Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Religious Need Argument

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:30:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Just came across this one again, so I thought I'd post it for laughs. :P

PreacherAndy18000 said:

"Religious need argument

1. every natural innate need has a real object that can fulfill it
2. human beings have a natural innate need for some kind of spirituality
3. therefore god must exist"

http://www.debate.org...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:35:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:30:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just came across this one again, so I thought I'd post it for laughs. :P

PreacherAndy18000 said:

"Religious need argument

1. every natural innate need has a real object that can fulfill it
2. human beings have a natural innate need for some kind of spirituality
3. therefore god must exist"

http://www.debate.org...

I posted that quote on my blog because it's the second most incredible theist fail I've ever seen.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:35:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:32:03 PM, badger wrote:
is it that you've nothing else to talk about or do you just like feeling all high and mighty?

Um, actually, I think it's just a funny argument. I'm not at all implying that all arguments for God are silly. In fact, people like Lane Craig have highly respectable and sometimes better arguments for God than there is against.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:39:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:35:34 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:30:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just came across this one again, so I thought I'd post it for laughs. :P

PreacherAndy18000 said:

"Religious need argument

1. every natural innate need has a real object that can fulfill it
2. human beings have a natural innate need for some kind of spirituality
3. therefore god must exist"

http://www.debate.org...

I posted that quote on my blog because it's the second most incredible theist fail I've ever seen.

What do you think the first biggest fail is?
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:40:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:35:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:32:03 PM, badger wrote:
is it that you've nothing else to talk about or do you just like feeling all high and mighty?

Um, actually, I think it's just a funny argument. I'm not at all implying that all arguments for God are silly. In fact, people like Lane Craig have highly respectable and sometimes better arguments for God than there is against.

but aren't you a strong atheist? if you're so sure then how come you keep reading this stuff and bringing it up?
signature
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:42:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:39:47 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:35:34 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:30:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just came across this one again, so I thought I'd post it for laughs. :P

PreacherAndy18000 said:

"Religious need argument

1. every natural innate need has a real object that can fulfill it
2. human beings have a natural innate need for some kind of spirituality
3. therefore god must exist"

http://www.debate.org...

I posted that quote on my blog because it's the second most incredible theist fail I've ever seen.

What do you think the first biggest fail is?

"The best evidence we have for God is that God himself said he exists"

Wasn't on here. Some creationist website.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:43:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:40:54 PM, badger wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:35:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:32:03 PM, badger wrote:
is it that you've nothing else to talk about or do you just like feeling all high and mighty?

Um, actually, I think it's just a funny argument. I'm not at all implying that all arguments for God are silly. In fact, people like Lane Craig have highly respectable and sometimes better arguments for God than there is against.

but aren't you a strong atheist? if you're so sure then how come you keep reading this stuff and bringing it up?

a hobby maybe.. nvm me. i'm just fairly tired.
signature
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:44:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:42:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:

"The best evidence we have for God is that God himself said he exists"

Wasn't on here. Some creationist website.

Lmao! How did God say that? Through the Bible? :P
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:45:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:44:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:42:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:

"The best evidence we have for God is that God himself said he exists"

Wasn't on here. Some creationist website.

Lmao! How did God say that? Through the Bible? :P

Exactly.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:47:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:45:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:44:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:42:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:

"The best evidence we have for God is that God himself said he exists"

Wasn't on here. Some creationist website.

Lmao! How did God say that? Through the Bible? :P

Exactly.

Lol, the Bible doesn't really prove anything.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:48:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:40:54 PM, badger wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:35:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:32:03 PM, badger wrote:
is it that you've nothing else to talk about or do you just like feeling all high and mighty?

Um, actually, I think it's just a funny argument. I'm not at all implying that all arguments for God are silly. In fact, people like Lane Craig have highly respectable and sometimes better arguments for God than there is against.

but aren't you a strong atheist? if you're so sure then how come you keep reading this stuff and bringing it up?

Strong Atheists aren't allowed to enter the debate or evaluate both sides of the argument? You keep trying to paint me as arrogant and intolerant, when actually I find many philosophical Theists to provide very profound and praise-worthy arguments.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:50:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:47:08 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, the Bible doesn't really prove anything.

Actually, in the field of Theology and inter-Christian debate, the Bible can be legitimately used as proof for many things.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:51:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:50:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:47:08 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, the Bible doesn't really prove anything.

Actually, in the field of Theology and inter-Christian debate, the Bible can be legitimately used as proof for many things.

Well it certainly can't 100% prove the existence of God. :P No scripture can.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:55:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:48:30 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:40:54 PM, badger wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:35:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:32:03 PM, badger wrote:
is it that you've nothing else to talk about or do you just like feeling all high and mighty?

Um, actually, I think it's just a funny argument. I'm not at all implying that all arguments for God are silly. In fact, people like Lane Craig have highly respectable and sometimes better arguments for God than there is against.

but aren't you a strong atheist? if you're so sure then how come you keep reading this stuff and bringing it up?

Strong Atheists aren't allowed to enter the debate or evaluate both sides of the argument? You keep trying to paint me as arrogant and intolerant, when actually I find many philosophical Theists to provide very profound and praise-worthy arguments.

i'm trying to do no such thing. i just acknowledged that it might be just a hobby.. but it's just one that i don't understand whatsoever.
signature
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 5:59:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:47:08 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:45:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:44:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:42:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:

"The best evidence we have for God is that God himself said he exists"

Wasn't on here. Some creationist website.

Lmao! How did God say that? Through the Bible? :P

Exactly.

Lol, the Bible doesn't really prove anything.

BUT GOD WROTE IT!

How do I know?!

CAUSE IT'S IN THE BIBLE!

Which he wrote!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 6:00:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:51:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:50:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:47:08 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, the Bible doesn't really prove anything.

Actually, in the field of Theology and inter-Christian debate, the Bible can be legitimately used as proof for many things.

Well it certainly can't 100% prove the existence of God. :P No scripture can.

Well, you said it doesn't prove anything, but it can in fact, prove some things.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2010 7:13:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:45:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:44:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:42:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:

"The best evidence we have for God is that God himself said he exists"

Wasn't on here. Some creationist website.

Lmao! How did God say that? Through the Bible? :P

Exactly.

The best answer to that is another circular argument. Fight fire with fire.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 10:26:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:30:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just came across this one again, so I thought I'd post it for laughs. :P

PreacherAndy18000 said:

"Religious need argument

1. every natural innate need has a real object that can fulfill it
2. human beings have a natural innate need for some kind of spirituality
3. therefore god must exist"

http://www.debate.org...

HAHAHA, this is pretty funny :P but yes, it's pretty easy to point out the flaw. The conclusion is incorrect. All this does is prove that spirituality exists. The need is for spirituality, so it proves that spirituality exists. God is not the only thing that fulfills spirituality needs.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 3:24:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/28/2010 5:30:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just came across this one again, so I thought I'd post it for laughs. :P

PreacherAndy18000 said:

"Religious need argument

1. every natural innate need has a real object that can fulfill it
2. human beings have a natural innate need for some kind of spirituality
3. therefore god must exist"

http://www.debate.org...

Mmm.. C.S Lewis stated something similar, something like " I have a longing for something that this world cannot fulfill, therefore I assume it exists elsewhere. "

Christians think of heaven as 'going home'.
The Cross.. the Cross.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 7:15:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/2/2010 3:24:30 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 7/28/2010 5:30:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just came across this one again, so I thought I'd post it for laughs. :P

PreacherAndy18000 said:

"Religious need argument

1. every natural innate need has a real object that can fulfill it
2. human beings have a natural innate need for some kind of spirituality
3. therefore god must exist"

http://www.debate.org...

Mmm.. C.S Lewis stated something similar, something like " I have a longing for something that this world cannot fulfill, therefore I assume it exists elsewhere. "

Christians think of heaven as 'going home'.

Some people call Alabama home.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.