Jump to topic:

A Sign of the Times

TheUncannyN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 11:23:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is great and all, but in reality it doesn't even amount to a dusty fart in the right direction as far as first-world protections are concerned. "Non-religiously affiliated people" still have a hefty fight on their hands in America, and the opposing noise is just going to get louder. Our efforts have to scale with the progress.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:02:37 PM
At 4/20/2015 11:26:28 AM, TheUncannyN wrote:
(To clarify: I am often accused of cynicism. I argue that it's being realistic.)

I agree but as the proverb goes, a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. If one small group can get past centuries of religious propaganda there's hope for others.
TheUncannyN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:10:26 PM
At 4/20/2015 12:02:37 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 4/20/2015 11:26:28 AM, TheUncannyN wrote:
(To clarify: I am often accused of cynicism. I argue that it's being realistic.)

I agree but as the proverb goes, a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. If one small group can get past centuries of religious propaganda there's hope for others.

Agreed, but as I said the opposition will kick harder, so I do think we'll need to scale up our efforts as more progress is made just to ensure the path we clear stays clear.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:36:03 PM
At 4/20/2015 11:08:56 AM, dhardage wrote:
Some people are finally beginning to see atheists as people too.

http://www.csmonitor.com...

I work with people of all kinds. Some are atheist. I don't see any discrimination due to irreligious beliefs
TheUncannyN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:41:48 PM
At 4/20/2015 12:36:03 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

I work with people of all kinds. Some are atheist. I don't see any discrimination due to irreligious beliefs

Living in the southeastern US (one of the states where atheists cannot hold public office), I can tell you, personally and objectively, how wrong you are.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:44:14 PM
At 4/20/2015 12:41:48 PM, TheUncannyN wrote:

Living in the southeastern US (one of the states where atheists cannot hold public office), I can tell you, personally and objectively, how wrong you are.

I live and work in texas. Perhaps your upset the majority of the community does not want the same kind of legislation you do. Which that's how representative government works.
TheUncannyN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:49:19 PM
At 4/20/2015 12:44:14 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

I live and work in texas. Perhaps your upset the majority of the community does not want the same kind of legislation you do. Which that's how representative government works.

What a load. Legislation is irrelevant to this discussion. Oppression of dissenting opinion, discrimination, civil rights, religious monopoly in a democratic republic, and constitutionality is the issue. None of these things are things which your side is justified in. Perhaps you're afraid of what atheists will do to tear asunder your backwards legislation?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:59:51 PM
At 4/20/2015 12:49:19 PM, TheUncannyN wrote:

What a load. Legislation is irrelevant to this discussion. Oppression of dissenting opinion, discrimination, civil rights, religious monopoly in a democratic republic, and constitutionality is the issue. None of these things are things which your side is justified in. Perhaps you're afraid of what atheists will do to tear asunder your backwards legislation?

Ever hear for the people by the people? If the majority want to legislate actions that they feel represent the ethical economic ideals of their community then so be it.

I don't see atheist discriminated against.
TheUncannyN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 1:05:48 PM
At 4/20/2015 12:59:51 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Ever hear for the people by the people? If the majority want to legislate actions that they feel represent the ethical economic ideals of their community then so be it.

Then you're maintaining willful ignorance in the case of a well-documented occurrence whether or not you choose to admit it.

Tyranny of the majority is still tyranny. We have constitutional clauses that address such issues. There shall be no religious test for office. Period. End of story. And try as you might, progress is a self-proclaiming force. It will happen in its own time regardless of your religious belief. You were never allowed the whole playing field.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 1:11:34 PM

" Article 1, Section 4 of the Texas Constitution, which states, "No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."

While the article indeed remains on the books in Texas " and several Southern states " it"s been proven time and time again to be in violation of the U.S. Constitution.

In a federal court agreement, Maddox said the article "is void and of no further effect in that it is in violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution."
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 1:16:39 PM
At 4/20/2015 1:05:48 PM, TheUncannyN wrote:

Then you're maintaining willful ignorance in the case of a well-documented occurrence whether or not you choose to admit it.

Tyranny of the majority is still tyranny. We have constitutional clauses that address such issues. There shall be no religious test for office. Period. End of story. And try as you might, progress is a self-proclaiming force. It will happen in its own time regardless of your religious belief. You were never allowed the whole playing field.

I agree. A religous test for office would be unconstitutional. This is very different from voters not choosing to vote for a non-religous canidate. Or any canidate that has different views on what protections and legislation need to be inacted for life liberty and happiness to be achieved.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 1:39:45 PM

Whites didn't see black discrimination either. A lot still don't. Bigotry is bigotry.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 1:43:13 PM

A state has banned atheists from holding public office?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 1:59:40 PM
At 4/20/2015 1:39:45 PM, dhardage wrote:

Whites didn't see black discrimination either. A lot still don't. Bigotry is bigotry.

Oh yeah because being atheist comes up so much day to day. I see people past for promotion becuase they are atheist.

The only time I saw the comments, of someone I knew personally to be an atheist, ignored is when what he said was dumb.

Is this supposed discrimination directly from the person being an atheist? I think not. I bet most this supposed discrimination is from the community not accepting the legalization of actions that would do more harm then good by their own reasoning.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 2:07:06 PM
At 4/20/2015 1:34:45 PM, Harikrish wrote:
You can pass yourself off as an adulterer. They are ranked higher than atbeists.

One study in 2011 found that a central motivation driving animosity against atheists is mistrust: "Participants found a description of an untrustworthy person to be more representative of atheists than of Christians, Muslims, gay men, feminists, or Jewish people," the researchers wrote. "Only people with a proven track record of untrustworthy conduct " rapists " were distrusted to a comparable degree as atheists."
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 2:08:36 PM
At 4/20/2015 1:43:13 PM, annanicole wrote:

Atheist think the only reason someone has for disagreeing with liberal big government mandates is a religous one.

When for completely secular economic and ethical reasons such political motives are still unsound
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 2:30:32 PM
At 4/20/2015 2:08:36 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Atheist think the only reason someone has for disagreeing with liberal big government mandates is a religous one.

When for completely secular economic and ethical reasons such political motives are still unsound

I shall call you Pharaoh for you surely you are the King of Denial.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 2:32:43 PM

If memory serves, there are 13 states with such statutes still on the books. They are, in principle, unenforceable, but the sentiment behind them lingers and people still distrust anyone who calls themselves 'atheist'. Might as well say child molester in some parts of the country.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 2:43:03 PM
At 4/20/2015 2:30:32 PM, dhardage wrote:

So you don't think there are secular reasons for pro-life, small government, immigration reform, ect...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 2:53:56 PM
At 4/20/2015 2:43:03 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

So you don't think there are secular reasons for pro-life, small government, immigration reform, ect...

Irrelevant. Atheists are still reviled and distrusted for no greater reason than they are atheists. There are no professed atheists in the US Congress, mostly because you can't get elected if you aren't a Christian in the US. The Christian group of religions enjoys a great amount of influence, so much so that the IRS won't even enforce regulations regarding churches and religious organizations staying out of politics or losing their tax exempt status. As far a secular reasons for pro-life, most likely not. Small government and immigration reform are indeed secular areas that deserve examination and effort but the extremist ideologues on either side of the debate are not there to compromise and make something work, they're just supporting their own agenda. That's also irrelevant to the OP.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 3:06:10 PM
At 4/20/2015 2:53:56 PM, dhardage wrote:

Irrelevant. Atheists are still reviled and distrusted for no greater reason than they are atheists. There are no professed atheists in the US Congress, mostly because you can't get elected if you aren't a Christian in the US. The Christian group of religions enjoys a great amount of influence, so much so that the IRS won't even enforce regulations regarding churches and religious organizations staying out of politics or losing their tax exempt status. As far a secular reasons for pro-life, most likely not. Small government and immigration reform are indeed secular areas that deserve examination and effort but the extremist ideologues on either side of the debate are not there to compromise and make something work, they're just supporting their own agenda. That's also irrelevant to the OP.

Do you think that distrust and disgust is from the incoherency of vocal atheist thought?

Principle least harm to human life is a secular reason.

World views shape the way person values things. Nothi'g is wro'g with a community valueing individual responsibility and human life.

Sounds like whinning to grease a squeaky wheel.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 3:10:14 PM
At 4/20/2015 3:06:10 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Do you think that distrust and disgust is from the incoherency of vocal atheist thought?

No, from church leaders telling people we're worshipping the devil and hating god.

Not secular.

World views shape the way person values things. Nothi'g is wro'g with a community valueing individual responsibility and human life.

Those were part of the question.

Sound's like a bigot demonstrating his bigotry cred.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 3:13:26 PM

Good point. I don't see discrimination against brown people in my workplace either, so I'm pretty sure there's no race-based discrimination.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 3:17:00 PM
At 4/20/2015 3:10:14 PM, dhardage wrote:

No, from church leaders telling people we're worshipping the devil and hating god.

Not secular.

Exactly you think secular means atheist liberal. But it just means no religous basis.

That's not to say ethical considerations don't but for a government to be coherent across the board a principle of least harm would be substantial.

The very values of life liberty and happiness come from the creator.

Destroying human life when that life has done nothing to merit such is unwarranted harm.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 3:22:48 PM
At 4/20/2015 3:17:00 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 4/20/2015 3:10:14 PM, dhardage wrote:

Not secular.

Exactly you think secular means atheist liberal. But it just means no religous basis.

That's not to say ethical considerations don't but for a government to be coherent across the board a principle of least harm would be substantial.

The very values of life liberty and happiness come from the creator.

There's your bias, stated loud and clear.

And yes, secular means free from religion and every pro-life organization I know of has a religious base.

Destroying human life when that life has done nothing to merit such is unwarranted harm.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 3:34:29 PM
At 4/20/2015 3:13:26 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Good point. I don't see discrimination against brown people in my workplace either, so I'm pretty sure there's no race-based discrimination.

I'm sure cases can be found but I doubt it is a systemic as atheist imagine.

I think the opposition they mostly see is because thier ideas are contrary to the way most people want their state ran.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 3:39:21 PM
At 4/20/2015 3:34:29 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 4/20/2015 3:13:26 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

I'm sure cases can be found but I doubt it is a systemic as atheist imagine.

I think the opposition they mostly see is because thier ideas are contrary to the way most people want their state ran.

Maybe, I don't know. This seems like more of a problem in the US and the undeveloped world rather than in any of the other developed countries.

Your initial post was just begging for a poke, that's all =)