Jump to topic:

Your dresscode

Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 12:02:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is your religious dress code? Means which minimum part of body is considered to be covered by clothes (for both male & female)? Or state the case if your religion either don't provide the concerning teachings i.e. silent or if it don't require to cover at all (then what [cultural] format you follow & why)?

[And if you're an atheist, you can share your personal view about "purpose of clothing" or general atheistic consensus over it, but please don't spam as you can disagree but can't quarrel]

I wanna know how much we have common in religions (what I can notice, currently DDO have Christians, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists & Atheists more active. Thus expecting your "personal" as well as your exact "scholarly" jurisdictions, along your religion name mentioned as well.

(Trolling, spamming & derailing would be notified to moderator, so I'm inviting only real participants who understand the thread topic requirements)

Your (useful) shared information would be appreciated.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 12:05:28 PM
.........Also many people don't understand (& practice) their religion very well (being not very religious). Thus please don't make guesses but provide true information, only if you know or after asking your knowledgeable ones.
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 12:58:38 PM
If women ruled over men, would they dress like this?

http://images.rapgenius.com...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 1:23:35 PM
Share only if you have something relevant to say, don't post your queries here (that comes under spamming).
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 2:21:03 PM
As an agnostic, I recall I used to wear a lot of T-shirts. But as an atheist I wear polo-shirts.

Dawkins, I note, wears them too at times. It makes sense: God's not going to save you, so you may as well be comfortable. But on the other hand, you've taken a more considered position than agnosticism, so you need a collar.

Polo-shirts = atheism. It stands to reason.

And if your boss tells you to stop wearing polo shirts to work, you always can snarl at him, "So you hate ATHEISTS, do ya, you godbotherer?" Try it! You might get fired, but at least you'd be asserting your religious freedoms.

And speaking of religious freedoms, what's with all those bleach-toothed Christian counselors at summer camps all around the US, horning in on atheist preserves?

Get out of the Lacoste, poseurs! You haven't earned the right.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 2:29:37 PM
At 5/14/2015 1:23:35 PM, Dazz wrote:
Share only if you have something relevant to say, don't post your queries here (that comes under spamming).

I did exactly as you asked, right here:

"And if you're an atheist, you can share your personal view about "purpose of clothing" or general atheistic consensus over it"
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 8:31:42 PM
At 5/14/2015 12:02:49 PM, Dazz wrote:

Currently, I don't really feel like any label accurately describes me appropriately. Ignostic (with an i) atheist probably describes me best right now.

Having no religion I have no obligatory dress code, but as far as the purpose of clothing goes - we are not like the other animals and we need clothes to protect us from the elements (cold, sun, wind, rain, etc.) We need to dress accordingly.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 9:06:26 PM
At 5/14/2015 8:31:42 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Currently, I don't really feel like any label accurately describes me appropriately. Ignostic (with an i) atheist probably describes me best right now.

Antipathic
To
Hierology
Even
If
Sanctimoniously
Threatened

I'm an acrostic atheist.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 9:18:02 PM
At 5/14/2015 9:06:26 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 5/14/2015 8:31:42 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Antipathic
To
Hierology
Even
If
Sanctimoniously
Threatened

I'm an acrostic atheist.

Haha, you funny guy!

http://img.photobucket.com...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 5:02:47 AM
At 5/14/2015 2:21:03 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
As an agnostic, I recall I used to wear a lot of T-shirts. But as an atheist I wear polo-shirts.

Dawkins, I note, wears them too at times. It makes sense: God's not going to save you, so you may as well be comfortable. But on the other hand, you've taken a more considered position than agnosticism, so you need a collar.

Wasn't your atheism shaken just a little when you lost your polo shirts from the washing line?

And if your boss tells you to stop wearing polo shirts to work, you always can snarl at him, "So you hate ATHEISTS, do ya, you godbotherer?" Try it! You might get fired, but at least you'd be asserting your religious freedoms.

And speaking of religious freedoms, what's with all those bleach-toothed Christian counselors at summer camps all around the US, horning in on atheist preserves?

Get out of the Lacoste, poseurs! You haven't earned the right.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 5:36:05 AM
Mon-Wed I wear my gorilla suit, Thu-Fri I wear my alien suit and on the weekend it's full on in my dolphin suit, I like to have a swim.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 6:04:55 AM
At 5/15/2015 5:02:47 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/14/2015 2:21:03 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
Dawkins, I note, wears them too at times.
Wasn't your atheism shaken just a little when you lost your polo shirts from the washing line?
Very much so, Dee-Em! As you know, I recently turned to DDO for theological advice [http://www.debate.org...] on this powerful spiritual experience, but our more theistic colleagues seem to have missed the chance for an easy conversion. :p

But with the wisdom of greater years, I think LURID fluoro polo-shirts probably aren't really the thing for atheists these days. They're far too bright, even for Brights, as Dawkins likes to call us.

If they hadn't been stolen, maybe I could have donated them to the Rajneeshis (thought they're now defunct.) I've heard of drug-Christians; are there acid-atheists who'd appreciate them?

But regardless, whether it was God or the ghost of Chuckie Darwin spiriting them away from my washing-line those decades ago, I'm not wearing them any more, and feel a better atheist for it now, in navy or mustard or green.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 6:06:31 AM
What is your religious dress code? Means which minimum part of body is considered to be covered by clothes (for both male & female)? Or state the case if your religion either don't provide the concerning teachings i.e. silent or if it don't require to cover at all (then what [cultural] format you follow & why)?

[And if you're an atheist, you can share your personal view about "purpose of clothing" or general atheistic consensus over it, but please don't spam as you can disagree but can't quarrel]

I wanna know how much we have common in religions (what I can notice, currently DDO have Christians, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists & Atheists more active. Thus expecting your "personal" as well as your exact "scholarly" jurisdictions, along your religion name mentioned as well.

(Trolling, spamming & derailing would be notified to moderator, so I'm inviting only real participants who understand the thread topic requirements)

What a very silly thread, but then your threads are nonsense!
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 7:18:18 AM

Atheists do not have any guidance apart from their own experience, so you won't find a common dresscode for them. Personaly, I don't consider there's a need to cover any part of the body unless you feel the need to be warm, fashionable and/or evade social prejudice. I have a lot of clothing on winter, little on summer, and none on the beach :D
Legendary_Houp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 7:45:52 AM
As a Protestant Christian, I believe that you should cover up enough that you don't tempt anybody to sin by lusting after you. You should respect yourself enough that you don't try to get people to try imagining you naked or something similar.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 7:56:02 AM
At 5/15/2015 7:45:52 AM, Legendary_Houp wrote:
As a Protestant Christian, I believe that you should cover up enough that you don't tempt anybody to sin by lusting after you. You should respect yourself enough that you don't try to get people to try imagining you naked or something similar.

How much covering is going to achieve no lust and how do you expect the procreation of the human race sans lust?
Legendary_Houp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 8:13:36 AM
At 5/15/2015 7:56:02 AM, bulproof wrote:

How much covering is going to achieve no lust and how do you expect the procreation of the human race sans lust?

Well, tops can't be too low that it shows off cleavage, and anything that accentuates any part of the body that is normally sexualized. I mean, people are still going to be motivated by lust, but that is their fault, as long as you aren't trying to provoke it further, you're good. I would say most school/work dress codes are acceptable. And through love? Marrying someone you really do care for, not just for their body. After that, sex is acceptable.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 8:23:02 AM
At 5/15/2015 8:13:36 AM, Legendary_Houp wrote:

Well, tops can't be too low that it shows off cleavage, and anything that accentuates any part of the body that is normally sexualized. I mean, people are still going to be motivated by lust, but that is their fault, as long as you aren't trying to provoke it further, you're good. I would say most school/work dress codes are acceptable. And through love? Marrying someone you really do care for, not just for their body. After that, sex is acceptable.

Sex is perfectly acceptable between consenting adults, gay or straight, who are not cheating on their partners!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 8:26:19 AM

So as a 16yr old you have absolutely no knowledge of which you parrot from an ignorant pastor from your uneducated church. Well done.
Tell me about LUST and it's part in human reproduction? I'd be fascinated by your insight.
Legendary_Houp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 8:30:51 AM

Sex is perfectly acceptable between consenting adults, gay or straight, who are not cheating on their partners!

Well, that is a perfectly acceptable opinion outside of the Bible. But I believe the Bible to be true, so let's peacefully agree to disagree.

The reason that the Bible prohibits sex outside of marriage is because the Bible wants us to focus on real love. God wants us to have lasting, loving relationships where we truly care about the person we are married to/having sex with. Sex is not just for selfish pleasure, but it should be an expression of the love that a married couple has for each other. You may say that couples outside of marriage may equally love each other that way, but the reason sex is prohibited outside of marriage is because God truly wants to make sure that you love each other. Why have sex with someone if you don't love them enough to marry them?
Legendary_Houp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 8:32:31 AM
At 5/15/2015 8:26:19 AM, bulproof wrote:

So as a 16yr old you have absolutely no knowledge of which you parrot from an ignorant pastor from your uneducated church. Well done.
Tell me about LUST and it's part in human reproduction? I'd be fascinated by your insight.

I'm confused by your question? All I saw in there was a low insult to a person you know nothing about.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 8:34:58 AM
At 5/15/2015 8:30:51 AM, Legendary_Houp wrote:

Well, that is a perfectly acceptable opinion outside of the Bible. But I believe the Bible to be true, so let's peacefully agree to disagree.

The reason that the Bible prohibits sex outside of marriage is because the Bible wants us to focus on real love. God wants us to have lasting, loving relationships where we truly care about the person we are married to/having sex with. Sex is not just for selfish pleasure, but it should be an expression of the love that a married couple has for each other. You may say that couples outside of marriage may equally love each other that way, but the reason sex is prohibited outside of marriage is because God truly wants to make sure that you love each other. Why have sex with someone if you don't love them enough to marry them?

As an ignorant misogynist slave owner (and killer) I have some really serious messages to impart to you.
Will you LISTEN?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 8:36:51 AM
At 5/15/2015 8:32:31 AM, Legendary_Houp wrote:
I'm confused by your question? All I saw in there was a low insult to a person you know nothing about.
Here try this.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 8:46:24 AM
You dress according to the weather. When it is cold you wear more, when it is hot you wear less. Humans do not regulate their body temperatures as well as animals.
For the sake of modesty we cover our private parts. But women have won the right to go topless in places where men also go topless. Only a eunuch would protest this equality.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 8:55:43 AM

Sorry, but the way one dresses has nothing to do with the way others conduct themselves. If others can't control themselves, that's their problem.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with lusting after people it's perfectly normal. Acting on one's lust is a different story.
Legendary_Houp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:04:37 AM
At 5/15/2015 8:55:43 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Sorry, but the way one dresses has nothing to do with the way others conduct themselves. If others can't control themselves, that's their problem.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with lusting after people it's perfectly normal. Acting on one's lust is a different story.

I agree, but there are plenty of people, men and women, who find it extremely difficult not to lust after someone, even though they try their hardest. Dressing immodestly only provokes that.
Legendary_Houp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:05:49 AM
At 5/15/2015 8:36:51 AM, bulproof wrote:
Here try this.

If sex is within a loving and caring relationship, it shouldn't be about lust. Lust is personal selfish desire for sex. Sex within marriage is an expression of love and caring for the other person.
Legendary_Houp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:09:07 AM
At 5/15/2015 9:04:37 AM, Legendary_Houp wrote:

I agree, but there are plenty of people, men and women, who find it extremely difficult not to lust after someone, even though they try their hardest. Dressing immodestly only provokes that.

Think of it this way, let's say there is someone who wants to buy a gun from me. Let's pretend that I am somehow 90% certain that he will use that gun to commit a murder. Should I sell him the gun? The murder may have been his choice, but by selling him the gun, I am really only helping him along to do something he really shouldn't do.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:09:21 AM
At 5/15/2015 9:04:37 AM, Legendary_Houp wrote:

If you focus on the weather you will be less distracted.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 9:09:25 AM
At 5/15/2015 9:05:49 AM, Legendary_Houp wrote:
At 5/15/2015 8:36:51 AM, bulproof wrote:
Here try this.

If sex is within a loving and caring relationship, it shouldn't be about lust. Lust is personal selfish desire for sex. Sex within marriage is an expression of love and caring for the other person.

And you have been told this by who?
Because it is patently obvious that your contention is not borne of experience.
Tell me all about lust between a couple.