Jump to topic:

Create your perfect divinity or Pantheon

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 5:28:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, this is in no way an attempt at coercing people into adopting something they don't want, it in no way is a ruse to get anyone to admit or profess something they don't believe.

The topic is simple: Invent or create a divinity or pantheon that you feel would be worthy of worship/worth worshipping, and their responsibilities to humanity (if any). That includes creation if you so desire.

Easier summed up as "If __________________________ existed, I would voluntarily worship it/them/he/she."
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 5:37:22 AM
At 4/17/2015 5:28:32 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
So, this is in no way an attempt at coercing people into adopting something they don't want, it in no way is a ruse to get anyone to admit or profess something they don't believe.

The topic is simple: Invent or create a divinity or pantheon that you feel would be worthy of worship/worth worshipping, and their responsibilities to humanity (if any). That includes creation if you so desire.

Easier summed up as "If __________________________ existed, I would voluntarily worship it/them/he/she."

I already have mine. He created us.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 5:47:57 AM
At 4/17/2015 5:37:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

That is the best you can come up with? Ye of little imagination.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 6:19:02 AM
At 4/17/2015 5:47:57 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

What's the use of imagination, unless you are an author or a playwright. Reality is much better.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:01:32 AM
At 4/17/2015 6:19:02 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

What's the use of imagination, unless you are an author or a playwright. Reality is much better.

What made BoG a PITA was his insistent desire to derail a thread in order to inject a special brand of preaching, despite the obvious intent of the OP. Stop being BoG.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:06:25 AM

Dignified men don't need flattery. Things greater in dignity than men shouldn't need flattery. Why would I flatter anything claiming to be hold more dignity than me, yet actually having less dignity than some children?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:10:40 AM
At 4/17/2015 8:01:32 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

What made BoG a PITA was his insistent desire to derail a thread in order to inject a special brand of preaching, despite the obvious intent of the OP. Stop being BoG.

I am not. You asked a question, I answered it, simple as.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:12:58 AM
At 4/17/2015 8:06:25 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

Dignified men don't need flattery. Things greater in dignity than men shouldn't need flattery. Why would I flatter anything claiming to be hold more dignity than me, yet actually having less dignity than some children?

Give and take. "worship" might be strong. Barter for involvement sounds better. Said deity of your creation need not need worship, but it should rightfully ask "sure, but why?"
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:17:29 AM
At 4/17/2015 8:12:58 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Give and take. "worship" might be strong. Barter for involvement sounds better.

I'd say that's not a god then. Gods by definition are worshiped, obeyed and propitiated. Their godhood is tied to their claim to authority, so I think of them as metaphysical tyrants and narcissists. Anything with whom you're trading instead whenever it suits is a metaphysical alien. :D
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:28:06 AM

Myself, I am just too amazing to not worship. My responibility's would be null as people would worship me as the one who became amazing.
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 8:33:25 AM
At 4/17/2015 8:17:29 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 4/17/2015 8:12:58 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Give and take. "worship" might be strong. Barter for involvement sounds better.

I'd say that's not a god then. Gods by definition are worshiped, obeyed and propitiated. Their godhood is tied to their claim to authority, so I think of them as metaphysical tyrants and narcissists. Anything with whom you're trading instead whenever it suits is a metaphysical alien. :D

I would consider any God that is being worshiped currently to be a metaphysical alien. XD seriously, how could we possibly comprehend such a thing's motives and powers, and how could such a thing with omnipotence understand NOT being omnipotent.
Nicoszon_the_Great
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:40:07 PM
If a god existed that
1. had a reason for being unable to alleviate human suffering all this time
2. (If possible) made actions to alleviate human suffering
3. Provided us with the knowledge and wisdom to begin to solve our own problems
4. Faded out of reality as it became no longer necessary

Also, not a big deal, but I'd prefer a female deity.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 3:54:02 AM
At 4/22/2015 9:40:07 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
If a god existed that

Most importantly Jehovah had an impelling reason to, temporarily allow the suffering that his perfect sense of true justice forces him to allow for a limited time, which we are nearing the end of.

He has had a plan for that in place since the Garden of Eden, and one of the things his son did when on earth was demonstrate that he does indeed had the power of sickness and death and will use it when the time is right.

That he will never do, because he wants to be involved with the creation he loves.

He wants us to rely on him as children should on a father.

He is not a "sit back and do nothing God".

No, he does not want that, and nor should we.

Do we want our earthly parents to fade out of reality?

No. My adoptive mother died 20 years ago, and I still miss her. Admittedly I don't miss my adoptive father, he was not a nice man at all. My mother had more courage in her little finger than he did in his whole body.

Why would we then want the God who created everything to do so. Much better to enjoy his comp[any as we soon will be able to do.

We have no choice. Jehovah is the only option if we want to live.

However calling him male is simply an honorific, since he has no gender. Using the male honorific simply acknowledges his headship as our father.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 3:57:18 AM

The difference between me and BoG is that what I preach is a truth that all need to be given the opportunity to know, just as the people pre-flood needed to know what Noah preached.

Now as then it our up to us whether or not we choose to listen and live.

However I am nothing like as persistent as BoG
Nicoszon_the_Great
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 1:43:00 AM
At 4/23/2015 3:54:02 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/22/2015 9:40:07 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
If a god existed that

Most importantly Jehovah had an impelling reason to, temporarily allow the suffering that his perfect sense of true justice forces him to allow for a limited time, which we are nearing the end of.

He has had a plan for that in place since the Garden of Eden, and one of the things his son did when on earth was demonstrate that he does indeed had the power of sickness and death and will use it when the time is right.

That he will never do, because he wants to be involved with the creation he loves.

He wants us to rely on him as children should on a father.

He is not a "sit back and do nothing God".

No, he does not want that, and nor should we.

Do we want our earthly parents to fade out of reality?

No. My adoptive mother died 20 years ago, and I still miss her. Admittedly I don't miss my adoptive father, he was not a nice man at all. My mother had more courage in her little finger than he did in his whole body.

Why would we then want the God who created everything to do so. Much better to enjoy his comp[any as we soon will be able to do.

We have no choice. Jehovah is the only option if we want to live.

However calling him male is simply an honorific, since he has no gender. Using the male honorific simply acknowledges his headship as our father.

Yaweh "allowing" suffering had better come with an explanation better than "Well he's just perfect so deal" because there's not one bit of evidence that he actually is perfect beyond his own claim (assuming he exists, of course)

Jesus showing up has not alleviated the suffering of the world, it only claims to bring a solution after we're dead, at which point he failed to meet the criteria for the point. Also there are the several millions before his coming that were born too soon I guess.

That's one of the reasons why I don't follow the Abrahamic Doctrine.

It would be best for the deity figure to fade out for the same reasons that it is beneficial to move away from our parents, so that we may become fully realised creatures on our own and gain the ability to forge not only our own lives but those of our descendants. My mother, though I love her, is not the goal of my life. The future daughter, whom carries my DNA as well as my ambition is.

The point of the query was to pick a preferred deity.

I find it interesting that you would presume that your deity, out of the several thousand worshipped by mankind and the countless millions potentially worshipped across existence has any sort of providence or intrigue that I have not already considered. The assumption that one of my colour and nationality has not already met with those who share your faith and heard the stories.

No, none of the reasons you've given me, nor any of the reasons anyone has yet to provide me, incites me to believe that Yaweh exists or that I should very well care if he does.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 1:53:22 AM
At 4/23/2015 3:57:18 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

The difference between me and BoG is that what I preach is a truth that all need to be given the opportunity to know, just as the people pre-flood needed to know what Noah preached.
There is no difference between you and bog.
There never was a "flood", therefore never a pre-flood message which makes yours and it identical=nothing.
Now as then it our up to us whether or not we choose to listen and live.
We all die, get over it.
However I am nothing like as persistent as BoG
You and he are twins.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 1:56:08 AM

- I'd be interested in knowing your own take on this.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:09:54 AM
At 4/25/2015 1:56:08 AM, Yassine wrote:

3 entities of unimaginable power having been around before the "universe" reside in some form of parallel dimension. They create the universe, each one adding a touch of their "spark" or "soul" or whatever you want to call it into one point, just to see exactly what happens. As "luck" would have it, the result was the matter and energy that currently permeate space. Each challenge each other to use this new medium as a sandbox to create the most interesting and beautiful thing, be it an event, planet, individual occurrence, or raw force of power. One of them took the raw matter to make planets. Another took it to make stars. The third took it all and tried to compress it back together, and possibly recreate what made this universe in the first place.

Each event and planet and star got bigger and bigger and bigger... until one of the these entities went the other way, and made something incredibly small... matter that could replicate itself through various means. As time wore on, this matter was aware of itself, its need for energy, and the universe around it. As the three saw "life" begin to spread, each rushed off to their own corner of the universe, and have sought about to make the best "life", as it was fascinating to watch their universe develop a means to understand itself, and maybe, juuuuust maybe, develop a means for the three entities to understand their own existence.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:13:27 AM
At 4/25/2015 2:09:54 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

3 entities of unimaginable power having been around before the "universe" reside in some form of parallel dimension. They create the universe, each one adding a touch of their "spark" or "soul" or whatever you want to call it into one point, just to see exactly what happens. As "luck" would have it, the result was the matter and energy that currently permeate space. Each challenge each other to use this new medium as a sandbox to create the most interesting and beautiful thing, be it an event, planet, individual occurrence, or raw force of power. One of them took the raw matter to make planets. Another took it to make stars. The third took it all and tried to compress it back together, and possibly recreate what made this universe in the first place.

Each event and planet and star got bigger and bigger and bigger... until one of the these entities went the other way, and made something incredibly small... matter that could replicate itself through various means. As time wore on, this matter was aware of itself, its need for energy, and the universe around it. As the three saw "life" begin to spread, each rushed off to their own corner of the universe, and have sought about to make the best "life", as it was fascinating to watch their universe develop a means to understand itself, and maybe, juuuuust maybe, develop a means for the three entities to understand their own existence.

- Soooo, if such entities existed, you'd voluntarily worship them? I am pretty sure there are religions that have gods described quite as you described them here.
Current Debates:

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:19:41 AM
At 4/25/2015 2:13:27 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 4/25/2015 2:09:54 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

- Soooo, if such entities existed, you'd voluntarily worship them? I am pretty sure there are religions that have gods described quite as you described them here.

Absolutely. If the story, as I related it, was as they related it to their "Creations", at least they were being honest enough to say it was an accident, and they too while being omnipotent don't fully understand their place either. I would devote worship to something like that. To me, there is something... I dunno, poetic about it. Or Ironic. Hard to say. I think my devotion would be given as time wishing them luck in their quest, and should they make more interesting life that we all be joined later. Or at least introduced, so we could have our own "competitions" of sorts, and possibly do as our "forerunners" did.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:24:00 AM
At 4/25/2015 2:19:41 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Absolutely. If the story, as I related it, was as they related it to their "Creations", at least they were being honest enough to say it was an accident, and they too while being omnipotent don't fully understand their place either. I would devote worship to something like that. To me, there is something... I dunno, poetic about it. Or Ironic. Hard to say. I think my devotion would be given as time wishing them luck in their quest, and should they make more interesting life that we all be joined later. Or at least introduced, so we could have our own "competitions" of sorts, and possibly do as our "forerunners" did.

- So you'd worship what you deem your equals?
Current Debates:

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:30:45 AM
At 4/25/2015 2:24:00 AM, Yassine wrote:

I would hardly consider entities that have the capability of spawning suns and blackholes to be my equals. I would worship something greater than me that both reveals itself to me, and is something I can understand.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:33:01 AM
At 4/25/2015 2:30:45 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

I would hardly consider entities that have the capability of spawning suns and blackholes to be my equals. I would worship something greater than me that both reveals itself to me, and is something I can understand.

- I meant in free will.
Current Debates:

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:36:07 AM
At 4/25/2015 2:33:01 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 4/25/2015 2:30:45 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

- I meant in free will.

I am not terribly sure I understand the question in full, then.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:38:53 AM
At 4/25/2015 2:36:07 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

- I meant in free will.

- I guess I was ambiguous. I mean, would you worship a deity that is as independent as you are? something along these lines.
Current Debates:

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:40:19 AM
At 4/25/2015 2:38:53 AM, Yassine wrote:

- I meant in free will.

- I guess I was ambiguous. I mean, would you worship a deity that is as independent as you are? something along these lines.

I think I see where you are coming from, and yes. Even if said God has no interest in me.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:43:49 AM
At 4/25/2015 2:40:19 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

- I meant in free will.

I think I see where you are coming from, and yes. Even if said God has no interest in me.

- LoL ;)

- I am trying to understand your reasoning, you talked about all this being poetic & such, but rhetoric aside, what is the reasoning behind your idea of deity?
Current Debates:

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 3:31:31 AM
At 4/25/2015 2:43:49 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 4/25/2015 2:40:19 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

- I meant in free will.

- LoL ;)

- I am trying to understand your reasoning, you talked about all this being poetic & such, but rhetoric aside, what is the reasoning behind your idea of deity?

The point of the thread was to see who would create what that would be worthy of worship. I don't feel something that coerces sub-creatures with eternal punishment or bribe of eternal reward to be worth worshipping. I don't feel a spirit that bills itself as a heavenly father whom never reveals themselves to be worthy of worship either. A deity need no reason that I could logically come up with to exist, and were I to understand the current rationale behind their existence from modern religion, illogical reason seems to be the only source anyways. If I were to entertain such a (to me) bizarre circumstance, I would want a face on it I could relate to. This is my strange little attempt at making the face.