Jump to topic:

Is Satanism Misunderstood?

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 6:17:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am of the belief that Satanism is perhaps the most misunderstood religion of them all.

I dated a Satanist several years ago. (Wow..was she hot. No pun intended.) So I learned a bit about the CoS, founded back in the late 60s by one Anton LaVey.

Anyway..yeah...the media and TV--and Christians--have egregiously mis-portrayed the Church of Satan for many years now. For example..it's not all about worshipping the Devil. Or Satan. They use Him more as a sort of "mascot" to express their dogma of questioning authority. Rebellion. Individualism. Freedom. Hedonism.

Enjoying life to the fullest. And nobody gets hurt. Consenting adults only.

Love and kindness? Sure. But only to those who deserve it.

So..here is one of the CoS's main Statements of Faith. They call it their Nine Satanic Sins. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I am of the opinion that it is a far more useful and applicable tool to live oyur life by than are the "Ten Commandments" from...um...that other religion. LOL

http://altreligion.about.com...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:39:06 AM
At 5/6/2015 6:17:47 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I am of the belief that Satanism is perhaps the most misunderstood religion of them all.

I dated a Satanist several years ago. (Wow..was she hot. No pun intended.) So I learned a bit about the CoS, founded back in the late 60s by one Anton LaVey.

Anyway..yeah...the media and TV--and Christians--have egregiously mis-portrayed the Church of Satan for many years now. For example..it's not all about worshipping the Devil. Or Satan. They use Him more as a sort of "mascot" to express their dogma of questioning authority. Rebellion. Individualism. Freedom. Hedonism.

So..here is one of the CoS's main Statements of Faith. They call it their Nine Satanic Sins. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I am of the opinion that it is a far more useful and applicable tool to live oyur life by than are the "Ten Commandments" from...um...that other religion. LOL

Laveyan Satanism is what was misunderstood. Real Satanists are often the one's doing time in prison for murder, etc.

TV didn't really miss-portray Laveyan Satanism in the sense that they did them any wrong. It acted as a plug for the CoS. LaVey got some exposure in Rosemary's Baby, etc. Celebrities joined the church which built a mystique about it. But....it was short lived. Once people found out it's just over dramatic humanism, it lost it's appeal. In other words, The CoS is a bit like Alice Cooper. Once the shock element faded away, it was time to move onto something else.

Most people naturally want to indulge in self pleasure, get revenge, get self-promoted, being kind to only those kind to you, etc etc. There is nothing impressive about it. A bit like the kid who learns martial arts, and manipulates fights with others who are just as self-preserving, afraid to go to prison, afraid of ending up in the hospital, etc.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:10:14 AM
At 5/7/2015 8:39:06 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

Laveyan Satanism is what was misunderstood. Real Satanists are often the one's doing time in prison for murder, etc.

TV didn't really miss-portray Laveyan Satanism in the sense that they did them any wrong. It acted as a plug for the CoS. LaVey got some exposure in Rosemary's Baby, etc. Celebrities joined the church which built a mystique about it. But....it was short lived. Once people found out it's just over dramatic humanism, it lost it's appeal. In other words, The CoS is a bit like Alice Cooper. Once the shock element faded away, it was time to move onto something else.

Most people naturally want to indulge in self pleasure, get revenge, get self-promoted, being kind to only those kind to you, etc etc. There is nothing impressive about it. A bit like the kid who learns martial arts, and manipulates fights with others who are just as self-preserving, afraid to go to prison, afraid of ending up in the hospital, etc.

Not a bad synopsis of Satanism.

LaVey was also a huge Ayn Rand fan, and I have heard more than a few detractors of the CoS say that it's just Randian Obejectivism with some mystical crap tossed in.

Funny that you mentioned Alice Cooper. I actually know him! I live in Prescott, AZ, which is 100 miles north of Phoenix, where he lives. I don't know if I mentioned this before but I am in a metal band, our of Phoenix, mostly, named Vehemence.

We were in a Battle of The Band deal in Tucson a few years ago--actually it was back in 2006--and Coop was one of the hosts/judges. Hell of a nice guy. But get this: did you know he is a born again Christian. Yeah...big time. A biblical literalist, in fact. His Dad was a preacher back in the day.

But he still tours and performs today, at age 67--I think. And is still into all the shock rock and goth stuff. Which just goes to show you that one does not have to really believe in what they sell.....
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:43:39 AM
At 5/7/2015 11:10:14 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

LaVey was also a huge Ayn Rand fan, and I have heard more than a few detractors of the CoS say that it's just Randian Obejectivism with some mystical crap tossed in.

I have to admit, I was one of those (assuming I'm not the only one) who walked along California Street wondering which house was used as their church. It might have been torn down by now though.

Funny that you mentioned Alice Cooper. I actually know him! I live in Prescott, AZ, which is 100 miles north of Phoenix, where he lives. I don't know if I mentioned this before but I am in a metal band, our of Phoenix, mostly, named Vehemence.

I've always like Alice Cooper's music. I was able to see him live once on his "Alice Goes To Hell" Tour. It was sort of a metal musical.

We were in a Battle of The Band deal in Tucson a few years ago--actually it was back in 2006--and Coop was one of the hosts/judges. Hell of a nice guy. But get this: did you know he is a born again Christian. Yeah...big time. A biblical literalist, in fact. His Dad was a preacher back in the day.

I don't recall you mentioning you are in a band, but I am somewhat familiar with a Christian doom metal band in the Phoenix area called Troglodyte Dawn. I say somewhat because it was from a discussion forum that I engaged in conversation with the front man. It wouldn't surprise me if they were in that Battle of the Band deal. I say that with some reserve because I'm not one who would really know what good, or good enough doom metal would be for the caliber of the event you mentioned.
But he still tours and performs today, at age 67--I think. And is still into all the shock rock and goth stuff. Which just goes to show you that one does not have to really believe in what they sell.....
Yes..and I did hear he was a Christian. I remember reading his testimony. Quite interesting.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:55:22 AM
At 5/7/2015 11:43:39 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

I have to admit, I was one of those (assuming I'm not the only one) who walked along California Street wondering which house was used as their church. It might have been torn down by now though.

I've always like Alice Cooper's music. I was able to see him live once on his "Alice Goes To Hell" Tour. It was sort of a metal musical.

I don't recall you mentioning you are in a band, but I am somewhat familiar with a Christian doom metal band in the Phoenix area called Troglodyte Dawn. I say somewhat because it was from a discussion forum that I engaged in conversation with the front man. It wouldn't surprise me if they were in that Battle of the Band deal. I say that with some reserve because I'm not one who would really know what good, or good enough doom metal would be for the caliber of the event you mentioned.
Yes..and I did hear he was a Christian. I remember reading his testimony. Quite interesting.

Cool...small world.

I know Randy Michaux..their guitarist. TD was not in that particular BotB gig I mentioned, but we were on the bill with them another time during this "Desert Swarm" metal fest in Phoenix. I dig their stuff. Randy is a killer guitarist.
I'm a lowly drummer, btw!

I will have to read Coops testimony. I never have. He usually is hesitant to talk about his religion to casual acquaintences, like me. I did not mean to imply I was freinds with Alice. I just met him twice and maybe said a dozen words with him. He may or may not even remember be.

Anyway..thanks!
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 11:39:57 AM
At 5/7/2015 11:55:22 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/7/2015 11:43:39 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

Cool...small world.

I know Randy Michaux..their guitarist. TD was not in that particular BotB gig I mentioned, but we were on the bill with them another time during this "Desert Swarm" metal fest in Phoenix. I dig their stuff. Randy is a killer guitarist.
I'm a lowly drummer, btw!

I will have to read Coops testimony. I never have. He usually is hesitant to talk about his religion to casual acquaintences, like me. I did not mean to imply I was freinds with Alice. I just met him twice and maybe said a dozen words with him. He may or may not even remember be.

Anyway..thanks!
That's right, Randy! I couldn't remember his name off hand (it's been a few years).

As far as drumming, to an observer like myself, it's an audio and visual phenomenon.