Jump to topic:

Theory of our purpose to god.

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 9:32:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have 2 theories, feel free to question them.

1) Humanity is a stage in the reproductive life cycle of God. We are essentially a fetus that will eventually evolve into God, through moral trial and tribulation and assuming we don't kill ourselves. It goes that during the Big Bang the planets formed to represent eggs, not all of them fertile of course (in habitable zones). And God sent out asteroids with the necessary biological components for life in all directions, kinda like sperm, and it would eventually collide with an egg forming us.

2) God uses humanity as a way to cure itself of sin. Sin is like a disease to God and concentrates all this sickness into a section and forms humanity with it in the hopes humans will overcome sin and return to God.
TheUncannyN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 4:39:41 AM
I think I can entertain this idea. Putting aside my non-belief...

(Would you have taken this idea from The Egg by Andy Weir? Not accusing you of doing so, just saying the premise sounds similar.)

So, assuming a god exists and that its existence was brought about by a similar process as what you're proposing, then are you saying that there could be multiple gods originating in different "universes" in an infinite series?

#2 begs the question: "What sin?" If god uses us and our trials as a way of cleansing itself, how did it first come into contact with sin?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 6:17:01 AM
At 4/15/2015 9:32:54 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

1) Humanity is a stage in the reproductive life cycle of God. We are essentially a fetus that will eventually evolve into God, through moral trial and tribulation and assuming we don't kill ourselves. It goes that during the Big Bang the planets formed to represent eggs, not all of them fertile of course (in habitable zones). And God sent out asteroids with the necessary biological components for life in all directions, kinda like sperm, and it would eventually collide with an egg forming us.

2) God uses humanity as a way to cure itself of sin. Sin is like a disease to God and concentrates all this sickness into a section and forms humanity with it in the hopes humans will overcome sin and return to God.

Mankind was created with one clearly stated purpose.

To care for the planet and all that is on it..

The "wages" for that were to be, and eventually will be, eternal life in perfect peace and absolute security, as well as complete enjoyment and job satisfaction form our work, as long as we don;t let Jehovah down again like Adam did, and we still are, badly..

Jehovah, our creator, is a very practical, dare I say "down to earth" God, and will have what he wants in the end, which is not far off now.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 9:49:48 AM
At 4/16/2015 6:17:01 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

That makes no sense, the planet doesn't need looking after, it will continue on without us and eventually burn to a crisp once the sun runs out of fuel.

Jehovah, our creator, is a very practical, dare I say "down to earth" God, and will have what he wants in the end, which is not far off now.

Then, who will remain to look after the planet? No one.

Amazing how you contradict yourself constantly.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 9:57:16 AM

To worship your fictional god.
Not according to your SILLY book.
The "wages" for that were to be, and eventually will be, eternal life in perfect peace and absolute security, as well as complete enjoyment and job satisfaction form our work, as long as we don;t let Jehovah down again like Adam did, and we still are, badly..
The wages of life are death. The thing most feared by the deluded godbotherers.
Put it in a book and see if anybody cares.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 10:04:54 AM
I am sorry but neither of these theories hold any water. Do you have some reason, some evidence, that lead you to either of them?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 10:27:24 AM
At 4/16/2015 10:04:54 AM, dhardage wrote:
I am sorry but neither of these theories hold any water. Do you have some reason, some evidence, that lead you to either of them?

I have as much evidence as any other theist ;)

But tell me why they don't hold water.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 10:40:30 AM
At 4/16/2015 4:39:41 AM, TheUncannyN wrote:

(Would you have taken this idea from The Egg by Andy Weir? Not accusing you of doing so, just saying the premise sounds similar.)

I had no idea there was another thought like this, I'm not surprised though.

So, assuming a god exists and that its existence was brought about by a similar process as what you're proposing, then are you saying that there could be multiple gods originating in different "universes" in an infinite series?

Ah yes the problem of the infinite regress, I've never quite figured the response to that one even in real theist vs. atheist debate., the whole KLA and what not. But for this, a God of Gods wouldn't make much sense either, or at least wouldn't answer anything meaningful. So I'm gonna cop out and say it's beyond our understanding lol.

#2 begs the question: "What sin?" If god uses us and our trials as a way of cleansing itself, how did it first come into contact with sin?

Well sin would be the opposite of God, some malady. As for first contact that could be contracted just by mere existence and God must undergo a cyclical purge.
TheUncannyN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 10:57:53 AM
At 4/16/2015 10:40:30 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 4/16/2015 4:39:41 AM, TheUncannyN wrote:

I had no idea there was another thought like this, I'm not surprised though.

It's actually a short story by a science fiction author. It was his first bit of writing that garnered a fair bit of attention.

Ah yes the problem of the infinite regress, I've never quite figured the response to that one even in real theist vs. atheist debate., the whole KLA and what not. But for this, a God of Gods wouldn't make much sense either, or at least wouldn't answer anything meaningful. So I'm gonna cop out and say it's beyond our understanding lol.

Well sin would be the opposite of God, some malady. As for first contact that could be contracted just by mere existence and God must undergo a cyclical purge.

The infinite regress again. It's an interesting line of thought, though; definitely a refreshing concept as far as hypothetical god discussions go. I'm actually working on a fantasy novel that takes inspiration from "The Egg", combining that rough "embryonic god" idea with aspects of theosophy, so this is definitely a discussion I could get lost in lol.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:22:48 PM
At 4/16/2015 9:49:48 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

That makes no sense, the planet doesn't need looking after, it will continue on without us and eventually burn to a crisp once the sun runs out of fuel.

That will never happen whatever your beloved science says. God will not allow it.

Of course the planet needs caring for. The very fact that we are so thoroughly destroying it, as the science you so adore reveals shows that it needs caring for, lol.

I am not contradicting myself.

There will be some left to care for the planet. His obedient followers will survive Armageddon. Scripture is clear on that also.

Isaiah 45:18
ASV(i) 18 For thus saith Jehovah that created the heavens, the God that formed the earth and made it, that established it and created it not a waste, that formed it to be inhabited: I am Jehovah; and there is none else.

Psalms 37:29
ASV(i) 29 The righteous shall inherit the land, And dwell therein for ever.

So you see Scientists, because they leave God out of the equation, have got it wrong again. The earth will never be destroyed, nor the sun run out of fuel.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:29:42 PM
At 4/16/2015 12:22:48 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

That will never happen whatever your beloved science says. God will not allow it.

LOL. Novas and supernovas occur all the time, dimwit. That's what will happen to our sun.

Of course the planet needs caring for. The very fact that we are so thoroughly destroying it, as the science you so adore reveals shows that it needs caring for, lol.

Another contradiction. If humans never evolved, the planet would continue as it has for the last 4.5 billion years.

LOL. Right on queue.

There will be some left to care for the planet. His obedient followers will survive Armageddon. Scripture is clear on that also.

Yes, insanity is clear on that, too.

ASV(i) 18 For thus saith Jehovah that created the heavens, the God that formed the earth and made it, that established it and created it not a waste, that formed it to be inhabited: I am Jehovah; and there is none else.

So you see Scientists, because they leave God out of the equation, have got it wrong again. The earth will never be destroyed, nor the sun run out of fuel.

You're knowledge of anything scientific is right up there with your God, nonexistent.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:30:57 PM

I feel like people who complain about religion on this site don't understand that Christianity and Islam aren't the only religions in the world.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:37:57 PM
At 4/16/2015 12:29:42 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

LOL. Novas and supernovas occur all the time, dimwit. That's what will happen to our sun.

Another contradiction. If humans never evolved, the planet would continue as it has for the last 4.5 billion years.

LOL. Right on queue.

You're knowledge of anything scientific is right up there with your God, nonexistent.

I realise your fear means that you have to believe that, but I pity you, none the less.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 1:01:03 PM
At 4/16/2015 12:37:57 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/16/2015 12:29:42 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

LOL. Right on queue.

I realise your fear means that you have to believe that, but I pity you, none the less.

Yeah, have a good look at my fear ---> LOL!

Of course, you're full of pity, it's called hot air and it blows like a hurricane.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 1:04:55 PM

You don't know your scriptures. Isaiah didn't prophesied Armageddon nor is Isaiah used as a prophesy for Armageddon.
And the same goes for Psalms 37.
No wonder you were kicked out by the JW , you are a lazy incompetent backslider.

The people that God created run out of fuel/steam , why cannot the rest of his creation? Don't blame scientists for your poor understanding of scriptures.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 3:34:52 PM
At 4/16/2015 12:30:57 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I feel like people who complain about religion on this site don't understand that Christianity and Islam aren't the only religions in the world.

Ummmm sure. Thanks for the input lol.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 5:37:44 PM

Totally agree. Why bible readers would think anything else is beyound me.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 7:45:27 PM
At 4/16/2015 5:37:44 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Totally agree. Why bible readers would think anything else is beyound me.

I agree, but they do.
TheUncannyN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:11:23 AM

1) That's hardly the point of either this thread or the legitimate gripes people on this site have against religion.
2) I'm sure people know and understand that there are hundreds of other religions out there. Once again, that's not the point. The point is that religion, in large part, was born out of and spread through ignorance of the natural world. That's the gripe, from Christianity or Islam to Neopaganism.
TheUncannyN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:28:21 AM

Exactly. Because god is like Michelangelo. He painted the Sistine Chapel ceiling just to give a little extra love to Adam's pecker.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:36:25 AM
At 4/16/2015 10:27:24 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Theory 1 - There is no evidence that humankind is in any way a larval form of any other life form. We do not morph into another form at the end of this life but pass away. That's not the characteristic of a 'stage' of a life cycle.

Theory 2 - Every definition of sin I've found is disobedience to God. How can God disobey his own will? It's a self-defeating proposition.

Finally, there is no evidence of any supernatural being of any kind, hence no purpose for 'larval' stage or for 'sin' or its cure.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:38:46 AM

Most of us are fully aware of it but they are the largest, the most vocal, and the ones most likely to try an make the law fit their holy book. That's not to excuse the Hindus who persecute others or these few Buddhists in the news a while back who attacked some Muslims.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 9:01:42 AM
At 4/17/2015 8:38:46 AM, dhardage wrote:

Most of us are fully aware of it but they are the largest, the most vocal, and the ones most likely to try an make the law fit their holy book. That's not to excuse the Hindus who persecute others or these few Buddhists in the news a while back who attacked some Muslims.

Apologies. This reply was meant for another thread.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 10:38:51 AM
At 4/17/2015 8:36:25 AM, dhardage wrote:

Theory 1 - There is no evidence that humankind is in any way a larval form of any other life form. We do not morph into another form at the end of this life but pass away. That's not the characteristic of a 'stage' of a life cycle.

Evolution is this cycle, its speculation that humanity is another evolutionary step towards becoming God.

Theory 2 - Every definition of sin I've found is disobedience to God. How can God disobey his own will? It's a self-defeating proposition.

Because I'm not using the common definition, I treat sin as more of a malady God has, and in order to cure it he must create humans to experience and overcome it.

Finally, there is no evidence of any supernatural being of any kind, hence no purpose for 'larval' stage or for 'sin' or its cure.

You'll have to humor the existence of God for this thread.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 10:54:27 AM
At 4/17/2015 10:38:51 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Evolution is this cycle, its speculation that humanity is another evolutionary step towards becoming God.

Hardly a Christian viewpoint. It is much closer to the Hindu way of thinking about the need to cleanse our karma before we can attain Nirvana. Still no evidence and no way to say for sure if humankind will every develop any god-like abilities.

Because I'm not using the common definition, I treat sin as more of a malady God has, and in order to cure it he must create humans to experience and overcome it.

If you define God as a perfect being then he/she/it could not suffer from any malady. Can you be more specific about your definition of God?

I can do that.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 4:17:40 PM
At 4/17/2015 10:54:27 AM, dhardage wrote:

Hardly a Christian viewpoint. It is much closer to the Hindu way of thinking about the need to cleanse our karma before we can attain Nirvana. Still no evidence and no way to say for sure if humankind will every develop any god-like abilities.

What makes you think I was promoting a Christian view point? As for our development, it's said that any technology great enough could be mistaken for magic. For example cavemen looking and a lighter would be baffled. Technology is our next evolutionary trail as it advances so do we. Who knows what humans will look like 500 thousand years from now.

If you define God as a perfect being then he/she/it could not suffer from any malady. Can you be more specific about your definition of God?

I never defined god as a perfect being, just one that from our limited perspective is all powerful. Given that there is no way to "know" what god is its impossible to define it other than something that exists. This forum is just speculation as to why god would create us.

I can do that.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 4:37:34 PM
At 4/17/2015 4:17:40 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

What makes you think I was promoting a Christian view point? As for our development, it's said that any technology great enough could be mistaken for magic. For example cavemen looking and a lighter would be baffled. Technology is our next evolutionary trail as it advances so do we. Who knows what humans will look like 500 thousand years from now.

I never defined god as a perfect being, just one that from our limited perspective is all powerful. Given that there is no way to "know" what god is its impossible to define it other than something that exists. This forum is just speculation as to why god would create us.

I can do that.

So how do you define God? You've speculate about a purpose to some supposed entity and intimated that it is 'all powerful' yet needs to 'cure itself' of a malady by creating a bunch of inferior beings to infest with it's problems. Either that or it's somehow working to evolve itself into something all powerful while still in the form of an inferior species. Neither makes a lot of sense give the limited bit of definition you've provided.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 7:26:03 PM
At 4/17/2015 4:37:34 PM, dhardage wrote:

I can do that.

So how do you define God? You've speculate about a purpose to some supposed entity and intimated that it is 'all powerful' yet needs to 'cure itself' of a malady by creating a bunch of inferior beings to infest with it's problems. Either that or it's somehow working to evolve itself into something all powerful while still in the form of an inferior species. Neither makes a lot of sense give the limited bit of definition you've provided.

All powerful from our perspective. As I said given advanced enough technology we could appear to be God to a lesser creature. And when considering perspective how can an embryo define a human being?
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 7:38:06 PM

No, but they are ubiquitous, and account for many of the claims here to a specific 'diety' posited.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 8:46:51 AM
At 4/17/2015 7:26:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 4/17/2015 4:37:34 PM, dhardage wrote:

I can do that.

All powerful from our perspective. As I said given advanced enough technology we could appear to be God to a lesser creature. And when considering perspective how can an embryo define a human being?

All powerful form our perspective means able to defeat disease of any kind. If this supposed superior being cannot do that then he would not be all powerful and thus not accepted as a god, just a very powerful being. I'm very familiar with the concept of an advanced enough technology being indistinguishable from magic, I've read a lot of A.C. Clark, but this theory still has gaps that make it unreasonable.