Jump to topic:

My Church

PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:29:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
There is a mosque located about two blocks away from my church and as a sign of interfaith community we felt it would be appropriate to reach out to the Muslims. However I was shocked by how things turned out. It started last Friday, my church was having a barbecue. We invited them and told them they could have Pork Chops, Sausages, Bacon or some rotisserie Pork. Not only did the muslims refused to attend they called us islamophobic and called the ACLU on us. WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
Super Man does not come close to the power of Jesus Christ - GodSands
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:31:00 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:29:26 PM, PalinFan wrote:
There is a mosque located about two blocks away from my church and as a sign of interfaith community we felt it would be appropriate to reach out to the Muslims. However I was shocked by how things turned out. It started last Friday, my church was having a barbecue. We invited them and told them they could have Pork Chops, Sausages, Bacon or some rotisserie Pork. Not only did the muslims refused to attend they called us islamophobic and called the ACLU on us. WHAT SHOULD WE DO?

Well that is certainly interesting. It's a bit ridiculous that they would call you islamophobic just for offering them pork. If it was me I probably would have just laughed and kindly refused.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:33:30 PM

Sounds like your church intended to offend them by offering pork.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:35:55 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:35:02 PM, Koopin wrote:
Lol, funny

Just a bit. You don't see Jews calling people Anti-semites for offering them pork.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:36:23 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:33:30 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Indeed.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:38:30 PM

Or at the very least they were incredibly insensitive to/ignorant of strictures against eating certain foods in Islam. Hardly a good way to start an interfaith community.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:39:21 PM
Generally, when you invite people of another culture over for a meal, you respect that other culture. The people of your church are apparently terrible hosts.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:40:23 PM
Personally, I think it would be great if the mosque and the church could find some common ground, but dietary habits are apparently not common.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:45:43 PM

as yourself- if the positions were reversed, what would they do? and yes, i think you should definitely volunteer for suicide bomber duty.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:49:25 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:39:21 PM, mongeese wrote:
Generally, when you invite people of another culture over for a meal, you respect that other culture. The people of your church are apparently terrible hosts.

If they want us to reach out to them they should christianize and eat what we eat!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:50:54 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:49:25 PM, PalinFan wrote:

If they want us to reach out to them they should christianize and eat what we eat!

Christians aren't supposed to eat pork either. ;) I know Seventh day Adventists don't .
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 7:53:20 PM

The purpose of this thread is for OP to make an ask of himself offending those he doesn't like and then receive attention.

I suggest we all /thread and /discussion.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 8:01:28 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:53:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:

The purpose of this thread is for OP to make an ask of himself offending those he doesn't like and then receive attention.

I suggest we all /thread and /discussion.
How do I deal with the ACLU?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 8:08:28 PM

...are you serious?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 8:57:30 PM
Lol. Didn't think that one through very well now did you?

If you were really trying to just show some interfaith community spirit, then you would have just invited them to the barbecue without specifying what was going to be served, or ideally, made arrangements for some halal stuff. The fact that you actually told them that they could only choose between a bunch of foods that they don't eat really just makes it look like your primary purpose was to offend. And it really came back to bite you in the @ss. I would ask if you've learned your lesson, but then I'd just feel like I was talking to a child.

As for the ACLU, you can either admit to being a jerk, or you can play the ignorance card (ie. lie to them). You could say something along the lines of "I thought pork was only prohibited during Ramadan". Although they'd probably call you out on that... either way. Good luck... I guess.
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2010 11:00:54 PM
At 8/2/2010 7:35:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, funny

Just a bit. You don't see Jews calling people Anti-semites for offering them pork.

A Imam, a Jain Saadhu, and a Rabbi were discussing dietary laws.

"I was attending a formal dinner and the menu was presented and it was all forbidden to me" said the Imam. "So I prayed to Allah and suddenly a separate tray was brought for me, everything halal and certified"

"Funny that" said the Jain priest," I also was attending a dinner and it turned out to be a "surf and turf" affair but I prayed and suddenly the most wonderful tray was served specially for me that I could enjoy with confidence!"

The Rabbi laughed. "Boys," he said, " I know what you mean. I was at a dinner and all they had was pork! I prayed to G-d and suddenly right there on my plate it turned into veal!"
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:57:43 AM

ha ha very funny. not.
The Cross.. the Cross.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 4:16:19 AM
i can't believe DATC is the only one that didn't take the op seriously o.o

what the hell is wrong with you people? lol...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 6:44:38 AM
At 8/2/2010 7:35:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Lol, funny

Are you joking?

I once hosted a delegation of travel agents from New York in London and met them for breakfast at their hotel.

The hotel was serving full English breakfast: bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms and black pudding.

None of these travel agents knew what black pudding was (one guessed sushi!) but I asked them to try it before I told them what it was made of.

They did, and they pronounced it delicious, but when I told them it was made from congealed pigs blood, pork fat and oatmeal, half of them spat it out in disgust and accused me of doing it deliberately because they were Jews!

I didn't know they were Jews! How was I supposed to know that there were Jews living in New York?

* evil laugh *
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 7:56:55 AM

I think so.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 10:44:29 AM

I would have done the same thing ONLY disguised the fact it was pork and not said a word!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:11:37 PM
At 8/3/2010 11:19:43 AM, Koopin wrote:
Give them KFC!

But they can eat KFC...unless you give'em pulled pork sandwiches! They'd never suspect! They'd be diggin' on swine and sh!t, yo!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:15:14 PM
At 8/3/2010 3:11:37 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 8/3/2010 11:19:43 AM, Koopin wrote:
Give them KFC!

But they can eat KFC...unless you give'em pulled pork sandwiches! They'd never suspect! They'd be diggin' on swine and sh!t, yo!

They can't have KFC products that have pork. ;) Many of them have bacon.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 11:08:57 PM
At 8/3/2010 11:02:16 PM, Zeitgeist wrote:
As a matter of fact KFC in the UK are running a number of their outlets that do adhere to Halal.

http://www.kfc.co.uk...

I have heard about that. I think they're doing it all over Europe.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 3:20:29 AM
At 8/3/2010 4:16:19 AM, belle wrote:
i can't believe DATC is the only one that didn't take the op seriously o.o

what the hell is wrong with you people? lol...

They utterly humourless/pretend atheist/psuedo intellectual/professional nerd/born again virgins?
The Cross.. the Cross.