Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Is it right if people reap what they sow?

12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 2:42:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
According to the Bible:

for whatever a man sows, that will he also reap.
Gal. 6:7

What do you think, is it right if people get what they have done to others?

Do you want to get back same things that you have done to others?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 6:28:20 PM
At 4/14/2015 2:42:11 PM, 12_13 wrote:
is it right if people get what they have done to others?

I think it's contextual.

Threatening an eye-for-an-eye or karmic comeuppance makes a fine rule of law in simple communities, such as that of the King Hammurabi, whose Code (dating from around 1754BCE) was the first written to embody such ideas [http://eawc.evansville.edu...]:

195 .If a son strike his father, his hands shall be hewn off.
196. If a man put out the eye of another man, his eye shall be put out.
197. If he break another man's bone, his bone shall be broken. [...]
200. If a man knock out the teeth of his equal, his teeth shall be knocked out.

This is clearly deterrence. It's swift, simple justice easily understood by the illiterate. It's low-cost to execute, suited to people who spend most of their time growing food, and don't have big surpluses to spend on prevention, restitution, rehabilitation or deliberation. And every time you execute a punishment like this, everyone can see immediately that this is a land subject to the rule of law, and that equals are treated equally.

But we are not those people. We're highly literate, highly scientific, have food and energy surpluses and a lot more capacity to reflect on prevention, rehabilitation and restitution, and not just deterrence. So we still use deterrents, but we're better able to balance the other elements of justice.

And socially, I think we're committed to giving people better than they have earned whenever we can. The easiest way to see this is in the way we try and advance the lives of our children. Children certainly deserve no harm, but what makes them deserve better than their parents? They clearly haven't earned it at the time we give it to them; and many children may never repay -- personally or socially -- the extra pains parents and the community invest to advance them.

One answer is that individual children may not deserve better than their parents had, but some children will, and from generation to generation, society as a whole benefits enormously from working this way.

Another is that if we have more than we need, it's wrong not to be generous.

A third is that people often grow into the opportunities presented them; you can't know until you try.

In conclusion, I think what we give depends on part on what we can afford to give. With justice there's always a balance between prevention, deterrence, restitution and rehabilitation, and preferred solutions depend on the magnitude of the problems, our broader priorities, and what resources we have to bring to bear.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 10:54:05 PM
According to the Bible:

But that's the thing we don't live in such a world.

That's why religion uses the after life to balance that out, well if you don't get punished in this life you will in the next.

But then some for of Christianity says, nah your forgiven, you know cause you accept Jesus.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 2:00:50 PM
When people go about seeking their answers for their questions in much the same way that a small child would go about discovering the answers on such concepts as santa, tooth fairy, easter bunny, harry potter magic, pro wrestling and such.

They end up with answers that are vague and subjective as clear understanding is NOT the main goal.

Trying to have FUN while also trying to escape from what ever bothers a persons SELF.

I treat others as I would like to be treated.

I welcome others to try and tease me and tell me to grow up and I don't mind others trying to insult me and call me names as I AM a mature grown up that doesn't like make believe and pretend realities much.

Never did as I was far more interested in the REAL answers that were HIDDEN behind and beyond the illusions of deceptions and lies called good.

Why play dress up, make believe and pretend along with the many when you can be FREE of all the programing and do your own thinking and LIVE in the NOW and ever-after...amen.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 9:00:58 PM
According to the Bible:

The sowing and reaping concept is simply saying there is a consequence for all actions and people ought to think about the consequences before acting foolishly.

When you sow vegetable seeds you expect to get vegetables for that is what vegetable seeds grow naturally. You cannot expect to get anything else. The same applies to any seeds in reality. You reap the harvest of what you have sown. You cannot expect to reap anything else. Is it right to reap "X" when you sow "X" seeds? It makes no difference if people think it is right or wrong. It is what happens naturally.

If you want a certain harvest you need to understand what seeds result in that harvest and plant the right ones, tend the seeds, and wait for the harvest.

The end result of wrong doing is punishment according to the man made law where the punishment supposedly fits the crime.
The end result of doing good is a reward even if the reward is nothing but personal satisfaction for doing good and knowing that good will benefit future generations.

Many act without thinking about the consequences of their actions. Then they blame others when they do not like the end result of their own actions and things don't work out like they imagined and dreamed they would.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 9:13:19 PM
According to the Bible:

The iron born do not sow, yet all they do is reap.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 6:23:22 AM
According to the Bible:

If you don't want to get back the same thing you have done to others, then you shouldn't have done it to them.

However if you think about it that is not actually what the verse is saying.

If you sow a seed, you don't just get the same seed back. You get back what comes from that seed.

If you sow sin, and currently we all do, having inherited a sinful nature from Adam, you reap death.

If you sow sin against holy spirit, you reap eternal death, with no hope of resurrection.

That is the true meaning of that scripture.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 6:24:12 AM
At 4/14/2015 10:54:05 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
According to the Bible:

But that's the thing we don't live in such a world.

That's why religion uses the after life to balance that out, well if you don't get punished in this life you will in the next.

But then some for of Christianity says, nah your forgiven, you know cause you accept Jesus.

We do, it simple isn't time to reap yet..
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 2:22:38 AM
At 4/16/2015 6:23:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

If you sow a seed, you don't just get the same seed back. You get back what comes from that seed.

That is TRUE. People reap the FRUIT of the seeds they plant. They also reap the consequences of their actions.

If you sow sin, and currently we all do, having inherited a sinful nature from Adam, you reap death.

From whom did Adam inherit his sinful nature? Was his father the devil or God?

LIFE ends in death regardless of what people sow.