Total Posts:58|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Did they Hear or Not?

olivetwo
Posts: 262
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 6:21:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this.

The Greek word 'akouo' only means to hear or listen. There are various Greek words for understand and none of them are 'akouo'.

Even if 'akouo' had the two meanings you state, how could you possibly know which one the author meant? You are just cherry-picking. It would be far more likely that the author meant exactly the same thing in both verses.
Gentorev
Posts: 2,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:14:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 6:21:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this.

The Greek word 'akouo' only means to hear or listen. There are various Greek words for understand and none of them are 'akouo'.

Even if 'akouo' had the two meanings you state, how could you possibly know which one the author meant? You are just cherry-picking. It would be far more likely that the author meant exactly the same thing in both verses.

Sorry to have to be the one to kick you back side again dee-em, but your ignorance demands that someone do it.

In Acts 9: 7; The Greek "Akouo" meaning "to give ear" or "to hear" is used. The same Greek term is used in Acts 22: 9; but we know from !st Corinthians 14: 2; where it is written, "The one who speaks in strange tongues does not speak to others, but to God, because no one "UNDERSTANDS" him.

The Greek term "akouo" is used here also, but in this instance it is translated to mean "UNDERSTAND".

So Acts 9: 7; reveals that the men who were with Paul, heard the voice but saw no man. While Acts 22:9; reveals that although they saw no man, they did see the light from which the voice spoke, but they did not "UNDERSTAND" what the voice had said.

Just because he is only 16 mate, that doesn't mean that he isn't far more intelligent than you.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:37:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 8:14:30 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 5/7/2015 6:21:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this.

The Greek word 'akouo' only means to hear or listen. There are various Greek words for understand and none of them are 'akouo'.

Even if 'akouo' had the two meanings you state, how could you possibly know which one the author meant? You are just cherry-picking. It would be far more likely that the author meant exactly the same thing in both verses.

Sorry to have to be the one to kick you back side again dee-em, but your ignorance demands that someone do it.

In Acts 9: 7; The Greek "Akouo" meaning "to give ear" or "to hear" is used. The same Greek term is used in Acts 22: 9; but we know from !st Corinthians 14: 2; where it is written, "The one who speaks in strange tongues does not speak to others, but to God, because no one "UNDERSTANDS" him.

The Greek term "akouo" is used here also, but in this instance it is translated to mean "UNDERSTAND".

So Acts 9: 7; reveals that the men who were with Paul, heard the voice but saw no man. While Acts 22:9; reveals that although they saw no man, they did see the light from which the voice spoke, but they did not "UNDERSTAND" what the voice had said.

Just because he is only 16 mate, that doesn't mean that he isn't far more intelligent than you.

The only backside you are kicking is your own, Gentorev. I speak some Greek and 'akouo' means hear or listen. If you don't believe me look it up in a biblical Greek-English lexicon. Any other translation is incorrect. I notice that some non-mainstream Bibles actually have the correct translation for the verse you quote:

http://biblehub.com...
baddebater
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this. : :

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:50:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 8:14:30 AM, Gentorev wrote:

Just because he is only 16 mate, that doesn't mean that he isn't far more intelligent than you.

From the username, I suspect it's a 'she' rather than a 'he'. I could be wrong.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:51:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this. : :

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

Of course it is. We think in words, words are the symbols our mind uses to represent those thought and when we attempt to share them with other people.

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

Same place you do, they just have different outlooks on things that inspire them differently, sometimes profoundly.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:53:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

God-does-it. Lol.
Gentorev
Posts: 2,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 9:10:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 8:37:08 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:14:30 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 5/7/2015 6:21:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this.

The Greek word 'akouo' only means to hear or listen. There are various Greek words for understand and none of them are 'akouo'.

Even if 'akouo' had the two meanings you state, how could you possibly know which one the author meant? You are just cherry-picking. It would be far more likely that the author meant exactly the same thing in both verses.

Sorry to have to be the one to kick you back side again dee-em, but your ignorance demands that someone do it.

In Acts 9: 7; The Greek "Akouo" meaning "to give ear" or "to hear" is used. The same Greek term is used in Acts 22: 9; but we know from !st Corinthians 14: 2; where it is written, "The one who speaks in strange tongues does not speak to others, but to God, because no one "UNDERSTANDS" him.

The Greek term "akouo" is used here also, but in this instance it is translated to mean "UNDERSTAND".

So Acts 9: 7; reveals that the men who were with Paul, heard the voice but saw no man. While Acts 22:9; reveals that although they saw no man, they did see the light from which the voice spoke, but they did not "UNDERSTAND" what the voice had said.

Just because he is only 16 mate, that doesn't mean that he isn't far more intelligent than you.

The only backside you are kicking is your own, Gentorev. I speak some Greek and 'akouo' means hear or listen. If you don't believe me look it up in a biblical Greek-English lexicon. Any other translation is incorrect. I notice that some non-mainstream Bibles actually have the correct translation for the verse you quote:

http://biblehub.com...

Young's Analytical Concordance to the bible, Understand (9) 1st Corinthians 14: 2; "UNDERSTAND"="akouo."
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 9:21:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 9:10:09 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:37:08 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:14:30 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 5/7/2015 6:21:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this.

The Greek word 'akouo' only means to hear or listen. There are various Greek words for understand and none of them are 'akouo'.

Even if 'akouo' had the two meanings you state, how could you possibly know which one the author meant? You are just cherry-picking. It would be far more likely that the author meant exactly the same thing in both verses.

Sorry to have to be the one to kick you back side again dee-em, but your ignorance demands that someone do it.

In Acts 9: 7; The Greek "Akouo" meaning "to give ear" or "to hear" is used. The same Greek term is used in Acts 22: 9; but we know from !st Corinthians 14: 2; where it is written, "The one who speaks in strange tongues does not speak to others, but to God, because no one "UNDERSTANDS" him.

The Greek term "akouo" is used here also, but in this instance it is translated to mean "UNDERSTAND".

So Acts 9: 7; reveals that the men who were with Paul, heard the voice but saw no man. While Acts 22:9; reveals that although they saw no man, they did see the light from which the voice spoke, but they did not "UNDERSTAND" what the voice had said.

Just because he is only 16 mate, that doesn't mean that he isn't far more intelligent than you.

The only backside you are kicking is your own, Gentorev. I speak some Greek and 'akouo' means hear or listen. If you don't believe me look it up in a biblical Greek-English lexicon. Any other translation is incorrect. I notice that some non-mainstream Bibles actually have the correct translation for the verse you quote:

http://biblehub.com...

Young's Analytical Concordance to the bible, Understand (9) 1st Corinthians 14: 2; "UNDERSTAND"="akouo."

Since you cite nothing, I had to try to find it myself:

http://www.biblestudytools.com...

I presume this is the same Young? Hearken does not mean 'understand'. It means to give heed or attention to what is said, ie. to listen.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 9:51:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this. : :

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

It's called, "Thinking".
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
baddebater
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 10:25:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 8:53:19 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

God-does-it. Lol. : :

Why are you laughing?
baddebater
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 10:34:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 9:51:49 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this. : :

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

It's called, "Thinking". : :

Do you believe the brain of a man is the mind?
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 10:37:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 8:53:19 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

God-does-it. Lol.

Some blame or credit A. Muse.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 10:44:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 10:25:14 PM, baddebater wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:53:19 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

God-does-it. Lol. : :

Why are you laughing?

Because it's funny. Whenever theists come up with what they think is a difficult question, the standard response is "God-did-it". The God of the gaps.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 10:47:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 10:37:06 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:53:19 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

God-does-it. Lol.

Some blame or credit A. Muse.

We've had our differences, but I like that. :-)
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 10:52:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 8:37:08 AM, dee-em wrote:

........... I speak some Greek and 'akouo' means hear or listen. .....

Some Greek?
A first year student in any foreign language can claim to speak "some" of the language.

You only need to know a few words in another language to be able to claim to speak "some" of the language.

How fluent is your Greek? How many Greek words have more than one meaning and can be used in different ways? How many Greek idioms do you know?
Do the Greek have a different word which conveys a "hearing by the ears" than one which conveys a "hearing with understanding"?

All people on this forum can read and write ( hear) English and still can't understand (hear) those who write English back to them.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:01:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 10:47:25 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 10:37:06 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:53:19 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

God-does-it. Lol.

Some blame or credit A. Muse.

We've had our differences, but I like that. :-)

We may have some differences but I think you agree with me that all invisible supernatural gods are mythical characters.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:01:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 6:21:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this.

The Greek word 'akouo' only means to hear or listen. There are various Greek words for understand and none of them are 'akouo'.

Even if 'akouo' had the two meanings you state, how could you possibly know which one the author meant? You are just cherry-picking. It would be far more likely that the author meant exactly the same thing in both verses.

In ancient Greek, how would one say "I hear and obey"? In the Greek of Homer and such.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:18:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 10:52:30 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:37:08 AM, dee-em wrote:

........... I speak some Greek and 'akouo' means hear or listen. .....

Some Greek?
A first year student in any foreign language can claim to speak "some" of the language.

You only need to know a few words in another language to be able to claim to speak "some" of the language.

How fluent is your Greek? How many Greek words have more than one meaning and can be used in different ways? How many Greek idioms do you know?

Not fluent. I was born in Greece and had schooling up to about the age of 8 before my family emigrated to Australia. I then attended religious Greek School fora few years but I wasn't really interested and I let my Greek lapse until a recent holiday to my homeland where I brushed up on it again.

We're not discussing idioms here, only a single word. I'm fairly sure I know what it means. When I look up the word in my Greek-English dictionary it says "hear, listen".

Do the Greek have a different word which conveys a "hearing by the ears" than one which conveys a "hearing with understanding"?

Yes, the Greek word I know for that is 'katalaveno' off the top of my head.

All people on this forum can read and write ( hear) English and still can't understand (hear) those who write English back to them.

Um. Sure. If you say so.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:21:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 11:01:57 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/7/2015 6:21:31 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:
Acts 9: 7; states that the men who were with Saul heard the voice that spoke to him but didn't see anyone, while in Acts 22: 9; it is said that the men who were with Saul did NOT hear the voice that spoke to Saul.

This one came from Gentorev. One of my friend here.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

That translation is in KJV. The word use with two verse is both HEARING. However If we are going to get the original mean of the word in Greek is akouo which mean two definition " to hear " and to " to understand ". Therefore Paul and Luke are not contradict with each other. The conflict comes from a wrong translation.

So, if we are going to translate this in a right words, the outcome will this.

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

This one is correct " hearing a voice ". In Acts 22:9 the right word to use is " understand " not " Hear ". Therefore this is the outcome.

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they understand not the voice of him that spake to me."

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

Fell free to put comments with this but don't expect me to add another answer with this.

The Greek word 'akouo' only means to hear or listen. There are various Greek words for understand and none of them are 'akouo'.

Even if 'akouo' had the two meanings you state, how could you possibly know which one the author meant? You are just cherry-picking. It would be far more likely that the author meant exactly the same thing in both verses.

In ancient Greek, how would one say "I hear and obey"? In the Greek of Homer and such.

How would I know? Do your own leg-work. I fail to see how this is relevant anyway.
baddebater
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:34:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 10:44:24 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 10:25:14 PM, baddebater wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:53:19 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

God-does-it. Lol. : :

Why are you laughing?

Because it's funny. Whenever theists come up with what they think is a difficult question, the standard response is "God-did-it". The God of the gaps. : :

Why don't you attempt to answer my questions instead of laughing? Laughing indicates to me that you don't know the answers yourself. So why be laughing at theists when you should be laughing at yourself?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:35:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 6:24:36 AM, dee-em wrote:
I should add that 'akouo' is the root of the English word acoustics.

I should add, that we say things like "do you see what i am talking about?" Does that mean "see" is revering to something the eyes can sense? No it doesn't.

Maybe because you speak a little Greek you will know that translations are not a word for word decoding. Translations have to take into account context, audience, time period.

In Corinthians 14:2 "For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit."

understands in that sentence is the greek word "akouo". If we take the literalist view you advocate it would mean words spoken aloud are not heard.

Truth doesn't matter when atheist attack religions, point is to win. It's almost like making a strawman. The only way to interpret this passage is the way the atheist says to interpret it. And the passage makes no sense now. WOW go figure how did that happen. merit of the interpreter.

But if we do want to be honest what do we have? Well we have phrasing that can mean a physical perception is synonymous with a mental grasping (grasping.. hey look another physical verb for "understand", take hold of the truth..ect...) many examples.

This phrasing can't be determined just by written word but by context as well.

I'm not going to say this is not a contradiction.. But Deem you could get your facts straight.

And to answer the previous question.. the phrase "I hear and obey" is "akouo kai hupoakouo". How can you obey what you do not understand?
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:45:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 11:34:46 PM, baddebater wrote:
At 5/7/2015 10:44:24 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 10:25:14 PM, baddebater wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:53:19 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

God-does-it. Lol. : :

Why are you laughing?

Because it's funny. Whenever theists come up with what they think is a difficult question, the standard response is "God-did-it". The God of the gaps. : :

Why don't you attempt to answer my questions instead of laughing?

Because I thought it would be amusing to go to the heart of the question - your assumption in asking it.

Laughing indicates to me that you don't know the answers yourself.

You would be wrong, but you aren't really interested in an answer from the natural world are you? Fess up.

So why be laughing at theists when you should be laughing at yourself?

Oh, I laugh at myself all the time. Just last night I put a bag of carrots in the freezer instead of the fridge compartment. So funny.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:48:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

A ventriloquist was hiding in the bushes?

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

The hidden ventriloquist shone a torch into their eyes and their fear of the light caused them to block out any sounds they might have heard? Emotional trauma can cause selective deafness. People tend to "block out" or "ignore" what they do not want to "hear" or understand.

The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

All my ridiculous explanations aside.....
The fact is that if a voice is audible, anyone who has hearing ability will hear it even if they do not understand it. Only the deaf would not hear something audible. Anyone could hear a voice spoken in a different language to what they understand and no one would say they did not hear the voice just because they did not understand the language.

In the story, the " voice" apparently came from a "Light" which claimed to be Jesus. Acts 26:13-19..
That section of the story also indicates that the character Paul saw a "vision". Greek word is "Optasia"
http://biblehub.com...

A "spiritual vision" is not something you see with physical eyes. It is all about seeing with the minds eye or inner eye and since that is the case, the hearing would also be an inner hearing or a revelation as is portrayed in the images of cartoons with light globes going on above their heads.
"To see the Light" is to understand something you have not understood before. It is to gain a revelation of Truth.

Some see and hear "the Light" and others simply do not hear and see the same thing at all because the same light that enlightens some also makes others blind and deaf.

Matt 13: 13-14 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

The principle which is conveyed in the story is that many people can be looking directly at truth and still not be able to recognize it as truth. They are blind and deaf to it because the truth itself blinds and confuses them.
baddebater
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:56:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 11:45:31 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 11:34:46 PM, baddebater wrote:
At 5/7/2015 10:44:24 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 10:25:14 PM, baddebater wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:53:19 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:46:55 AM, baddebater wrote:

Is it possible to hear spoken words in your mind?

How do musicians, artists, inventors and philosophers get their ideas?

God-does-it. Lol. : :

Why are you laughing?

Because it's funny. Whenever theists come up with what they think is a difficult question, the standard response is "God-did-it". The God of the gaps. : :

Why don't you attempt to answer my questions instead of laughing?

Because I thought it would be amusing to go to the heart of the question - your assumption in asking it.

Laughing indicates to me that you don't know the answers yourself.

You would be wrong, but you aren't really interested in an answer from the natural world are you? Fess up.

So why be laughing at theists when you should be laughing at yourself?

Oh, I laugh at myself all the time. Just last night I put a bag of carrots in the freezer instead of the fridge compartment. So funny. : :

What's so funny about frozen carrots?
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 12:00:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 11:35:05 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/7/2015 6:24:36 AM, dee-em wrote:
I should add that 'akouo' is the root of the English word acoustics.

I should add, that we say things like "do you see what i am talking about?" Does that mean "see" is revering to something the eyes can sense? No it doesn't.

Maybe because you speak a little Greek you will know that translations are not a word for word decoding. Translations have to take into account context, audience, time period.

In Corinthians 14:2 "For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit."

understands in that sentence is the greek word "akouo". If we take the literalist view you advocate it would mean words spoken aloud are not heard.

Um, where have you been? That indeed has been the bone of contention. To use your own argument above the "not heard" can mean ignored. It's a perfectly readable translation.

Truth doesn't matter when atheist attack religions, point is to win. It's almost like making a strawman. The only way to interpret this passage is the way the atheist says to interpret it. And the passage makes no sense now. WOW go figure how did that happen. merit of the interpreter.

It makes sense, which is probably why the translator chose to go down that path. However, it is not what the original Greek says. You can't just take liberties with the text and insert your own interpretations.

But if we do want to be honest what do we have? Well we have phrasing that can mean a physical perception is synonymous with a mental grasping (grasping.. hey look another physical verb for "understand", take hold of the truth..ect...) many examples.

This phrasing can't be determined just by written word but by context as well.

I'm not going to say this is not a contradiction.. But Deem you could get your facts straight.

What facts have I got wrong, again? Oh yeah, I haven't taken account of the "context" in some unspecified way which only you are privy to.

And to answer the previous question.. the phrase "I hear and obey" is "akouo kai hupoakouo". How can you obey what you do not understand?

How can you understand a command you do not hear? Lol.

Thank you for confirming that 'akouo' means 'hear', as I have been saying all along.
baddebater
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 12:01:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 11:48:27 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/7/2015 12:53:17 AM, olivetwo wrote:

ACTS 9:7
"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless,hearing a voice, but seeing no man."

A ventriloquist was hiding in the bushes?

While in ACTS 22:9
"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me."

The hidden ventriloquist shone a torch into their eyes and their fear of the light caused them to block out any sounds they might have heard? Emotional trauma can cause selective deafness. People tend to "block out" or "ignore" what they do not want to "hear" or understand.


The conclusion is. Yes, the companion of Saul Hear the Voice but not Understand it.

All my ridiculous explanations aside.....
The fact is that if a voice is audible, anyone who has hearing ability will hear it even if they do not understand it. Only the deaf would not hear something audible. Anyone could hear a voice spoken in a different language to what they understand and no one would say they did not hear the voice just because they did not understand the language.

In the story, the " voice" apparently came from a "Light" which claimed to be Jesus. Acts 26:13-19..
That section of the story also indicates that the character Paul saw a "vision". Greek word is "Optasia"
http://biblehub.com...

A "spiritual vision" is not something you see with physical eyes. It is all about seeing with the minds eye or inner eye and since that is the case, the hearing would also be an inner hearing or a revelation as is portrayed in the images of cartoons with light globes going on above their heads.
"To see the Light" is to understand something you have not understood before. It is to gain a revelation of Truth.

Some see and hear "the Light" and others simply do not hear and see the same thing at all because the same light that enlightens some also makes others blind and deaf.

Matt 13: 13-14 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:


The principle which is conveyed in the story is that many people can be looking directly at truth and still not be able to recognize it as truth. They are blind and deaf to it because the truth itself blinds and confuses them. : :

What is the truth that you see?