Jump to topic:

Yet Another Example...

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 12:14:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
..of Christian tolerance and love for all. Seems this Christian thinks it's fun to play a game where killing gays is the goal and anyone who disagrees with him is 'oversensitive'. Doesn't that just warm your heart with the love of Christ?

http://www.salon.com...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 12:30:19 PM
At 5/6/2015 12:14:45 PM, dhardage wrote:
..of Christian tolerance and love for all. Seems this Christian thinks it's fun to play a game where killing gays is the goal and anyone who disagrees with him is 'oversensitive'. Doesn't that just warm your heart with the love of Christ?

It is hard to believe anyone would find this game amusing or even conceive of it. So much for tolerance. Will someone please remind me why anti-theism is a bad thing?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 12:54:36 PM
At 5/6/2015 12:30:19 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

It is hard to believe anyone would find this game amusing or even conceive of it. So much for tolerance. Will someone please remind me why anti-theism is a bad thing?

Err, because not all theists want to go gay bashing, if that's what you're implying. I am pretty sure there are anti-theists who are probably naturally homophobic.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:01:18 PM
At 5/6/2015 12:54:36 PM, johnlubba wrote:

Err, because not all theists want to go gay bashing, if that's what you're implying. I am pretty sure there are anti-theists who are probably naturally homophobic.

I've yet to see an anti-theist advocate killing gays or, what was the law proposed in California, the Sodomite Elimination Act? That was another Christian demonstrating how to hate the sin but love the sinner, uh, no, that's not right since he wanted them shot in the head.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:05:01 PM
At 5/6/2015 1:01:18 PM, dhardage wrote:

I've yet to see an anti-theist advocate killing gays or, what was the law proposed in California, the Sodomite Elimination Act? That was another Christian demonstrating how to hate the sin but love the sinner, uh, no, that's not right since he wanted them shot in the head.

Sorry, it is the Sodomite Suppression Act. Just wanted to keep things straight.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:05:08 PM

Yes, that is true, but his views are directly attributable to his religion. I'm not going anti-theist quite yet, but with each example of negative views that come as a result of theism I question whether the benefits of religion outweigh the negatives.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:07:41 PM

If it was kill a gay boss it would be okay.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:13:44 PM
At 5/6/2015 1:05:08 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Yes, that is true, but his views are directly attributable to his religion. I'm not going anti-theist quite yet, but with each example of negative views that come as a result of theism I question whether the benefits of religion outweigh the negatives.

Yeah becuase this christian fid a distasteful thing.

Not like there are any examples of gays ruining someone's real life.

Or an athiest really shooting someone in the head.

Becuase a virtual world in a video game is an outrage! But real life is the theist got what they deserve.

A white man gets assaulted by a black, deserves it becuase of slavery.

Christian gets head cut off by islamist, even the president says they deserve it becuase of the crusades.

Preach tolerance and don't expect or desire it from the gay, liberal, or athiest community.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:22:42 PM

You are equivocating Christianity with Theism, It's a gross error. And furthermore, not all Christians would consent to killing a single gay person.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:22:49 PM
Ahh hate!
The very real message of the bible.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:24:25 PM
At 5/6/2015 1:13:44 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Becuase a virtual world in a video game is an outrage! But real life is the theist got what they deserve.

Christian gets head cut off by islamist, even the president says they deserve it becuase of the crusades.

Preach tolerance and don't expect or desire it from the gay, liberal, or athiest community.

Any chance you can stay on subject and not wander into irrelevant territory?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:38:09 PM
At 5/6/2015 1:13:44 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Do you feel better after that rant? Now perhaps you can explain how your examples can be attributed to being gay, black, or atheist? Obviously, beheadings by extreme adherents of Islam are directly related to their holy book and religion, as is the example in the OP.

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:41:21 PM
At 5/6/2015 1:22:42 PM, johnlubba wrote:

You are equivocating Christianity with Theism, It's a gross error. And furthermore, not all Christians would consent to killing a single gay person.

Christianity is an extremely popular example of theism so it is appropriate to consider it as reflective of theism in general. However, I agree that not all Christians seek to kill gays, but I think we will find that attitude more prevalent due to religion than any other reason.

johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:45:03 PM
At 5/6/2015 1:41:21 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Christianity is an extremely popular example of theism so it is appropriate to consider it as reflective of theism in general.

No it's not, so all theists suddenly become Christians by your reasoning. That's an extremely gross example.

However, I agree that not all Christians seek to kill gays, but I think we will find that attitude more prevalent due to religion than any other reason.

I concede that people can use religion as an excuse to exercise their homophobia, but I don't believe for one second that homophobia is exclusive to religious people. In-fact, I know it isn't.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:57:02 PM
At 5/6/2015 1:45:03 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 5/6/2015 1:41:21 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Christianity is an extremely popular example of theism so it is appropriate to consider it as reflective of theism in general.

No it's not, so all theists suddenly become Christians by your reasoning. That's an extremely gross example.

That is not what I said. However, since a majority of 'theism' is the Abrahamic religions and they all look at homosexuality the same, I see that my generalization on this matter makes little difference.

However, I agree that not all Christians seek to kill gays, but I think we will find that attitude more prevalent due to religion than any other reason.

I concede that people can use religion as an excuse to exercise their homophobia, but I don't believe for one second that homophobia is exclusive to religious people. In-fact, I know it isn't.

Again, that is not what I said. I said dislike/prejudice of gays was more prevalent due to religion.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:57:06 PM

It's a good thing. This will only serve to help show the world that Christianity causes conflict and hatred and that societies can do without it.

I say keep it up, Christians, you do more damage to your own religions reputation than anyone else. :)
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 1:59:24 PM
At 5/6/2015 1:57:06 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

It's a good thing. This will only serve to help show the world that Christianity causes conflict and hatred and that societies can do without it.

I say keep it up, Christians, you do more damage to your own religions reputation than anyone else. :)

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 2:19:59 PM

I don't think that's representative of the Christian median, DH. It'd be closer to the Muslim median in developing countries, but I think over all, more Christians would be concerned about a shooting game that kills people than delighted by the anti-gay hate-speech.

And there are teens of many religious persuasion (including atheistic teens) who'd think it funny just because it's confrontational and dehumanises a group they don't really know or understand. So I think the hate is really a function of ignorance rather than faith.

Notwithstanding that, there are plenty of examples of Christian intolerance, paternalism and hegemonism that are more representative in developed countries. I just don't think this game should inform the conversation about trying to get Christians better socialised in a pluralistic democracy.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 3:13:45 PM

The Islamists killing Christians are anti-gays as well. So gays aren't the only problem Christians are facing.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 3:33:31 PM

Morons will be morons.

https://www.lifesitenews.com...
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 3:44:08 PM
At 5/6/2015 3:33:31 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Morons will be morons.

Why is it inappropriate to give zeros when a student answers every secular question with the word GOD? She should go to a bible college instead where GOD is the appropriate answer for every question.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 3:45:27 PM

Morons will be morons.

I would really like to hear the professor's side of this story. It begins to sound like the script from 'God Is Not Dead'.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 3:51:21 PM
At 5/6/2015 2:19:59 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

I don't think that's representative of the Christian median, DH. It'd be closer to the Muslim median in developing countries, but I think over all, more Christians would be concerned about a shooting game that kills people than delighted by the anti-gay hate-speech.

And you may be right but with this glaring example and the absolutely despicable 'Sodomite Suppression Act' proposed in California certainly don't paint a pretty picture of Christianity in general. Add the Westboro Baptist Church, religion inspired bombing of abortion clinics, and other tidbits and it looks even worse. In any event, it's a clear demonstration of how religion in general, in this case Christianity, can encourage dehumanization of other people who don't necessarily fit into the 'good person' mold it makes.

And there are teens of many religious persuasion (including atheistic teens) who'd think it funny just because it's confrontational and dehumanises a group they don't really know or understand. So I think the hate is really a function of ignorance rather than faith.

Probably, but religion for the masses has always been aimed at the ignorant to keep them doing what the priest class wants them to do.

Notwithstanding that, there are plenty of examples of Christian intolerance, paternalism and hegemonism that are more representative in developed countries. I just don't think this game should inform the conversation about trying to get Christians better socialised in a pluralistic democracy.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 3:54:13 PM
At 5/6/2015 3:44:08 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Morons will be morons.

Why is it inappropriate to give zeros when a student answers every secular question with the word GOD? She should go to a bible college instead where GOD is the appropriate answer for every question.

Maybe you should read the attached articles before spouting off about something you don't want to understand.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 4:00:18 PM

No but theism is the very SOURCE of this particular bigotry... If "holy" texts had never condemned this particular attraction (and that's really all it is), how much of our culture would be against it? It's the same source as those who used to believe that being left handed was, somehow, evil. That a person who yawned and did not cover their mouth would allow a demon to "jump down their throat." No, not all theists are proliferators of such bigotry. However, the VAST MAJORITY of those who do promote such bigotry are theistic...
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 4:00:20 PM
At 5/6/2015 3:54:13 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Morons will be morons.

Maybe you should read the attached articles before spouting off about something you don't want to understand.

I read the attached article and looked for more information. All I found was the same article almost verbatim in Christian publications. I could find no non-religious reference to this story. I also checked on the professor and found that he was rated 3.4 out of 4 by his students, many saying he made them think about their beliefs by challenging them and requiring solid arguments for them.

I still want to hear the professor's side of the story. Everything I have so far is biased and cannot be taken at face value.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 4:01:44 PM
At 5/6/2015 1:05:01 PM, dhardage wrote:

Oh, the irony... LOL!
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 4:02:31 PM
At 5/6/2015 4:01:44 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:

Oh, the irony... LOL!

Oh, crud. No pun intended!
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 4:03:40 PM
At 5/6/2015 4:02:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/6/2015 4:01:44 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:

Oh, the irony... LOL!

Oh, crud. No pun intended!

No worries, brother! It just made me chuckle, and I thought I'd share...
-----

-- Robert A Heinlein
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 4:08:06 PM
At 5/6/2015 4:00:20 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/6/2015 3:54:13 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Morons will be morons.

I read the attached article and looked for more information. All I found was the same article almost verbatim in Christian publications. I could find no non-religious reference to this story. I also checked on the professor and found that he was rated 3.4 out of 4 by his students, many saying he made them think about their beliefs by challenging them and requiring solid arguments for them.

I still want to hear the professor's side of the story. Everything I have so far is biased and cannot be taken at face value.

The article had links:

https://www.liberty.edu...