Jump to topic:

America Against Sufism? Why?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:11:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The mosque being built by Ground Zero is a Sufi mosque, yet all the conservative Americans are up in arms about it? Sufism is a very different brand of Islam just as Gnosticism is to Christianity. I doubt the nay-sayers even heard of the word "Sufi" let alone know it's tenets. There were no Sufis involved in the attacks of the Twin Towers, and probably no Sufi involved in violence period (if there were, I'd be surprised).
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:17:27 AM
It's mostly insensitive. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with building a mosque there, but it is certainly douchebaggish. It's like building a neo-Nazi clan building next to Auschwitz. Just not cool.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:22:31 AM
At 8/5/2010 12:17:27 AM, Nags wrote:
It's mostly insensitive. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with building a mosque there, but it is certainly douchebaggish. It's like building a neo-Nazi clan building next to Auschwitz. Just not cool.

No it's not. The Nazi ideology actually did fuel the holocaust where as Islam ideology did not bring down the towers. There is no passage that says "strap a bomb on and fly into a building."

Plus, my point in this thread is that Sufism is so radically different than orthodox Islam, that it really can't even be considered the same ideology and thus, there should be absolutely no complaints about it.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:25:17 AM

That's terrible, but it made me lol. xD

As for actually building the mosque, I feel there is potential for it to increase interfaith relations due to its location. Because of the 9/11 attacks I think more people may potentially get curious to educate themselves about Islam if they see a mosque there. Of course the opposite can happen too. I have a feeling there could be vandalism and other silly things happening purposely to degrade the muslims of this particular mosque.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:25:28 AM
At 8/5/2010 12:22:31 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

No it's not. The Nazi ideology actually did fuel the holocaust where as Islam ideology did not bring down the towers. There is no passage that says "strap a bomb on and fly into a building."

Plus, my point in this thread is that Sufism is so radically different than orthodox Islam, that it really can't even be considered the same ideology and thus, there should be absolutely no complaints about it.

nags said neo-nazis.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:25:40 AM

agreed again.
signature
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:30:32 AM

No it's not. The Nazi ideology actually did fuel the holocaust where as Islam ideology did not bring down the towers.

Look up why 'war with the West' is used so often as rhetoric to fuel the propoganda as what lead to 911.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:45:28 AM
At 8/5/2010 12:25:28 AM, badger wrote:

nags said neo-nazis.

Badger is correct. I said neo-Nazi, not Nazi. Which renders your [Geo] point... pointless. Neo-Nazis had nothing to do with the holocaust.

Now, even if I did say Nazi, my point would still stand. Nazism did have to do with the holocaust, undoubtedly. Similarly, Islam did have somewhat to do with 9/11. I am certainly of the camp that says that American aggression abroad was the reason that the US was attacked, and not Islam. But to deny that Islam had anything to do with 9/11 is a bit far-fetched. Unless of course you say that the government set up 9/11, which is a whole other argument not worth delving into in this thread.

Sufism is a dimension of Islam, thus Sufism does have something to do with Islam. Close enough. Same with Neo-Nazi and Nazi.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:49:03 AM
At 8/5/2010 12:30:32 AM, Puck wrote:

No it's not. The Nazi ideology actually did fuel the holocaust where as Islam ideology did not bring down the towers.

Look up why 'war with the West' is used so often as rhetoric to fuel the propoganda as what lead to 911.

Isn't it war "against" the West, not "with"?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:57:10 AM
At 8/5/2010 12:45:28 AM, Nags wrote:
nags said neo-nazis.

Badger is correct. I said neo-Nazi, not Nazi. Which renders your [Geo] point... pointless. Neo-Nazis had nothing to do with the holocaust.

Actually, you're wrong. Neo-Nazism is the same ideology as Nazism which IS the ideology that resulted in the holocaust.

"Neo-Nazism consists of post-World War II social or political movements seeking to revive Nazism or some variant thereof." -- http://en.wikipedia.org...

Now, even if I did say Nazi, my point would still stand. Nazism did have to do with the holocaust, undoubtedly. Similarly, Islam did have somewhat to do with 9/11. I am certainly of the camp that says that American aggression abroad was the reason that the US was attacked, and not Islam. But to deny that Islam had anything to do with 9/11 is a bit far-fetched.

Wrong again. Nazism directly lead to the holocaust. It takes more of a stretch to begin to connect Islam with 911. The people that brought down the towers happen to have been Muslims, probably even in the name of God. But if two Christians did it, and did so in the name of God, would people be making the same connection to Christianity with 911? Doubtful.

In order for your claim to be validated, Islam would have to have a core doctrine against America like Nazism did against Jews.

Sufism is a dimension of Islam, thus Sufism does have something to do with Islam. Close enough. Same with Neo-Nazi and Nazi.

There is no doctrinal difference between Neo-Nazi and Nazi.

There IS a doctrinal difference between Sufism and Islam.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:00:35 AM
At 8/5/2010 12:57:10 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/5/2010 12:45:28 AM, Nags wrote:
nags said neo-nazis.

Actually, you're wrong. Neo-Nazism is the same ideology as Nazism which IS the ideology that resulted in the holocaust.

"Neo-Nazism consists of post-World War II social or political movements seeking to revive Nazism or some variant thereof." -- http://en.wikipedia.org...

Now, even if I did say Nazi, my point would still stand. Nazism did have to do with the holocaust, undoubtedly. Similarly, Islam did have somewhat to do with 9/11. I am certainly of the camp that says that American aggression abroad was the reason that the US was attacked, and not Islam. But to deny that Islam had anything to do with 9/11 is a bit far-fetched.

Wrong again. Nazism directly lead to the holocaust. It takes more of a stretch to begin to connect Islam with 911. The people that brought down the towers happen to have been Muslims, probably even in the name of God. But if two Christians did it, and did so in the name of God, would people be making the same connection to Christianity with 911? Doubtful.

In order for your claim to be validated, Islam would have to have a core doctrine against America like Nazism did against Jews.

"some variant thereof"...
signature
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:03:26 AM
You do realize that most Americans don't care about the distinction, right?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:05:53 AM
At 8/5/2010 1:03:26 AM, Korashk wrote:

That's kinda the point. They don't care whether the muslims are sunni, shi'a, sufi, whatever. They're still just all "terrorists" and of course it pisses me off.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:07:16 AM
At 8/5/2010 1:05:53 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

That's kinda the point. They don't care whether the muslims are sunni, shi'a, sufi, whatever. They're still just all "terrorists" and of course it pisses me off.

Why do you hate America so much?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:07:53 AM

I don't recall denying that Neo-Nazism and Nazism are similar. They certainly are. However, they are not the same, or 100% equal to each other. Hitler was a Nazi, not a Neo-Nazi.

If two Christians killed 3,000 people in the name of God, I'm pretty sure people would make the connection to Christianity. Rhetorical question if you ask me.

No. My claim isn't that a mosque shouldn't be built in Ground Zero because Islam is against America. My claim is that a mosque shouldn't be built in Ground Zero because Islam was a partial cause of 9/11.

Eh. There is somewhat. While the differences may be minute, differences do exist. Just like between neo-conservative and conservative. Neo-Nazis, for example, don't go around exterminating Jews and non-Aryans.

Doesn't matter much whether there is a difference or not anyway. They are strongly related, that's all that matters.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:11:38 AM
At 8/5/2010 1:07:16 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

I don't hate America. I hate the policies of the American government. There's a difference. See, this proves my point. Even I get accused and targeted simply because I'm critical of american foreign policy.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:13:11 AM
At 8/5/2010 1:07:53 AM, Nags wrote:

Eh. There is somewhat. While the differences may be minute, differences do exist. Just like between neo-conservative and conservative. Neo-Nazis, for example, don't go around exterminating Jews and non-Aryans.

Erm...they would go around exterminating people if they could.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:25:09 AM
At 8/5/2010 1:11:38 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I don't hate America. I hate the policies of the American government. There's a difference. See, this proves my point. Even I get accused and targeted simply because I'm critical of american foreign policy.

What does foreign policy have to do with sandeaters targeting innoccent Americans and then building their little shrine on the spot to mock the victims and their families?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:27:23 AM
At 8/5/2010 12:49:03 AM, Nags wrote:
At 8/5/2010 12:30:32 AM, Puck wrote:

Isn't it war "against" the West, not "with"?

Condensed from at war with the west.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:27:45 AM
At 8/5/2010 1:25:09 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 8/5/2010 1:11:38 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

What does foreign policy have to do with sandeaters targeting innoccent Americans and then building their little shrine on the spot to mock the victims and their families?

It's not about mocking the victims. As Geo said, it's a Sufi mosque. Sufis had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11.
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:32:24 AM
Even though it is a jurisprudence of islam that claims to follow the mystic path it is still monumentally offensive to even apply to build a mosque near to that most dreadful examples of Islamic terrorism.

What is worth note is that the mainstream Islamic schools deny that Sufism actually constitutes Islam.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:33:25 AM
At 8/5/2010 1:32:24 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:

What is worth note is that the mainstream Islamic schools deny that Sufism actually constitutes Islam.

That's true actually, but meh. It's still considered Islam.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:57:10 AM
At 8/5/2010 1:07:53 AM, Nags wrote:

I don't recall denying that Neo-Nazism and Nazism are similar. They certainly are. However, they are not the same, or 100% equal to each other. Hitler was a Nazi, not a Neo-Nazi.

They are the same, they just exist in different time periods.

This is a failure to understand the difference between doctrine and practice. Neo-Nazis and Nazis have the same doctrines, it's just that the Neo-Nazis don't put it to practice.

Doesn't matter much whether there is a difference or not anyway. They are strongly related, that's all that matters.

They are not equivalent. Even Christianity is strongly related to Islam.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 1:58:01 AM
At 8/5/2010 1:32:24 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:

Thank you. That is the point that people don't get.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:27:25 AM
At 8/5/2010 1:57:10 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Even Christianity is strongly related to Islam.

Absolutely.

Islam is an heretical blasphemy of Christianity.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:28:35 AM
At 8/5/2010 2:27:25 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:

Absolutely.

Lol.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:29:19 AM

Absolutely.

Well, from a Christian standpoint. From an Islamic and a historical viewpoint, Christianity and Islam are strongly related.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:39:59 AM
At 8/5/2010 2:28:35 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Absolutely.

Lol.
Laugh by all means, but from a Christian perspective Islam is both heretical and blasphemous.

From an Atheist perspective it's just plain wrong from soup to nuts.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:42:36 AM
At 8/5/2010 2:39:59 AM, Zeitgeist wrote:
At 8/5/2010 2:28:35 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Absolutely.

Lol.
Laugh by all means, but from a Christian perspective Islam is both heretical and blasphemous.

From an Atheist perspective it's just plain wrong from soup to nuts.

That isn't true. I have talked to many christians who don't believe Islam to be heretical and blasphemous, just incorrect and that Muhammad was a false prophet.