Jump to topic:

worst things happen to christians

Aphrodite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2009 9:27:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
honestly i have never known a christian who hasn't had something go terribly wrong in their life.oh the irony of faith
Nobody
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2009 9:28:34 PM
Faith is unprovable... Faith has the burden of proof to prove its very belief and yet faith itself tries to put the burden on atheists.
Aphrodite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2009 9:44:59 PM
the christian "faith" would not exist if some insane man didn't come and say he was god Christians are also insane because their beliefs are based on cannibalism. the mire thought of it is insane
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2009 10:00:25 PM
At 1/9/2009 9:44:59 PM, Aphrodite wrote:
the christian "faith" would not exist if some insane man didn't come and say he was god Christians are also insane because their beliefs are based on cannibalism. the mire thought of it is insane

I know! it also wouldn't exist if there weren't hundreds of lunatics who prophesized about it hundreds of years before it occurred! Or if the entire nation of Rome wasn't convinced. Or if half the globe didn't believe in it!

What idiots!

I don't think its based on cannibalism though. I was under the impression it was based upon the belief that whales are actually winged demons and only believers can see them.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2009 10:01:09 PM
At 1/9/2009 9:28:34 PM, Nobody wrote:
Faith is unprovable... Faith has the burden of proof to prove its very belief and yet faith itself tries to put the burden on atheists.

Atheists attempt to put that same burden on Christians.

Hypocrisy.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2009 11:56:17 PM
At 1/9/2009 10:01:09 PM, askbob wrote:
At 1/9/2009 9:28:34 PM, Nobody wrote:

Atheists attempt to put that same burden on Christians.

Because...

Christians have it?

The burden of proof for an outrageous claim goes to the one making it. An omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent being is a pretty outrageous claim.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2009 11:59:06 PM
btw, Christians only have a third of the world, not half. So your ad populum doesn't even have it's numbers right:

http://www.religioustolerance.org...

lol.
what's this prophesy you're going on about anyway?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 6:48:50 AM
The burden of proof for an outrageous claim goes to the one making it.

If I made the claim that aliens existed, others would say that I have the burden of proof.

But how is this any different from claiming that there is no God?

The odds that there are even planets that support other life are small at best.

A primeval atom (of which we do not know the origin) appears and expands outward at a constant rate. Thousands of years later you have intelligent life.

To expect an action out of no reaction to me seems the least plausible course to me. To speculate that time has no origin seems least likely. So keep mind what you perceive as ludicrous.
DiablosChaosBroker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 6:55:05 AM
At 1/9/2009 9:27:14 PM, Aphrodite wrote:
honestly i have never known a christian who hasn't had something go terribly wrong in their life.oh the irony of faith

Me! I'm currently a valedictorian in my high school with a 4.6 GPA. Nothing did happen bad to me.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 6:57:32 AM
If you don't want to believe in God, that's fine. Don't try and make people believe how you do though. Let people believe what they want to believe. Why the heck should I have to prove to you that God exists? I don't care if you don't believe so since you're trying to change my belief that means the burden of proof lies on you? Doesn't it?

Whoever is trying to prove the other wrong has the burden of proof. It's not always the Christian's job and not always the atheist' job. :D
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
DiablosChaosBroker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 6:59:58 AM
Christains have the burden of proof that God exists.

HOWEVER, atheists have the burden of proof that intelligent life from other planets exist. If they cannot prove it, Christians already won their fine-tuning universe argument.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 7:06:05 AM
An atheist and a christian meet up and start talking.

Example 1:

The atheist tries to make the Christian see that there is no God while the christian simply says "I believe in him, if you don't, that's fine with me." In this situation since the atheist is trying to prove God doesn't exist he has the burden of proof.

Example 2:

The Christian tries to turn the atheist into a believer. The atheist argues back adn tries to take away the Christian's belief. In this situation both have the burden of proof.

Example 3:

The Christian tries to turn the atheist into a believer. The atheist just says some comments like "it's not possible" or "unrealistic" and doesn't try and change the Christian's opinion. In this case the Christian has the burden of proof.

I had more but I got to go.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:02:25 AM
At 1/10/2009 6:59:58 AM, DiablosChaosBroker wrote:
Christains have the burden of proof that God exists.

HOWEVER, atheists have the burden of proof that intelligent life from other planets exist. If they cannot prove it, Christians already won their fine-tuning universe argument.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Also, christians have the burden of proving their fine tuning argument, and that entails more than just pointing out that there isn't any other major life we have observed.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:08:03 AM
At 1/10/2009 6:56:39 AM, DiablosChaosBroker wrote:
Oh yeah worst things happen to atheists. You know, when they smoke pot, kill, and commit a crime, etc.

Oh you! Because, of course, Christians don't do that sort of thing, and atheists do.
I think, if you did an actual statistical analysis of the situation, you'd find that roughly the same percentages of each group do such things, _even though_ Christians are automatically not supposed to.

Also, prisons have about the same percentage of Christians as in the general population, and they have fewer atheists than in the general population. Course, that data's from about 10 years ago, so maybe it's different now.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:10:15 AM
At 1/10/2009 8:07:57 AM, DiablosChaosBroker wrote:
Let's see: there's no evidence that intelligent extraterrestrial exists.
There's no evidence of the multiverse theory.
I agree. There's also no evidence for the fine tuning side. The most we could say is "I dunno."
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:13:17 AM

There's no evidence of God either...
DiablosChaosBroker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:14:22 AM
At 1/10/2009 8:13:17 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

There's no evidence of God either...

No concrete proof you mean. I can list all evidence pointing to God even though it doesn't prove without a doubt that God exists.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:22:13 AM
At 1/10/2009 8:10:24 AM, DiablosChaosBroker wrote:
How do you find out that prisioner's belief?

Some kind of anonymous census, methinks. Not sure, but I'm sure the methods aren't _too_ flawed, since the data was from the Us Federal Bureau of Prisons or something like that.
DiablosChaosBroker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:25:02 AM
Won't it be easier for all atheists prisoners to claim that they're Christians to make it look like most people in prison are Christians?
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:28:44 AM
At 1/10/2009 8:25:02 AM, DiablosChaosBroker wrote:
Won't it be easier for all atheists prisoners to claim that they're Christians to make it look like most people in prison are Christians?

Wouldn't it be easier for Christians all to claim to be atheists?
And yet, if they did, it was only a few of them.
DiablosChaosBroker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:31:55 AM
At 1/10/2009 8:29:29 AM, beem0r wrote:
Inb4 Christians don't lie, even the Christians who go to prison.

What if they aren't real Christians? I'm sure that you can claim to be a Christian and people would believe you, I think.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:33:43 AM
My brain hurts after reading this thread.

The lengths people will go to in order to have an imaginary friend, that's what is unbelievable.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:37:10 AM
At 1/10/2009 8:31:55 AM, DiablosChaosBroker wrote:
What if they aren't real Christians? I'm sure that you can claim to be a Christian and people would believe you, I think.
What if they aren't real atheists? I'm sure you can claim to be an atheist and people would believe you.

Chances are, the survey was not done in a way that caused people to lie. If it was, we would have a lot more religious people calling themselves atheists.

Of course, religion is very accepted among the extremely poor, and the poor are over-represented in prisons. Statistically, atheists tend to be middle and upper class, with very few in the lower class being atheists.
That probably explains the under-representation.
DiablosChaosBroker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 8:47:28 AM
Christians are not supposed to commit a crime, so I think that those Christians just say they're Christians even though they are not really. What defines a Christain? A person who commits crime but believes in God regardless of the Ten Commandments or a person who doesn't commit a crime and follows the ethnics of Christianity.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 9:03:40 AM
At 1/10/2009 8:33:43 AM, s0m31john wrote:
My brain hurts after reading this thread.

The lengths people will go to in order to have an imaginary friend, that's what is unbelievable.

Perhaps I find that the lengths people to convince others that a primeval atom expanded of its own accord, and furthermore that time is an infinite dimension, unbelievable entirely.

Especially when they gain nothing from it.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2009 9:04:11 AM
At 1/10/2009 8:47:28 AM, DiablosChaosBroker wrote:
Christians are not supposed to commit a crime, so I think that those Christians just say they're Christians even though they are not really. What defines a Christain? A person who commits crime but believes in God regardless of the Ten Commandments or a person who doesn't commit a crime and follows the ethnics of Christianity.

A Christian is someone who believes in Jesus as their savior. One can be a Christian and still commit as much or more sin as the average Joe.