Jump to topic:

Ask an atheist.

joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 7:55:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Although many atheists appear to be on this site, I have still seen many misconceptions about the idea of atheism floating around this site. I would like to help educate those who are curious about atheism by answering questions. Just ask a question, and I will answer it as quickly as possible. First of all, I would like to state that I do not speak for all atheists, and if another atheist disagrees with anything I say, I encourage them to state the opposing viewpoint. Secondly, I am on a trip and may have trouble answering questions in as timely a manner as I would like, but I will still try to answer your questions as quickly as I possibly can. I encourage other atheists to assist me in answering questions.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:17:07 PM
At 4/21/2015 7:55:47 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:
Although many atheists appear to be on this site, I have still seen many misconceptions about the idea of atheism floating around this site. I would like to help educate those who are curious about atheism by answering questions. Just ask a question, and I will answer it as quickly as possible. First of all, I would like to state that I do not speak for all atheists, and if another atheist disagrees with anything I say, I encourage them to state the opposing viewpoint. Secondly, I am on a trip and may have trouble answering questions in as timely a manner as I would like, but I will still try to answer your questions as quickly as I possibly can. I encourage other atheists to assist me in answering questions.

Why do you believe in Darwin transforming from monkeys and why do you base your morality on it? And why do you have faith in no God? Don't you have evidence for no God? And plus, why is there morality if there isn't God?
You can call me Mark if you like.
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 9:04:35 PM
At 4/29/2015 5:17:07 PM, debate_power wrote:

Why do you believe in Darwin transforming from monkeys and why do you base your morality on it? And why do you have faith in no God? Don't you have evidence for no God? And plus, why is there morality if there isn't God?

Very good questions that I answer frequently among my social group.
First of all, I would like to clarify that I do not believe in humans evolving from modern monkeys, just that we share a common ancestor. I doubt that that was the purpose of the question though, the reason that I believe in the theory of evolution is mainly because of the shocking amount of evidence in support of it. The fossil record and the majority of modern genetics and biology research all point to the idea that the diversity of life can be explained through a slow evolutionary process.
I do not in any way base my morality on this, in the same way that you do not base your morality on gravity or the second law of thermodynamics.
I have no faith in any deity because I have failed to find any evidence of the existence of one.
I do not require evidence to not believe in any deity, as the burden of proof lies on those who do believe in one to prove the existence of a deity, not on me to disprove it.
Morality is an interesting topic for those without belief in a deity. I find that I base my morality on a few key factors:
Logic: I look at what science and philosophy can show regarding what is truly the best for the collective human population, and use this as a basis for what I define as correct and incorrect morally speaking.
Empathy: I ask myself "would I want to be treated in the manner that these people are being treated?". If the answer is no, I deem it immoral to do that thing to them.
Society: I base my morality partially on the ways society had runned successfully in the past. Throughout history, murder, thievery, and similar acts have all been outlawed, as no society can function with those actions being universally accepted. I base my morality on what has worked on human society in the past.

I hope that I helped answer your questions, if not, feel free to clarify how I left you displeased, and I will try once again to answer your questions.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 9:11:26 PM
At 4/29/2015 9:04:35 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:

First of all, I would like to clarify that I do not believe in humans evolving from modern monkeys, just that we share a common ancestor. I doubt that that was the purpose of the question though, the reason that I believe in the theory of evolution is mainly because of the shocking amount of evidence in support of it. The fossil record and the majority of modern genetics and biology research all point to the idea that the diversity of life can be explained through a slow evolutionary process.
I do not in any way base my morality on this, in the same way that you do not base your morality on gravity or the second law of thermodynamics.
I have no faith in any deity because I have failed to find any evidence of the existence of one.
I do not require evidence to not believe in any deity, as the burden of proof lies on those who do believe in one to prove the existence of a deity, not on me to disprove it.
Morality is an interesting topic for those without belief in a deity. I find that I base my morality on a few key factors:
Logic: I look at what science and philosophy can show regarding what is truly the best for the collective human population, and use this as a basis for what I define as correct and incorrect morally speaking.
Empathy: I ask myself "would I want to be treated in the manner that these people are being treated?". If the answer is no, I deem it immoral to do that thing to them.
Society: I base my morality partially on the ways society had runned successfully in the past. Throughout history, murder, thievery, and similar acts have all been outlawed, as no society can function with those actions being universally accepted. I base my morality on what has worked on human society in the past.

I hope that I helped answer your questions, if not, feel free to clarify how I left you displeased, and I will try once again to answer your questions.

Joe, DP is an atheist. It was a tongue-in-cheek paraphrasing of the inane questions fundies often ask.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 9:23:04 PM

What evidence would it take for you to believe in a god?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 2:35:19 AM
If the deity exists and is omnipotent, surely it could appear to ALL humanity in a way which was irrefutable. As it chooses not to, either it doesn't exist, or it is playing nasty games. I think the former is more likely.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 4:49:38 AM
At 4/29/2015 9:23:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

If "you" generally refers to "atheists", then I answer as an atheist: conclusive, scientific evidence.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 8:55:20 AM

For me to believe in a god, irrefutable evidence would have to surface that proves the existence of a specific god. I do not know what kind of evidence this would be, but it would have to surface.
-Richard Dawkins
-Richard Dawkins
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 8:58:26 AM
At 4/29/2015 9:11:26 PM, dee-em wrote:

Joe, DP is an atheist. It was a tongue-in-cheek paraphrasing of the inane questions fundies often ask.

I actually didn't know that, but I'm still glad to get those questions out of the way, as someone else would have surely asked them.
-Richard Dawkins
-Richard Dawkins
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 9:05:59 AM

Believe me, amigo, we do answer those questions and attempt to rectify those mistaken ideas and concepts about what exactly an atheist is on a nearly daily basis.
The problem is that most theists cannot conceive of a world without a deity so every concept they have is rooted in that belief. By their lights we cannot simply disbelieve, we must 'reject' and 'deny' their god, making us evil and immoral creatures seeking only our own pleasures with no consequences. I hope that you do manage to educate a few people as it would be nice to have a theist actually understand.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 12:47:21 PM

Evidence, period, would be a nice start.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 3:59:22 PM

I love how you took that seriously. I sincerely apologize.
You can call me Mark if you like.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 4:10:50 PM
At 4/30/2015 4:49:38 AM, tejretics wrote:

If "you" generally refers to "atheists", then I answer as an atheist: conclusive, scientific evidence.

I think, in this vein, I would exchange "scientific" with "empirical." While we don't have "scientific" evidence of the law of gravity, it is easy to demonstrate its effect through "empirical" observation. Evidence of the existence of a SPECIFIC deity would have to be unique to that deity. All of the abrahamic religions would have a long, uphill battle.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 4:13:16 PM

How about something that came from a source OTHER than human claims...?
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 5:20:14 PM

Can agnosticism and atheism be separable, meaning are they two separate things?
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 6:42:23 PM
I would like to help educate those who are curious about atheism by answering questions. Just ask a question, and I will answer it as quickly as possible.

Oh. Okay.

As an atheist, must you complain about religion? Why can't you just keep your doubts to yourself, let religious power-blocs vilify you, keep you out of government, bar you from secular jobs on their properties, legislate on sex, marriage, blasphemy, art, science, medicine and infant mutilation, prescribe normative social morality and customs, enjoy your tax subsidies and educate your children?

Given that society has freedom of religion, and religion has a long tradition of enjoying these privileges, don't you think it's a bit arrogant and presumptuous to protest?

Thxbai.
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 7:04:50 PM
At 4/30/2015 5:20:14 PM, Pase66 wrote:

Can agnosticism and atheism be separable, meaning are they two separate things?

Agnosticism and atheism describe completely different parts of your belief. Atheism and Theism describes your views on whether or not you have belief in a god or gods. Agnosticism vs Gnosticism is regarding your certainty on the issue. For instance, an agnostic atheist would say that they lack belief in a god, but understand that there is no definite way to prove that point. A gnostic atheist, on the other hand, lacks belief in a god, but believes that there is literally no doubt on that concept. These descriptive terms can also be used for theists, as agnostic theists and gnostic theists both exist as well.
-Richard Dawkins
-Richard Dawkins
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 7:06:29 PM
At 4/30/2015 6:42:23 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
I would like to help educate those who are curious about atheism by answering questions. Just ask a question, and I will answer it as quickly as possible.

Oh. Okay.

As an atheist, must you complain about religion? Why can't you just keep your doubts to yourself, let religious power-blocs vilify you, keep you out of government, bar you from secular jobs on their properties, legislate on sex, marriage, blasphemy, art, science, medicine and infant mutilation, prescribe normative social morality and customs, enjoy your tax subsidies and educate your children?

Given that society has freedom of religion, and religion has a long tradition of enjoying these privileges, don't you think it's a bit arrogant and presumptuous to protest?

Thxbai.
It is arrogant and presumptuous. I am just an awful person. I really don't know why, it just seems that I take joy in the suffering of others.

C U l8r
-Richard Dawkins
-Richard Dawkins
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 7:08:44 PM
As an atheist, must you complain about religion?

While you're reeling from my last skewering, Joe, please could you also think about the following:

The US Pilgrim Fathers were all religious, so don't you think your atheism is Unamerican? (I don't know that you're actually from America, but even if you're not, don't you think you are?)

Also, are you a left-leaning, hedonistic, drug-addicted, polyamorous bisexual or gay felon? Or if not, don't you know some atheists who are?

Have you ever admired Josef Stalin, Benito Mussolini, Adolph Hitler, Josef Tito or Mao Tse-Tung? If not, why not, when they were all atheists like you?

Also, could you please prove it just like you want the faithful to prove there's God?

Also, please prove abiogenesis, and Australia.

Thxbai.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 7:10:16 PM
Hmmmm...... what to ask.. an atheist... in a religion forum...... uhhh....mmm....... sorry drawing a blank lol.

Anything in particular you would like to share? I love fresh revelation...
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 7:42:07 PM
At 4/30/2015 7:10:16 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Hmmmm...... what to ask.. an atheist... in a religion forum...... uhhh....mmm....... sorry drawing a blank lol.

It seems as though you take issue with the fact that I put something about atheism in a religion forum. Although atheism is not a religion, I felt as though this forum best suited the topic, as it involved the religious asking questions.
-Richard Dawkins
-Richard Dawkins
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 8:29:18 PM

God, of course. There is no other evidence but God.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 9:22:06 PM
At 4/30/2015 7:42:07 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:

It seems as though you take issue with the fact that I put something about atheism in a religion forum. Although atheism is not a religion, I felt as though this forum best suited the topic, as it involved the religious asking questions.

Not an issue at all, sorry if that was offensive I just thought it was humorous.

Alright so how about a question....

Why do atheists always ask theists to produce physical evidence for something that is spiritual? Do atheists understand what "spirit" means? It means it is outside the domain of the physical where physical evidence is no longer viable, because the two are incompatible with one another. A person can have certainty about the existence of God because it is a spiritual relation not a physical one, so having to produce physical evidence is out of the question because God is Spirit, not flesh.
So then you're going to say "well why should I believe in anything without evidence to support it?" Well no one is saying you have to, but rather be willing to expand your knowledge beyond that of the physical when you visit the religion forum, otherwise you will just hit the same wall over and over, this becomes the repeating pattern in the religious forum that travels in a continuous circular motion with no hope of change lol, sorry about the rant.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 9:07:30 AM
At 4/30/2015 9:22:06 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Not an issue at all, sorry if that was offensive I just thought it was humorous.

Why do atheists always ask theists to produce physical evidence for something that is spiritual? Do atheists understand what "spirit" means? It means it is outside the domain of the physical where physical evidence is no longer viable, because the two are incompatible with one another. A person can have certainty about the existence of God because it is a spiritual relation not a physical one, so having to produce physical evidence is out of the question because God is Spirit, not flesh.
So then you're going to say "well why should I believe in anything without evidence to support it?" Well no one is saying you have to, but rather be willing to expand your knowledge beyond that of the physical when you visit the religion forum, otherwise you will just hit the same wall over and over, this becomes the repeating pattern in the religious forum that travels in a continuous circular motion with no hope of change lol, sorry about the rant.

Sorry, there is nothing beyond the physical. Thought, emotion, cognition, sapience, self-awareness, all are based in the physical structure of the brain. Without our physical bodies we don't exist. So, when you try to assert that there is something beyond the physical you are making an excuse to believe something that cannot be demonstrated and making your faith immune from criticism and question. It's just a way to deceive oneself, nothing more.
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:56:32 AM
At 4/30/2015 9:22:06 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

First of all, I was not in any way offended by your comment earlier. Secondly, the comment that there is no evidence of a God is usually in retaliation to those who make the claim that they can prove the existence of a god, but do not. The reason that I only accept physical evidence is because physical evidence is the only evidence that is verifiable, people can bring out an infinite number of opposing ideas supported by spiritual evidence, and they all have equivalent legitimacy to each other. I like to think of myself as open minded, and if physical evidence of a god was provided, I would likely believe in one.
-Richard Dawkins
-Richard Dawkins
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 1:39:42 PM
At 4/30/2015 7:08:44 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
As an atheist, must you complain about religion?

While you're reeling from my last skewering, Joe, please could you also think about the following:

The US Pilgrim Fathers were all religious, so don't you think your atheism is Unamerican? (I don't know that you're actually from America, but even if you're not, don't you think you are?)

Also, are you a left-leaning, hedonistic, drug-addicted, polyamorous bisexual or gay felon? Or if not, don't you know some atheists who are?

Have you ever admired Josef Stalin, Benito Mussolini, Adolph Hitler, Josef Tito or Mao Tse-Tung? If not, why not, when they were all atheists like you?

Also, could you please prove it just like you want the faithful to prove there's God?

Also, please prove abiogenesis, and Australia.

Thxbai
If you aren't a Christian, you aren't an American. That's why half of our founding fathers aren't really American, because they were deists.

I am all of those things. I have yet to have meet an atheist who was not.

I only admire Mao Zedong and Joseph Stalin. This is because they supported a communist government, and as we all know, all atheists are communists.

I cannot prove that there is no God. Everyone knows the burden of proof is on me. I have failed and will now get violently beaten by Richard Dawkins for my inadequacy.

I cannot prove abiogenesis or Australia, even though there are a vast number of record of Australia, I cannot prove its existence.

You have defeated me again. C U l8r
-Richard Dawkins
-Richard Dawkins
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 1:40:43 PM
At 4/30/2015 3:59:22 PM, debate_power wrote:

I love how you took that seriously. I sincerely apologize.

It's fine. If you hadn't asked, someone else would have.
-Richard Dawkins
-Richard Dawkins