence' is rejected.

Have you even read Exodus? Even the slightest bit of research -

"Despite being regarded in Judaism as the primary factual historical narrative of the origin of the religion, culture and ethnicity, Exodus is now accepted by scholars as having been compiled in the 8th"7th centuries BCE from stories dating possibly as far back as the 13th century BCE, with further polishing in the 6th"5th centuries BCE, as a theological and political manifesto to unite the Israelites in the thenR08;current battle for territory against Egypt.[2]

Archaeologists from the 19th century onward were actually surprised not to find any evidence whatsoever for the events of Exodus. By the 1970s, archaeologists had largely given up regarding the Bible as any use at all as a field guide. "

http://rationalwiki.org...

lol at you trying to us Rationalwiki as a source

Then, it should be a simple matter to refute what's written there with your sources. I await your scientific refutation.

There isn't a lot of evidence for Exodus, no, except we know that a people known as 'Israel were in Egypt sometime prior to 1000 BC and we know that the oldest passage in the Bible, the Song of the Sea in Exodus, dates back to the 9th or 10th century BC. The idea you can entirely discount the Bible is silly. I recommend an A&E series called 'Mysteries of the Bible'. It examines both the historical and spiritual context of Bible stories. There are many, many, many Bible passages and stories with firm historical context.

BWAHAHAHA! A television show? LOL!!! Now, that is hilarious.

And the fact some scholars (not all, possibly not even a majority) hold to the JDEP hypothesis means nothing. There has not been a single shred of tangible, physical evidence supporting the hypothesis. Nobody has found any trace of the supposed J, D, E, or P documents.

But moreover this is dodging the point. In order for dee-em's argument to make any sort of sense, we have to assume the Christian God exists; we would also, then, logically assume that his word is accurate (it's very difficult to argue any other way). Accordingly, his argument can't hold up.

Your argument is far worse. It's a joke.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 4:27:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 12:51:50 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/11/2015 12:29:51 AM, Pase66 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:47:00 AM, dee-em wrote:
Does God believe in a being greater than himself who created everything including him? If not, then he is a practicing atheist. How can he then be critical of atheists here on Earth who reject his existence based on lack of evidence?

If God exists, God is the greatest being.

How does God know that? How is he sure there is no greater being?


God is omniscient, so he would know.

Surely God knows he exists, thus he knows that God exists.

He knows he exists for sure, but he can't be certain there is no greater god.


Again, he would know, since he is omniscient.

Such as follows, he would be a theist, as he knows that there exists a God.

Your premises are flawed so the conclusion does not follow.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 8:32:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2015 12:49:09 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 11:28:47 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 10:33:39 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 10:10:58 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:54:37 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 4/10/2015 9:14:19 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 4/10/2015 8:58:50 PM, TN05 wrote:
Atheist - A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Exodus 20:2 - "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

Answer: No, God is not an atheist.

That is not God speaking, so your 'evidence' is rejected.

Have you even read Exodus? Even the slightest bit of research - looking at the previous verse - would prove you false.

Exodus 20:1 - "And God spoke all these words".

Don't be silly. Since when does someone claiming something to be true make it true? Lol.

If we're assuming God exists, as your argument requires, his word would be assumed true, no?

No. You would still have to prove that it was his word. I won't accept it on some anonymous goat herder's say-so.

I don't think any logical person can claim the Bible was written by goat herders.

By men who lived in communities which tended goats and other farm animals to sustain their existence. Is that better?

As a brief explanation, Exodus 20 is no the giving of the tablets, but God directly giving the Ten Commandments to the people through his voice. However, the people are afraid, and do not hear him. God later gives the Ten Commandments again, this time on the two stone tablets.

The whole of Exodus is a pack of lies. There is no historical support for 99% of it.

Sure...

God may think of himself as a god to humans but he himself does not have a god. That makes him an atheist.

Not according to the dictionary, no. What you've done is create an absurd definition, and then used it to attack something. That is absurd.

Not at all. It's implicit in the definition of God that he is a greater being than his subjects who worship him. Therefore a god to God would have to be a higher power in order for God not to be classified as an atheist. He couldn't use his belief in himself to dodge the accusation.

Yes he could. Your 'logic' here makes no sense.

Then show me where I am wrong. You believe in yourself. Such a belief is not exceptional in any way. It's the same for God. Just believing in himself is nothing special. You can't attach a label of theism to that. It would be alarming if he didn't have a belief in his own existence!

You are wrong because your argument requires you to invent a definition of 'atheist' that makes no sense. Hardly a logical thing to do.

It's perfectly logical. You are a theist because you believe in a being far greater than yourself to whom you owe your existence. God is an atheist because he (presumably) doesn't believe in a being far greater than himself to whom he owes his existence. What's illogical about that?