Jump to topic:

Driving force for atheists

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 10:16:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't follow any sort of religion and don't believe in "god" so I suppose I can consider myself an "atheist." I don't think making labels about something I'm not is particularly accurate but I can't think of a better term so this will have to do. If I'm asked about my religion or given a form to fill out my religion, I would probably write "none" rather than "atheist."

But to get to the point, many atheists in the religion forum here as well as public speakers like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens seem pretty passionate about advocating their viewpoint. Not to mention some users even create usernames about atheism (Atheism_debater, WallStreetAtheist , etc). Why have such an investment over something you don't believe in?

I should be considered an "atheist" by all standards. I don't post in the religion forum at all. My care-o-meter for religion is pretty low, and I'm unimpressed by all the philosophical arguments like the ontological, cosmological, teleological, and whatever other arguments that essentially try to define god into existence. What is the motivation for posting here?

The one legitimate reason I can see is debunking some of the rather nonsensical arguments brought forth by the theists.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 10:28:09 PM
I post here to challenge what I know and believe. And I have a vested interest in understanding religion for a number of reasons. First, I have kids and I want to be able to help them figure out what they believe in a constructive way. With what I learn on religious forums, I can figure out good questions to ask my kids to get them to think about what they believe and why. Second, I, and other atheists such as yourself, run into religious bigotry and privilege more than you might recognize. Being able to confront it appropriately is important, and interactions on forums like this make for good practice. And, it's just nice entertainment to read some of the ridiculous things people post here. When I need a good laugh, there's always something absurd to read in this forum.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 11:07:44 PM
At 4/27/2015 10:16:06 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Why have such an investment over something you don't believe in?

Many theologies are prescriptive, F16. That means they aren't just a way one may choose to live: they claim authority over the way others should live, including:

* what may and may not be said;
* what art may and may not be created;
* what can and cannot be published, broadcast, or read;
* who may marry whom, or divorce them;
* who may have sex with whom, when and how;
* what foods can and cannot be eaten;
* how children must be educated and what they must be taught;
* how their genitals must be mutilated;
* who may associated with whom;
* how you must spend your money, pay taxes or vote; and
* who may and may not hold what jobs, take public office, or govern.

So, depending on religiosity, religion can either be advanced as an amendment to, or utter replacement for, secular democracy and secular notions of human rights.

Religiosity therefore isn't just a philosophical issue; it can be a moral and political issue too.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 11:48:47 PM
At 4/27/2015 11:07:44 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
Why have such an investment over something you don't believe in?

Many theologies are prescriptive, F16. That means they aren't just a way one may choose to live: they claim authority over the way others should live, including:

* what may and may not be said;
* what art may and may not be created;
* what can and cannot be published, broadcast, or read;
* who may marry whom, or divorce them;
* who may have sex with whom, when and how;
* what foods can and cannot be eaten;
* how children must be educated and what they must be taught;
* how their genitals must be mutilated;
* who may associated with whom;
* how you must spend your money, pay taxes or vote; and
* who may and may not hold what jobs, take public office, or govern.

So, depending on religiosity, religion can either be advanced as an amendment to, or utter replacement for, secular democracy and secular notions of human rights.

Religiosity therefore isn't just a philosophical issue; it can be a moral and political issue too.

This.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 1:50:41 AM
I don't follow any sort of religion and don't believe in "god" so I suppose I can consider myself an "atheist." I don't think making labels about something I'm not is particularly accurate but I can't think of a better term so this will have to do. If I'm asked about my religion or given a form to fill out my religion, I would probably write "none" rather than "atheist."

But to get to the point, many atheists in the religion forum here as well as public speakers like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens seem pretty passionate about advocating their viewpoint. Not to mention some users even create usernames about atheism (Atheism_debater, WallStreetAtheist , etc). Why have such an investment over something you don't believe in?

I should be considered an "atheist" by all standards. I don't post in the religion forum at all. My care-o-meter for religion is pretty low, and I'm unimpressed by all the philosophical arguments like the ontological, cosmological, teleological, and whatever other arguments that essentially try to define god into existence. What is the motivation for posting here?

The one legitimate reason I can see is debunking some of the rather nonsensical arguments brought forth by the theists. : :

Why are you in this forum to make this thread if you're not impressed with philosophical arguments? Do I smell a lie with this thread?

Not all theists are the same and neither are all the atheists. It's better if you remain an individual who isn't impressed by all the philosophical arguments.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 2:32:41 AM
The reason why I am a non believer is that when I was a 'born again' Christian as a youngster I didn't find the experience pleasant or fulfilling, just the opposite. The idea that people who don't believe in Jesus, however good they are, would go to hell is totally evil and nasty!
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 3:29:36 AM

The one legitimate reason I can see is debunking some of the rather nonsensical arguments brought forth by the theists.

And that's why we're here. Welcome to the religion forum ;)
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 8:47:42 AM

I rather think you answered your own question there, amigo. Ruv also makes a good point that religion is constantly trying to subvert or supplant our secular government and it needs to be monitored and fought as needed to prevent that catastrophic event from occurring. If you wonder what might happen, look back at the Dark Ages when the Church held sway over most of Europe.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 9:51:29 AM

In addition to the reasons already stated here for posting, I also enjoy just lurking in the religion forum because I often learn from the many bright and well-read atheist/skeptic posters here.

Off topic: Why do you have a profile photo that is related to, but not actually matching your screen name?
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz