Jump to topic:

Question about Galatians 2:9

Angelos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 6:13:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was asked a question during class, "Who received the right hand of fellowship because their work of an apostle?" It was based off on Galatians 2:9.

That question tricked me a bit. It's asking for one person only. And it is an apostle. Some answered Paul while others answered Barnabas.

My question is: who was the apostle that received the right hand of fellowship? Or were they both already apostles at that time?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 7:50:37 PM
At 4/29/2015 6:13:12 PM, Angelos wrote:
I was asked a question during class, "Who received the right hand of fellowship because their work of an apostle?" It was based off on Galatians 2:9.

That question tricked me a bit. It's asking for one person only. And it is an apostle. Some answered Paul while others answered Barnabas.

My question is: who was the apostle that received the right hand of fellowship? Or were they both already apostles at that time?

Technically, one could argue for either. That said, the text indicates that they recognized the grace given to the "me" of text, who was Paul since it was his epistle donchaknow:

"And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship;"

(KJV, but all the translations I know of have similar bits--the three recognized the grace given to Paul, and thus extended their hands.)

Thus, it was Paul's grace, as a result of his work, that got them both that hand according to the verse. There's no textual mention of them recognizing anything about Barnabas, so while they extended a hand to him as well, the text doesn't support that they did it because of his work as an apostle, which means it doesn't support the full question, which asks who got the hand because [of] their work as an apostle. Given, too, that Paul gets rather more attention than Barnabas, that also makes me think the questioner was looking for Paul.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 7:59:40 AM

I don't see your difficulty:

Galatians 2:9
ASV(i) 9 and when they perceived the grace that was given unto me, James and Cephas and John, they who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship, that we should go unto the Gentiles, and they unto the circumcision;

The scripture clearly and directly states that both Paul and Barnabas were given the right hand of fellowship.

If you stop and think about it, that is the only possible answer since both are going on the same task.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 1:53:19 PM

"and when they perceived the grace that was given unto me, James and Cephas and John, they who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship"

For one thing, grammatically it makes no difference whether the recipient(s) of the right hand of fellowship were apostles or not.

If the question is "asking for one person only", then the question itself is in error: the passage says that Peter and John gave to me (Paul) and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship.

Who gave the right hands? Peter and John
To whom? Paul and Barnabas

There is no either-or.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 3:12:36 PM
At 5/1/2015 1:53:19 PM, annanicole wrote:

"and when they perceived the grace that was given unto me, James and Cephas and John, they who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship"

For one thing, grammatically it makes no difference whether the recipient(s) of the right hand of fellowship were apostles or not.

If the question is "asking for one person only", then the question itself is in error: the passage says that Peter and John gave to me (Paul) and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship.

Who gave the right hands? Peter and John

You missed James out, lol.

To whom? Paul and Barnabas

There is no either-or.