Total Posts:160|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

If JC were to come back today..........

Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

What say you?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:27:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.


Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

None, the teachings of Jesus do not support any religious sect or denominations, those are developed based on personal interest and opposing views. If you think otherwise feel free to present something worth my while.
Our focus as the body should be unity, this is why I'm no member of any system and I do not intend to divide myself from others by siding with religion, this is completely useless and has nothing to do with spirituality.
Christianity is not a label, the sooner you figure that out the closer you've come to the truth now go read the Gospels lol.


Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

None because they are all BS LOL, sorry but you need to be a little more creative if you want to have some fun :)

What say you?

Lets see something in scripture that indicates where the confusion is....
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:34:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 2:27:07 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.


Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

None, the teachings of Jesus do not support any religious sect or denominations, those are developed based on personal interest and opposing views. If you think otherwise feel free to present something worth my while.
Our focus as the body should be unity, this is why I'm no member of any system and I do not intend to divide myself from others by siding with religion, this is completely useless and has nothing to do with spirituality.
Christianity is not a label, the sooner you figure that out the closer you've come to the truth now go read the Gospels lol.


Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

None because they are all BS LOL, sorry but you need to be a little more creative if you want to have some fun :)

What say you?

Lets see something in scripture that indicates where the confusion is....

So...the very first post is some toolbag who does exactly what I ask not to be done. Great. LOL. I reckon that's what ya get with open forums.

Also: guys like you are the MAIN reason I don't engage in religion any longer.

Look up the word hubris when you put down your KJV for a second. LOL

Next?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:37:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 2:34:54 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/8/2015 2:27:07 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.


Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

None, the teachings of Jesus do not support any religious sect or denominations, those are developed based on personal interest and opposing views. If you think otherwise feel free to present something worth my while.
Our focus as the body should be unity, this is why I'm no member of any system and I do not intend to divide myself from others by siding with religion, this is completely useless and has nothing to do with spirituality.
Christianity is not a label, the sooner you figure that out the closer you've come to the truth now go read the Gospels lol.


Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

None because they are all BS LOL, sorry but you need to be a little more creative if you want to have some fun :)

What say you?

Lets see something in scripture that indicates where the confusion is....

So...the very first post is some toolbag who does exactly what I ask not to be done. Great. LOL. I reckon that's what ya get with open forums.

Also: guys like you are the MAIN reason I don't engage in religion any longer.

Look up the word hubris when you put down your KJV for a second. LOL

Next?

Oh look the fun is over and the gloves are on, lets see if you can refrain from being a tool yourself. Just give me one reason to consider this supported by scripture, its so clear it's not worth playing the game.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:43:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 2:37:21 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/8/2015 2:34:54 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/8/2015 2:27:07 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.


Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

None, the teachings of Jesus do not support any religious sect or denominations, those are developed based on personal interest and opposing views. If you think otherwise feel free to present something worth my while.
Our focus as the body should be unity, this is why I'm no member of any system and I do not intend to divide myself from others by siding with religion, this is completely useless and has nothing to do with spirituality.
Christianity is not a label, the sooner you figure that out the closer you've come to the truth now go read the Gospels lol.


Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

None because they are all BS LOL, sorry but you need to be a little more creative if you want to have some fun :)

What say you?

Lets see something in scripture that indicates where the confusion is....

So...the very first post is some toolbag who does exactly what I ask not to be done. Great. LOL. I reckon that's what ya get with open forums.

Also: guys like you are the MAIN reason I don't engage in religion any longer.

Look up the word hubris when you put down your KJV for a second. LOL

Next?


Oh look the fun is over and the gloves are on, lets see if you can refrain from being a tool yourself. Just give me one reason to consider this supported by scripture, its so clear it's not worth playing the game.

Hmm...how about this one, from Romans 14.............

"As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand."
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:45:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 2:43:30 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/8/2015 2:37:21 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/8/2015 2:34:54 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/8/2015 2:27:07 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.


Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

None, the teachings of Jesus do not support any religious sect or denominations, those are developed based on personal interest and opposing views. If you think otherwise feel free to present something worth my while.
Our focus as the body should be unity, this is why I'm no member of any system and I do not intend to divide myself from others by siding with religion, this is completely useless and has nothing to do with spirituality.
Christianity is not a label, the sooner you figure that out the closer you've come to the truth now go read the Gospels lol.


Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

None because they are all BS LOL, sorry but you need to be a little more creative if you want to have some fun :)

What say you?

Lets see something in scripture that indicates where the confusion is....

So...the very first post is some toolbag who does exactly what I ask not to be done. Great. LOL. I reckon that's what ya get with open forums.

Also: guys like you are the MAIN reason I don't engage in religion any longer.

Look up the word hubris when you put down your KJV for a second. LOL

Next?


Oh look the fun is over and the gloves are on, lets see if you can refrain from being a tool yourself. Just give me one reason to consider this supported by scripture, its so clear it's not worth playing the game.

Hmm...how about this one, from Romans 14.............

"As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand."

Exactly, thanks for proving my point lol! What religious sect does this support?? I said unity is the focus that is what we are instructed.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:50:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
LOL--another self-proclaimed biblical literalist who cannot even correctly interpret scripture. You guys kill me.

The Romans passage was one that advocated TOLERANCE. ACCEPTANCE. NOT Pharisee-like arrogance and judegmentalism like you have shown.

You asked for a quote as to why you should accept my OP question. I provided on that spoke exactly of that topic.

The problem with fundies is that they "cherry pick" and see only what they want to see when they read their bible. I find it continually amusing how often that agnostics like me actually understand the true nature of the scripture better than guys like you.

Must suck to devote so much time to something and still not get it. LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:54:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 2:50:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
LOL--another self-proclaimed biblical literalist who cannot even correctly interpret scripture. You guys kill me.

The Romans passage was one that advocated TOLERANCE. ACCEPTANCE. NOT Pharisee-like arrogance and judegmentalism like you have shown.

You are supporting what I have been saying, you are lost my friend you need to reread what I've been saying. I don't divide myself from other believers by joining a religious sect and claiming all others are wrong. This went completely over your head lol, as I AM tolerant that was the point.

You asked for a quote as to why you should accept my OP question. I provided on that spoke exactly of that topic.

The problem with fundies is that they "cherry pick" and see only what they want to see when they read their bible. I find it continually amusing how often that agnostics like me actually understand the true nature of the scripture better than guys like you.

Must suck to devote so much time to something and still not get it. LOL

What did I cherry pick??? You proved my point with the passage you quoted!
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:56:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 2:53:09 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Oh...here ya go. You could use some of these passages too. No charge, bro...........

http://www.religioustolerance.org...

Thanks for supporting what I've been saying the whole time, making your topic question pointless.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:56:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

What say you?

I'm sorry, but I don't think Yeshua would even recognize any of the religions that profess to follow his teachings. He would not understand why they had buildings and land holdings, why those who taught were paid to do so among other things. He'd really be confused by the Mormons who have a whole different story of where he came from than most and I believe he'd be disgusted by the Catholic church, hoarding almost uncountable wealth while more than half of their followers live in abject poverty. He'd slam Southern Baptist Convention for their blatant bigotry since he never excluded anyone and was even audacious enough to eat a meal with a hated tax collector, Zacheus. Westwood Baptist Church? They'd be consumed by fire for all the hate they have spewed in His name.

I think he'd find a small congregation somewhere in a rural area, with a preacher who actually taught from the word and not from his own desires. He'd sit among the people, listen to his own words taught in his own gentle style. Afterward he'd be asked to join one of the families for Sunday dinner and he'd experience the genuine attitudes that he embodied. "For I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was hungry and you gave me something to eat."

Yes, I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe that the Biblical Christ ever existed but I also recognize the great example that is set in the stories of him. They hold some of the best rules for living and being a good person and we'd all be better off if everyone could live by them.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:58:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 2:56:10 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

What say you?

I'm sorry, but I don't think Yeshua would even recognize any of the religions that profess to follow his teachings. He would not understand why they had buildings and land holdings, why those who taught were paid to do so among other things. He'd really be confused by the Mormons who have a whole different story of where he came from than most and I believe he'd be disgusted by the Catholic church, hoarding almost uncountable wealth while more than half of their followers live in abject poverty. He'd slam Southern Baptist Convention for their blatant bigotry since he never excluded anyone and was even audacious enough to eat a meal with a hated tax collector, Zacheus. Westwood Baptist Church? They'd be consumed by fire for all the hate they have spewed in His name.

I think he'd find a small congregation somewhere in a rural area, with a preacher who actually taught from the word and not from his own desires. He'd sit among the people, listen to his own words taught in his own gentle style. Afterward he'd be asked to join one of the families for Sunday dinner and he'd experience the genuine attitudes that he embodied. "For I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was hungry and you gave me something to eat."

Good insight Hardage, I like this.

Yes, I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe that the Biblical Christ ever existed but I also recognize the great example that is set in the stories of him. They hold some of the best rules for living and being a good person and we'd all be better off if everyone could live by them.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 3:06:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 2:56:10 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

What say you?

I'm sorry, but I don't think Yeshua would even recognize any of the religions that profess to follow his teachings. He would not understand why they had buildings and land holdings, why those who taught were paid to do so among other things. He'd really be confused by the Mormons who have a whole different story of where he came from than most and I believe he'd be disgusted by the Catholic church, hoarding almost uncountable wealth while more than half of their followers live in abject poverty. He'd slam Southern Baptist Convention for their blatant bigotry since he never excluded anyone and was even audacious enough to eat a meal with a hated tax collector, Zacheus. Westwood Baptist Church? They'd be consumed by fire for all the hate they have spewed in His name.

I think he'd find a small congregation somewhere in a rural area, with a preacher who actually taught from the word and not from his own desires. He'd sit among the people, listen to his own words taught in his own gentle style. Afterward he'd be asked to join one of the families for Sunday dinner and he'd experience the genuine attitudes that he embodied. "For I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was hungry and you gave me something to eat."

Yes, I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe that the Biblical Christ ever existed but I also recognize the great example that is set in the stories of him. They hold some of the best rules for living and being a good person and we'd all be better off if everyone could live by them.

Thank you. And I agree almost 100% with you post.

Including the fact that JC would likely be MOST pissed at the Catholic Church. Which I find deliciously ironic, since the RCC claims its "apostolic succession."

And yeah...the LDS would just confuse the poor guy. LOL

I got a question for you, since we seem pretty like-minded. You mentioned JC finding a small rural "old school" sect somewhere. What do think He would think of the Charismatics? Some of the Penecostal sects? They are very accepting of others, and I hate to admit but I once attended a couple of their services--at the insistence of a friend --and I was surprised to discover that I felt some real and honest "power" there. Seems some of those folks truly "get it." (whatever "it" is).

I am not sure about the veracity of the speaking in tongues, but it was very interesting.

Just curious.....
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 3:14:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 3:06:15 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/8/2015 2:56:10 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

What say you?

I'm sorry, but I don't think Yeshua would even recognize any of the religions that profess to follow his teachings. He would not understand why they had buildings and land holdings, why those who taught were paid to do so among other things. He'd really be confused by the Mormons who have a whole different story of where he came from than most and I believe he'd be disgusted by the Catholic church, hoarding almost uncountable wealth while more than half of their followers live in abject poverty. He'd slam Southern Baptist Convention for their blatant bigotry since he never excluded anyone and was even audacious enough to eat a meal with a hated tax collector, Zacheus. Westwood Baptist Church? They'd be consumed by fire for all the hate they have spewed in His name.

I think he'd find a small congregation somewhere in a rural area, with a preacher who actually taught from the word and not from his own desires. He'd sit among the people, listen to his own words taught in his own gentle style. Afterward he'd be asked to join one of the families for Sunday dinner and he'd experience the genuine attitudes that he embodied. "For I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was hungry and you gave me something to eat."

Yes, I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe that the Biblical Christ ever existed but I also recognize the great example that is set in the stories of him. They hold some of the best rules for living and being a good person and we'd all be better off if everyone could live by them.

Thank you. And I agree almost 100% with you post.

Including the fact that JC would likely be MOST pissed at the Catholic Church. Which I find deliciously ironic, since the RCC claims its "apostolic succession."

And yeah...the LDS would just confuse the poor guy. LOL

I got a question for you, since we seem pretty like-minded. You mentioned JC finding a small rural "old school" sect somewhere. What do think He would think of the Charismatics? Some of the Penecostal sects? They are very accepting of others, and I hate to admit but I once attended a couple of their services--at the insistence of a friend --and I was surprised to discover that I felt some real and honest "power" there. Seems some of those folks truly "get it." (whatever "it" is).

I am not sure about the veracity of the speaking in tongues, but it was very interesting.

Just curious.....

There are no instances of speaking in tongues or any of those other practices taking place in any biblical story that I am aware of. Yeshua told parables and tried to impart his lessons without histrionics or drama or 'power'. Miracles were performed mostly when there was great need, such as the fish and the loaves or when someone was in great distress as in the story of Lazarus or the unnamed leper that touched the hem of his clothing and was healed. He lived as he taught and that's, in my view, what he'd be expecting of his followers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 3:17:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Really? I am surpised you are not familiar with tongue-speaking in the Bible.

Ever heard of the Pentecost?

Other stuff too.

Check this out...it is where the Charismatics get their belief that tongue-speaking is a Sign of "being in the Word."

http://www.christianbiblereference.org...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 3:22:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 3:06:15 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/8/2015 2:56:10 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

And why?

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

What say you?

I'm sorry, but I don't think Yeshua would even recognize any of the religions that profess to follow his teachings. He would not understand why they had buildings and land holdings, why those who taught were paid to do so among other things. He'd really be confused by the Mormons who have a whole different story of where he came from than most and I believe he'd be disgusted by the Catholic church, hoarding almost uncountable wealth while more than half of their followers live in abject poverty. He'd slam Southern Baptist Convention for their blatant bigotry since he never excluded anyone and was even audacious enough to eat a meal with a hated tax collector, Zacheus. Westwood Baptist Church? They'd be consumed by fire for all the hate they have spewed in His name.

I think he'd find a small congregation somewhere in a rural area, with a preacher who actually taught from the word and not from his own desires. He'd sit among the people, listen to his own words taught in his own gentle style. Afterward he'd be asked to join one of the families for Sunday dinner and he'd experience the genuine attitudes that he embodied. "For I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was hungry and you gave me something to eat."

Yes, I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe that the Biblical Christ ever existed but I also recognize the great example that is set in the stories of him. They hold some of the best rules for living and being a good person and we'd all be better off if everyone could live by them.

Thank you. And I agree almost 100% with you post.

Including the fact that JC would likely be MOST pissed at the Catholic Church. Which I find deliciously ironic, since the RCC claims its "apostolic succession."

Talk about a toolbag, you thank this poster and degrade my posts with the same content and intention, how do you explain that?

And yeah...the LDS would just confuse the poor guy. LOL

I got a question for you, since we seem pretty like-minded. You mentioned JC finding a small rural "old school" sect somewhere. What do think He would think of the Charismatics? Some of the Penecostal sects? They are very accepting of others, and I hate to admit but I once attended a couple of their services--at the insistence of a friend --and I was surprised to discover that I felt some real and honest "power" there. Seems some of those folks truly "get it." (whatever "it" is).

I am not sure about the veracity of the speaking in tongues, but it was very interesting.

Just curious.....
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 3:32:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 3:17:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Really? I am surpised you are not familiar with tongue-speaking in the Bible.

Ever heard of the Pentecost?

Other stuff too.

Check this out...it is where the Charismatics get their belief that tongue-speaking is a Sign of "being in the Word."

http://www.christianbiblereference.org...

My intent was to say that Yeshua never spoke in tongues. I did not intend to refer to the disciples.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 3:38:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 2:50:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
LOL--another self-proclaimed biblical literalist who cannot even correctly interpret scripture. You guys kill me.

The Romans passage was one that advocated TOLERANCE. ACCEPTANCE. NOT Pharisee-like arrogance and judegmentalism like you have shown.

You asked for a quote as to why you should accept my OP question. I provided on that spoke exactly of that topic.

The problem with fundies is that they "cherry pick" and see only what they want to see when they read their bible. I find it continually amusing how often that agnostics like me actually understand the true nature of the scripture better than guys like you.

Must suck to devote so much time to something and still not get it. LOL

You need to clear your head as I never cherry picked anything. I said unity was the focus of the Body, not division, which is why I said in my very first post...

"None, the teachings of Jesus do not support any religious sect or denominations, those are developed based on personal interest and opposing views. If you think otherwise feel free to present something worth my while.
Our focus as the body should be unity, this is why I'm no member of any system and I do not intend to divide myself from others by siding with religion, this is completely useless and has nothing to do with spirituality."

Now explain how I'm a fundie, a toolbag and a cherrypicker....

I'm the opposite of a Pharisee, I'd be glad to see you produce something I've ever said that proves otherwise, feel free to check my post history, sorry you feel the way you do but it's too bad you're so short sided and biased.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 12:02:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 3:38:28 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/8/2015 2:50:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
LOL--another self-proclaimed biblical literalist who cannot even correctly interpret scripture. You guys kill me.

The Romans passage was one that advocated TOLERANCE. ACCEPTANCE. NOT Pharisee-like arrogance and judegmentalism like you have shown.

You asked for a quote as to why you should accept my OP question. I provided on that spoke exactly of that topic.

The problem with fundies is that they "cherry pick" and see only what they want to see when they read their bible. I find it continually amusing how often that agnostics like me actually understand the true nature of the scripture better than guys like you.

Must suck to devote so much time to something and still not get it. LOL

You need to clear your head as I never cherry picked anything. I said unity was the focus of the Body, not division, which is why I said in my very first post...

"None, the teachings of Jesus do not support any religious sect or denominations, those are developed based on personal interest and opposing views. If you think otherwise feel free to present something worth my while.
Our focus as the body should be unity, this is why I'm no member of any system and I do not intend to divide myself from others by siding with religion, this is completely useless and has nothing to do with spirituality."

Now explain how I'm a fundie, a toolbag and a cherrypicker....

I'm the opposite of a Pharisee, I'd be glad to see you produce something I've ever said that proves otherwise, feel free to check my post history, sorry you feel the way you do but it's too bad you're so short sided and biased.

No worries, mate. I may have been overly harsh on you. It's just that your OP sort of hit me wrong when it seemed to do the exact thing I politely asked responders NOT to do: and that is to denigrate the entire idea of my post by saying the idea was faulty.

But this IS a public forum and I guess even the Thread authors have no right to restrict responses and opinions.

I also think that believers in biblical literalism DO often ignore parts of the bible they cannot explain, or admit or, well, distasteful, while clamping on fervently to the passages that fit their beliefs. Or their agendas.

Anyway..back to my OP. If JC were to come back I agree He would be none too happy with the overall state of Christianity today. For one, he would shake his head in bewilderment at the min-numbing array and variety of all the different Faiths, or denominations.

I could see Him flipping through the Churches section of any big city Yellow Pages and just going, "No...no..this is NOT what I had in mind" LOL

He would fairly loathe what has become of the RCC. And especially how the idea of a Pope, and their claim of total authority to to apostolic succession. And the history of the RCC would infuriate Him. And if he were told of the pederast Priests....ouch!

Recall his admonishment in the Gospels of what happens to those who harm the little ones. Millstone..neck...lake!

I do not feel he would have too much problem with some of the Protestant sects. Maybe he would dig Lutherans, especially after he was told about Martin Luther and his rebellion against the RCC that began the Protestant Reformation. That was something JC mighta done himself.

I think he wouldn't mind the Quakers. Maybe not even the Pentecostals, with all of their fervor and energy.

I sometimes go to our local Unity Church. We have a good time. No fire and brimstone. Liberal Christian. Play music. Non-judgmental. He would prolly not mind that so much.

But most likely He would prefer some small rural Ecumenical church.

And of course......the Jews and their Synagogues..I dunno. He WAS Jewish and was educated in that system and dogma. But they do not accept HIm as Savior. Then again...I have my doubts the JC was ever really trying to tell us that He alone WAS the Savior. And that sure, he was the son of God...but so are you and I.

The only places He claims in the Gospels to be that is in John. and I am of the belief the author of that book took great liberties. It was the last of the gospels and was written some 70 years after JC died. AFTER the Jewish-Roman war, when tempers were high and the Christians needed fuel for the fire. SO they embellished alot.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 3:55:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/9/2015 12:02:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/8/2015 3:38:28 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/8/2015 2:50:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:


No worries, mate. I may have been overly harsh on you. It's just that your OP sort of hit me wrong when it seemed to do the exact thing I politely asked responders NOT to do: and that is to denigrate the entire idea of my post by saying the idea was faulty.

Well I knew we were gonna agree in the end so I saw no real fun in playing along, religious division is disgusting, it's an excuse for people to avoid what we are asked and that is to pursue unity and to love one another. Jesus and Paul both knew the power in unity and being in one accord. In the spirit unity is unbreakable, it generates power and that is why it is so resisted.

But this IS a public forum and I guess even the Thread authors have no right to restrict responses and opinions.

I was only trying to have fun, I didn't think you were gonna get so excited about it, my bad. I mean I guess I coulda changed the wording a bit like Hardage but it backfired so my apologies.

I also think that believers in biblical literalism DO often ignore parts of the bible they cannot explain, or admit or, well, distasteful, while clamping on fervently to the passages that fit their beliefs. Or their agendas.

Yeah I have no agenda so these things don't bother me. A lot of non believers (and believers for that matter) have trouble with the different styles of writing the Bible weaves in and out of. In combines the usage of styles such as analogies, imagery, figurative, literal, poetry, visions, prophesies, illustrations, metaphors and spiritual principles ect..
One chapter in scripture can contain several styles to convey its intent. Meaning it can alternate between literal statements, analogies and symbolic meanings. This is not a defect but just the way the writers communicated, it always surprises me the way people try to examine it like a work of science lol, it is a spiritual book written my spiritual men ages ago and it reflects spiritual truth and spiritual principles.

Anyway..back to my OP. If JC were to come back I agree He would be none too happy with the overall state of Christianity today. For one, he would shake his head in bewilderment at the min-numbing array and variety of all the different Faiths, or denominations.

Ya know honestly other than the fact that it's causing divisions I actually have no problems with the fact there are many denominations, I just don't care. The reason why is because if you look at the number of people and the variety of human traits and personalities it only seems logical that people are going to flock to what suits them best, I mean I don't want to be stuck in some building with a bunch of old Baptists or Catholics lol, some body else may want to but not me.
I have no issues with that what I have a problem with is the attacking of others and the ignoring of our duties as believers. Though I have no problems with different personalities it's mainly the atheists and so forth that make the issue a big deal, to them it's evidence against our position but I disagree, I just am against the division not the flavors.

I could see Him flipping through the Churches section of any big city Yellow Pages and just going, "No...no..this is NOT what I had in mind" LOL

Lol, I don't even think He would start with church.

He would fairly loathe what has become of the RCC. And especially how the idea of a Pope, and their claim of total authority to to apostolic succession. And the history of the RCC would infuriate Him. And if he were told of the pederast Priests....ouch!

This makes me ill, they changed a powerful spiritual principle (upon this rock) into an ugly, man made image. Is it just me? every time I see a Pope it makes my skin crawl?? They just look evil lol.

Recall his admonishment in the Gospels of what happens to those who harm the little ones. Millstone..neck...lake!

I do not feel he would have too much problem with some of the Protestant sects. Maybe he would dig Lutherans, especially after he was told about Martin Luther and his rebellion against the RCC that began the Protestant Reformation. That was something JC mighta done himself.

Yeah can't help but to like ol Luther, seems like a good guy. I would personally visit any church it don't matter to me because I know what I am and what I believe but the protestants seem to have more dynamics, and I like dynamics but again I don't like the mentality of division and putting that before love and tolerance.

I think he wouldn't mind the Quakers. Maybe not even the Pentecostals, with all of their fervor and energy.

Haha! Pentecostals have the right attitude, I think Jesus was probably a bit more theatrical and loud considering His crowds and the gathering scenario.

I sometimes go to our local Unity Church. We have a good time. No fire and brimstone. Liberal Christian. Play music. Non-judgmental. He would prolly not mind that so much.

But most likely He would prefer some small rural Ecumenical church.

Hmm not sure about the rural part but I get it lol. I like the home group private type of things more so though. Seems to have more of an atmosphere of freedom, since most church services are organized. I like the free flow lol, I'm also a musician and I like intimate and personal one on one stuff. I've had more valuable experiences in more intimate settings, but finding spiritual people is not always easy. A lot of people including believers have very material mind sets, it's great to fellowship and have people that can offer you more than what you have.

And of course......the Jews and their Synagogues..I dunno. He WAS Jewish and was educated in that system and dogma. But they do not accept HIm as Savior. Then again...I have my doubts the JC was ever really trying to tell us that He alone WAS the Savior. And that sure, he was the son of God...but so are you and I.

Well the truth of the matter is Jesus loves both the religious and the non, it's just that religion can restrict, it can create strongholds because religion is not flexible, establishments and institutions are not pliable, the Pharisees where stuck in a religious mold, they were not pliable and were not willing to move with the spirit of God, they were unable to recognize the presence of Gods Spirit.

The only places He claims in the Gospels to be that is in John. and I am of the belief the author of that book took great liberties. It was the last of the gospels and was written some 70 years after JC died. AFTER the Jewish-Roman war, when tempers were high and the Christians needed fuel for the fire. SO they embellished alot.

Well I think either way the message is clear, that Jesus was some part of God and He has delivered a path that we can enter into. Whether He is God or just the Son of God or just an amazing prophet or whatever one thing is for certain, He left instructions and principles that pertain to our spiritual being, and to me those things are simple.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 5:24:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....
.......
So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?

None. I think he would most likely preach the same thing he preached to the religious hypocrites in Matthew 23.
He would tell all of them their father is the devil. Then they would all be offended by him, reject him and throw him out of their churches as some arrogant evil man and if they could crucify him all over again they would.

Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

He would have no use for any of them. Not because they are against what he taught in the bible but because they do not practice what they preach. He would most likely say the same as he said in the bible story about the religious hypocrites..... Listen to what they say but do not do as they do. Matt 23:1-8

And why?

Because they are idol worshipers and worship their own doctrines more than the truth. They also like to advertise and display their own so called "spirituality". You only need to notice how many old codgers like to believe they are "chosen teachers." and brag about their so called personal "revelations" and "spiritual experiences."
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 5:36:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 3:32:50 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/8/2015 3:17:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Really? I am surpised you are not familiar with tongue-speaking in the Bible.

Ever heard of the Pentecost?

Other stuff too.

Check this out...it is where the Charismatics get their belief that tongue-speaking is a Sign of "being in the Word."

http://www.christianbiblereference.org...

My intent was to say that Yeshua never spoke in tongues. I did not intend to refer to the disciples.

Obviously you are not a bible scholar. If you were, you would know Jesus did indeed speak "in tongues". ( Isaiah 28:11)

That is why many heard him and did not understand him. (John 8:43)
Gentorev
Posts: 2,909
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:07:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/9/2015 5:36:25 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/8/2015 3:32:50 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/8/2015 3:17:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Really? I am surpised you are not familiar with tongue-speaking in the Bible.

Ever heard of the Pentecost?

Other stuff too.

Check this out...it is where the Charismatics get their belief that tongue-speaking is a Sign of "being in the Word."

http://www.christianbiblereference.org...

My intent was to say that Yeshua never spoke in tongues. I did not intend to refer to the disciples.

Obviously you are not a bible scholar. If you were, you would know Jesus did indeed speak "in tongues". ( Isaiah 28:11)

That is why many heard him and did not understand him. (John 8:43)

Jesus never spoke in tongues, you silly girl. The language that he used over 7 hundred years after Isaiah, was vastly different from the language that Isaiah used when speaking to God's chosen people, but every one who listened to Jesus understood what he said, even if, like yourself, they were unable to comprehend the meaning behind his parables.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 6:32:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 3:38:28 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

You need to clear your head as I never cherry picked anything. I said unity was the focus of the Body, not division, which is why I said in my very first post...

"None, the teachings of Jesus do not support any religious sect or denominations, those are developed based on personal interest and opposing views. If you think otherwise feel free to present something worth my while.
Our focus as the body should be unity, this is why I'm no member of any system and I do not intend to divide myself from others by siding with religion, this is completely useless and has nothing to do with spirituality."

Now explain how I'm a fundie, a toolbag and a cherrypicker....

I'm the opposite of a Pharisee, I'd be glad to see you produce something I've ever said that proves otherwise, feel free to check my post history, sorry you feel the way you do but it's too bad you're so short sided and biased.

If you are not a member of any system why do you claim to be Christian? Christianity is a system of belief which separates itself from other belief systems like Buddhism, Wicca, Taoism, etc. and it also creates division amongst its own members. There are many Christian sects and cults in this world who all argue about whose doctrines are right and whose are false.
Christianity is a "kingdom divided against itself".

They preach unity and practice division.

Matt 10:34-36 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Is Jesus claiming to bring unity or division in the above scriptures?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 7:18:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/9/2015 6:32:31 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/8/2015 3:38:28 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

You need to clear your head as I never cherry picked anything. I said unity was the focus of the Body, not division, which is why I said in my very first post...

"None, the teachings of Jesus do not support any religious sect or denominations, those are developed based on personal interest and opposing views. If you think otherwise feel free to present something worth my while.
Our focus as the body should be unity, this is why I'm no member of any system and I do not intend to divide myself from others by siding with religion, this is completely useless and has nothing to do with spirituality."

Now explain how I'm a fundie, a toolbag and a cherrypicker....

I'm the opposite of a Pharisee, I'd be glad to see you produce something I've ever said that proves otherwise, feel free to check my post history, sorry you feel the way you do but it's too bad you're so short sided and biased.

If you are not a member of any system why do you claim to be Christian? Christianity is a system of belief which separates itself from other belief systems like Buddhism, Wicca, Taoism, etc. and it also creates division amongst its own members. There are many Christian sects and cults in this world who all argue about whose doctrines are right and whose are false.

Did you read my posts lol? I explained why I'm not a "member". BTW that doesn't mean I don't fellowship.
Of course Christianity is a "system" of beliefs, anything is that is how information works, scripture is information and we use information as a framework to form beliefs, duh. They ALL separate themselves by having varying information, not just Christianity.

No it doesn't create division among its members, people create division. People have created denominations and religious sects despite the fact scripture does not support it and the scriptures precise instructions against it. As I've explained...unity and being in one accord is without a shred of doubt the focus of the body, if you need I can supply plenty of scripture to show you.
I don't need to become a member of any establishment to be Christian Skyangel, I don't know how you formulate that argument but it's ignorant. Christianity before ANYTHING else is a spiritual lifestyle, a commitment to applying spiritual principles. It is a spiritual cultivation not a set of religious doctrines.
However I do visit churches, I am not against the gathering of believers and fellowship, I'm just not going to divide myself from other believers by joining one. When I visit a church or some place of fellowship I go to give only, I'm not there to take or get something my heart is to serve, that's it.

Christianity is a "kingdom divided against itself".

Christianity is the opposite of a "Kingdom divided against itself" silly, think about who quoted that in the first place lol, good job. Anyway no, Christianity is about unity, obviously it is against things as well, but those are the things that cause division as it's stated "25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand"

They preach unity and practice division.

Who's "they", I don't pay attention to what other people do, it has no bearing on scripture or my beliefs.

Matt 10:34-36 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

It's called an illustration, that is not a command or how Jesus taught us to treat people, He is simply making a point.

Is Jesus claiming to bring unity or division in the above scriptures?

Unity.
Some things need to be broken down before they can be rebuilt, there is always resistance to unity but when you cherry pick with an agenda you are blind to the full picture. You and I both know what Jesus preached and here in John 17 we see the full picture

21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Wow I'm impressed Skybird, you never said the words "fantasy, make-believe, fairy tale" LOL!! I'm sure they are coming :) but I do appreciate the attempt to not do so.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 7:42:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?


The answer to that is very simple. The one he set up on earth himself and works with - the JWs.

He would not accept any of the others, for the very reason he had to set a new group up to carry on his message. They are all Satan's counterfeits set up to cause confusion.

Don't worry, even in that impossible circumstance he would already know how true his words at:

Luke 18:8
YLT(i) 8 I say to you, that He will execute the justice to them quickly; but the Son of Man having come, shall he find the faith upon the earth?'

and

Luke 17:26-30
YLT(i) 26 `And, as it came to pass in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of Man; 27 they were eating, they were drinking, they were marrying, they were given in marriage, till the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the deluge came, and destroyed all; 28 in like manner also, as it came to pass in the days of Lot; they were eating, they were drinking, they were buying, they were selling, they were planting, they were building; 29 and on the day Lot went forth from Sodom, He rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed all. 30 `According to these things it shall be, in the day the Son of Man is revealed;

have proved to be.

Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

All of the others.


And why?


because there are only the JW carrying on the work he set for this time, and only they truly doing the will of his father (Matthew 7:21-23).

Not only that, but they have all been set up by Satan in order to carry on misleading the entire inhabited earth (Revelation 12:9).

Even worse, they have hidden his father's name, wi9ch he spent his ministry making known (John 17:6).

Worse yet, they have ignored his instruction to get to know his father and himself (John 17:3) and as a consequence have ended up worshipping false Gods and false Christs. (2 Corinthians 11:4)

The truth of those statements are in the bible for all to see, so they have no excuse.

Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

What say you?

I say it is sad that no-one is listening to Christ's message designed to lead all who wish to follow him to eternal life. However it is their choice, and none are to force them.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 7:48:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/10/2015 7:42:58 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?


The answer to that is very simple. The one he set up on earth himself and works with - the JWs.

He would not accept any of the others, for the very reason he had to set a new group up to carry on his message. They are all Satan's counterfeits set up to cause confusion.

Don't worry, even in that impossible circumstance he would already know how true his words at:

Luke 18:8
YLT(i) 8 I say to you, that He will execute the justice to them quickly; but the Son of Man having come, shall he find the faith upon the earth?'

and

Luke 17:26-30
YLT(i) 26 `And, as it came to pass in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of Man; 27 they were eating, they were drinking, they were marrying, they were given in marriage, till the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the deluge came, and destroyed all; 28 in like manner also, as it came to pass in the days of Lot; they were eating, they were drinking, they were buying, they were selling, they were planting, they were building; 29 and on the day Lot went forth from Sodom, He rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed all. 30 `According to these things it shall be, in the day the Son of Man is revealed;

have proved to be.

Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

All of the others.


And why?


because there are only the JW carrying on the work he set for this time, and only they truly doing the will of his father (Matthew 7:21-23).

Not only that, but they have all been set up by Satan in order to carry on misleading the entire inhabited earth (Revelation 12:9).

Even worse, they have hidden his father's name, wi9ch he spent his ministry making known (John 17:6).

Worse yet, they have ignored his instruction to get to know his father and himself (John 17:3) and as a consequence have ended up worshipping false Gods and false Christs. (2 Corinthians 11:4)

The truth of those statements are in the bible for all to see, so they have no excuse.




Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

What say you?

I say it is sad that no-one is listening to Christ's message designed to lead all who wish to follow him to eternal life. However it is their choice, and none are to force them.

We listen to His message by applying what He taught, that is what Christianity is, it has nothing to do with labels or joining religious sects.
So what you meant to say is that "it's sad no-one is listening to the JW's", is that about correct lol?
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 11:42:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/10/2015 7:48:54 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/10/2015 7:42:58 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

So...say JC were to come back to Earth today. And after he had Himself a nice glass of wine and maybe a couple pieces of fish--as he would most likely be a tad thirsty and hungry after His trip--He was taken on a "world tour" of all the different religions. And also all the different Christian denominations. That is: Catholic; Protestant; Lutherans; Baptists; Pentecostals, LDS, et al.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?


The answer to that is very simple. The one he set up on earth himself and works with - the JWs.

He would not accept any of the others, for the very reason he had to set a new group up to carry on his message. They are all Satan's counterfeits set up to cause confusion.

Don't worry, even in that impossible circumstance he would already know how true his words at:

Luke 18:8
YLT(i) 8 I say to you, that He will execute the justice to them quickly; but the Son of Man having come, shall he find the faith upon the earth?'

and

Luke 17:26-30
YLT(i) 26 `And, as it came to pass in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of Man; 27 they were eating, they were drinking, they were marrying, they were given in marriage, till the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the deluge came, and destroyed all; 28 in like manner also, as it came to pass in the days of Lot; they were eating, they were drinking, they were buying, they were selling, they were planting, they were building; 29 and on the day Lot went forth from Sodom, He rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed all. 30 `According to these things it shall be, in the day the Son of Man is revealed;

have proved to be.

Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

All of the others.


And why?


because there are only the JW carrying on the work he set for this time, and only they truly doing the will of his father (Matthew 7:21-23).

Not only that, but they have all been set up by Satan in order to carry on misleading the entire inhabited earth (Revelation 12:9).

Even worse, they have hidden his father's name, wi9ch he spent his ministry making known (John 17:6).

Worse yet, they have ignored his instruction to get to know his father and himself (John 17:3) and as a consequence have ended up worshipping false Gods and false Christs. (2 Corinthians 11:4)

The truth of those statements are in the bible for all to see, so they have no excuse.




Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

What say you?

I say it is sad that no-one is listening to Christ's message designed to lead all who wish to follow him to eternal life. However it is their choice, and none are to force them.

We listen to His message by applying what He taught, that is what Christianity is, it has nothing to do with labels or joining religious sects.
So what you meant to say is that "it's sad no-one is listening to the JW's", is that about correct lol?

No, I meant exactly what I said, it is sad that people are not listening to, what is actually Jehovah's message, passed down to men and written in scripture to tell us what is coming and how we can avoid getting caught up in it.

It is also sad that the only ones applying what Jesus taught are the JWs. Though if all applied what Jesus and the Apostles taught all would be JWs anyway, because all would be bearing witness to Jehovah as Jesus and the Apostles did (John 17:6).

Like you say, it isn't a name, it's what they do in imitation of Christ, the "fai9thful and true witness" (Revelation 3:14).

Witness to who?

To his father Jehovah of course.

They are the only ones teachings the truth about Jehovah.

They are the only ones teaching the truth about who and what Jesus is.

They are the only ones recognising and teaching the true relationship between the two, just like the Christ and the Apostles did. At current rates, some 6.5 billion are going to die at Armageddon, that's not what God wants, it's not what his son wants, it is not what JWs want.

They have, as Peter said to Jesus, sayings of life, end there is nowhere else to go. (Matthew 7:13,14).
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,609
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 1:18:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/10/2015 11:42:14 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At current rates, some 6.5 billion are going to die at Armageddon, that's not what God wants, it's not what his son wants, it is not what JWs want.

But of course, like any other petty, selfish, psychotic dictator who has a moment of lucidity and moral clarity of not wanting the deaths of billions on their conscience, right before they push the button.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 1:49:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/10/2015 11:42:14 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/10/2015 7:48:54 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 5/10/2015 7:42:58 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/8/2015 1:54:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have a hypothetical question for believers and non-believers alike....

If you are NOT a believer in the physical Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth--as I am not--I will ask you to suspend your disbelief for a moment, in order to answer this question.

Which one do you think He would agree with or condone the most?


The answer to that is very simple. The one he set up on earth himself and works with - the JWs.

He would not accept any of the others, for the very reason he had to set a new group up to carry on his message. They are all Satan's counterfeits set up to cause confusion.

Don't worry, even in that impossible circumstance he would already know how true his words at:

Luke 18:8
YLT(i) 8 I say to you, that He will execute the justice to them quickly; but the Son of Man having come, shall he find the faith upon the earth?'

and


Which would He have no use for? And think were totally AGAINST what He was trying to teach back in his day?

All of the others.


The truth of those statements are in the bible for all to see, so they have no excuse.




Thanks for your time. This could be a fun thread, I think. I would ask any non-believer in please refraining from just answering along the lines of "None..because they are all BS" or "Stupid question, because Jesus never existed." Since..while these are indeed legitimate opinions, they just would contribute nothing to my thread or my curiosity on the subject.

What say you?

I say it is sad that no-one is listening to Christ's message designed to lead all who wish to follow him to eternal life. However it is their choice, and none are to force them.

We listen to His message by applying what He taught, that is what Christianity is, it has nothing to do with labels or joining religious sects.
So what you meant to say is that "it's sad no-one is listening to the JW's", is that about correct lol?

No, I meant exactly what I said, it is sad that people are not listening to, what is actually Jehovah's message, passed down to men and written in scripture to tell us what is coming and how we can avoid getting caught up in it.

No, what you mean is that people are not listening to what you say, and what the JWs say, those have nothing to do with what Christianity is and nothing to do with applying scripture. This is the mentality of a religious person not a spiritual one. This needs to change but we have people who are not pliable with the Spirit of God but rather return to their own vomit.

It is also sad that the only ones applying what Jesus taught are the JWs. Though if all applied what Jesus and the Apostles taught all would be JWs anyway, because all would be bearing witness to Jehovah as Jesus and the Apostles did (John 17:6).

Wrong, you put yourself in a position to judge people falsely, this is what religious people do not spiritual people. Speak for yourself.

Like you say, it isn't a name, it's what they do in imitation of Christ, the "fai9thful and true witness" (Revelation 3:14).


Witness to who?

To his father Jehovah of course.

They are the only ones teachings the truth about Jehovah.

Wrong, that is an opinion and a religious one at that. This have nothing to do with truth or spirituality.

They are the only ones teaching the truth about who and what Jesus is.

Wrong, ignorant opinion like the rest of it. This is what religious people say not spiritual people. You know little about what Christianity is, quite sad.
Spiritual people don't need establishments or religious cults. It's all hogwash and has nothing to do with what Jesus taught.
You are a JW salesmen, nothing more. And this has nothing to do with Christianity.

They are the only ones recognising and teaching the true relationship between the two, just like the Christ and the Apostles did. At current rates, some 6.5 billion are going to die at Armageddon, that's not what God wants, it's not what his son wants, it is not what JWs want.

Wrong, more religious propaganda and brainwashing nonsense. Get a clue about what it means to live a spiritual life as a Christian, then you might drop the religious mindset and control.

They have, as Peter said to Jesus, sayings of life, end there is nowhere else to go. (Matthew 7:13,14).

I don't disagree with Peter, what does this have to do with any religious system?

You must have forgot to read the first part of the chapter lol.....
Matthew 7

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

The narrow gate Madbiker is not religion, the narrow gate is the spiritual path Christ left as an example. The religious mindset is what restricts the Spirit of God and strips it of life. You don't know what the narrow way is apparently especially if you are relating it to a material system, you are nibbling at the a$$ end of the donkey.

Beware of phony religious people that come to tell you about religion rather than God.

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. (Matthew 7).

While we are at it lets just read the rest of that chapter lol.....

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

GUESS who these people are Mad, that's right, RELIGIOUS people lol. Religion is not the narrow gate, Jesus is. Our spiritual personal relation, not an establishment.


24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:

29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

True spirituality comes from within.