Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Theists

johnlubba
Posts: 2,919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.
annanicole
Posts: 21,128
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 3:24:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.

Announce it.
dee-em
Posts: 7,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:17:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.

The concept of God cannot be disproved. If some theist could define the attributes which God possessed with specificity and with compelling evidence for these attributes, then I believe a disproof is possible. Unfortunately theists either cannot define their God with any degree of consistency and completeness, or they can't explain how they know he possesses the properties they attribute to him. All they have is a nebulous concept.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
Geogeer
Posts: 5,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 11:16:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.

As all religion is about a quest for the truth it would be incumbent on me to announce it.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 12:48:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 11:16:12 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.

As all religion is about a quest for the truth it would be incumbent on me to announce it.

How can religion be incumbent on truth, if God doesn't exist. Religion would be redundant.
Geogeer
Posts: 5,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 12:50:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 12:48:32 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/29/2015 11:16:12 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.

As all religion is about a quest for the truth it would be incumbent on me to announce it.

How can religion be incumbent on truth, if God doesn't exist. Religion would be redundant.

And if God exists religion would be the greatest truth. Cuts both ways.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 12:59:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 12:50:42 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:48:32 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/29/2015 11:16:12 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.

As all religion is about a quest for the truth it would be incumbent on me to announce it.

How can religion be incumbent on truth, if God doesn't exist. Religion would be redundant.

And if God exists religion would be the greatest truth. Cuts both ways.

Not really, God can exist and many religions would not be true,

But if God does not exist, then no religion is true.
Geogeer
Posts: 5,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 1:24:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 12:59:38 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:50:42 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:48:32 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/29/2015 11:16:12 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.

As all religion is about a quest for the truth it would be incumbent on me to announce it.

How can religion be incumbent on truth, if God doesn't exist. Religion would be redundant.

And if God exists religion would be the greatest truth. Cuts both ways.


Not really, God can exist and many religions would not be true,

But if God does not exist, then no religion is true.

No disagreement, but I fail to see where you are going with this. The question was if the existence of God could be definitively disproven would you announce it. As such I replied that since religion is a quest for ultimate truth of the meaning of life one would have to announce it to be in conformance with the truth.

Thus if God could be disproved all theistic religion would by necessity cease. If the ultimate nature of God could be fully revealed, then only religions that conformed to that truth could continue to exist.
dhardage
Posts: 4,546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:37:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 1:24:15 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:59:38 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:50:42 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:48:32 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/29/2015 11:16:12 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.

As all religion is about a quest for the truth it would be incumbent on me to announce it.

How can religion be incumbent on truth, if God doesn't exist. Religion would be redundant.

And if God exists religion would be the greatest truth. Cuts both ways.


Not really, God can exist and many religions would not be true,

But if God does not exist, then no religion is true.

No disagreement, but I fail to see where you are going with this. The question was if the existence of God could be definitively disproven would you announce it. As such I replied that since religion is a quest for ultimate truth of the meaning of life one would have to announce it to be in conformance with the truth.

Thus if God could be disproved all theistic religion would by necessity cease. If the ultimate nature of God could be fully revealed, then only religions that conformed to that truth could continue to exist.

You assume that everyone would believe you and accept your evidence as factual. That's not a common occurrence for religious people who have their beliefs challenged by contravening facts.
Geogeer
Posts: 5,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:51:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 4:37:47 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 4/29/2015 1:24:15 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:59:38 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:50:42 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:48:32 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/29/2015 11:16:12 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.

As all religion is about a quest for the truth it would be incumbent on me to announce it.

How can religion be incumbent on truth, if God doesn't exist. Religion would be redundant.

And if God exists religion would be the greatest truth. Cuts both ways.


Not really, God can exist and many religions would not be true,

But if God does not exist, then no religion is true.

No disagreement, but I fail to see where you are going with this. The question was if the existence of God could be definitively disproven would you announce it. As such I replied that since religion is a quest for ultimate truth of the meaning of life one would have to announce it to be in conformance with the truth.

Thus if God could be disproved all theistic religion would by necessity cease. If the ultimate nature of God could be fully revealed, then only religions that conformed to that truth could continue to exist.

You assume that everyone would believe you and accept your evidence as factual. That's not a common occurrence for religious people who have their beliefs challenged by contravening facts.

I'm merely continuing the argument under the initial premise whereby the proof was indisputably conclusive.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:53:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 3:22:27 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Theists,

If you somehow found a way to disprove the existence of God, beyond any doubt, do you think it wound be better to announce it or keep it secret?

Responses should be relevant to the Op.

Announce it. It would be a revolutionary statement.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
johnlubba
Posts: 2,919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 1:34:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 1:30:07 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/1/2015 11:10:15 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Bump

Tiddley Ump-ump, Bump Bump

What's your answer, CornishBiker?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 13,644
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 10:55:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2015 12:59:38 PM, johnlubba wrote:

Not really, God can exist and many religions would not be true,

But if God does not exist, then no religion is true.

Very sensible, John. Since you've only got one response from a theist, maybe we can hear your take on the question?

Firstly, I would ask what kind of evidence or proof could one have that everyone on the planet would agree?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
There would be peace if you obeyed us.~Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Welfare-Worker
Posts: 1,694
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 11:28:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2015 10:55:13 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 4/29/2015 12:59:38 PM, johnlubba wrote:

Not really, God can exist and many religions would not be true,

But if God does not exist, then no religion is true.

Very sensible, John. Since you've only got one response from a theist, maybe we can hear your take on the question?

Firstly, I would ask what kind of evidence or proof could one have that everyone on the planet would agree?

With a philosophical, black box, thought experiment, that is not an issue, and does not stay within the framework of the OP.
It just does not matter.
bulproof
Posts: 28,878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 11:35:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/1/2015 1:34:14 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 5/1/2015 1:30:07 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/1/2015 11:10:15 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Bump

Tiddley Ump-ump, Bump Bump

What's your answer, CornishBiker?

It's far to frightening for the madman
No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means.
George Bernard Shaw