Atheists

johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 3:26:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Atheists

If you somehow found a way to prove the existence of God, beyond any doubt. Do you think it would be better to announce it or keep it secret.

Responses should be relevant to the Op
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 3:34:59 AM
At 4/29/2015 3:26:01 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Atheists

If you somehow found a way to prove the existence of God, beyond any doubt. Do you think it would be better to announce it or keep it secret.

If it was possible to prove the existence of the deity beyond ALL doubt then it would be right to show that to be true. Humanity would then need to find an ingenious way of eliminating it, if it is as portrayed in the Bible, as it is so evil.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:21:00 AM
At 4/29/2015 3:34:59 AM, JJ50 wrote:
Atheists

If it was possible to prove the existence of the deity beyond ALL doubt....

Just stop for a minute and think of how astoundingly stupid this comment is.........

Can the troll successor to bully tell us of ANYTHING on earth which has been proven beyond ALL doubt? What does he mean by "beyond ALL doubt?" anyway? Why, what atheists always mean when they say that. They mean not single person should doubt. Only idiots or liars demand such a moronic standard.

...then it would be right to show that to be true. Humanity would then need to find an ingenious way of eliminating it, if it is as portrayed in the Bible, as it is so evil.

troll standard upheld. Carry on.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:32:12 AM
At 4/29/2015 4:21:00 AM, ethang5 wrote:
Atheists

Just stop for a minute and think of how astoundingly stupid this comment is.........

Can the troll successor to bully tell us of ANYTHING on earth which has been proven beyond ALL doubt? What does he mean by "beyond ALL doubt?" anyway? Why, what atheists always mean when they say that. They mean not single person should doubt. Only idiots or liars demand such a moronic standard.

...then it would be right to show that to be true. Humanity would then need to find an ingenious way of eliminating it, if it is as portrayed in the Bible, as it is so evil.

He was responding to a hypothetical question.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:51:31 AM
Atheists

Being the first to discover God, as in creator of the universe (not the Biblical god)? I would be famous forever. Of course I would reveal it to the world. If only to have others verify that I hadn't made some horrendous blunder in my reasoning. I still wouldn't worship such a being though.

Note that I drew a distinction with the Biblical God and Allah, ie. world religion gods. If I found incontrovertible evidence that such a being existed then I would have no choice but to be a believer. However, as Jj50 said, I consider such beings (eg. the OT god) to be evil. I still would not worship even at the cost of my immortality. Maybe. As to keeping it a secret, I think I might since I consider religion is detrimental to humanity on balance. It could depend on which god it is.

Something to consider is that if my proof is rock-solid then everyone would necessarily become a believer once my proof was presented. In that scenario, with one universal world religion, then I might reconsider. I don't hold out much hope for that though given that there are over 30,000 Christian sects. If it was the Christian god, they would still find something to fight about. Ditto for Islam, if a little less so.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:06:51 AM
At 4/29/2015 4:51:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
Atheists

Being the first to discover God, as in creator of the universe (not the Biblical god)? I would be famous forever. Of course I would reveal it to the world.

Isn't this more gratification of your ego, Shouldn't you be more concerned with atually having discovered God's existence.

If only to have others verify that I hadn't made some horrendous blunder in my reasoning. I still wouldn't worship such a being though.

Note that I drew a distinction with the Biblical God and Allah, ie. world religion gods. If I found incontrovertible evidence that such a being existed then I would have no choice but to be a believer. However, as Jj50 said, I consider such beings (eg. the OT god) to be evil. I still would not worship even at the cost of my immortality.

Maybe. As to keeping it a secret, I think I might since I consider religion is detrimental to humanity on balance. It could depend on which god it is.

So even if God does exist, you still think it would be wrong for people to know, because of it causing religion. Ok, explain more about it depends on which God? what do you mean by that?

Something to consider is that if my proof is rock-solid then everyone would necessarily become a believer once my proof was presented. In that scenario, with one universal world religion, then I might reconsider. I don't hold out much hope for that though given that there are over 30,000 Christian sects. If it was the Christian god, they would still find something to fight about. Ditto for Islam, if a little less so.

Right, Interesting response, If you could ensure one world religion then that's Ok, but you are not ok with many varieties of religion, is that correct?

And whats your final answer, Do you think it's better to reveal God or not?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:14:43 AM
Atheists

Its about as stupid as not being able to prove said deity in any capacity, interpreting the desires of said deity oh behalf of said deity, all the while excusing and extolling said deity, while engaged in a "personal relationship" with said deity.

6 of one, half dozen of the other were we to quantify "stupid" and give it a number.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:35:12 AM
Atheists

Well I don't see anything wrong in my comment! Those who see the Bible deity as good are wearing rose coloured spectacles!
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:35:33 AM
At 4/29/2015 4:32:12 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Atheists

I know, and he responded stupidly and dishonestly. Hypotheticals should still have internal logical consistency.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:35:47 AM
Atheists

I am a woman, actually!
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:37:57 AM
At 4/29/2015 5:06:51 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Atheists

Being the first to discover God, as in creator of the universe (not the Biblical god)? I would be famous forever. Of course I would reveal it to the world.

Isn't this more gratification of your ego, Shouldn't you be more concerned with atually having discovered God's existence.

That's exactly what I am saying. It would be such a monumental discovery that I would be instantly world famous.

If only to have others verify that I hadn't made some horrendous blunder in my reasoning. I still wouldn't worship such a being though.

Note that I drew a distinction with the Biblical God and Allah, ie. world religion gods. If I found incontrovertible evidence that such a being existed then I would have no choice but to be a believer. However, as Jj50 said, I consider such beings (eg. the OT god) to be evil. I still would not worship even at the cost of my immortality. Maybe. As to keeping it a secret, I think I might since I consider religion is detrimental to humanity on balance. It could depend on which god it is.

So even if God does exist, you still think it would be wrong for people to know, because of it causing religion. Ok, explain more about it depends on which God? what do you mean by that?

I didn't say it would be wrong to know. I said humanity might be better off not knowing and therefore limiting the level of religiosity (which is on the decline in the developed world). As to which god, some are more benevolent than others. If it was a reasonably benevolent god, it could sway my decision.

Right, Interesting response, If you could ensure one world religion then that's Ok, but you are not ok with many varieties of religion, is that correct?

Competing religions have been a source of deep conflict in human societies for millenia. You couldn't argue with that surely?

My answer is nuanced. There are too many variables.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:43:18 AM
At 4/29/2015 5:37:57 AM, dee-em wrote:
Atheists

That's exactly what I am saying. It would be such a monumental discovery that I would be instantly world famous.

I didn't say it would be wrong to know. I said humanity might be better off not knowing and therefore limiting the level of religiosity (which is on the decline in the developed world).

As to which god, some are more benevolent than others. If it was a reasonably benevolent god, it could sway my decision.

How could God convince you he was benevolent? Is that possible?

Competing religions have been a source of deep conflict in human societies for millenia. You couldn't argue with that surely?

My answer is nuanced. There are too many variables.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:45:04 AM
At 4/29/2015 5:35:47 AM, JJ50 wrote:
Atheists

I am a woman, actually!

Oops, Ok :)
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:50:19 AM
At 4/29/2015 5:14:43 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/29/2015 3:34:59 AM, jj50 wrote:
Atheists

Its about as stupid as not being able to prove said deity in any capacity, interpreting the desires of said deity oh behalf of said deity, all the while excusing and extolling said deity, while engaged in a "personal relationship" with said deity.

6 of one, half dozen of the other were we to quantify "stupid" and give it a number.

Thank you. You agree that it is astoundingly stupid. I really don't care what else you think it is as stupid as. Hopefully jj50 will retire this bit of brilliant stupidity. If she can ever figure out why it's so stupid that is.

And by "...not being able to prove said deity..." do you also mean, "beyond all doubt"? Because there are currently more than a billion people who view the evidence as sufficient.

Or perhaps you're that breed of atheist who, when he says, "...not being able to prove said deity..." means, "...not being able to prove said deity to me..."

If so, same level of stupidity, just more hubris. Fits?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:51:09 AM
I see the Christian troll has blundered in and taken issue with a woman for merely echoing the words of the OP. How typical. And how foolish he looks now.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:54:02 AM
Atheists

What about if it wasn't your god?
What would you want?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:56:08 AM
At 4/29/2015 5:43:18 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/29/2015 5:37:57 AM, dee-em wrote:
Atheists

I didn't say it would be wrong to know. I said humanity might be better off not knowing and therefore limiting the level of religiosity (which is on the decline in the developed world).

As to which god, some are more benevolent than others. If it was a reasonably benevolent god, it could sway my decision.

How could God convince you he was benevolent? Is that possible?

I thought we were talking about proving the existence of a known god, one whose attributes were understood at least to some extent?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:56:19 AM
At 4/29/2015 5:35:12 AM, JJ50 wrote:
Atheists

Well I don't see anything wrong in my comment! Those who see the Bible deity as good are wearing rose coloured spectacles!

......If she can ever figure out why it's so stupid that is.

She couldn't.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 6:24:01 AM
At 4/29/2015 5:54:02 AM, bulproof wrote:
Atheists

What about if it wasn't your god?
What would you want?

I asked first. But to answer your question, I don't think it wouldn't be my God, Because if you could somehow prove God existed, Then that would mean God existed.
It wouldn't depend on my acknowledgement of if it was my God or not, it would still be God.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 6:32:26 AM
At 4/29/2015 5:56:19 AM, ethang5 wrote:
Atheists

She couldn't.

Pot and kettle dear, have you ever stopped to read your own posts, they are pretty crazy!
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 6:40:27 AM
At 4/29/2015 6:32:26 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 4/29/2015 5:56:19 AM, ethang5 wrote:
Atheists

She couldn't.

Pot and kettle dear, have you ever stopped to read your own posts, they are pretty crazy!

Coming from you, that is comforting.
Preceptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 6:47:52 AM

If it was possible to prove the existence of the deity beyond ALL doubt then it would be right to show that to be true. Humanity would then need to find an ingenious way of eliminating it, if it is as portrayed in the Bible, as it is so evil.

Evil? Show us what is evil about Him and define evil.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 7:08:19 AM
Atheists

It would be better to announce it, of course, as it would be history's most important discovery. And depending on which God is that, it would be wise to convert to that religion if the "holyness" of the scripture in question is also proved real. However, I would still encourage people to be critical about it. If there's something on that scripture that doesn't benefit humanity, then I would still fight against the mentioned belief. We owe to ourselves, not to God.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 7:12:16 AM
At 4/29/2015 6:47:52 AM, Preceptor wrote:

Oh please, stop the dishonesty. You know why she's calling it evil and you know why He is evil. You guys need to read the Bible more slowly, not in five minutes as you all do just to tell your Christian friends that you have read it so you can "fit in" on the cheerleader group.
Preceptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 7:17:22 AM
At 4/29/2015 7:12:16 AM, Otokage wrote:

Oh please, stop the dishonesty. You know why she's calling it evil and you know why He is evil. You guys need to read the Bible more slowly, not in five minutes as you all do just to tell your Christian friends that you have read it so you can "fit in" on the cheerleader group.

Your comment is evidence for what? It is asinine. One would think if those statements are true that it would be easy to prove it instead of pointless assertions. See this works by actually proving what is claimed and not just jumping to it being factual with no proof of it being so.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 7:33:38 AM
Atheists

Probably keep it a secret for a few reasons:

1.) For a decent percentage of the population it wouldn't matter anyway. If you could prove Vishnu exists most Christians would ignore the evidence, most Muslims would ignore the evidence, etc. Just look at the people who ignore established science.

2.) Depending on which God you proved true, imagine the wars, discrimination and other atrocities it might cause. If you proved Allah true it would just further increase the ambitions of groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda. If you proved the Christian God true it would increase anti-other religion violence in certain areas, would embolden the Catholic Church to renew the efforts against the use of condoms in AIDS torn Africa, would increase bigotry in the United States... heck it might even make the efforts of some to turn the US into a pseudo-theocracy successful.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 7:47:36 AM
Atheists

Without God revealing himself to the world, I can't see of any way to prove His existence.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 8:17:55 AM
At 4/29/2015 7:17:22 AM, Preceptor wrote:
At 4/29/2015 7:12:16 AM, Otokage wrote:

Your comment is evidence for what? It is asinine. One would think if those statements are true that it would be easy to prove it instead of pointless assertions. See this works by actually proving what is claimed and not just jumping to it being factual with no proof of it being so.

lol. Preceptor, if they used logic and facts they wouldn't get to the silly conclusion they desire. So they have to jump right to the conclusion they personally like and pretend its fact.

Their evidence is so obvious they don't need to point it out. Just take it on faith.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 9:12:54 AM
Atheists

Ok, first which God? Are you speaking of the hateful, spiteful god of the Old Testament who killed the entire population of the world because they weren't behaving as they should? Are you referring to the loving God of the New Testament who's purported son preached loving thy neighbor as thyself and judge not for you yourself will be judged by that selfsame measure? See, the term God is defined so many ways that until you express the question clearly I cannot give you a valid answer but a range of possibilities.

If by God you mean Yahweh who directed his chosen people to invade a country and kill everything to include men, women, children, ox, sheep, etc. and then ordered all of the spoils to be given to the temple, then no. I would never contribute to the worship of such a horrific creature. If you mean the God that Jesus portrayed, healing the sick, feeding the hungry, forgiving the sinners then yes, with all possible speed. It might actually fix all that's wrong with the Christian faith. If you mean Allah, then no again for the same reasons as Yahweh. We could go further but you should be getting the gist by now.

So, which God are you assuming for this question?