Fear = Faith

EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 11:08:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/16/2015 9:29:32 AM, bulproof wrote:
If there was no promise of an afterlife why would you love and worship your god?

When you love someone you love them for who they are not for what they have, Atheists can't seem to figure that one out.

See once again you assume that because one is a Theist it means they are a theist because they get offered something lol, what would Jesus say about that Bul?

This poor assumption then leads you to believe that we believe out of fear because we are afraid to die, therefore we put faith in God out of fear....

WRONG, I love when you reveal how pathetic your little brain works. We've had this discussion and here you are like a little school girl repeating the same tired arguments. It wouldn't matter if one has belief in God Bully why? Because we still have to DIE! Believing in God doesn't make dying any less uncomfortable I've already explained that before, and I don't acquire my beliefs to obtain afterlife we get afterlife whether we like it or not.
So guess what, now you have to support your silly notion by producing some support for that tripe, good luck :)
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 11:18:57 AM
At 4/16/2015 11:08:01 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
If there was no promise of an afterlife why would you love and worship your god?

When you love someone you love them for who they are not for what they have, Atheists can't seem to figure that one out.

The Abrahamic God is a psychotic, petty megalomaniac, so it's easy to figure out why atheists' don't love Him.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 11:26:42 AM

See once again you assume that because one is a Theist it means they are a theist because they get offered something lol, what would Jesus say about that Bul?

This poor assumption then leads you to believe that we believe out of fear because we are afraid to die, therefore we put faith in God out of fear....

WRONG, I love when you reveal how pathetic your little brain works. We've had this discussion and here you are like a little school girl repeating the same tired arguments. It wouldn't matter if one has belief in God Bully why? Because we still have to DIE! Believing in God doesn't make dying any less uncomfortable I've already explained that before, and I don't acquire my beliefs to obtain afterlife we get afterlife whether we like it or not.
So guess what, now you have to support your silly notion by producing some support for that tripe, good luck :)

No. You simply believe what you believe, because you feel atracted by the belief. This applies not only to your religion, but to everything you believe. Bul is merely pointing out that this attraction has it's roots in the promise of eternal life, but an all-loving-saviour is also another candy-wraping that serves to sell religion, among other things. You are christian and not a satanist or a shintoist not because you somehow know christianity is true and the others are fakes, but because christianity is simply more compeling to you personaly.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 1:14:47 PM
get afterlife whether we like it or not.
Read the question.
Even words have meaning.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:31:34 PM

There are two basic justifications for worship, Bulproof, and many religions appeal to both:

A) Moral inspiration: the deity and its prophets are moral paragons, inspirational and delightful. So worship is an act of celebration; and
B) Moral hazard: failing to worship the deity and heed its prophets incurs some hazard to welfare -- either the loss of something valuable, or the imposition of something terrible.

There are two interesting features to note about this arrangement:
1) Justification A) is moral: you should worship because it offers better morality than not doing so. But B) is amoral: you should propitiate the faith because it's dangerous not to.

2) For people outside the faith,A) can be ignored if you don't think the faith is terribly moral, or you think a more moral approach exists some other way. But to outsiders, faiths emphasise B) anyway -- in other words, most faiths recruit you into what they believe is a moral position using an amoral argument.

For myself, I don't particularly like amoral arguments such as B). I view them as extortionate, and dislike them further when offered without evidence. I believe such arguments are dishonest, cynical and manipulative.

However I don't accept argument A) in the first place because I think the evidence is contrary -- not the least because of how readily religions resort to B).

Essentially, I think it's an authority grab by fear and flattery. Religions want you to want to join their faith, and so they'll bribe and threaten you until you do, only to tell you how morally inspired you are for having been seduced or cowed.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 12:40:55 AM

Life itself does not promise you any personal "afterlife" or "eternal life" Do you still love Life and want to live it even though it promises you nothing but death in the end?
If you love life, WHY do you love it when you know it will "kill" you one day and you will end up in the grave?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 1:01:41 AM
At 4/17/2015 12:40:55 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Life itself does not promise you any personal "afterlife" or "eternal life" Do you still love Life and want to live it even though it promises you nothing but death in the end?
If you love life, WHY do you love it when you know it will "kill" you one day and you will end up in the grave?

It's what happens before the grave that counts.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 1:18:06 AM
At 4/17/2015 1:01:41 AM, bulproof wrote:

It's what happens before the grave that counts.

Counts for what in whose opinion and judgment?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 2:27:14 AM

Life =/= God

As far as I know, no society has ever worshipped a deity named Life.

We love life because evolution has made us that way. Organisms which don't love life tend to disappear. Lol.

Skyangel argument: Icecream itself does not promise you any personal "afterlife" or "eternal life". Do you still love icecream and want to eat it even though it promises you nothing but obesity in the end?
If you love icecream, WHY do you love it when you know it will "kill" you one day and you will end up in the grave?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 4:23:45 PM
At 4/17/2015 2:27:14 AM, dee-em wrote:

Life =/= God

As far as I know, no society has ever worshipped a deity named Life.

Obviously not. They worship their mythical deity which is nothing but a personification of Life
It is much like turning Mother Nature into a God instead of understanding she is nothing but a personification of Nature.

We love life because evolution has made us that way. Organisms which don't love life tend to disappear. Lol.

All living organisms disappear in the end and can be blowing around in the wind regardless of whether they even have the ability to love anything or not. Do plants for example love anything?
Life makes Life the way it is and tends to recycle itself constantly.

Skyangel argument: Icecream itself does not promise you any personal "afterlife" or "eternal life". Do you still love icecream and want to eat it even though it promises you nothing but obesity in the end?

No, that's not my argument. You are misinderstanding it completely. I am not saying icecream is God. However, it does seem to have the power to make people fat due to them being unable to resist it.
I am saying God is not an invisible supernatural entity in my perception. I am saying the so called supernatural entity is as mythical as Mother Nature. God to me, is a personification of Life and is as visible to me as Life due to me "seeing" God and Life as being the same thing. I also "see" Mother Nature and Nature as being the same thing. How about you ? Do you think Mother Nature is also a supernatural entity?
Mother Nature and Father God are merely personifications of things which exist in reality.

If you love icecream, WHY do you love it when you know it will "kill" you one day and you will end up in the grave?

Food does not kill anyone unless they eat poison. Life itself leads to death eventually no matter what you eat.
However, since you want to talk about ice cream, those who make ice cream their God and worship it, end up facing the consequences of an overload of sugar in their bodies.
Those who make mythical characters their gods and worship them, "eat" of them or partake of them most of their lives, end up with an overload of fiction in their minds. Their childish belief in fictional characters causes them to become blind to reality.