Jump to topic:

Moral Examples and Universalizability

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 12:04:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm curious, what do people think the world would be like if the moral examples set by their religion's greatest idols were followed by all (or even most)? For example Jesus Christ, Moses, Muhammad, Gautama Buddha.

Please do not simply insult those of the other religions (unless your own religion is based on trolling?)... Atheists for example, could pick their favorite historical figure.

Since I started this thread; were the moral example of my favorite historical figure followed...
Vlad the Impaler: The world wouldn't be in good shape, the Turks would have been wiped out long ago, a brutal public execution would be given for so much as napping while at work, thievery would not exist; on the up side, things like AIDs would have been wiped out long ago by fire. And yes Vlad the Impaler utterly rocked for the needs of his country at the time, but I am glad the world doesn't strive to be like him.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 12:09:00 PM
At 5/4/2015 12:04:47 PM, Ragnar wrote:
I'm curious, what do people think the world would be like if the moral examples set by their religion's greatest idols were followed by all (or even most)? For example Jesus Christ, Moses, Muhammad, Gautama Buddha.

Please do not simply insult those of the other religions (unless your own religion is based on trolling?)... Atheists for example, could pick their favorite historical figure.

Since I started this thread; were the moral example of my favorite historical figure followed...
Vlad the Impaler: The world wouldn't be in good shape, the Turks would have been wiped out long ago, a brutal public execution would be given for so much as napping while at work, thievery would not exist; on the up side, things like AIDs would have been wiped out long ago by fire. And yes Vlad the Impaler utterly rocked for the needs of his country at the time, but I am glad the world doesn't strive to be like him.

If everyone behaved like the biblical Jesus then no one would be hungry, no one would be needy, everyone would be sure to treat everyone as they would like to be treated. I've always thought that the example that Jesus set in the bible was a beautiful one but one that most of his so-called followers would not follow. To paraphrase Ghandi, I quite like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike him.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 9:50:17 PM
Only humanitarian examples are qualified to lead humanity. Jesus, Buddha, these are humanitarians. Moses, Paul, Muhammad, these guys killed people and are disqualified as moral leaders. No man who has killed other men can be a spiritual leader of humanity. They are tainted with bad karma and it comes out in their intolerant teachings.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 10:23:33 PM

George Washington.

A world of George Washingtons would be.. like DAMN nice.

People excited and passionate about their endeavors. But humble and reserved in their execution. Respectful but not afraid to speak boldly.

Detached but not dismissive.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 10:04:12 AM
At 5/4/2015 12:09:00 PM, dhardage wrote:

If everyone behaved like the biblical Jesus then no one would be hungry, no one would be needy, everyone would be sure to treat everyone as they would like to be treated. I've always thought that the example that Jesus set in the bible was a beautiful one but one that most of his so-called followers would not follow. To paraphrase Ghandi, I quite like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike him.

I agree the example of Jesus Christ is a beautiful one. Sadly, we'd only have a single generation under it.

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 10:05:03 AM
At 5/5/2015 10:04:12 AM, Ragnar wrote:

I agree the example of Jesus Christ is a beautiful one. Sadly, we'd only have a single generation under it.

Why do you think that?
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 10:06:29 AM
At 5/5/2015 10:05:03 AM, dhardage wrote:

Why do you think that?

Jesus didn't marry or have kids.

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 10:10:37 AM
At 5/5/2015 10:06:29 AM, Ragnar wrote:

Why do you think that?

Or so some say. Others say Mary Magdalene was his wife and he did have children so that's a point of contention.

When I refer to the example he set, I was referring to the moral standards and rules for living he gave his followers. He said love thy neighbor as thyself. Judge not for you yourself will be judged by that selfsame measure. If thine enemy strike thee, turn the other cheek. He reviled hypocrites, telling them to remove the plank in their own eye before telling the neighbor about the mote in theirs. He fed the hungry, ministered to the sick, and showed tolerance toward all. These are the examples that I refer to.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 10:27:28 AM
At 5/5/2015 10:10:37 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/5/2015 10:06:29 AM, Ragnar wrote:

Why do you think that?

Or so some say. Others say Mary Magdalene was his wife and he did have children so that's a point of contention.

My bad, I thought you were talking about the Jesus Christ of most Christian denominations; not someone else (yes to you they are one in the same, much like to Muslims their psychopathic Jesus is also one in the same).

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 10:29:16 AM

Interesting topic. I'll go out on a limb and pick Ayn Rand.

If everyone were like her we would have a world that encourages hard work. Our heroes would be achievers. Laziness would bring no benefit. Superstition and anything which was "unsupported by or contrary to the facts of reality and the conclusions of reason" would not affect our lives in any meaningful way.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 12:20:27 PM
At 5/5/2015 10:29:16 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

If everyone were like her we would have a world that encourages hard work. Our heroes would be achievers. Laziness would bring no benefit. Superstition and anything which was "unsupported by or contrary to the facts of reality and the conclusions of reason" would not affect our lives in any meaningful way.

Unfortunately it would be a world bereft of compassion, IMO. Her philosophy seems to have no room for the aged or infirm, no desire to care for those who cannot care for themselves. I would not want to live in a world like that.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 12:42:41 PM

I am sorry dhardage for how us Christians act and what they have done to you or others. I feel saddened by your post today for I know this is your real experience. For I to am guilty of 'this'. Forgive me and.... I am trying.......I am trying........I am trying......to just love others and just love and stand in this :(

Do you forgive me?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 12:58:16 PM
At 5/5/2015 12:42:41 PM, seeu46 wrote:

I am sorry dhardage for how us Christians act and what they have done to you or others. I feel saddened by your post today for I know this is your real experience. For I to am guilty of 'this'. Forgive me and.... I am trying.......I am trying........I am trying......to just love others and just love and stand in this :(

Do you forgive me?

I can't tell if you're serious or facetious, but me forgiving anyone for acts not directed at me would be foolish. Holding any single Christian responsible for the acts of large, so-called Christian organizations would also be foolish. What I am doing is pointing out that the stories of Christ in the Bible had some wonderful moral lessons that most people, not even his so-called followers, come close to emulating and that the world would be a better place if people did more to living by those principles.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 12:59:50 PM
At 5/5/2015 12:58:16 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/5/2015 12:42:41 PM, seeu46 wrote:

Do you forgive me?

I can't tell if you're serious or facetious, but me forgiving anyone for acts not directed at me would be foolish. Holding any single Christian responsible for the acts of large, so-called Christian organizations would also be foolish. What I am doing is pointing out that the stories of Christ in the Bible had some wonderful moral lessons that most people, not even his so-called followers, come close to emulating and that the world would be a better place if people did more to living by those principles.

I'm being serious. Very serious.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 1:10:44 PM
At 5/5/2015 12:20:27 PM, dhardage wrote:

Unfortunately it would be a world bereft of compassion, IMO. Her philosophy seems to have no room for the aged or infirm, no desire to care for those who cannot care for themselves. I would not want to live in a world like that.

Planning ahead with pension, insurance, wills, savings, etc., is not unreasonable and is reflective of hard work done earlier in life. We might have family and/or friends who are willing to help take care of us because it brings them happiness, and that would be acceptable. However, society has no "obligation" to care for those who are unable to care for themselves. "Obligation" suggests we owe something to those individuals when it is actually those individuals who failed to meet obligations to themselves. However, it is not forbidden to help those in need, it is just cannot be demanded.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 1:33:06 PM
At 5/5/2015 1:10:44 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/5/2015 12:20:27 PM, dhardage wrote:

Planning ahead with pension, insurance, wills, savings, etc., is not unreasonable and is reflective of hard work done earlier in life. We might have family and/or friends who are willing to help take care of us because it brings them happiness, and that would be acceptable. However, society has no "obligation" to care for those who are unable to care for themselves. "Obligation" suggests we owe something to those individuals when it is actually those individuals who failed to meet obligations to themselves. However, it is not forbidden to help those in need, it is just cannot be demanded.

Still feels harsh and uncaring. That's not a way I'd want to live, seeing the world as merely producers or parasites and that's kind of what I get from Rand.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 5:43:10 PM

I just realized you chose pretty much the opposite of my example. I used to think Jesus' philosophy was a good way to approach the world, but have since changed my view. Jesus said things like,"Turn the other cheek", and "Judge not lest you be judged". Unfortunately, 'turn the other cheek' only benefits thugs and bullies, and makes the believer into a doormat if followed to the letter. 'Judge not lest you be judged' is impossible since we must judge people in the natural course of our lives. For instance, we judge those around us when considering job applicants, mates, team mates, spouses, friends, etc. We do not accept people without some consideration for the traits, characteristics, and/or abilities they have, and whether they are in line with our own goals for our lives. I suppose I also have an issue with being merciful/ feeding the hungry as well. I like the thought, but seeing first hand the abuses of such systems has persuaded me this also encourages laziness and dishonesty on behalf of potential recipients.

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 6:21:38 PM

Good choice. Atlas Shrugged shows the dangers of everyone blindly looking out for their own self interest, yet to dismiss self interest can equally result in strong negatives.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 6:23:16 PM

Folks like those may have come up with some ideas for the time, but their ideas are now outdated because like humans, morals and ethics evolve and change over time. Clinging to Bronze age morals will keep you in the Bronze age.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 8:09:05 PM
I'm curious, what do people think the world would be like if the moral examples set by their religion's greatest idols were followed by all (or even most)?

I don't think I accept the premise that humans follow moral leaders around, emulating them. I'm not sure what kind of species would do that, but I don't think it's human.

I think real humans struggle constantly between what's permitted, what's accountable and what's respectable. I think morality and its social synthesis in ethics reflect a continuing conversation on these questions.

I agree that stories about moral leaders (whether true or not) create reference points for the respectable, but they don't necessarily inform our understanding of what's permitted or accountable, and all three inform our actions.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 8:18:31 PM

I have an affinity for the Buddha (me being from the East and all), so I think the world would be a pretty chill place if we followed his moral example. Same thing with Jesus too. I'm not Christian, but Jesus seems like a pretty cool guy.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...