Jump to topic:

Why does God play favorites?

Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 11:37:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Seems like God having a little devil on one shoulder and a little angel on the other.

The twins of free will choice for the creation in between the pointed yet rounded ears of God.

Makes sense in invisible God terms.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:38:53 AM
At 4/21/2015 11:26:19 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Jacob I have loved, and Esau I have hated. -God

To paraphrase a poster in your other thread:

It could be that God is not just or there is no God.
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:49:20 AM
At 4/22/2015 12:38:53 AM, dee-em wrote:

To paraphrase a poster in your other thread:

It could be that God is not just or there is no God.

I like the way you said that.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:50:10 AM

Why does God play favourites?
Because the author of God decided he can.

Was the author personifying the aspect of human bias since humans can love one person and hate another?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:51:17 AM

Are you even a christian anymore?
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:53:56 AM
At 4/22/2015 12:51:17 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Yes. Christians can question God.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:57:14 AM
Why not?

And why call it "playing"? Doesn't that imply a sort of arbitrary nature to Gods mercy?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 12:58:22 AM

Don't accuse God of having commited genocide. He might get offended by this.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 1:11:02 AM
At 4/22/2015 12:58:22 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

By the way, I subscribe to the view that God is primarily responsible for the modern wreck of the world. Man has definitely contributed to the mess. But God created, nurtured, and decided to be creative with him . . . he's far more culpable than any men in this global mess!
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 1:19:51 AM
At 4/22/2015 12:53:56 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 4/22/2015 12:51:17 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Yes. Christians can question God.

But you're not questioning God. You're asking questions to people, one lined questions that even devils advocate atheist could answer. You've done no searching for an answer yourself.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 1:55:37 AM
At 4/22/2015 1:11:02 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 4/22/2015 12:58:22 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

By the way, I subscribe to the view that God is primarily responsible for the modern wreck of the world. Man has definitely contributed to the mess. But God created, nurtured, and decided to be creative with him . . . he's far more culpable than any men in this global mess!

Okay. I probably let the devil take over here. I probably could have restrained myself more. With this clarification, I'm not saying that God doesn't play a role in our problems, but I'm probably overemphasizing his contribution to evil in the world. Humans definitely contribute a large share of evil in this world.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 2:39:00 AM
Jacob I have loved, and Esau I have hated. -God : :

This is a symbolic phrase meaning God loves His creation but has made plans to destroy the visible objects on this planet. I know this sounds crazy but it is true. Most everything written in the OT is symbolic with much deeper meanings that only our Creator understands and the saints He uses to testify to His knowledge of the past, present and future.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 6:09:45 PM
At 4/22/2015 2:32:24 AM, JJ50 wrote:
The so called 'favourites' created their version of the deity to favour them, lol!

Yeah. This is probably true.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 6:34:00 PM

It's answered in the same verses quoted.

Malachi 1:2-3
2 a"I have loved you," says the Lord. bBut you say, "How have you loved us?" "Is not Esau cJacob"s brother?" declares the Lord. "Yet dI have loved Jacob 3 but Esau I have hated. eI have laid waste his hill country and left his heritage to jackals of the desert." 4 If Edom says, "We are shattered but we will rebuild the ruins," the Lord of hosts says, "They may build, but I will tear down, and they will be called "the wicked country," and "the people with whom the Lord is angry forever." " 5 fYour own eyes shall see this, and you shall say, "Great is the Lord beyond the border of Israel!"

This verse is referring to Israel and Edom. Saying tho all countries are brothers, God favors Israel to bring about his purpose.

This line and further explanation to individuals is given in Romans 9:10-13
And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, 11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad"in order that God"s purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls" 12 she was told, u"The older will serve the younger." 13 As it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

So God loves those for his purpose, and hate those that don't achieve his purpose.
Rosco_P_Coletrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 6:44:20 PM

That can be a dilly to understand, especially as Paul told us at Romans 9:11 that these were, quote, "being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil."

The problem is in that we today always tend to think of hate merely as an emotion. The Bible quite correctly does not do that. Even today to hate something can mean either to hate it by being posed against it emotionally or just by resisting it outwardly by our actions.

You no doubt have had experiences in your life similar to my own where someone accused me of hating them based upon something I had done which got in their way so that they were halted from doing what it was they wanted to do. And I never even so much as felt hatred for them but was just going about my business of trying to do what I thought right for me to do.

So what does hate really mean? Left to our modern dictionaries or our Bible word lexicographers either one, we would think it is always and emotional thing. Both Webster and our modern lexicographers are wrong.

To correctly understand that the basic thought of the word is, "to assert resistance", whether we resist others in our emotions or only by our actions alone.

But unless one has done a detailed analysis of all scriptures which use that word in the Bible, they would not know that.

Most people have no idea how primitive we yet are in our intelligence. We have spent so much time thinking we are intelligent that we no longer are able to see where we are not.
Rosco_P_Coletrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 7:30:38 PM
I should have that this application of resistance is as defined by the word hate is more than a mere being opposed to but though it can be as great as an absolute abhorrence it does not have to be.

That is why "abhor" is a different Greek word, G0655 - apostugeo - "from 575 and the base of 4767; to detest utterly", whereas the word hatred at Romans 9:12 is G3404 - miseo - "from a primary misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension, to love less.'

To love less is to support less, is it not? And to not support or support less is a kind of passive resistance, is it not?

The old saying is true that if we are not a part of the cure we are a part of the problem.

But Paul told us exactly why God so resisted Esau: Romans 9:11 "(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

In other words, so we would know God owes us nothing, so if we want a place with him in good standing we must obey him.

He cannot benefit us if we do not obey him so as to allow him to be of benefit to us. His goal is to: "teacheth thee to profit" Isaiah 48:17

Read Isaiah 1:10-17
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 8:56:15 PM
At 4/22/2015 7:30:38 PM, Rosco_P_Coletrain wrote:
I should have that this application of resistance is as defined by the word hate is more than a mere being opposed to but though it can be as great as an absolute abhorrence it does not have to be.

That is why "abhor" is a different Greek word, G0655 - apostugeo - "from 575 and the base of 4767; to detest utterly", whereas the word hatred at Romans 9:12 is G3404 - miseo - "from a primary misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension, to love less.'

Uh no, hatred is not to love less as there is no love at all with hatred as can be seen by the definition you provided; to detest, which is the same as abhor; to detest. Why you would change the meaning entirely is puzzling.

To love less is to support less, is it not? And to not support or support less is a kind of passive resistance, is it not?

That's some real mental gymnastics you're performing there. lol.

The old saying is true that if we are not a part of the cure we are a part of the problem.

But Paul told us exactly why God so resisted Esau: Romans 9:11 "(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

In other words, so we would know God owes us nothing, so if we want a place with him in good standing we must obey him.

We're not children, we don't need to suck up to a father figure just to win over favor, that's rather childish and egotistic.

He cannot benefit us if we do not obey him so as to allow him to be of benefit to us. His goal is to: "teacheth thee to profit" Isaiah 48:17

Read Isaiah 1:10-17
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Rosco_P_Coletrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 12:03:16 AM
DanneJeRusse,

That "love less" was Strong's Greek Dictionary's words.

Remember I said our lexicographers have botched that even as Websters has.

You are right that "love less" is an illogical stretch from the way they define "hate".

So now, do as I said and get your concordance out and let the comparison of the many occurrences of the word hate in the Bible teach you what the word really means.

If you resist doing that, that is not my problem.

But the word does merely mean "to resist", or even "to prevent".

It's true nature is a verb. And verbs perform actions.
AngelKnows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 1:11:15 AM

God does not play favorites. Jacob did what was right Esau did what was selfish. God said this:
If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it."
~Genesis 4:7

This particular passage pertained to Cain in the Cain & Able story, but it is just the same story, over and over again.
Rosco_P_Coletrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 1:57:05 AM
At 4/23/2015 1:11:15 AM, AngelKnows wrote:

God does not play favorites. Jacob did what was right Esau did what was selfish. God said this:
If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it."

This particular passage pertained to Cain in the Cain & Able story, but it is just the same story, over and over again.

As that is true, neither does God play favorites by always taking the firstborn of the flesh as his choice, just as Paul said at Romans 9:11.

The same Greek word for "hate" as used at Romans 9:13 (taken of Malachi 1:2-3) is also used here as follows:

Luke 14:26 "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

It would be utterly ridiculous to think that Jesus meant we are to loath our flesh and blood families, and therefore it can only mean that we must resist them when they do and say things to discourage our faith.

Hate Definitions

Dictionary dot Com:

verb (used with object), hated, hating.
to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest:
to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.
to be unwilling; dislike:
I hate to do it.

<><><><><><><><>

British Dictionary definitions for hate:

hate
verb
1. to dislike (something) intensely; detest
2. (intransitive) to be unwilling (to be or do something)
AngelKnows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 2:03:07 AM
At 4/23/2015 1:57:05 AM, Rosco_P_Coletrain wrote:

As that is true, neither does God play favorites by always taking the firstborn of the flesh as his choice, just as Paul said at Romans 9:11.

The same Greek word for "hate" as used at Romans 9:13 (taken of Malachi 1:2-3) is also used here as follows:

Luke 14:26 "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

It would be utterly ridiculous to think that Jesus meant we are to loath our flesh and blood families, and therefore it can only mean that we must resist them when they do and say things to discourage our faith.

Hate Definitions

Dictionary dot Com:

to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest:
I hate to do it.

<><><><><><><><>

hate
verb

I am having a difficult time coming to terms with your response. It made sense, was devoid of insults, used evidence to support its logic, and I agree with it. For this forum that is simply a new concept to me. A welcome one, but a new one.
Rosco_P_Coletrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 2:09:54 AM
At 4/23/2015 2:03:07 AM, AngelKnows wrote:
At 4/23/2015 1:57:05 AM, Rosco_P_Coletrain wrote:

Hate Definitions

Dictionary dot Com:

I hate to do it.

<><><><><><><><>

hate
verb

I am having a difficult time coming to terms with your response. It made sense, was devoid of insults, used evidence to support its logic, and I agree with it. For this forum that is simply a new concept to me. A welcome one, but a new one.

Thank you for saying so.

That is refreshing to hear and I promise I won't let it grow me a big head. LOL.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 8:56:48 AM

Have you noticed that all gods ever recorded had favorites and played favorites? That they all have human qualities even though they are supposed to be divine, all powerful, all wise? Well, it's because they were all created by humans and, of course, their creators are their favorites. It's not a hard thing to understand.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 9:55:49 AM
At 4/23/2015 12:03:16 AM, Rosco_P_Coletrain wrote:
DanneJeRusse,

You are right that "love less" is an illogical stretch from the way they define "hate".

So now, do as I said and get your concordance out and let the comparison of the many occurrences of the word hate in the Bible teach you what the word really means.

It means hate as is defined, to detest, to abhor. This is a common theme with the God of the Bible.

No, it doesn't and no amount of mental gymnastics will change that. If it meant those words, then it would used them instead of the word hate.

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 10:53:45 AM
I wonder if you guys actually have READ the story of Jacob and Esau...you guys do know how it ends right?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Rosco_P_Coletrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 12:32:07 PM
At 4/23/2015 9:55:49 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
DanneJeRusse,

It means hate as is defined, to detest, to abhor. This is a common theme with the God of the Bible.

No, it doesn't and no amount of mental gymnastics will change that. If it meant those words, then it would used them instead of the word hate.

Then that proves they used the wrong word to translate the Greek word, "miseo".

Either that or you believe you are supposed to, to quote you, "detest", your own mother and brothers and sisters as well as your own life, according to Luke 14:26.

Pardon me for saying this, but to take it that way sounds like mental illness.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 11:36:28 AM
At 4/23/2015 12:32:07 PM, Rosco_P_Coletrain wrote:
At 4/23/2015 9:55:49 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
DanneJeRusse,

Then that proves they used the wrong word to translate the Greek word, "miseo".

Either that or you believe you are supposed to, to quote you, "detest", your own mother and brothers and sisters as well as your own life, according to Luke 14:26.

Pardon me for saying this, but to take it that way sounds like mental illness.

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:26."

That is mental illness. Absolutely. That passage demands that we reject our own family members for Jesus. That is indeed insane.

"The love of a Christian for a non-Christian is almost always seen as hatred, intolerance, bigotry, etc. But we must be okay with being seen as "hating." After all, our unbelieving relatives are part of the world, and Jesus said, ""If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first" (John 15:18).