Should childhood indoctrination...?

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:15:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Be punished by law as child-abuse?

And where is the line drawn that makes it indoctrination?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:18:34 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:15:53 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Be punished by law as child-abuse?

Yes.

And where is the line drawn that makes it indoctrination?

When parents or other people in charge of children tell them they must believe this way or they will forever burn in Hell, stuff like that.

Telling kids what you believe is okay, scaring them to believe the same thing, not okay.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:26:51 PM
Telling your kids Christianity\slam\Buddhism\Whatever is infallible and telling them not to challenge it is indoctrination. Showing them views and allowing them to question them is not.

Should it be a crime? Yes.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:26:52 PM
The problem is what's "criminal indoctrination?" Some say it's hardcore Evangelicals, some say it's any religion, others will say it's godless atheists...where do you draw the line?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:27:23 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:25:10 PM, badger wrote:
obviously not. like lovelife said, telling your children what you believe is ok.

Yea, telling your children about your beliefs is fine, but actually brainwashing and indoctrinating them is not. Same goes for all you non-religious folk out there!
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:28:36 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:26:51 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Telling your kids Christianity\slam\Buddhism\Whatever is infallible and telling them not to challenge it is indoctrination. Showing them views and allowing them to question them is not.

you can't force your beliefs on someone.

Should it be a crime? Yes.
signature
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:29:28 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:27:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
obviously not. like lovelife said, telling your children what you believe is ok.

Yea, telling your children about your beliefs is fine, but actually brainwashing and indoctrinating them is not. Same goes for all you non-religious folk out there!

Sure, but the problem is just that: where is the line between "telling your children about your beliefs" and "brainwashing" and "indoctrination"? And even MORE important: WHO get's to decide?
WOS
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:29:48 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:29:28 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

Sure, but the problem is just that: where is the line between "telling your children about your beliefs" and "brainwashing" and "indoctrination"? And even MORE important: WHO get's to decide?

about to say it.
signature
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:31:32 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:29:28 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

That could be complicated...
Mason0612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:32:34 PM
Ya, the question of where do you draw the line is tough. Personally, I would teach a kid not to believe everything they hear, and to treat others as they would want to be treated.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:33:15 PM
That's why I say, pick one POV and force everyone to agree!
WOS
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:34:43 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:30:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
By what process would criminal indoctrination be specifically identified?

Forced to work in or support in anyway, a political party, cause or doctrine? Being taught a political doctrine is superior to others...Oh wait, wrong thread category.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:36:57 PM
I would teach the kids what I believe as a "godless atheist" but also show some religious texts from different religions that back up how I feel, and let the kid decide to be a godless atheist or a buddhist or Christian, or Muslim or anything that kid wants to be. Of course I wouldn't be happy if they found a religion that goes completely against my beliefs, or if they try and force people into it, but its really their choice.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:37:00 PM
Perhaps a mandatory anti-indoctrination class which simply explains to children that their parents MAY be wrong and that there are other alternatives is sufficient enough.

I didn't even know there were things other than Christianity for a large portion of my childhood.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Mason0612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:38:41 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:37:00 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Perhaps a mandatory anti-indoctrination class which simply explains to children that their parents MAY be wrong and that there are other alternatives is sufficient enough.

I didn't even know there were things other than Christianity for a large portion of my childhood.

I am the same way. I was raised a Catholic. School, church, friends, and teachings were all catholic. I didn't know there was much other than that until I was about 14.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:38:56 PM

Seriously? There are places like that in California?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:39:17 PM

i like that idea actually.
signature
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:39:22 PM

Same. I knew about Judism too tho. Then vaguely learned about Islam a few years ago. Got in sh*t for finding out about atheism and satanism and wicca a couple years ago.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:39:30 PM
But isn't that indoctrinating them into anti-indoctrination? I certainly wouldn't want my kids getting indoctrinated into that!

Sh!t, I didn't even know that Santa Clause was my parents for a large portion of mine! But we both turned out ok, right?
WOS
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:41:29 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:38:56 PM, innomen wrote:

Seriously? There are places like that in California?

LMAO yes, California is a lot more conservative than people seem to think. They voted down prop 8 after all. I pretty much live in the most conservative Christian town in California too.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:41:44 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:36:57 PM, lovelife wrote:
I would teach the kids what I believe as a "godless atheist" but also show some religious texts from different religions that back up how I feel, and let the kid decide to be a godless atheist or a buddhist or Christian, or Muslim or anything that kid wants to be. Of course I wouldn't be happy if they found a religion that goes completely against my beliefs, or if they try and force people into it, but its really their choice.

That's pretty much how I feel too. I will tell them about my views, but also allow them to explore other views as well. In fact, I'll encourage them to read the Bible, the Qur'an, the Buddhist scriptures, and every other religious scripture so they can decide what they truly believe. Heck, whenever my friends invited me to go to church I would go because my mom would encourage it to explore different beliefs. Plus, I was curious myself. Of course in the end I ended up not being Christian. Haha.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:42:28 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:39:30 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
But isn't that indoctrinating them into anti-indoctrination? I certainly wouldn't want my kids getting indoctrinated into that!

lol, it's preferable to them growing up to become suicide bombers though.

Sh!t, I didn't even know that Santa Clause was my parents for a large portion of mine! But we both turned out ok, right?

i dunno. i think god kinda fvcked me up a small bit.
signature
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:42:45 PM

You're trolling.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:43:51 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:42:28 PM, badger wrote:

lol, it's preferable to them growing up to become suicide bombers though.
True, but then those aren't the only 2 options.

i dunno. i think god kinda fvcked me up a small bit.
Really? Sure it wasn't the "other guy" that f-you up?
WOS
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:43:53 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:42:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:

You're trolling.

he's not really.
signature
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 2:44:27 PM
At 7/28/2010 2:28:36 PM, badger wrote:
At 7/28/2010 2:26:51 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

you can't force your beliefs on someone.

Yeah, which is why you presented multiple viewpoints and allow them to challenge it.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.