Jump to topic:

A.D. vs. Common Era

Human_Joke65
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:16:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
C.E. is a pathetic secular attempt to remove Jesus as the focal point of history. If it had any hope of being clever, it would have avoided the same timeline completely and forge a new basis on which to measure humanity's notable activities up until now. Just changing the name but keeping basically the exact timeline is rather obvious as to the intentions of the new historical agenda. Omitting Jesus's birth, skipping 0 A.D., is a BAD JOKE. Atheism is the punchline.
God's a comedian and atheism is a punch line waiting to happen.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:23:10 PM
Getting "Common Era" designation was more a Jewish warfare move than atheist although the two groups include both. Judaism will always be at war with Christianity as it is based on opposition to humanity, i.e. humankind, i.e. the Nations, i.e. Gentiles, i.e. Goyim, i.e. "cattle" as that's the way Judaism teaches Jews to perceive Goyim in their most holy book, the Talmud.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 9:29:14 PM
Jesus at least up-grades humanity to "sheep"..but actually that's a fairly accurate description of humanity in the way it acts with sheep following a shepherd who leads them hither and yon. "Feed My sheep", says Jesus. Baaaa, baaaaaaa,

I would raise wolves trained with Australian shepherd mothers as cubs to herd sheep and protect them in a manner no sheep dog could. This sheep outfit I have to wear is scratchy though..
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 10:00:54 PM
At 4/22/2015 9:16:18 PM, Human_Joke65 wrote:
C.E. is a pathetic secular attempt to remove Jesus as the focal point of history. [...] Atheism is the punchline.
It is secular, in the sense of putting the needs of people before faith.

Only about a third of the world's population are Christian, yet several non-Christian countries use the Gregorian calendar -- including Turkey and Japan, as well as non-Christian citizens of Christian-majority countries.

Every calendar needs a reference date, but not every citizen of every country needs to reference Jesus when preparing tax statements.

Conclusion: secularism isn't atheism.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 6:57:50 AM
C.E. is a pathetic secular attempt to remove Jesus as the focal point of history. If it had any hope of being clever, it would have avoided the same timeline completely and forge a new basis on which to measure humanity's notable activities up until now. Just changing the name but keeping basically the exact timeline is rather obvious as to the intentions of the new historical agenda. Omitting Jesus's birth, skipping 0 A.D., is a BAD JOKE. Atheism is the punchline.

They found a birth certificate for Jesus? Oh, I hadn't heard. Lol.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 7:24:29 AM
At 4/23/2015 6:57:50 AM, dee-em wrote:

I thought the same thing - I guess Joke is not aware scholars do no think Jesus (if he existed) was born in 0CE er AD.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 7:32:41 AM
Omitting Jesus's birth, skipping 0 A.D., is a BAD JOKE. Atheism is the punchline.

Jesus born in 0 A.D.? Pope Gregory and his minions got that little detail wrong. Oops.

Miscalculating the date of the nativity is a BAD JOKE. Christianity is the punchline.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 7:39:53 AM
At 4/23/2015 7:24:29 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/23/2015 6:57:50 AM, dee-em wrote:

I thought the same thing - I guess Joke is not aware scholars do no think Jesus (if he existed) was born in 0CE er AD.

Good point. Basing the counting of years on the guesstimated birth of a mythical character is a TERRIBLE JOKE. Christianity is the punchline.

Perhaps we should change it to the birth-date of Harry Potter instead. Just to get it current and hip with young people. Then Mr Joke could not complain.
Human_Joke65
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 3:05:03 PM
That the best you can do? I was aware 0 A.D. isn't accurate. I just don't care about trivial crap. The principle of it is, you can't handle Jesus being the focus of historical chronology because you have an agenda to erase a supposedly fictional messiah from humanity's memory. Getting rid of Christians would be more effective...oh wait, Jesus already thought of that.
God's a comedian and atheism is a punch line waiting to happen.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 3:43:06 PM
At 4/23/2015 3:05:03 PM, Human_Joke65 wrote:
That the best you can do? I was aware 0 A.D. isn't accurate. I just don't care about trivial crap. The principle of it is, you can't handle Jesus being the focus of historical chronology because you have an agenda to erase a supposedly fictional messiah from humanity's memory. Getting rid of Christians would be more effective...oh wait, Jesus already thought of that.

And Christians seem to see conspiracy around every corner.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 3:54:27 PM
At 4/23/2015 3:05:03 PM, Human_Joke65 wrote:
you can't handle Jesus being the focus of historical chronology because you have an agenda to erase a supposedly fictional messiah from humanity's memory.
Various atheists feel differently about religion, HJ. Some reject it for themselves but don't oppose it for others. Some feel certain kinds of religion are bad; some feel all kinds are bad. So please be careful not to generalise.

Moreover, regardless of all that, the 'CE' terminology is actually quite old, and a Christian term. In English it dates back to at least 1708. [http://books.google.com.au...], but the Latin equivalent, vulgaris aerae, dates back to 1615 [http://www.worldcat.org...]

So the 'CE' terminology was introduced and used by European Christians as an 'AD' equivalent. It has been picked up by secularists to better support pluralism, but there's no special disrespect to Christianity in using it.

Nor are all secularists atheists. Many secularists are Christians, for example. The history of secularism dates back many centuries, and secularism itself owes a great deal to interfaith Christian contributions.

Time to put the tinfoil hat back in the drawer, HJ, before you live up to your name. :)
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 9:19:12 PM

First of all, there's a massive difference between secularism and atheism; a difference that you seem to be ignoring with your statement here. The CE "movement" is a secularist movement, atheism has nothing to do with it. Your statement here would be akin to me saying "Russia taking Crimea is a joke, and Latvia is the punchline". Secondly, the birth of Jesus was by no means the most significant thing to happen. I think a better point in history to base our calendars off of is the point where the Roman Empire fell, as that has influenced the world much more then the birth of Jesus. Thirdly, only 1/3 of the world is Christian, while the majority of the world uses the Gregorian calendar. Why should some Indian Hindu be forced to reference someone they may not even believe in every time they want to pay their taxes or simply write the date? Just because the majority of Americans are Christians does not mean that the same is true all over the world. I personally do not care all that much about A.D vs. common era, but if I was made to pick one, it would definitely be common era.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins