Jump to topic:

The Meaning of Life

whatledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:50:18 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I am curious to hear the many beliefs/opinions on the meaning of life. What is the meaning, and why? All posts are welcome, but please try to keep them genuinely serious.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 9:57:58 AM
meaning is a function of Caring...

if you don't care about things.. things that happen don't have meaning.

there's no reason to say life has inherent meaning... it has meaning given that you care about it... or aspects of it.

Meaning doesn't stand alone. It is meaning TO me... or TO You..

so IF some sky dude made life then it would prolly have meaning TO "god"... BUT... even then there's no reason to call that "stand alone"/ABSOLUTE meaning..
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 10:04:01 AM
The meaning of Life depends on the individual.

For me- It is to fulfill God's will and go back home. All other things are worldly things. I came to this world to do God's will and nothing else. But it is sad that God reveals His will PROGRESSIVELY. God never reveals everything about His will all at once. God is going to reveal you step by step. I know which country to go now but what should I do there? God will reveal in His time.

Home means Paradise where I will praise God forever in eternity- The place where I belong.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 10:24:56 AM
At 8/3/2010 9:50:18 AM, whatledge wrote:
I am curious to hear the many beliefs/opinions on the meaning of life. What is the meaning, and why? All posts are welcome, but please try to keep them genuinely serious.

WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 11:22:05 AM
At 8/3/2010 11:19:14 AM, Koopin wrote:
At 8/3/2010 9:57:58 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Life has no meaning.

Are you sure?

I'm having trouble recalling when I wrote that :/ ???

I care about lotsa things.. ALL of which are a part of my life....

and many of which involve other instances of life.

so... many instances of life carry meaning along with them TO ME.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 11:25:57 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 12:04:46 PM

That doesn't make sense unless you define "meaning."

if you don't care about things.. things that happen don't have meaning.

Non-sequitur.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 12:08:18 PM
The meaning of life is to figure out the solution to this:

There's infinite things to know but a finite time to live.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 12:27:20 PM
At 8/3/2010 12:13:47 PM, badger wrote:
is there any god encouraging science?

I wouldn't think there's much science can do for biological immortality. I'm holding out for electric immortality.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 12:34:15 PM
the point of figuring out the maze is to get out. and you've brought that up a few times now.. any chance you'd like to show me what you're talking about?
signature
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 12:50:34 PM
At 8/3/2010 12:34:15 PM, badger wrote:
the point of figuring out the maze is to get out. and you've brought that up a few times now.. any chance you'd like to show me what you're talking about?

I dunno anything about a maze, but the concept behind electric immortality is that the brain is just a computer that interprets electrical signals. Therefore, why would it be impossible to create a computer that can do the same interpreting? You could then transfer your electrical impulses into a computer and extend your life indefinitely barring catastrophic failure.

This is likely the most viable way that immortality could be achieved.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 1:02:04 PM
At 8/3/2010 12:04:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That doesn't make sense unless you define "meaning."

I guess "meaning" meaning being significant... like that it matters.

two random planets collide... insignificant... who cares?

the moon is to collide into earth... I care... that would be a significant/meaningful occurrence to me.. b/c it would affect lots of things that I care about.

things/occurrences are meaningful when you care about them... or if they have some affect on what you care about.

Metaphysics:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 1:17:15 PM
Sometimes people associate their CAUSES of life with this PURPOSE of life.

Theists will say God gave them their purpose and will point at Atheists to say without God your purpose is evolution.

But I don't think HOW I exist has anything to do with WHY I SHOULD exist.

My purpose and morality comes from my self-evident knowledge that pleasure is intrinsically better than displeasure. So this is what I seek.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 1:23:02 PM
At 8/3/2010 12:50:34 PM, Korashk wrote:

I dunno anything about a maze, but the concept behind electric immortality is that the brain is just a computer that interprets electrical signals. Therefore, why would it be impossible to create a computer that can do the same interpreting? You could then transfer your electrical impulses into a computer and extend your life indefinitely barring catastrophic failure.

it wouldn't be extending your life though... you'd still die. 'twould be handy to keep a few of the geniuses around though.
signature
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 1:31:18 PM
I am curious to hear the many beliefs/opinions on the meaning of life. What is the meaning, and why? All posts are welcome, but please try to keep them genuinely serious.:

*shrugs*

Seems to me humans have been toiling over that one since this spinning mud ball began. No one has thus far given a sufficient reason beyond whatever meaning they assign to life. And then, of course, we can't forget the distinct possibility that there is no meaning to it at all.

I doubt we'll somehow untie the Gordian Knot on DDO. But don't let me stop you from having a good time...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 2:18:59 PM
God has told us the meaning of our lives !

To glorify Himself: Isa. 43:7, 1 Cor. 1:27-29, Rev. 4:11.

To demonstrate His many faceted wisdom to men and angels: Eph. 3:9-11, 1 Pet. 1:12.

To bring many new sons into glory Heb. 2:10.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:07:01 PM
At 8/3/2010 1:23:02 PM, badger wrote:

it wouldn't be extending your life though... you'd still die. 'twould be handy to keep a few of the geniuses around though.

Your body would die, but who cares about that. Your body is just a case for your mind. It is replaced by the computer. You'd continue to live until your computer broke without any failsafes in place.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:47:52 PM
At 8/3/2010 3:07:01 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 8/3/2010 1:23:02 PM, badger wrote:

Your body would die, but who cares about that. Your body is just a case for your mind. It is replaced by the computer. You'd continue to live until your computer broke without any failsafes in place.

so you think your mind is your electrical impulses?
signature
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:55:29 PM
I think the meaning of life is kinda self-evident. It only has meaning because we give it meaning (value). But we can only give it value because we're alive in the first place. Our existence and experiences shape the meaning and value of our lives. Without us valuing our own lives, it would have no inherent meaning.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:56:11 PM
At 8/3/2010 12:08:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The meaning of life is to figure out the solution to this:

There's infinite things to know but a finite time to live.

Why is that something that has to be solved? It sounds just like a regular assertion to me. You don't necessarily have to solve it so much as work around it lol or deal with it and make the best of it...?
President of DDO
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 3:59:34 PM
At 8/3/2010 12:27:20 PM, Korashk wrote:

I wouldn't think there's much science can do for biological immortality. I'm holding out for electric immortality.

even then eventually the universe will wind down and there won't be any exploitable energy gradients left. then bye bye immortality.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 4:03:27 PM
At 8/3/2010 3:59:34 PM, belle wrote:
At 8/3/2010 12:27:20 PM, Korashk wrote:

even then eventually the universe will wind down and there won't be any exploitable energy gradients left. then bye bye immortality.

I really should stop using the term immortality when I describe the process. It's not what I mean.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 4:05:41 PM
At 8/3/2010 4:03:27 PM, Korashk wrote:
I really should stop using the term immortality when I describe the process. It's not what I mean.

then what do you mean? extreme elongation of the lifespan?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 4:26:48 PM
At 8/3/2010 4:05:41 PM, belle wrote:
At 8/3/2010 4:03:27 PM, Korashk wrote:

then what do you mean? extreme elongation of the lifespan?

Basically.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 4:35:10 PM
At 8/3/2010 10:24:56 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:

This.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 5:34:04 PM
The meaning of life i will take as the purpose in life, and the purpose in life is growth. The purpose of our species is to grow, the purpose of each individual is to grow, the purpose of our civilizations is to grow. To what end? Don't know.