Jump to topic:

What would you do?

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 4:21:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Theists, what would you do if a law was passed tomorrow that made simply being atheist a crime, a felony with a lifetime prison sentence. Would you cheer? Would you be happy? Would you be horrified?

Atheists, what would you do if a law was passed that prohibited any and all worship of any kind? Would you be satisfied? Would you think that this was the best thing to ever happen? Would you instantly contact your government representatives and tear them a new one?

Being on the atheist side of the fence, I like to think I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with my religious friends and family and protest it to the greatest extent possible and work to get that law revoked. IN NO WAY to I want of force anyone to give up their beliefs, even if I disagree with them. As Voltaire is supposed to have said, "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

All I want is for religious people to return to me and others who do not believe as they do the respect that they expect for their rights as citizens of our free, secular nation.
baddebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 4:50:20 PM
At 5/8/2015 4:21:12 PM, dhardage wrote:
Theists, what would you do if a law was passed tomorrow that made simply being atheist a crime, a felony with a lifetime prison sentence. Would you cheer? Would you be happy? Would you be horrified?

Atheists, what would you do if a law was passed that prohibited any and all worship of any kind? Would you be satisfied? Would you think that this was the best thing to ever happen? Would you instantly contact your government representatives and tear them a new one?

Being on the atheist side of the fence, I like to think I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with my religious friends and family and protest it to the greatest extent possible and work to get that law revoked. IN NO WAY to I want of force anyone to give up their beliefs, even if I disagree with them. As Voltaire is supposed to have said, "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

All I want is for religious people to return to me and others who do not believe as they do the respect that they expect for their rights as citizens of our free, secular nation. : :

It's very simple to surround yourself with people of all beliefs if you stop judging them.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 5:35:03 PM

All I want is for religious people to return to me and others who do not believe as they do the respect that they expect for their rights as citizens of our free, secular nation.

"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

As an atheist, this quote succinctly provides the basis of my rational.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 1:46:49 PM

Not only horrified. I would disobey that law.

I think most "new atheists" or "antitheists" would be pleased.

I don't believe you have any "religious friends" unless you talk to them a whole lot differently than you talk to the religious here.

Are your "religious friends" part of the "religious people" you speak about above?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 1:52:45 PM

Only if the law stated that no religious conviction of any kind can be held in public or can affect anyone in any way. Other than that, theists are free to believe any nonsense they want, just keep it behind closed doors where it belongs.

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 2:02:02 PM

I believe that religious liberty and a secular government are very noble goals. It is in the nature of religious faith to become even more fervent when it is persecuted. So, not only would such a law be reprehensible on the face of it, it would be counterproductive to its very reason for existing.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 2:32:47 PM

I would be horrified, and I was openly oppose it.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 2:46:15 PM
At 5/11/2015 1:46:49 PM, ethang5 wrote:

I'm a 'new atheist' and I disagree.

I don't believe you have any "religious friends" unless you talk to them a whole lot differently than you talk to the religious here.

Of course I do. They're my friends and we don't argue about religion. They know where I stand and don't try to convert me or convince me I'm wrong or stupid.

Are your "religious friends" part of the "religious people" you speak about above?

Yep, and all of them do just that. We respect one another's viewpoint even though we disagree. I've never known one of them to protest gay marriage or try to get creationism taught in our local schools. Their religion is personal and they like to keep it that way.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 2:59:45 PM
At 5/11/2015 2:46:15 PM, dhardage wrote:

Your posts on the forum argue against you.

Of course I do. They're my friends and we don't argue about religion. They know where I stand and don't try to convert me or convince me I'm wrong or stupid.

Ah, I see. Your personal definition of "religious". Given your demeanor here on the board, one wonders how they ever became your friends

Yep, and all of them do just that.

Whooooooooshh!!!

We respect one another's viewpoint even though we disagree. I've never known one of them to protest gay marriage or try to get creationism taught in our local schools.

In other words, they call themselves "religious" but all believe and behave just like you. I get it.

Their religion is personal and they like to keep it that way.

Unlike you who seek out a religious board to insult theists you imagine have committed some offense against you. Your confusion is airtight.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 3:28:25 PM

I suspect maybe you have missed a space out between a and theist in your first paragraph, so I shall answer working on that assumption, and with one scripture.

Acts 5:29
ASV(i) 29 But Peter and the apostles answered and said, We must obey God rather than men.

I will however add:

There are many JWs preaching in lands where it is illegal to do so, and where the sentence should they be caught is death.

However they remember the Apostle's words above and carry on as discretely as possible.

They also remember Jesus words about being obedient to death if necessary.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 3:30:30 PM
At 5/11/2015 3:28:25 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I suspect maybe you have missed a space out between a and theist in your first paragraph, so I shall answer working on that assumption, and with one scripture.

ASV(i) 29 But Peter and the apostles answered and said, We must obey God rather than men.

I will however add:

There are many JWs preaching in lands where it is illegal to do so, and where the sentence should they be caught is death.

So? There are more non-JW's doing the same thing. So once again, your statement means .... nothing.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 3:35:19 PM

I will however add:

However they remember the Apostle's words above and carry on as discretely as possible.

If you aren't going to answer the question I asked then please don't waste your time and mine with your proselytizing.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 3:40:21 PM
At 5/11/2015 2:59:45 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/11/2015 2:46:15 PM, dhardage wrote:

Ah, I see. Your personal definition of "religious". Given your demeanor here on the board, one wonders how they ever became your friends

I generally treat people as they treat me. I will be polite and respectful until I that respect is not returned. Not really a difficult concept for most.

Whooooooooshh!!!

We respect one another's viewpoint even though we disagree. I've never known one of them to protest gay marriage or try to get creationism taught in our local schools.

In other words, they call themselves "religious" but all believe and behave just like you. I get it.

No, they behave like decent, law abiding citizens who respect both the letter and spirit of the law and show their faith by living a more Chirst-like life. Something you might think about some time.

Unlike you who seek out a religious board to insult theists you imagine have committed some offense against you. Your confusion is airtight.

I come here to express a point of view with people who disagree. That's why it's called a debate site, or did you miss that? If you don't want to hear differing viewpoints, feel free to go to a religious site where they all think like you do.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 3:55:54 PM
At 5/11/2015 3:40:21 PM, dhardage wrote:

I generally treat people as they treat me.

Generally? Why has this board been exempt?

I will be polite and respectful until I that respect is not returned. Not really a difficult concept for most.

You're obviously one of the exceptions.

Whooooooooshh!!!

No, they behave like decent, law abiding citizens who respect both the letter and spirit of the law and show their faith by living a more Chirst-like life. Something you might think about some time.

Funny that you're asking me to live the very life you say you oppose.

I come here to express a point of view with people who disagree. That's why it's called a debate site, or did you miss that?

No. I just think there is no reason to be rude, ignorant, and offensive to those with whom you disagree.

If you don't want to hear differing viewpoints,.......

And become just like you and your "religious friends"? No thanks. For me, "differing viewpoints" doesn't mean they all do only what I like.

....feel free to go to a religious site where they all think like you do.

I did that and the idiot atheists followed me here.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 4:05:23 PM
At 5/11/2015 3:55:54 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 5/11/2015 3:40:21 PM, dhardage wrote:

So you said.

It hasn't. When my opinion is treated with respect I treat the opposing opinion with respect.

I will be polite and respectful until I that respect is not returned. Not really a difficult concept for most.

Whooooooooshh!!!

I never said I opposed living a Christ-like life. I advocate it strongly since he never condemned anyone except hypocrites and the like. He was grace incarnate and warned his follower not to judge others and to remove the planks in their own eye before speaking of the mote in their neighbor's eye. When he was the only one qualified to cast the first stone at the adultress, he chose instead to simply grant her grace and another chance. He never sought fame or fortune, never sought to make laws or force others to believe as he did. He lived a virtuous life and taught his beliefs without ceremony. I've said this before but it bears repeating. Mohandas Ghandi is reputed to have said. "I quite like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike him." Let Christians behave like Christ, with humility and forgiveness, demonstrating their faith by the way they live and not trying to impose it on anyone else and you'll never hear another complaint about the faith from me.

I come here to express a point of view with people who disagree. That's why it's called a debate site, or did you miss that?

No. I just think there is no reason to be rude, ignorant, and offensive to those with whom you disagree.

Then why are you so frequently all of those things to anyone who disagrees? As you say, your posts here argue against you.

And become just like you and your "religious friends"? No thanks. For me, "differing viewpoints" doesn't mean they all do only what I like.

That makes no sense at all.

Well, I can't speak for them. This is a debate site so either debate or leave. It's a simple decision, really.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 4:59:44 PM
At 5/11/2015 4:05:23 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/11/2015 3:55:54 PM, ethang5 wrote:

It hasn't.

Generally means more often than not.

When my opinion is treated with respect I treat the opposing opinion with respect.

That is untrue. If you truly believe this, you lack self-awareness to an alarming degree.

Whooooooooshh!!!

I never said I opposed living a Christ-like life.

You oppose a Christ like life. Of course, you have your personal definition of a Christ like life, but you do oppose the one set out in the Bible.

I advocate it strongly since he never condemned anyone except hypocrites and the like.

He was able to do that because He wasn't a hypocrite, and He was omnipotent. Things not true of you.

He was grace incarnate and warned his follower not to judge others and to remove the planks in their own eye before speaking of the mote in their neighbor's eye. When he was the only one qualified to cast the first stone at the adultress, he chose instead to simply grant her grace and another chance. He never sought fame or fortune, never sought to make laws or force others to believe as he did. He lived a virtuous life and taught his beliefs without ceremony.

Yet you don't follow Him and want Christians not to openly encourage others to be this way. Funny huh?

I've said this before but it bears repeating. Mohandas Ghandi is reputed to have said. "I quite like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike him."

Was it a Christian who assassinated him? If he liked Christ, why did he not find Christ worthy to be emulated and believed?

Let Christians behave like Christ, with humility and forgiveness, demonstrating their faith by the way they live and not trying to impose it on anyone else and you'll never hear another complaint about the faith from me.

Liar. You would still complain. And you need to behave with humility and forgiveness also. It is in fact Christ you hate. The more one behaves like Him, the more you'd hate them.

Christ's religion wasn't "personal". At least not the Christ in the Bible.

Then why are you so frequently all of those things to anyone who disagrees?

Check my posts. I am never rude with someone who is polite and respectful. But atheist barge into the site with the idea that theism deserves ridicule and abuse. They have said so here. They are so knee-jerkedly rude, that sometimes the person they have started being abusive to has to say, "Dude, I'm an atheist and I'm agreeing with you!"

And just as Paul was sent to the gentiles, I was sent to the Trolls. The idiots who think they can be rude and obnoxious while Christians have to "turn the other cheek". You think it's because we disagree, no, it's because the person has been needlessly rude and idiotic, and most times not to me.

That makes no sense at all.

You should have thought about it more before you posted it then.

Well, I can't speak for them.

You can speak for at least one of them.

This is a debate site so either debate or leave. It's a simple decision, really.

How about the theists stay on the religious board an the atheists leave?

I know, I know. Who would you hypothetically hate then?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 5:21:08 PM

Sheer madness. Their insanity knows no bounds. They go to cause as much conflict as they possibly can, in places where the law has penalties of death, but they offend, notwithstanding.

Beyond bat sh1t crazy.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 5:28:10 PM

I'm a Christian, but I wouldn't be happy if being an atheist was a crime. I mean we are human. People are entitled to their own opinion. They chose what they want to believe and how they live their life. Nobody should tell them otherwise.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Iredia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 5:29:21 PM
At 5/11/2015 1:52:45 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Only if the law stated that no religious conviction of any kind can be held in public or can affect anyone in any way. Other than that, theists are free to believe any nonsense they want, just keep it behind closed doors where it belongs.

You must be a bigoted atheist to support a move that stifles a public display of religious conviction.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 6:01:48 PM
At 5/11/2015 5:29:21 PM, Iredia wrote:

You must be a bigoted atheist to support a move that stifles a public display of religious conviction.

Why would any believer want to turn their personal, private, eerie, relationship with their cult into a public spectacle? It's bad enough you have grotesque meeting places to worship littering up the landscape taking up valuable living space operating tax free. At the very least, you could keep your nonsense behind those closed doors.
baddebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 9:06:31 PM
At 5/11/2015 6:01:48 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Why would any believer want to turn their personal, private, eerie, relationship with their cult into a public spectacle? It's bad enough you have grotesque meeting places to worship littering up the landscape taking up valuable living space operating tax free. At the very least, you could keep your nonsense behind those closed doors. : :

At the very least, they could pay taxes so the governments that collect them could continue helping poor people in this world.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 3:47:12 AM
At 5/11/2015 9:06:31 PM, baddebater wrote:

Why would any believer want to turn their personal, private, eerie, relationship with their cult into a public spectacle? It's bad enough you have grotesque meeting places to worship littering up the landscape taking up valuable living space operating tax free. At the very least, you could keep your nonsense behind those closed doors. : :

At the very least, they could pay taxes so the governments that collect them could continue helping poor people in this world.

All JWs pay their taxes in full, they obey Jesus command to "pay Caesar's things to Caesar".
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 3:53:51 AM
At 5/11/2015 5:21:08 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Sheer madness. Their insanity knows no bounds. They go to cause as much conflict as they possibly can, in places where the law has penalties of death, but they offend, notwithstanding.

Beyond bat sh1t crazy.

A typical Dangermouse comment.

Just like any JW, conflict is the last thing they want, hence they are as discrete as possible, but as Jesus said it would be, it is an inevitable result as long as there are people like you to bring the conflict to them.

And you don't even have the guts or honesty to admit that it is your aggressive responses that cause the conflict.

As proof, there are many people on here who don't agree with me, some very strongly, but with whom I have no conflict whatever, and they are far more deserving of respect than those who, like you, bring conflict in their wake and don't have the moral courage to admit it is their doing.

The difference being I suppose, that they believe in freedom of speech and religion whereas deep inside you don't.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 3:56:45 AM

Very much so, and not only that but Dangermouse is such a coward that he can't even admit to himself that it is such as eh who cause the conflict, whereas many others on here who don't agree with me, just leave me to get along with it and either ignore me, or, if I comment on one of their posts simply give me a polite, adult, rebuttal, and we agree to disagree.
YoshiBoy13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 5:08:20 AM

This is a kind of extreme question - it's like picking between the Nazis and the Communists. They're both bad, because they're too extreme. You're not allowing a middle ground. I would not be in support of either law.
- Just because you're narrow-minded doesn't mean you're always right.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 5:21:57 AM
At 5/12/2015 5:08:20 AM, YoshiBoy13 wrote:

This is a kind of extreme question - it's like picking between the Nazis and the Communists. They're both bad, because they're too extreme. You're not allowing a middle ground. I would not be in support of either law.

"Those who walk the middle of the road, inevitably get run over by events" Sorry, can't remember who said it.

The middle ground is the bit that opens up in an earthquake and swallows all who are on it.

Truth is truth, falsehood is falsehood, and never the twain shall meet.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 6:36:08 AM

The latter, though in irritation.

At balance here is protecting citizens from religious hegemonism vs. protecting them from a law that I think would be immoral, tyrannous and unenforceable.

Religious hegemonism is where people of particular faiths club together to take over. This happens in (for example) seeking to introduce mandatory prayer in schools and workplaces, or enshrining worship in the civic rituals of legislatures and courts. Some of it has historical antecedents, but seeking to renew it is an attempt to undermine secularism. When it gets egregious, I can see the need for law against it,

But that's not this case. This case forbids worship privately or publicly at all, regardless of whether everyone attending is like-mined, or whether it intrudes on the peaceful activities of others. Such a law would necessarily probe into every ritual artistic performance; it'd hold citizens accountable for what they'd been taught; persecute people who've done no harm to anyone; and would have far greater impacts than intended.

I'd oppose it, though I can't see myself turning up at a prayer-meeting protest.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 7:31:19 AM

In Jehovah's eyes being an atheist is already a crime, what man does about that is his business, but God will act accordingly when the time comes.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 7:36:23 AM
At 5/12/2015 7:31:19 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

In Jehovah's eyes being an atheist is already a crime, what man does about that is his business, but God will act accordingly when the time comes.
Good thing you do your god's thinking for him.
Hubris much?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
baddebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 8:53:53 AM
At 5/12/2015 3:47:12 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/11/2015 9:06:31 PM, baddebater wrote:

All JWs pay their taxes in full, they obey Jesus command to "pay Caesar's things to Caesar". : :

I wasn't talking about each individual who is forced to pay income taxes and other taxes. I was talking about individual churches who are exempt to pay taxes on the gathering of charities. Besides, how much of the wealth collected in charities by both governments and churches is used to help the poor of this world?